Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I went to primary school in the 90s and high school in the noughties and have seen some of those films before during lessons despite them being ancient. The one with the substation I remember the most.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metrication posted:

I went to primary school in the 90s and high school in the noughties and have seen some of those films before during lessons despite them being ancient. The one with the substation I remember the most.

Did you get the one about not playing on building sites? That one was always my favourite.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The one public safety film with the frisbee was seared into my mind from an very early age. It's probably one of my earliest memories.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Flatscan posted:

Did you get the one about not playing on building sites? That one was always my favourite.

I don't recall that one but it's possible. The kite one in HTVRYL is familiar as well.

Most of the educational videos I remember are from the 70s bizarrely, science especially (even the sex ed vids).

Was everything back then actually beige or brown?

Look around you is great if you like that kind of thing.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metrication posted:

Was everything back then actually beige or brown?

Yes, it was.

You'd remember the building site film, it was a bit like Groundhog Day with this kid dying over and over again in increasingly nasty fashion, getting run over by a bulldozer, drowning in wet cement etc.

Edit: Ha, found it on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ag5dzfC6c

Flatscan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2011

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Internet version of that Jimmeeeeee ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwju8UwzT3w

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Flatscan posted:

I'm amazed at how many times they use the word amazing to describe things that are not that amazing.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Anyone know what I'm talking about when I mention those quite old (70's?) warning films about playing on farms? One ended with a child drowning in a cess pit.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kin posted:

Christ, you're like that guy in the Scotland LAN thread who had a stick up his arse because he didn't like people calling Dundee the shithole that it is.

Oy! I'm from Dundee and I'm offended that... you... no, wait, you're right, it's a shithole. And I'm actually from just outside Dundee so that's a relief. But hey, at least we have an old boat and gave the world Grand Theft Auto!

I managed to completely forget about Burns Night this year, despite spending the morning in a field of turnips.

How TV Ruined Your Life will be on for us Scots in 45 minutes or so. I've got it set to record. Having entirely missed Screenwipe, I'm looking forward to it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Why did no one tell me about the new Charlie Brooker vehicle?

Wee!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This is England 88 Xmas special this year, paving the way for a This is England 90 series. Cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12286245

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm surprised he didn't go into Apaches, that set of PSA's directed by the man who directed The Long Good Friday all about kids pissing around on a farm and dying horrible deaths (one kid drowned in a slurry pit if I remember correctly), that still disturbs me to this day.

And we were shown a collection of PSA's in high school physics called Electric Graffiti that involved the kid with the frisbee, good times.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like the last one where his tractor runs away from him.

Though this is my favourite PSA, the spirit of dark and lonely water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6IVUvVsAs

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So Secret Diary of a Call Girl is back tonight?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I thought How TV Ruined Your Life was fine, I'll be watching the rest of them, but gently caress I'd completely forgotten about that horrible green witch from whatever that kid's program was called until I saw that clip. I instantly felt a deep dread I'd buried for about two decades.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Somehow, I knew that kid that got electrocuted reaching for the frisbee. I have no recollection of ever watching the PSA in question, but it just seemed so familiar and I can't place why.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Junkenstein posted:

This is England 88 Xmas special this year, paving the way for a This is England 90 series. Cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12286245

Holy gently caress. I had no idea there was even a series prior to this.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Somehow, I knew that kid that got electrocuted reaching for the frisbee. I have no recollection of ever watching the PSA in question, but it just seemed so familiar and I can't place why.

I'm only 21 and have been racking my brain near constantly about where I could possibly have seen this. I can't figure it out, but I am deadly sure i've seen it before, it's weird.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Bit embarrassed to admit this, but I'll probably end up watching the whole of the new series of Skins. Partly in hope that it might be as good as the first (which it won't) and partly as an example of how not to make TV. Series 4 was awful in every way possible (but really it's been declining since the second), especially near the end when it seemed like they suddenly realised they only had a couple of episodes left so they need to jam as much in as possible and subsequently ended up leaving a boatload of loose ends and unanswered questions.

Perhaps series 5 won't be such a massive depressionfest with characters unnecessarily being given permanent psychosis or whatever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lord Thiefington posted:

I'm only 21 and have been racking my brain near constantly about where I could possibly have seen this. I can't figure it out, but I am deadly sure i've seen it before, it's weird.

I'm a year older and I have vague recollections of this stuff being showed in early primary school years ago.

It was the building site one I remember the most for me.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah we watched the building site one at school and I'm 23.

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
For some reason I want to say one of the PSA was on some other clip show, possibly Russell Brand's Ponderland. Season 1 isnt on 4oD anymore but it says the first episode was titled Childhood and discussed "fear" so it could have been on there.I definitely thought I recognised them from TV not school.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I saw the substation one in school too. born in '92, think I saw it in highschool around.. 2004/5 ish. General studies teacher was really loving reaching with that one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Metrication posted:

Bit embarrassed to admit this, but I'll probably end up watching the whole of the new series of Skins. Partly in hope that it might be as good as the first (which it won't) and partly as an example of how not to make TV. Series 4 was awful in every way possible (but really it's been declining since the second), especially near the end when it seemed like they suddenly realised they only had a couple of episodes left so they need to jam as much in as possible and subsequently ended up leaving a boatload of loose ends and unanswered questions.

Perhaps series 5 won't be such a massive depressionfest with characters unnecessarily being given permanent psychosis or whatever.

I think I'll at least give the first episode a try tonight after 10 O'Clock Live. I have low expectations but I fell in love with Mini from her character bio and I thought Dakota was really good in TGC so I'll give it a shot. Just please don't be as ridiculous as season 4.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Flatscan posted:

Yes, it was.

You'd remember the building site film, it was a bit like Groundhog Day with this kid dying over and over again in increasingly nasty fashion, getting run over by a bulldozer, drowning in wet cement etc.

I watched a similar one to this without the weird sci-fi element, and it's stuck with me to this day. I know it had a dark-haired kid, can't remember if it was a boy or a girl, dying in nasty ways - I remember him/her walking across a beam high up and falling, and digging a hole in sand and having it collapse on him. Wish I could find it :(

I did spent half the afternoon watching 70's public safety videos anyway, like Building Sites Bite and Apaches (which is horrific! The little girl drinking the chemical! :()

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
If anyone cares, the new series of Skins begins tonight at 10 on E4. I'm going to watch it just because I've seen all the rest, and wonder what the cast will be like this time around, but I'm not expecting anything very good anymore

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
10o'clock live tonight. That'll be nice.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
No it won't.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Well it might.

And lo the opinion quota is filled.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Some Strange Flea posted:

Well it might.

And lo the opinion quota is filled.

There'll be good bits and bad bits.

(now it is).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Can we watch it online?

(There, that's an opinion you weren't expecting!)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Give it one more chance you bitter gits.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lauren Laverne will actually crawl out of your TV and suck you off.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
I thought Lauren Laverne and Katherine Parkinson were the same person, I was very confused when one was presenting an award where the other was nominated.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Squalitude posted:

Can we watch it online?

(There, that's an opinion you weren't expecting!)

If you mean live, then yes, at https://www.tvcatchup.com

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I caught the end of Come Fly With Me and it had a frustrated airport publican running after a couple with a portable microphone set-up, shouting pub quiz questions at them. It was a lot funnier than anything else in that series.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

goatface posted:

Lauren Laverne will actually crawl out of your TV and suck you off.

As long as it's not one of the other presenters, I'm okay with that.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Oh no they're still doing the Carr news round up at the start.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Jimmy Carr is poo poo in this. This is not up for debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Metrication posted:

Oh no they're still doing the Carr news round up at the start.

Where else would you put headlines?