Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Basically I was being an idiot and didn't really understand it much, also assumed that a new rom would probably brick my phone. I've installed leedroid and its p awesome, but it came up with some signature verification failure and while I was trying to reboot clockwork it just sort of fixed itself, no idea how but i'm not complaining. Finally my desire is actually useable I can have as many apps as I want at long last. I will not be touching the rom manager again though, the whole process was scary and stressful, it works now and I'm leaving it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

Basically I was being an idiot and didn't really understand it much, also assumed that a new rom would probably brick my phone. I've installed leedroid and its p awesome, but it came up with some signature verification failure and while I was trying to reboot clockwork it just sort of fixed itself, no idea how but i'm not complaining. Finally my desire is actually useable I can have as many apps as I want at long last. I will not be touching the rom manager again though, the whole process was scary and stressful, it works now and I'm leaving it at that.

The whole process, once you have rom manage installed, is going "This looks fun *click*" and it will download and install new roms for you. It's just the initial rooting process that can be a bit of a clusterfuck.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

The whole process, once you have rom manage installed, is going "This looks fun *click*" and it will download and install new roms for you. It's just the initial rooting process that can be a bit of a clusterfuck.

Im very happy with what Ive got now though. With the same apps installed in stock my internal memory was full, now I have 116mb free, this kicks rear end. Also I still have the sense stuff and apparently an add blocker, I'm over the moon with this I just wish it came like this stock. I might have another go at it, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with this for some time.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Solly posted:

Is it at all possible to use A2SD without installing a custom rom, I have searched and searched the xda forums and most of it is going way over my head, but I cant find a simple answer or guide anywhere, please forgive me if I am being an idiot.

Just get DarkTremor's A2SD. It's the best one you can get at the mo, and if you boot without your SD card in it doesn't completely gently caress up.

Also I tried out Leedroid a while ago. The battery is terrible and it actually died on me while I got stuck in London because my trains made me miss my connections and I had to wander around until 3 in the loving morning with my giant gently caress off suitcase with several London rips and holes in it full of milk and other groceries until I got to a Hotel which charged me eighty loving quid for one night oh god gently caress Leedroid so loving hard asiasfhha aAHDF ADFHDSSDSUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

But yeah, terrible battery life. And your phone could die at a very inopportune moment and people could seem to think your a terrorist and not let you charge up your phone.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Turnquiet posted:

I missed the initial rush to update my rooted Evo with the new OTA stock rom and radios. Anyone have a link to the new radios and a stock, rooted rom?

Question semi-related to this - what are the radios part of, if anything? If I flash CM, does that affect the radios at all, or are they completely separate?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Megaspel posted:

Just get DarkTremor's A2SD. It's the best one you can get at the mo, and if you boot without your SD card in it doesn't completely gently caress up.

Also I tried out Leedroid a while ago. The battery is terrible and it actually died on me while I got stuck in London because my trains made me miss my connections and I had to wander around until 3 in the loving morning with my giant gently caress off suitcase with several London rips and holes in it full of milk and other groceries until I got to a Hotel which charged me eighty loving quid for one night oh god gently caress Leedroid so loving hard asiasfhha aAHDF ADFHDSSDSUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

But yeah, terrible battery life. And your phone could die at a very inopportune moment and people could seem to think your a terrorist and not let you charge up your phone.

Why might it die? because of the overclocking?

Edit: also will things like setcpu override the settings of this rom, if possible Id like to clock it back to normal, I dont have any issues with speed and I'd rather preserve battery life

Solly fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 26, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Babby’s First MIUI

MIUI is a ROM developed by the MIUI team. No, we don’t know what it means. It’s just loving fancy.

MIUI is developed by a team of Chinese developers. Based on Android 2.2 (Froyo), it has a fairly complete UI overhaul, as well as introducing a variety of new features. The source is currently not available, but it has been given to Cyanogen and he’s incorporated parts of it into CM.

There’s an incredibly fast pace to this ROM development - we’re currently in beta, and seeing a new build released every Friday like clockwork. Every week has new features and bug fixes.

Basically, imagine a blending of Android and iPhone. It takes a lot of stylistic queues from iPhone, while retaining a lot of what’s fundamentally Android. Calling it an iPhone ripoff is missing the point.

Key Features:

• Scrollable notification tray power control, including underclocking the CPU and rebooting.
  • New lockscreen which has direct shortcuts for Phone/SMS, as well as displaying missed calls and text messages without unlocking.
  • Built in SMS Popups
  • Fancy new launcher (detailed below)
  • New settings app with a much better layout
  • Option of list(iphone) or grid(android) for menus.
  • Built in theme system (basically Metamorph) with support for custom icons for apps (like ADW)
  • Improved SMS, Contacts and Dialer(T9) applications).
  • Built in MIUI Backup, which features Titanium-Backup and Nandriod functions.
  • New Music, Camera and Gallery applications.
  • Built in File Explorer, which also supports FTP-server for remote access.
  • ”Firewall”, which allows you to restrict apps to 3G or WiFi only, as well as tracking data use, SMS use and voice minute usage.
  • Screenshot shortcut - Menu + Vol Down - this works even without physical softkeys(like the N1).

So what’s this new Launcher?

The Launcher is based on Launcher2, like most of the current replacements. It supports hot-adding new home screens, as well as drag-and-drop rearrangement of homescreens. It also features an improved widget selector, showing you the size of the widget, as well as allowing you to drag it to specific screens.

It mimics the iPhone, in that there is no app drawer - all apps just add an icon to the homescreen. Luckily, the built-in folder functionality is a bit nicer than stock Android’s, allowing you to easily drag and drop apps into folders. Like the iPhone, it also has a dock bar across the bottom which persists across screens and can support multiple shortcuts as well as folders. If you really wanted to, you could create a single folder on this dock and use it like an appdrawer.

Luckily, this launcher isn’t required, so don’t let it deter you - you can easily install GoLauncher, ADW or LP as you like - this is Android, afterall.

So let’s say I’m sold. How do I install?

First, this is HDPI only - sorry last gen/budget phones.

Check out http://www.miui-dev.com - this is the English home of MIUI. Anywhere else you get roms will probably be taking their translations and tossing poo poo on top. They put in all the hard work and are the best available.

Drop by the MIUI-Dev forums and find your phone on the list - if it’s not there, it’s not officially supported. You might have some luck finding a hacked together version on XDA, but it’s not certain.

Stickied to the top will be 2 threads:

MIUI <VERSION_NUMBER> DEODEXED <DEVICE> (CHINESE) MIUI-DEV
MIUI <VERSION_NUMBER> <DEVICE> ENGLISH PACK #<TRANSLATIONREVISION>

You’ll need to go into both of these and download the files in the OPs - you should end up with 2 zips, a deodex and an English pack.

On your device, WIPE WIPE WIPE. Do not try to go from another rom to MIUI without wiping - poo poo will gently caress up. Wipe your data and cache, as well as sdext and a2sd partitions. Start fresh for MIUI.

Install the Deodex. Then, without rebooting, flash the English pack on top of it. Doing one without the other will not work.

Boot your phone, and enjoy MIUI.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Im so confused by this whole thing, does leedroid overclock my phone or not? if so how do I get it back to normal speeds. I just want this as normal and stable as possible but with extra room for apps and no one seems to want to explain things for idiots like me.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Trip report for the Viewsonic G-Tablet (Gtab):

Tech Specs:

code:
Operating system 	Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Power 	3,650 mAh battery

CPU 	1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 - Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU

Storage capacity 	16GB internal Flash memory (expandable up to 32GB via SD Card)

Memory 	512 MB

Display 	10.1" TFT-LCD multi touch capacitative screen with LED driver system and 1024x600 resolution

Input 	Multi-touch screen

Camera 	1.3 MP AF camera

Connectivity 	Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, mini-USB (Host), USB 2.0 (Slave)

Dimensions 	6.8 in (170 mm) (h)
10.5 in (270 mm) (w)
0.54 in (14 mm) (d)
Weight 	1.55 lb (700 g)
Stock

First off, in stock form it's a complete piece of poo poo. It uses a restrictively skinned flavor of Android called Tap'n'Talk which is basically the much more evil cousin of Moto Blur. It's incredibly slow, laggy, and basically unuseable. It was so bad that Staples actually pulled it off their shelves until Viewsonic could put out an OTA update to fix some of the major issues. Sad thing is, even with the OTA update, it's still a piece of poo poo.

I also encountered an issue (which seems to happen to the majority of the Gtabs, and the main reason for returns) with the touchscreen not being properly calibrated. In landscape mode, the upper 50% of the screen wouldn't register any input whatsoever. Besides the crappy OS, the input issues would have made this an immediate return and refund. This is an easily fixable issue involving copying a blank .ini file into the root directory, however the fact that 50% of the screen didn't work made turning on USB Storage on the Gtab quite the chore. However once fixed, it's great.

It's really hard to review the tablet in stock form as it's terribly hindered by it's stock software.

Size wise, it's a larger mofo. The 10" screen is great, however it has issues with viewing angles. If you're not looking straight on, you get weird colors, washing out, etc. When I switched from the OG Droid to the DX, the OG Droid seemed incredibly tiny and the DX mammoth. Now that I have the Gtab, the mammoth DX seems tiny and my OG Droid looks like a toy.

Haven't really been able to measure battery life. The documentation says you need to charge it for a full 4 hours before use. I started to play with it about 3 hours in and Android is reporting a full battery. Even with heavy use all day and all night, I'm still running 100%. They claim you should get about 10 hours worth of battery on a single charge.

Rooted and Customized

This is where the Gtab gets awesome and is seriously the only reason people should buy it. The 3rd party support for this thing is awesome.

You need to be comfortable with rooting before you take this endeavor as it's not as simple as "Download zRoot4, run ClockworkMod, done." However, since you're reading the Android Rooting thread, you've probably rooted your phone already and know the basic mechanics. The good news is, since there's such a following on XDA and the net in general, there are plenty of step by step guide on how to install Clockwork Mod, install your ROM, and get Flash and the Market working properly. Rooting and installing BB or CM on my OG Droid was less demanding than the Gtab, but I was able to do it pretty easily due to the amount of guides already on the net.

There are 5 ROM's you can throw on your Gtab.

quote:

TnT Lite

VEGAn-Tab

ZPad Clean

CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread) (CM 6.1 is an alternate)

Notion Ink Adam ROM Port

I'm using VEGAn-Tab which is based on Cyanogen Mod and considered the best ROMs out of the 5 currently avaiable. I did try CM7 but it's still in beta phase and it shows.

With the customized OS and recalibrated screen, this is an awesome tablet. Browsing the net is easy and for the most part it doesn't choke on flash heavy sites. There is no swype support yet, however typing on the onscreen keyboard is pretty easy due to the sheer size of it.

As I posted earlier, Viewsonic hasn't officially come out and said that this will support Honeycomb. It's been hard enough for them to push OTA updates to fix their buggy OS. However with the current 3rd party support, I wouldn't be surprised if there's unofficial Honeycomb support down the line.

Bottom line:

Do not buy this if you're not going to root it. You'll be very disappointed if you do and will probably return it. However, if you're willing to put in the extra few minutes to get a custom rom on and do a few minor hacks, this is a great tablet. I purchased mine for $375 from OfficeDepot ($398 out the door with tax) and that's still cheaper than some of the other offerings out there. Your local Sears should have them at $399. Amazon also sells them along with many of the online retailers.

All I wanted was something I could surf the web from my couch and do other Android things (stream video, play Angry Birds) and this more than meets my expectation (once rooted). While all those things I could do on my DX, it's nice to to do them on the 10" screen.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 26, 2011

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
I have a (probably) dumb question about nandroid backups.

I want to flash to one of the Epic ROMs based on the leaked 2.2 update. Right now I'm making a backup in Clockwork Mod Recovery of my phone while it's still running 2.1. If I decide that I don't want to run 2.2 anymore, can I just restore the 2.1 backup that I took over-top of the 2.2 or do I need to reflash 2.1 and then run the restore?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Casao posted:

Stickied to the top will be 2 threads:

MIUI <VERSION_NUMBER> DEODEXED <DEVICE> (CHINESE) MIUI-DEV
MIUI <VERSION_NUMBER> <DEVICE> ENGLISH PACK #<TRANSLATIONREVISION>

Neither one of these are stickied under the Evo thread for me but I was able to find the English pack one. No luck on the Deodexed. Any help?

edit: found it under [UPDATE]New Official Release Thread [0.1.21.2]

Gonna try this out and I'll report back.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 26, 2011

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Megaspel posted:

Your right, its a horrible rom, it kills the battery instantly and games run like absolute crap in it. I think i'll just switch back to stock and use titanium backup to store apps im not using so much. Unless anyone knows of a decent rom for a desire that has htc sense?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MindlessHavok posted:

Neither one of these are stickied under the Evo thread for me but I was able to find the English pack one. No luck on the Deodexed. Any help?

edit: found it under [UPDATE]New Official Release Thread [0.1.21.2]

Gonna try this out and I'll report back.

Ah, I assumed they all followed the ones I'd seen. It looks like EVO's a port, not an actual Chinese rom, didn't know they supported any of those around those parts. Looks like it's actually only the N1 and HTC Desire (GSM) that have official roms, and everything else is just a port. That's disappointing.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

When I try and do anything in clockwork recovery I get signature verification failed, searching on goolge has led me to believe that this means Im using the stock recovery, but it does indeed say clockwork recovery at the top and as far as I can tell it installed itself ok. If anyone knows how I can get around this I would be grateful because I can see it becoming a problem rather soon when it wont let me restore something because of verification.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casao posted:

Ah, I assumed they all followed the ones I'd seen. It looks like EVO's a port, not an actual Chinese rom, didn't know they supported any of those around those parts. Looks like it's actually only the N1 and HTC Desire (GSM) that have official roms, and everything else is just a port. That's disappointing.

I've played with it a little and while I like it a lot there's a few things that bug me a little.

The Launcher really seems like it's trying to be an iPhone clone. I know you say it's not but they're almost exactly alike. Not a big deal though since it's easy to use LauncherPro or any others, like you said.

Another thing I've noticed is that now that I've swapped ROMs to MIUI my phone can't read .pngs, anything to say about that?

Also the keyboard shortcuts arent there in MIUI's keyboard interface. Meaning how with the stock keyboard you could hold down a letter to get some sort of punctuation, you can't do that here. You have to hit a separate button to get to punctuation. Not really a big deal though, I'm just used to the other way.

Other than that I love how the Gallery interface is. I love the icons and everything seems to run really smooth. At this point I'm planning on keeping it and continuing to mess around with it. The only thing that would deter me is battery life but obviously it'll be a bit before I can say anything about that.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 27, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Dayne posted:

I have a (probably) dumb question about nandroid backups.

I want to flash to one of the Epic ROMs based on the leaked 2.2 update. Right now I'm making a backup in Clockwork Mod Recovery of my phone while it's still running 2.1. If I decide that I don't want to run 2.2 anymore, can I just restore the 2.1 backup that I took over-top of the 2.2 or do I need to reflash 2.1 and then run the restore?
With Galaxy S phones you must first flash your original rom with odin, then restore the nandroid. Galaxy S nandroids do not touch the Kernel and some other lower level stuff like they do on other phones. You will want to make sure you can obtain a vanilla odin rom for your phone before you muck around with others.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo my phone has a second LED.

Whoops, meant to edit my other post. Oh well.

emuporium
Aug 20, 2004
Sacrilicious
How is the Nexus S internal "usb-storage" treated differently than an sd card? This is the first time I played around with any rooting/tinkering, but when I installed CM7 on my Nexus One the sd card remained untouched, but when I did it on the NS the usb storage was wiped. Was this an option in the clockwork recovery that I may have hit on accident or does this always happen? I'm pretty sure I only wiped the cache when installing. I don't want to accidentally delete it again when I update to a new nightly.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Solly posted:

When I try and do anything in clockwork recovery I get signature verification failed, searching on goolge has led me to believe that this means Im using the stock recovery, but it does indeed say clockwork recovery at the top and as far as I can tell it installed itself ok. If anyone knows how I can get around this I would be grateful because I can see it becoming a problem rather soon when it wont let me restore something because of verification.

There should be some text or something somewhere which says, "toggle signature verification" or something like that. Just press that.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

emuporium posted:

How is the Nexus S internal "usb-storage" treated differently than an sd card? This is the first time I played around with any rooting/tinkering, but when I installed CM7 on my Nexus One the sd card remained untouched, but when I did it on the NS the usb storage was wiped. Was this an option in the clockwork recovery that I may have hit on accident or does this always happen? I'm pretty sure I only wiped the cache when installing. I don't want to accidentally delete it again when I update to a new nightly.

Did you unlock your bootloader at the same time? Unlocking the bootloader on the Nexus S wipes everything, including the internal SD.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Two questions:

1. What's the easiest way to flash a new CM7 nightly? Do I need to do a complete wipe & reinstall, or can I just flash it without wiping?

2. How do I tell if there were even any changes/updates/bugfixes made to a nightly?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MindlessHavok posted:

I've played with it a little and while I like it a lot there's a few things that bug me a little.

The Launcher really seems like it's trying to be an iPhone clone. I know you say it's not but they're almost exactly alike. Not a big deal though since it's easy to use LauncherPro or any others, like you said.

Another thing I've noticed is that now that I've swapped ROMs to MIUI my phone can't read .pngs, anything to say about that?

Also the keyboard shortcuts arent there in MIUI's keyboard interface. Meaning how with the stock keyboard you could hold down a letter to get some sort of punctuation, you can't do that here. You have to hit a separate button to get to punctuation. Not really a big deal though, I'm just used to the other way.

Other than that I love how the Gallery interface is. I love the icons and everything seems to run really smooth. At this point I'm planning on keeping it and continuing to mess around with it. The only thing that would deter me is battery life but obviously it'll be a bit before I can say anything about that.

The Launcher is a straight up iPhone clone, not denying it there - it's the rest of the OS that's unique.

I'm not sure about the png thing, never heard of it.

The keyboard shortcut thing I dunno about, but you can install any keyboard you want, like the Launcher.

As for battery life, mine's about on part with CM6, with the added bonus of having the best battery meter. Check out the bar across the top option, I can't stand anything else anymore.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casao posted:

The Launcher is a straight up iPhone clone, not denying it there - it's the rest of the OS that's unique.

I'm not sure about the png thing, never heard of it.

The keyboard shortcut thing I dunno about, but you can install any keyboard you want, like the Launcher.

As for battery life, mine's about on part with CM6, with the added bonus of having the best battery meter. Check out the bar across the top option, I can't stand anything else anymore.

Yeah so far the battery life has been great, on par with every other ROM I've run if not better.

I have noticed I haven't been getting as great of a signal as it used to. Is this a current problem or do I have to get a radio update?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This would seem to be the thread to ask this:

I am going to be getting a Nook Color soon, and would like to root it. Is there an easy way to do this, or am I going to have to follow this giant wiki I found step by step?

The aforementioned wiki: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

This would seem to be the thread to ask this:

I am going to be getting a Nook Color soon, and would like to root it. Is there an easy way to do this, or am I going to have to follow this giant wiki I found step by step?

The aforementioned wiki: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

man, if that wiki is too much for you despite being awesome and super easy to follow stop now, take it back to the store. You are definitely not ready to handle anything advanced. I am not joking, sometimes poo poo happens with a rooted device and you kinda need to be patient and know what you're doing to fix it.

The tl;dr of that page is easy:

Turn On Nook Color, activate, register, etc as if you were going to use it normally.

Figure out how to write an image to a micro SD card. This is occasionally complicated if you are bad with computers.

Put your newly made card in the nook and turn it on.

You are now rooted. Get the Market working or there's not much else you can do that's interesting. Learn ADB so you can fix problems when you mess something up.

That's it. Just with precise details so you don't break your new toy. You probably can't gently caress a Nook Color up enough to make it not be able to revert to stock but it's still good to be patient and read the whole thing.

AutoNooter makes it quick and painless for the most part, nothing much to worry about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Telex posted:

man, if that wiki is too much for you despite being awesome and super easy to follow stop now, take it back to the store. You are definitely not ready to handle anything advanced. I am not joking, sometimes poo poo happens with a rooted device and you kinda need to be patient and know what you're doing to fix it.

The tl;dr of that page is easy:

Turn On Nook Color, activate, register, etc as if you were going to use it normally.

Figure out how to write an image to a micro SD card. This is occasionally complicated if you are bad with computers.

Put your newly made card in the nook and turn it on.

You are now rooted. Get the Market working or there's not much else you can do that's interesting. Learn ADB so you can fix problems when you mess something up.

That's it. Just with precise details so you don't break your new toy. You probably can't gently caress a Nook Color up enough to make it not be able to revert to stock but it's still good to be patient and read the whole thing.

AutoNooter makes it quick and painless for the most part, nothing much to worry about.

The part that loses me is writing the image to the SD card, and only because I don't have a computer with Windows on it capable of reading one, and will have to use my Mac.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

Casao posted:

Babby’s First MIUI
I installed this a few days ago and have been blown away by its stability and ease of use. There are some really nice touches thrown in that put the default android interface to shame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAo0bnp_fIs This video shows off quite a bit of the interface.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Casao posted:

I run MIUI on my G2 with pershoot's NEON kernel (available in rom manager) - it seems to give me better battery life than the kernel shipped with MIUI, which is usually cyanogen's. I don't overclock, it just seems to have a better idle consumption profile.

I still try out other roms as they're updated, but some of the MIUI stuff really has me spoiled, the control panel just makes so much loving sense, everything else is a maze of menus after using that. The SMS popups are awesome, and the lock screen with previewable calls, SMS's, and music controls are all gravy. It's honestly keeping me from going to CM7, since I know I'll be taking a step back in usability.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

The part that loses me is writing the image to the SD card, and only because I don't have a computer with Windows on it capable of reading one, and will have to use my Mac.

It's about a billion times easier on a mac.

open terminal and type it.

dd if=autonooter.img of=/dev/sdcard

bam, done. (just an example, not literal, your filenames are different for sure)

I do ALL of my rooting work on a MacBookPro because it's soooooooooo much easier than dealing with windows given the availability of both machines.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Telex posted:

It's about a billion times easier on a mac.

open terminal and type it.

dd if=autonooter.img of=/dev/sdcard

bam, done. (just an example, not literal, your filenames are different for sure)

I do ALL of my rooting work on a MacBookPro because it's soooooooooo much easier than dealing with windows given the availability of both machines.

I actually opened up the terminal and checked out the steps, and you're right, this looks easy as hell. I'm now much more confident in doing this once I get my Nook Color in.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Civil posted:

I run MIUI on my G2 with pershoot's NEON kernel (available in rom manager) - it seems to give me better battery life than the kernel shipped with MIUI, which is usually cyanogen's. I don't overclock, it just seems to have a better idle consumption profile.

I still try out other roms as they're updated, but some of the MIUI stuff really has me spoiled, the control panel just makes so much loving sense, everything else is a maze of menus after using that. The SMS popups are awesome, and the lock screen with previewable calls, SMS's, and music controls are all gravy. It's honestly keeping me from going to CM7, since I know I'll be taking a step back in usability.

I've used the 4 major ROMs I can think of off the top of my head for the G2 (CM6.1, CM7, Virtuous, and MIUI). MIUI and CM7 top the list for me, pretty much - the only reason I'm not jumping back and forth between MIUI and CM7 is that I'm not sure that Clockworkmod 3.0.0.5 or whatever I have is capable of going back to a Froyo-based ROM without me having to use fastboot to flash back to CWM 2.x. Oy.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
So I got my friend's Captivate rooted and clockwork successfully installed. Can anyone here recommend a good 2.2 based ROM to throw on it? It seems like cyanogen hasn't been ported over yet, and MIUI hasn't either, so I'm at a loss on exactly what to flash because I have no experience with anything else :(. The most popular rom seems to be Cognition 3.04, which I'm downloading now, but I don't believe it's 2.2 based. Any recommendations?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tehfox0r posted:

So I got my friend's Captivate rooted and clockwork successfully installed. Can anyone here recommend a good 2.2 based ROM to throw on it? It seems like cyanogen hasn't been ported over yet, and MIUI hasn't either, so I'm at a loss on exactly what to flash because I have no experience with anything else :(. The most popular rom seems to be Cognition 3.04, which I'm downloading now, but I don't believe it's 2.2 based. Any recommendations?
There aren't a lot of 2.2-based ROMs because there isn't an official 2.2 release from which to derive one.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
This question is completely banal but my OCD won't let me drop it. Under sense roms for my Incredible, contacts in Quickdial and Handcent's add features are listed Last Name, First Name. I have a huge number of contacts, so that is how I want it. Under CM6 and CM7, however, the add recipient/whatever buttons in those two apps list everyone as First Name Last Name. the Phone app displays it properly as Last, First and I checked the contacts in Gmail, they are set up and listed properly. Is there some kind of setting I can toggle that I'm not seeing to fix this? I'm not kidding being unable to send text messages efficiently is killing me, it's one of the few things that keeps sending me back to Sense roms.

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008

tehfox0r posted:

Andromeda, hands down the best Captivate rom I have tried to date. It's based off the i9010 armani (which means 2.2). It was built from the ground up, kernel and all, specifically for the Captivate. It's brand new and lightning fast. It includes Voodoo sound, color, and lagfix. If you don't like Orange, go with v1.0, 2.0 is just 1.0 themed orange.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

BearQuake posted:

Andromeda, hands down the best Captivate rom I have tried to date. It's based off the i9010 armani (which means 2.2). It was built from the ground up, kernel and all, specifically for the Captivate. It's brand new and lightning fast. It includes Voodoo sound, color, and lagfix. If you don't like Orange, go with v1.0, 2.0 is just 1.0 themed orange.

Seconding this. Until Darky 9.0 is stable, Andromeda is what I'm running and it's great. I flashed 2.0 and the orange is fine with me. Haven't found a better ROM yet.

On a semi-related question, does anyone have a link to Odin One Click for Mac? The only version I could find that still had good links was for Windows and it's a pain booting up into bootcamp to go back to stock.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
After trying both Andromeda and Darky 8.1 (9.0.2 was still buggy for me) I find Darky to be just a touch snappier and I found that the GPS locked a little faster as well. It's nowhere near as pretty as Andromeda though. Either would be a huge improvement over stock though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Casao posted:

Can you describe this, or even better, post a screenshot? I've looked at a few youtube videos of MIUI and I always just see a transparent notification bar with a normal looking battery icon.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

brc64 posted:

Can you describe this, or even better, post a screenshot? I've looked at a few youtube videos of MIUI and I always just see a transparent notification bar with a normal looking battery icon.

If you check the VERY top, you'll see a green bar - it extends all the way across when it's at 100%, and slowly drops as it goes down. It's incredibly easy to tell battery life at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So after around 24 hours of using MIUI I have to say it's easily my favorite of the ROMs that I've tried (Fresh, Warm, CM and now this). Battery life seems solid as a rock. I sat on a 3 hour conference call this morning with my phone on speaker and it only dropped down to about 85% battery life. Normally I'd be at about 65-70%.

Gonna stick with this one, I like it a lot.