Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Remember her from the cantina? Force sensitive rebel who was killed on Hoth. She was also going out with:

who was an X-wing pilot during Endor. How did he die? He decided to kamikaze the shield generator bunker, but he realised that that it had already been destroyed and couldn't change course.

Don't worry though. They both became force ghosts at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

domi the great posted:

Any suggestions for drinking games?
For the prequels;
- Take a bottle for daring to watch anyway.
- Take a drink every time someone completely fails to display human emotion.
- If you're going for oblivion (and if you're doing the prequels then you are) take a drink for every lightsaber ignition.
- Lastly, if you're me, take a drink for every blindingly obvious tactical error in the fights. Seriously, there's dozens.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Keep the prequel game simple. Drink every time characters are sitting and just talking and when they are walking (not fighting or running) and talking. WARNING: You will die of alcohol poisoning.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't know why I never before realized that minorities are represented by racist caricature aliens in the prequels.

Really? That was THE first major criticism of Phantom Menace when it was released.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

movax posted:

I thought Galaxies was killed off, yet my holiday purchase of the Star Wars pack included it? :confused:

It wasn't killed off people just wish it was. The original SWG was a buggy mess but it had a charm to it, it was kinda like a star wars "average guy" simulator than an MMO because you could do so much inane stuff like dancing and crafting just for the sake of doing it. Then they dropped a patch that turned it into a third person shooter and alienated a lot of people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Joe Don Baker posted:

Really? That was THE first major criticism of Phantom Menace when it was released.

I think first was probably Jar Jar, but yeah, that was probably right after that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Muppetjedi posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grizz_Frix

'Due to the fact that he was raised in a prejudiced society, Grizz Frix believed from an early age that the Galactic Empire needed to be overthrown. He found solitude in the hours he spent flying his old airspeeder high above the mountains of Devaron. Up there, racial divides were nonexistent, allowing him a brief moment of escape.'

There are quite a few fat rebel pilots.

I just looked at the link and saw further links to "A Call to Reason" and "Declaration of Rebellion." I didn't know that star wars fanfic writers went that far to outright copy the writings right before the american revolution. :psyduck:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Derek Dominoe posted:

Keep the prequel game simple. Drink every time characters are sitting and just talking and when they are walking (not fighting or running) and talking. WARNING: You will die of alcohol poisoning.

In the spirit of RLM's critique:
Take a shot every time you see the camera do shot/reverse shot in a dialogue scene.
Take a shot every time a character walks toward a window looking out.
Take a shot every time a character walks through a scene where they should be in a hurry.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Fox of Stone posted:

I just looked at the link and saw further links to "A Call to Reason" and "Declaration of Rebellion." I didn't know that star wars fanfic writers went that far to outright copy the writings right before the american revolution. :psyduck:

Too blatent?

"We, the beings of the Rebel Alliance, do this day send forth this Declaration to His Majesty, the Emperor, and to all sentient beings in the Galaxy, to make clear to all the Purposes and Goals of this Rebellion. We firmly acknowledge the importance and necessity of the institution of Galactic Government. We accept that all must subjugate themselves to that Government, giving up certain rights and freedoms, in return for peace, prosperity and happiness for all.

We believe that the Galactic Government derives its power and right to rule from the consent of the governed. We believe that, should the rights of free beings be willfully and malignantly usurped, it is the unalienable right of said beings to alter or abolish said Government.

We believe that the Galactic Empire has willfully and malignantly usurped the rights of the free beings of the Galaxy and therefore, it is our unalienable right to abolish it from the Galaxy.

We do not take this course lightly. Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes, but when a Government displays a history of usurpation, abuse and moral atrocity, displaying a clear design to subjugate totally and absolutely beings born free under the auspices of nature, it is our right—our duty—to depose of that Government.

The history of the present Galactic Empire is of repeated injuries upon its members, with the direct objective of establishing you, Emperor Palpatine, as absolute tyrant over the Galaxy:

You have disbanded the Senate, the voice of the people;
You have instituted a policy of blatant racism and genocide against the nonhuman peoples of the Galaxy;
You have overthrown the chosen leaders of planets, replacing them with Moffs and Governors of your choice;
You have raised taxes without the consent of those taxed;
You have murdered and imprisoned millions without benefit of trial;
You have unlawfully taken land and property;
You have expanded the military far beyond what is necessary and prudent, for the sole purpose of oppressing your subjects.
We, the Rebel Alliance, do therefore in the name—and by the authority—of the free beings of the Galaxy, solemnly publish and declare our intentions:

To fight and oppose you and your forces, by any and all means at our disposal;
To refuse any Imperial law contrary to the rights of free beings;
To bring about your destruction and the destruction of the Galactic Empire;
To make forever free all beings in the galaxy.
To these ends, we pledge our property, our honor, and our lives."

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

I also remember loving that movie when it came out...those were younger, considerably retarded times.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I also remember loving that movie when it came out...those were younger, considerably retarded times.

That's funny. When I figure saw it, right from the opening scene I knew something was wrong. I was, um, 16 when it came out, guess I was too old.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

LLJKSiLk posted:

In the spirit of RLM's critique:
Take a shot every time you see the camera do shot/reverse shot in a dialogue scene.
Take a shot every time a character walks toward a window looking out.
Take a shot every time a character walks through a scene where they should be in a hurry.

Noooooo, if you do that you're gonna die!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Muppetjedi posted:

There are quite a few fat rebel pilots.

We can't forget about the most famous one:
"They came from... behind!"

quote:

His skill at low-altitude strafing runs and his rotund physique earned him the nicknames "Belly Runner" and "Piggy."

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

I think first was probably Jar Jar, but yeah, that was probably right after that.
In all fairness, IIRC Ahmed Best was given permission to develop Jar Jar's voice by himself and the CG-crew did his motions independently, and it was only when they put it together that they realized he was the perfect storm of offensive stereotypes. They really toned his questionable attributes down after TPM.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 28, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It wasn't killed off people just wish it was. The original SWG was a buggy mess but it had a charm to it, it was kinda like a star wars "average guy" simulator than an MMO because you could do so much inane stuff like dancing and crafting just for the sake of doing it. Then they dropped a patch that turned it into a third person shooter and alienated a lot of people.
SOE and LucasArts released a ROTS themed expansion a week before these changes came out of nowhere and forced themselves as a public beta onto the game too.

Pretty much not only the combat was utterly hosed but everyones stuff didn't work and suddenly the freedom of being a kick rear end martial artist cook with sniping skills was taken away and replaced with generic MMO character classes. Half the new stuff in the expansion was made instantly obsolete.

I don't have a image of it but the quality of the class selection menu was hilariously terrible looking.

domi the great
Apr 24, 2005
I followed your lead and took a shower too

Bene Elim posted:

For the prequels;

- Take a drink every time someone completely fails to display human emotion.

aahaha. It would be a nonstop chugging contest. This is the one thing that irks me the most (and yeah that's saying a lot) about the prequels. I mean, we all know Natalie Portman can act. It makes me wonder what they were saying to her while directing " no no, that's way too much personality. Tone it down a little, you're a stoic soul-less boring rear end queen goddamnit!" As a girl especially, I find Amidala an incomparably huge disappointment next to the empowering, rear end kicking firestorm that was Princess Leia.
Buuuttt anyway I won't keep ranting as this is the mega thread I'm sure this same lament has been rehearsed many a time.

domi the great
Apr 24, 2005
I followed your lead and took a shower too

Gammatron 64 posted:

Noooooo, if you do that you're gonna die!

Eeeeyah, but watching the prequels sometimes makes me want to do that anyway.

Thanks for all your responses guys I'm going to mark these down!

Oh and if anyone lives in Montreal, by the way, it's going to be at the McGill campus bar, Gerts, in March. :)

edit: apologies for double post. was being lazy.

domi the great fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 28, 2011

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Muppetjedi posted:

Remember her from the cantina? Force sensitive rebel who was killed on Hoth. She was also going out with:

who was an X-wing pilot during Endor. How did he die? He decided to kamikaze the shield generator bunker, but he realised that that it had already been destroyed and couldn't change course.

Don't worry though. They both became force ghosts at the end.

Can you please do this for every minor character that showed up in the background of the OT that got backstories? Or at least the cantina?

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Jesus, I thought you were bullshitting with those characters. And then wookieepedia proved you right.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nckdictator posted:

Too blatent?

Yeah, see? They even included the guys with the fivehead and retreating hairlines! Also I couldn't stop giggling earlier when I saw just how bad that Declaration was. Sounds like something that was said in a D&D session right before the characters started an armed revolt.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone post the blatant LoTR scene rip off

EDIT: Got it

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 28, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Kwatz posted:

Jesus, I thought you were bullshitting with those characters. And then wookieepedia proved you right.

I remember reading about them in a character guide from years and years ago. It was quite ridiculous.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

thrawn527 posted:

-Any time you see good guys wear white, or bad guys where black.
-Twice any time you see good guys wear black, or bad guys wear white. (for uniforms, only the first person on screen counts)
-Three times if someone hovering in between wears gray.
-Someone's hand gets cut off (prequels could make this deadly).
-A woman other than Leia is on screen.
-A Rebel pilot is of a race other than white (I think this happens only once?).
-Something doesn't work on the Falcon.
-A gigantic technological marvel explodes in a single blast.

(These are stolen from a list I read years ago)

My favorites from that old list:

-Whenever Luke is upside-down for any reason, even momentarily.
-One drink anytime Luke and Lando are on the screen at the same time. Two drinks if they speak to each other.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Watched ANH last night and something always crosses my mind: do you think 3PO enjoyed tossing those Jawa corpses on the fire? When they're parking just outside the cantina, he says "I can't abide by those Jawas! Disgusting creatures!" and this was after burning their corpses.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Pope Mobile posted:

Watched ANH last night and something always crosses my mind: do you think 3PO enjoyed tossing those Jawa corpses on the fire? When they're parking just outside the cantina, he says "I can't abide by those Jawas! Disgusting creatures!" and this was after burning their corpses.

About as much as any simulacrum of human behavior can "Enjoy" anything.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Might as well throw this one in, while we're at it...

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Anyone know if TIE Fighter works with Vista?

Thinking about digging out my copy but I don't want to waste my time if it doesn't.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

NeonTurtle posted:

About as much as any simulacrum of human behavior can "Enjoy" anything.

Well if he can hate flying & be afraid of stormtroopers/getting killed, I think he could enjoy burning Jawa corpses.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister_Eel posted:

Anyone know if TIE Fighter works with Vista?

Thinking about digging out my copy but I don't want to waste my time if it doesn't.

Is this the DOS TIE Fighter CD or the Win95 disc?

Is your OS 32 bit or 64 bit?

There's different things you need to do depending on the answers to those questions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

Okay, I got to say that is awesome. Not at all terribly spergy like the declaration one.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is this the DOS TIE Fighter CD or the Win95 disc?

Is your OS 32 bit or 64 bit?

There's different things you need to do depending on the answers to those questions.

DOS

32 bit vista

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister_Eel posted:

DOS

32 bit vista

I got it working using Dosbox and some a front end. I used D-fender. It works fairly well. A few glitches in the concourse areas, but none in the actual missions.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

Achieved without Han, Luke, or Leia :smug:

Nevermind the whole Krytos Trap thing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

That traumatized guy there hasn't even taken his uniform off since Hoth, he must smell lovely.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

That traumatized guy there hasn't even taken his uniform off since Hoth, he must smell lovely.

You weren't there maaaaan you weren't there!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Biplane posted:

Oh god, Face.

See, even though Wookipedia says he looks like this,
(:gonk:)

in my head he'll always look like this,

and that's just another part of what makes Wraith Squadron awesome.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

See, even though Wookipedia says he looks like this,
(:gonk:)

Some of the character art is...not very flattering at the least. Completely ruins my mental image of characters :(

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

movax posted:

Some of the character art is...not very flattering at the least. Completely ruins my mental image of characters :(

When in doubt, trust in the Japanese...

That better?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

When in doubt, trust in the Japanese...

That better?

Oh good, they put him as General Kargin on the cover now. But yes, the Japanese art is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I finally beat Republic Commando after reinstalling it the other day. I got it in the Best of PC pack a few years back and only ended up getting about halfway through. I'm not sure why I quit, it's a pretty fricking awesome shooter. It just hits a lot of the sweet spots for a good shooter; guns, enemies, pacing, sound effects, interesting mechanics...

The whole squad dynamic is really well done and probably some of the best friendly AI I've seen yet. It seems like a simple thing, but after so many games with terrible AI, it's amazing when you can send a teammate to cover you from a sniping position, and have him actually do a decent job of covering you. If I decide to go hack (sorry, slice) something, I can rely on my team to cover me while I do it. And if I go down towards the end of a fight, they can finish up and come revive me. They aren't as good as the player, but I'd say the three of them together are about as effective as a single human ally (certain AI cheats aside, like bottomless pockets of grenades).

Back in the 90's, I loved how TIE Fighter put a bad guy spin on X-Wing. When Dark Forces came out, I figured it would be a no-brainer to do a similar thing and make a game where you played as a stormtrooper. We never quite got that (and Jedi Knight was probably a better direction to go anyway), but Republic Commando feels close enough to satisfy that long-burning wish. Especially the middle act when you're on the ship; Geonosis and Kashyyyk don't feel all that Star Wars-y, but the ship with all the suggestions of classic Star Wars decor was great.

I guess next up I need to reinstall KOTOR and get all the way through that.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 30, 2011