Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tempest_56 posted:

Well, the Mackie may have been an assault by weight but it certainly wasn't much to fight in. Here, let's timeline mech development!

2439 - The MSK-6S Mackie is developed by the Terran Hegemony and is the first mech ever created.
2455 - Agents of the Lyran Commonwealth steal the Mackie's plans, causing the technology to spread.
2459 - Prototype of the Battleaxe is fielded, which eventually will evolve into the Warhammer.
2460 - Development of the Helepolis.
2466 - The Commando is designed.
2471 - First appearance of the Wasp, the first mech to ever use jump jets.
2474 - Production begins of the Archer.
2475 - Appearance of the Hammerhands, successor to the Battleaxe and predecessor of the Warhammer.
2479 - The Stinger is developed.
2481 - Genesis of the Toro.
2490 - Appearance of the Gladiator.
2491 - The Thunderbolt begins production.
2492 - Finally, the Griffin shows up.

Keep in mind that most of those mechs didn't exist when the original Griffin fluff was written - only the Commando, Wasp, Stinger, Archer and Thunderbolt did.
Well the Griffin predates the Commando by a year or two, since it was in the original Battledroids and 2nd edition box sets (when "Autocannon" meant AC5 and nothing else!). It is a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The Jenner's probably better off getting the gently caress out of there for the time being. +7 overheat is not a place you want to be with two mechs in close proximity.

What I suggest is that you do a max jump into a wooded hex to keep any shooting mods against you as high as possible while you sit there and cool off a bit. To that end, getting to the light woods in 1208 or the heavy woods in 1213(I think?) might help enough, since the hussar's got good enough gunnery to do a number on any of your limbs.

The Vulcan, on the other hand, is fine if he can stand up and keep his forward arc towards the enemy.

Edit: Now that I see how the turn initiative works, 1213 will keep the Jenner out of LOS from the Hussar, at least.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 27, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tarquinn posted:

:stare:

We had more ammo explosions in these couple of turns, than I have seen in twenty games together in the past when I was still playing.

Welcome to 3025

Defiance Industries posted:

[You know what? I'm tired of this tactical analysis. I'm running an infomercial on you bitches.]

"Oh, hi! I didn't see you there. Hey, while you're here, you might want to stick around for today's iteration of..."

BATTLEMECHS SURE ARE AWESOME, brought to you by Defiance Industries.
Defiance Industries: The Biggest. The Baddest.

Added to the fan-things post, because that was pretty damned funny.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

Welcome to 3025
I think it was more of a case of SRM2 and machinegun ammo being dumped right in the first turn.

Also, your dice-rolling is weird. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tarquinn posted:

I think it was more of a case of SRM2 and machinegun ammo being dumped right in the first turn.

Also, your dice-rolling is weird. :v:

Funnily enough, the bigger the weapon, the less dangerous the ammo (since you have less shots, and can use the ammo more quickly). An assault 'mech doesn't really fear an AC20 ammo explosion; but everyone fears detonating machine gun ammo.

Yeah, it always has been. I've gone entire D&D games without rolling higher than a 5 on a d20.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, it always has been. I've gone entire D&D games without rolling higher than a 5 on a d20.

I once rolled eight 1's in a row on d20's. This occured over a space of 30 minutes, and we decided those rolls were too crappy and started the senario over.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's why I prefer the 3d6 bell curve, personally. If you roll a 9 a lot, that's normal. If you a lot of 3s? Your dice are weighted, go get some new ones.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's why I prefer the 3d6 bell curve, personally. If you roll a 9 a lot, that's normal. If you a lot of 3s? Your dice are weighted, go get some new ones.

Me too. That's why I like GURPS.

Edit: Anyway, let's get back to BT.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 27, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
GURPS is dreamy, sorry. :allears: I have to get that post in before we return to BT, since I am an acolyte for Steve Jackson.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mukaikubo posted:

GURPS is dreamy, sorry. :allears: I have to get that post in before we return to BT, since I am an acolyte for Steve Jackson.
He's a rather unpleasant fellow in person.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Defiance Industries posted:

BATTLEMECHS SURE ARE AWESOME, brought to you by Defiance Industries.
Today's episode: GRF-1* Griffin

The only question for me, is whether I can strap on my Combine-Harvester attachment to it. :colbert:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Axe-man posted:

The only question for me, is whether I can strap on my Combine-Harvester attachment to it. :colbert:

Probably not, but you can make it ride the Combine-ant thing like some sort of badass blade-horse-ant-abomination.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

elitebuster posted:

Probably not, but you can make it ride the Combine-ant thing like some sort of badass blade-horse-ant-abomination.

Thats also a LAM, with a single AC/2 with 7 tons of ammo... in torsos

okay i want a combine harvestor LAM is that too much to ask? the combine that takes to the air like superman.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Can someone explain the rules for falling/getting back up? That or, someone this turn can give me orders and I'll use them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

‘Mech is prone

From the description, I believe the Vulcan is actually supine! :eng101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^^^ The applicable game-term is, in fact, prone.

Pladdicus posted:

Can someone explain the rules for falling/getting back up? That or, someone this turn can give me orders and I'll use them.

2 mp to make a pilot check to get back up. You have no negative modifiers, so it'd be a 5+ check. If you fail (somehow), you fall again and take more damage, but may continue to attempt to get up so long as you have enough walking movement.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

2 mp to make a pilot check to get back up. You have no negative modifiers, so it'd be a 5+ check. If you fail (somehow), you fall again and take more damage, but may continue to attempt to get up so long as you have enough walking movement.

As an aside on that, if you have like a hip actuator damaged or over heated etc, that can lead to situations where you will DIE trying to get up. It really is hilarious to watch too, cause it usually requires horrible rolls in general, and the person just doesn't believe that he can't do the simple task of standing up... until he falls off that convenient cliff onto his head.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Can I attempt to stand up right now and find out the result?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^^^ The applicable game-term is, in fact, prone.

I once played a game where one of the Mechs slipped and fell in some rough terrain on the first turn, failed the pilot check and fell again, took a pair of floating criticals to the center torso, and had them both hit his gyro.

Easiest Dire Wolf kill I've ever had.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pladdicus posted:

Can I attempt to stand up right now and find out the result?

I rolled a 9. You stand up.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

I once played a game where one of the Mechs slipped and fell in some rough terrain on the first turn, failed the pilot check and fell again, took a pair of floating criticals to the center torso, and had them both hit his gyro.

Easiest Dire Wolf kill I've ever had

This is a PSA by the Kellhound High Command. Don't drink and mech.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
We once spent two days with my friend to devise the most equal match we could. In the end we had two lances worth of troops.

First match: last 15 minutes, when one push causes a chain reaction knocking three mechs down a hillside, knocking one out and leaving the rest easy pickings. Only way to salvage honor is to claim the match is immensely unbalanced. New game, forces switched.

Second match: In the final twelve rounds I have one Enforcer with no other weapons except rear-mounted medium laser. My opponent has one Griffin, with head-mounted small laser as his only arsenal. I manage to land one good charge of seven hexes in, stripping most of his center torso armor. Next ten rounds we play "win the initiative" which I finally do, manage to jump on a cliff next to him and cave his center torso in with a kick. My own mech is barely standing, with most of the remaining armor concentrated on the rear torso.

We had to conclude that unfortunately the attempt to balance the forces failed. One side was clearly overpowered.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sounds realistic enough. Documentaries about life in the army have lead me to believe that 99% of a tank crew's job is fixing the treads.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
If I jump can I only move 4? Can I even jump?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Pladdicus posted:

Jump is unaffected by heat, you can always jump the maximum distance.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Pladdicus posted:

You can't mix jumping and other movement modes so you can't jump and get up in the same turn.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

First match: last 15 minutes, when one push causes a chain reaction knocking three mechs down a hillside, knocking one out and leaving the rest easy pickings. Only way to salvage honor is to claim the match is immensely unbalanced. New game, forces switched.

Reminds me of a match I once played. We were using a map with a high plateau and a long single hex wide ramp going up to it. There was of course a brawl on the ramp, with lots of mechs packed close together. Well, at some point one mech in there died and we suddenly remembered that the Stackpole rule was still turned on in Megamek. The close quarters made it a chain reaction.

Of the ten mechs on the ramp at the start of the turn, two were alive at the end and one of those was crippled beyond use.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Tempest_56 posted:

Reminds me of a match I once played. We were using a map with a high plateau and a long single hex wide ramp going up to it. There was of course a brawl on the ramp, with lots of mechs packed close together. Well, at some point one mech in there died and we suddenly remembered that the Stackpole rule was still turned on in Megamek. The close quarters made it a chain reaction.

Of the ten mechs on the ramp at the start of the turn, two were alive at the end and one of those was crippled beyond use.

Ahh, good old Battlemech Reactor Dominoes.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
For extra credit, attempt to place a battlemech on an atmosphere map in MegaMek when you want to try air-to-ground combat out.

:saddowns: WHY MECH MAN FALL DOWN GO BOOM :saddowns:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tempest_56 posted:

Sometimes The Stackpole Rule dispensed pure awesome.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Mukaikubo posted:

For extra credit, attempt to place a battlemech on an atmosphere map in MegaMek when you want to try air-to-ground combat out.

:saddowns: WHY MECH MAN FALL DOWN GO BOOM :saddowns:

Something like that, right?

:mmmhmm:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

Once a Mech goes down, he falls into a randomised direction and takes it's own tonnage/10 damage, which is distributed in 5-point groupings that are rolled like incoming fire from the side it's fallen on. Additionally, the pilot has to pass a piloting skill roll or suffer one point of injury. (The more injury points a pilot suffers, the more likely he is to go unconscious. 6 injury points and he's dead.)

Standing up prevents you from running or jumping, costs 2 MP and requires you to pass a PSR. You can automatically choose your desired facing upon standing up for no cost. If you fail the PSR, you just fall down again. Yes, lovely pilots can literally kill themselves trying to stand up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magni posted:

Yes, lovely pilots can literally kill themselves trying to stand up.
I've seen it deliberately done in meatgrinder games to deny an opponant the kill.....

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I've seen it deliberately done in meatgrinder games to deny an opponant the kill.....

I've seen it done in campaign games to deny salvage by trying to smash yourself into an ammo explosion. Either way, it's really poor sportsmanship.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tempest_56 posted:

I've seen it done in campaign games to deny salvage by trying to smash yourself into an ammo explosion. Either way, it's really poor sportsmanship.
In the context of a grinder tournament where the aim is to get more kills than everyone else it's strategically viable for two reasons.
1: denys the enemy a kill.
2: gets you back in the fight with a new mech faster.

The context of the game, being competitive, means that if you've got a good group they'll all be understanding and just find it funny. If not... it'll go nasty.

In a campaign it's a straight-up dick move and should be punishable by forks in the eyes.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"Man that hussar is a good shot, so i guess he needs to die then, so LT how are you liking target practice as the target?"

A sand chart for possible plan for attack

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

I think the griffin should get on the Lvl2 to allow him shots on the dragon

I'll move toward the hussar and take a shot at him

The jenner can fall back behind the hills and cool down, or jump in the water and cool off a bit faster

The vulcan can walk toward my end, or use his walk to go toward the waters and cross there, possibly getting a shot on Spider at long range.

eitherway i think we are doing really well so far, but lets see what happens.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Tarquinn posted:

Something like that, right?

:mmmhmm:

Ok the picture is funny but what's the context behind it? My knowledge of Battletech is casual at best.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Casualty posted:

Ok the picture is funny but what's the context behind it? My knowledge of Battletech is casual at best.

An orbital drop is where mechs are strapped with one-use jump boosters and deploy straight in to a combat zone by walking out of the mech hangar on the DropShip while it is still in orbit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The clans can deploy 'Mechs from orbit without ever landing a dropship via armored drop-pods. Everyone else has to either jump out of a dropship while it's in the atmosphere, or land the dropship (if their 'Mechs lack jump jets).

The Inner Sphere does not do orbital drops, period.

"Combat Drops" are extremely rare, and basically never done in the Inner Sphere right now because A) nobody's going to shoot up a dropship and B) jumping out of a dropship is a great way to lose an entire company of 'Mechs if someone fucks it up.

Needless to say, in the books? Combat drops are always successful and nobody ever dies.

Edit: Unless your name is Jerimiah Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Zeroisanumber posted:

Easiest Dire Wolf kill I've ever had.

Oh man, I had that happen to my heaviest mech in a 4+4 vs. fucktons of 20-tonners. (Seriously, I brought in like, every single Wasp and Stinger model and other nonsense on the AI's side) in a Megamek scenario last night.

I backed my mech into a heavy building because it only had a PPC and a medium laser and it was one hex from the other guys. I figured, even if I fail the piloting check, my armor will take the hurt and I'll be letting the building soak up the hurt.

Nope! Two TACs to the CT, gyro destroyed. I had my pilot eject the next turn, he landed in the building and took 4 points of damage. Since he was right on the map's edge I had him leg it.

That was okay, though. The AI are retarded babies and don't understand buildings, so they kept walking through or jumping onto the Light CF 25 apartment complexes with depth-3 basements and height-5 ceilings. I have never seen so many mechs "destroyed by pilot error." None of our other mechs took significant hurt, since the bot's units were almost always at the bottom of some pit full of rubble prone, and that let us pick off the ones standing up on street level with relative impunity. Not to mention the ones he took out himself. :)

• Locked thread