Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh
here is my chow chow/ german shepherd Reggie.

a few days after i first got him

how he looks now (a few days after a haircut)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mydogwatchestv
Dec 19, 2010

fitzpenguin posted:

Hey fellow underbite dog person!

Bob is awesome. Him and Nigel would definitely be best friends. And the fact that Bob ADDs out makes me think somehow they're still related. If you're ever near Colorado with Bob we would have to have the long lost brothers meet.

deget posted:

This dog. He is not ugly at all. That underbite is pretty wicked, but it's an addition to his character.

I think he's pretty cute myself. And exactly. That's what we tell him every day.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I never posted an update in this thread, but the adoption with Max fell through. The owners decided at the last minute (less than an hour after we were supposed to get him) that they couldn't let him go. So after a day of feeling depressed and a dogless Christmas break we started looking again. Well today we met another dog from the rescue group, and it was love at first site. So say hello to Sophie!

Sophie is a combination of everything. The fosters think she's part pitt, part greyhound, part boxer, and probably everything else tossed in there as well. Her body is incredibly lean and definitely greyhound shaped, but as you can see her head is completely different. She and her two brothers were left in the drop off shed of a kill shelter when they were four months old. The rescue group (Second Hope Rescue in Southern MD) picked them up, and Sophie's brothers quickly found new homes. Sophie wasn't so lucky, and a year and a half later Sophie still hadn't found a new home. Well on Sunday that's going to change.

Bonus cellphone pic from today:

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:swoon:
what does she look like when she isn't wearing her tiger coat?

Seriously, gorgeous dog.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I don't see much other than Pit Bull (one T, two words) in Sophie. Many people confronted with a Pit Bull are surprised that they are lean, smallish dogs. They think Pits are big, wide ugly dogs because that is how the media portrays them and there has been a trend in breeding ugly, big mutted up dogs and calling them "Pit Bulls" because of the stigma that's currently attached to the breed. Head on over to the Bully Breed Megathread there's an awesome guide to the breed and to the other breeds in the Bull and Terrier family on page 19. Bring more pictures of Sophie. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Seconding that. She's got a lot of Pit and she's absolutely gorgeous. :3: Bully breed thread needs pictures of her ASAP.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
That's totally a pit bull dude, ain't no mutt at all. Seconding what others have said. :)

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

blue vein steel posted:

D'awww, he's like a living teddy bear dog.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
This is Quid my Lab/xx. He was labeled a 'chow-mix' by the shelter but I think they just put down whatever the people who drop them off say.

I'm pretty sure he has lab in him due to his webbed feet but I'm not sure what else he's got. He seems to have no undercoat and dosen't really shed noticeably. The flair on his legs and longish fur have led some people to suggest a bit of boarder collie but I don't know.

He is pretty much the model dog aside from crazy reactivity to dogs that he can't (or who won't) play with. I'm definitely counting down the days until I can move from my high-rise into a house with a yard. Then maybe I can get him a buddy. :3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

blue vein steel posted:

This is a pretty dog. Do you have a picture of him without a hair cut?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm cross-posting this in both threads because more doggy pictures are awesome. We asked the foster about the breed, and her vet records have her listed as a boxer/greyhound mix. The foster also has four pits and says she doesn't look anything like them. We actually hope she's not a pit, as both of our parents live in PG County which has a breed ban. The rescue agency has a working relationship with the PG County animal control and shelter, and they said that there shouldn't be an issue with Sophie staying with our parents. We plan on taking a few pictures and contacting PG animal control directly so that we can get confirmation.

We got her last night, and she's already made herself at home. She's the sweetest and most affectionate dog I've ever met. Absolutely perfect.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
More of Farlow. Another week and her shoulders seem an inch taller (comparing to our other dogs).

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Got some very bad news about my parents dog Lucky. She can't move her back legs and her health is getting worse. She is 16 years old. She'll probably have to be put down today. I'm currently deployed so sadly I haven't seen her in a few months.

She's a mutt. Some sort of dachshund mix. I hope she lived a very good life, my mom walked her twice a day all year long unless there was a blizzard going on.

She was literally found one day at my parents house on our doorstep. We don't know why she came to our house or where she came from but we put up signs and no one ever claimed her. My parents were very against having a dog too (though we had other pets.) She must have picked a good house because she was very much loved. In her younger days she would try to catch squirrels by sneaking out the dog door and letting the door close slowly on her tail as to not make too much noise. She never did catch one.

Like 6 months later my mom was walking her and someone pulled to the side of the road and said that it was their dog but it had escaped from digging a hole, and it was ok because they wanted a bigger dog. This seems strange because she has never dug any sort of hole in the backyard fence.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TLG James fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 12, 2011

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This is my 7 year old German Shepherd/Chow mix Condi. My family got her at 4 months old, and through divorces, remarriages, and moves she is now my dog. She fetches along with playing guard dog, sleeping at the foot of the bed and master begging skills. Loves running and being a couch potato simultaneously. I've always been asked what breed she is, and I say she's a shelter dog and they're super surprised. Never changed her name because it was already known to her. I don't know why that's her name, but I think it's funny.

Puppy picture from ~4-5 months

Typical couch potato arrangement

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I'm begging sooo hard right now

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 15, 2011

Belisama
Jan 5, 2011
My newly adopted puppy Dudley - somewhere between 4 and 5 months. Foster/vet paperwork says GSD/border collie mix, but when I posted him elsewhere on PI several offered retriever as well. Any other ideas?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Yeah that dog is undoubtedly mostly retriever.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
Your whoever is wrong, that is purebread real magic :swoon:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Maybe golden/GSD, or golden/something else with that kind of markings. The face especially looks very golden retriever to me.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Belisama posted:

Your dog's ears look ridiculously soft :3:

robayon
Nov 26, 2001
I never have understood the big desire for a purebred dog. I've always had mutts. I've never paid more than an adoption fee for a dog, and I doubt if I ever will. Well, I mean initially. Obviously food and vet bills and all that are factored into the cost department as well.

Photo - this is Buddy, my almost seven year old mutt. As far as I've been able to tell, he's a golden/chow/?? mix. I got him because his original owner left to join the Air Force and kind of just left him in his backyard, so I hopped the fence and went and stole him. AHH, SOUTH GEORGIA...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Well, some places don't have shelters overflowing with dogs everywhere. If I was to adopt a rescue it would probably come from outside the country. (Still cheaper than buying a purebred dog though).

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
I submit for analysis, Mushu! Mushu is three years old, weighs right at 10 lbs. I got her from the shelter last October, where they claimed she was a Lhasa Apso Mix. She came in all matted and flea ridden and nasty, so they had to shave her down. Her hair is growing back.

When her face hair is longer, I can kinda see the Lhasa, and she has an oddly deep bark for her size. I also think Cairn Terrier, but I dunno.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
This is Amber, my purebreed Derp-hound.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Don't let her stoic expression fool you, she's an imecile. But a cute one!

She's as cuddly as you could ask for.

She has husky in her somewhere, as she sleeps in a huskyball most times.

Either way, she's a Derp-hound to me, and she'll always BE a Derp-hound.

And I love her to pieces!

photogurl
Jan 1, 2011
This is Layla. The vet thinks she is a lab & redbone hound mix. Strangers think she is a lab/pitty/boxer mix. We tend to agree with the vet.

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

This is Sparky, our new dog, adopted just yesterday.

IMG_2821.jpg by Elaykins, on Flickr

She's a pitty/something, the something is unknown. Her head is huge compared to her body, and she has a lot of extra skin folds around her face/neck and biiiig jowls. And then of course, her bat ears. I don't think pits normally have bat ears like that. She's my first dog, so I have no idea what other kind of dogs can have bat ears or skin folds.

She's around 41 lbs and so far we've heard that she could be mixed with great dane, basenji, and I'm also guessing maybe blue heeler (ears)?

Here's her shelter video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyEJj81gk5c&feature=related You can see her body a lot better in that than in my pictures...

And here are some bad pics of her:

You can clearly see her jowls and the neck folds in this picture

IMG_2827.jpg by Elaykins, on Flickr

Curled up into a ball:

IMG_2832.jpg by Elaykins, on Flickr

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm cross-posting this in both threads because more doggy pictures are awesome. We asked the foster about the breed, and her vet records have her listed as a boxer/greyhound mix. The foster also has four pits and says she doesn't look anything like them. We actually hope she's not a pit, as both of our parents live in PG County which has a breed ban. The rescue agency has a working relationship with the PG County animal control and shelter, and they said that there shouldn't be an issue with Sophie staying with our parents. We plan on taking a few pictures and contacting PG animal control directly so that we can get confirmation.

We got her last night, and she's already made herself at home. She's the sweetest and most affectionate dog I've ever met. Absolutely perfect.

Gorgeous gorgeous! I wish we had the space (and time) to be able to add a dog to our family.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

photogurl posted:

This is Layla. The vet thinks she is a lab & redbone hound mix. Strangers think she is a lab/pitty/boxer mix. We tend to agree with the vet.

Those do appear to be hound ears :3:

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

Imasalmon posted:

I submit for analysis, Mushu! Mushu is three years old, weighs right at 10 lbs. I got her from the shelter last October, where they claimed she was a Lhasa Apso Mix. She came in all matted and flea ridden and nasty, so they had to shave her down. Her hair is growing back.

When her face hair is longer, I can kinda see the Lhasa, and she has an oddly deep bark for her size. I also think Cairn Terrier, but I dunno.

You don't happen to live in Houston do you? That dog looks eerily familiar to a mutt I once knew who had a bunch of puppies. Almost too similar to be a coincidence.

James Polk fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 25, 2011

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

James Polk posted:

You don't happen to live in Houston do you? That dog looks eerily familiar to a mutt I once knew who had a bunch of puppies. Almost too similar to be a coincidence.

Actually, I do. Tried to pm you, but if you know any history of her, I would appreciate it if you could drop me a line. my username at gmail.com

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 25, 2011

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Heknocentric Thinker posted:

Bat Ears

Purebred pit bulls can and do have ears like that. Since the APBT is more of a working breed than a show breed, they are very non-standardized and can vary a lot in looks. Bat ears aren't desirable but they do show up pretty often in pits. that said, she isn't a purebred APBT and I'd guess that there's something else in there influencing the ears. Maybe Australian Cattle dog?

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Gasp, such pretty eyes! Congrats on your new addition. <3

BeerGod I love the markings on that pittie... SOOO pretty...

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

Imasalmon posted:

Actually, I do. Tried to pm you, but if you know any history of her, I would appreciate it if you could drop me a line. my username at gmail.com

Here's a photo of the dog in question, see if you (or anyone else ITT) see any resemblance. For me it's the bug eyes, under-bite and scraggly mop of hair on her head. Personality traits include very intense focus, quick learning of commands, long eye contact and eating bugs

vs your dog:

James Polk fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 25, 2011

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

SuperTwo posted:

Purebred pit bulls can and do have ears like that. Since the APBT is more of a working breed than a show breed, they are very non-standardized and can vary a lot in looks. Bat ears aren't desirable but they do show up pretty often in pits. that said, she isn't a purebred APBT and I'd guess that there's something else in there influencing the ears. Maybe Australian Cattle dog?

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

People keep seeing great dane in her, but I don't know. She's a good dog so far, so all is well :)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Was recently given some pictures from Christamas and I figured I should share a couple of them here!

Babushka had a wonderful time playing with the kids and the adults. She was given a lot of under-the-table turkey and knew who to follow in order to get more!

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

James Polk posted:

Here's a photo of the dog in question, see if you (or anyone else ITT) see any resemblance. For me it's the bug eyes, under-bite and scraggly mop of hair on her head. Personality traits include very intense focus, quick learning of commands, long eye contact and eating bugs

vs your dog:

While I see the resemblance, I don't think these are the same dog. The dog getting humped looks like she has light-colored nails, while Imasalmon's dog has dark nails. That would have been a really neat coincidence.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

James Polk posted:

vs your dog:

They are similar, but I don't think they are related. It isn't very clear in my picture, but the snout is different. And Mushu's traits are more of the "no eye contact, doesn't focus or listen, and would probably run from a bug if she noticed it."

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

Imasalmon posted:

They are similar, but I don't think they are related. It isn't very clear in my picture, but the snout is different. And Mushu's traits are more of the "no eye contact, doesn't focus or listen, and would probably run from a bug if she noticed it."

Ah, fair enough. This dog has had quite a prolific vagina over the years, so I thought there might be a distant connection.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
Here's our two mutts, Gordon (left) and Hank (right). Adopting older dogs kicks rear end.

I'm pretty sure Gordon is a GSD/lab mix. He's about 65lbs and around 6-7 years old. We got him a couple years back from some shelter rescue. According to his foster family he was returned to different shelters twice that they know about. One return was because one family couldn't afford to feed him and the other return is unknown. We decided to take a risk on him and really couldn't be any happier with him. He's just the sweetest dog I've ever had and we've never had any behavioral issues with him. He was pretty easy to train the basics to and I guess the only problem we've had with him is pulling on walks. We still can't figure out why he was given back to the shelter twice.

Hank is a mystery.

We got him last August from some shelter in North Carolina and we really have no clue what kind of dog this is. He was listed as a Burmese Mountain Dog on Petfinder but I have my doubts. One vet said he may be a Swiss Mountain Dog mix because he's so lanky, but mostly we get "oh he must be some mountain dog mix." He's about 7 years old and around 60lbs. We just wanted him because he was old and black and tan and had a lot of mannerisms like Gordon. He's also a big old sweetheart and loves running around in water.

Any ideas what he could be?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
For Hank I can definitely understand the swiss mountain dog mix guess as well with the tricolor coat. Probably mixed with lab.

Gordie I'd guess some kind of hound (first photo) or terrier (second photo) mix but with what I have no idea. He somehow looks like a completely different between those two photos. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Purbread Vaginaneck Dog. Wanna wubba those folds :3