Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
David Mitchell is not good at interviewing. Maybe he's nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psybro
May 12, 2002
David is barely containing his ire over Iraq, but I saw Campbell answering these questions a week ago the same way.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

reality_groove posted:

Where else would you put headlines?

I guess. It just feels a bit stinted or something still.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They really should not have put a comedian trying to be an interviewer up against one of the best PR men in the country. It's obviously not gonna go in your favour, is it?

edit: By the way, if anyone's watching Skins now instead, is it poo poo?

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 27, 2011

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Falling down is on ITV4 so this 10 o'clock live pile of shite can go gently caress itself. Put Mr peep show and Charlie Screenwipe back on their respective shows and never broadcast this tripe again. Thanks in advance.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Campbell knows that David is a total walkover in an interview, he's just totally in control of this.

I think the problem is that i'm sitting here and I want David to be witty, and clever, and go on one of his logical analysis rants.

But he can't. He's against an opponent with media training, not another comedian who knows to shut up and let him go for it because they're doing a comedy show. Instead he's stuttering out what he wants to say, he's making statements rather than asking questions. He's just listening, paralysed with no angle to make a joke.

Also I think Jimmy Carr and the audience sets the wrong tone. Or more accurately, it sets a tone that I don't want it to have.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I cackled at the sexism skit. Mitchell's still being very passive in his interviews; understandable when facing a man who bent the media to his will, I suppose.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Yeah so far this program has convinced me that bankers bonuses are good for the economy, huge tuition fees are long overdue and the Iraq war was, on balance, a pretty good idea.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I kind of think that maybe Simon Amstell would be good at the the interview sections.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

DaWolfey posted:

Instead he's stuttering out what he wants to say, he's making statements rather than asking questions. He's just listening, paralysed with no angle to make a joke.
Absolutely. He's trying too hard to have an opinion and "do" the interview than being funny.

I'd almost go so far as saying he's maybe too polite?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

spincube posted:

Alright, I cackled at the sexism skit.

Yeah, much better use of Laverne than WNN.

I was listening to Spotify today and heard David Mitchell shilling an ad with the gocompare.com twat. Oh David, surely Channel 4 are paying you enough to avoid that?

Brooker seems to be doing a lot better with being live this week.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Rarity posted:

I was listening to Spotify today and heard David Mitchell shilling an ad with the gocompare.com twat. Oh David, surely Channel 4 are paying you enough to avoid that?

Why do people even care about this? Its a redundant and mental thing to care about.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Some Strange Flea posted:

Absolutely. He's trying too hard to have an opinion and "do" the interview than being funny.

I'd almost go so far as saying he's maybe too polite?

Oh no definitely, personally I think he should be laying into them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LE0N posted:

Why do people even care about this? Its a redundant and mental thing to care about.

I don't care if he wants to do ad-work. It's just... it's Go Compare. That opera singer is just terrible.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'm willing go give them the benefit of the doubt and see how the series pans out, because Mitchell obviously needs a lot more practice. I just wish he'd got the interviewing practice in something else first so it wouldn't be an issue, though.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
That Watchcrime bit started as quite strong satire but didn't really go anywhere.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Mitchell at the roundtable coming up a funny thing about Alastair Campbell. Should have said it at the time, silly!

Oh, and am I just imagining it, or does the pace seem slower and calmer this week than the franticness of last week?

edit: I'm liking the Carr interview a lot better than the Mitchell one!

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 27, 2011

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
They're not cutting everything short to crash into ad breaks, the timing's a little better this week. Good luck explaining the economy to C4 viewers, though...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh my god, this Brooker segment is the best thing

Psybro
May 12, 2002
That was a good Brooker bit, nicely collated everything that's been discussed to wring out all the comedy.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah, Brookers part was great. 'Ah, hes taken the fat twat formation'

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Awesome Charlie bit. The audience needs to be a little less hasty to start laughing before he finishes a sentence, but at least he wasn't stopping and looking puzzled this time.

Yes. Great bit.

And I agree, the pace does seem to less frantic this week (a good thing)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Charlie Brooker has been awesome,

David Mitchell is going to crucify Antony whatever

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
Since i'm a big gay and watching Skins, yeah it's loving weird. In the first episode so far someone's raced a mobility wheelchair, had a mudfight, took pills inside a shopping mall and ran away from imcompetent security, gets bullied etc.

Also the main character Frankie has two gay dads, dressed a bit meterosexually, and owns a loving replica revolver.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've not really paid attention to this bit and I have no idea what's going on but dear god I want to slap the guy with the glasses right in the face.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Oh God lay into this bald, old Establishment fucker and his deliberately misleading, patronising, evil shite. Drag these people onto the programme and eviscerate them weekly. Three guests and an entire audience on his arse. Brilliant. I get all my news from the BBC where they have to give these maniacs time in order to remain impartial.

The spontaneous applause after that bit was so cathartic.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 27, 2011

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Brooker's bit was amazing. I quite liked the WatchCrime skit as well, a hell of an improvement over the Tunisia holiday destination thing Carr did last week. I'm liking the slightly more relaxed pace of the show, even if it is obvious some stuff is being cut a little shorter than desired.

^^ Skins sounds so "random", in the bad way. In the "lol I'm so *random*" way.

E: The "professor" needs a slap.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Cokeysmoke posted:

Also the main character Frankie has two gay dads, dressed a bit meterosexually, and owns a loving replica revolver.

Do they have ~*~ISSUES~*~ ?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LE0N posted:

It's Skins. Of course they do.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Going after Serco now. The last week wasn't as vigorous as a standard Channel 4 News broadcast. This is now showing more promise of being the comment wing of Channel 4 News with a smattering of Private Eye.

More rage, less Campbell please. gently caress being seen as legitimate, let's have a political version of The Word, God knows we need it.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

LE0N posted:

She got bullied at Oxford for dressing like a boy apparently.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It'll end up being spun around, though, like the BNP Question Time interview. How dare they gang up on that guy and score points with the audience!

Still processing Brooker drawing a big cock and balls on live TV. Liking the PI-tv idea.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
That's the sort of role Laverne's better suited at here, she isn't an all out comedian and can handle some of the stuff that's not actually too funny but worth covering.

@Skins: Are the token characters of the show now the normal people?

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

N3RDSTER posted:

That's the sort of role Laverne's better suited at here, she isn't an all out comedian and can handle some of the stuff that's not actually too funny but worth covering.

@Skins: Are the token characters of the show now the normal people?

So far there's Frankie, girl with two gay dads who are in the army, Mini, token bitch rich girl, Rich and 'Allo', two rocker type guys, Grace, standard bubbly girl, and thats everyone relevant right now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
"10 O'Clock Live has been far superior this week. It's had actual satire." - Keeley, 18, from Croydon.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the name of that feeling when reality becomes indistinguishable from what you'd think to be balls-out parody? 'Police afraid of the dark,' I mean honestly. Ian Hislop will sleep well tonight, I'll bet

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Switched over to newsnight to see Eric Schmidt as a 1950s cartoon dad.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cokeysmoke posted:

Since i'm a big gay and watching Skins, yeah it's loving weird. In the first episode so far someone's raced a mobility wheelchair, had a mudfight, took pills inside a shopping mall and ran away from imcompetent security, gets bullied etc.

The mobility wheelchair thing was shite, even worse is I remember that the last time they introduced a new cast in the first ep there was a similar thing where a guy was being chased while riding a skateboard :negative:

on the whole though I actually didn't think it was that bad, better than I expected tbh. And yes, it appears that some of the characters might be a bit more normal and not all have some huge issue that causes them infinite angst

Psybro
May 12, 2002
That got better as it went on. Next week, cut out an anodyne sketch and make the newspaper previews at least five minutes.

spincube posted:

It'll end up being spun around, though, like the BNP Question Time interview. How dare they gang up on that guy and score points with the audience!

Good. Keep doing it. Be edgy enough to demand coverage.

More people have seen the Brass Eye Paedophile special and understood what it said about news media than think Chris Morris trivialised child abuse. British youth are taking sides, and this show can capture the Zeitgeist if they have the bollocks, which is all Channel 4 has ever aimed to do. Think of all the wonderful comedy that came out of the Thatcher years, well, we're back there. This has legs if it keeps improving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

That 'terror expert' was such a huge slimy piece of poo poo. He openly admitted to control orders only being for muslims, and said it was reasonable to punish people for just looking at certain types of freely available information. Glad to see the type of scum we have advising our policy makers.