Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Neko Sou posted:

Do any of you guys have any experience with The Innocence Project? http://www.innocenceproject.org/?gclid=CPTk-cCa26YCFUdrKgodDRdO2A I already have an externship in federal district court this summer but I'd really like to do this too. But they need you to work full-time in the summer and part-time during fall semester. It seems like a good learning opportunity and it pays $2,500 (which is better than free). I feel like learning from a judge and the networking/letter of recommendation I'm going to get from the externship this summer will be more helpful but I don't know if I should try to do this at the same time somehow or maybe next summer if I can't find a firm job.

I took the Innocence Project class my school offered. From what I remember the instructor saying, most of the work an extern does for them is read the bajillions of pro se requests for new trials. 99.9% of the requests boil down to "I deserve a new trial because I didn't stab her" or "the cops planted the weed." On the other hand, becoming familiar with the Innocence Project is important (and absolutely mind blowing) if you plan on going into criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Neko Sou posted:

Do any of you guys have any experience with The Innocence Project? http://www.innocenceproject.org/?gclid=CPTk-cCa26YCFUdrKgodDRdO2A I already have an externship in federal district court this summer but I'd really like to do this too. But they need you to work full-time in the summer and part-time during fall semester. It seems like a good learning opportunity and it pays $2,500 (which is better than free). I feel like learning from a judge and the networking/letter of recommendation I'm going to get from the externship this summer will be more helpful but I don't know if I should try to do this at the same time somehow or maybe next summer if I can't find a firm job.

It was my law school externship.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Mr. Chupon posted:

I hadn't considered the possibility that they might look at the patent attorney as an annoyance. Is this common? There are plenty of egos in R&D but it seems like a lot of those guys liked to talk about and share their work too.

I've had at least one experience that I can remember right now where the 'inventor' saw the patent attorney as an annoyance. He was basically a PhD, higher up on the chain at a large internet company. Most 'inventors' are pretty nice to a patent attorney, but you don't exactly have much interaction with them outside of a couple of meetings and some document reviews.

The 'inventions' that you work on usually aren't complex, technical, or amazing. I say this as someone who has done work for a lot of the large tech companies. I could probably sit down right now and churn out a couple of ideas with an 'invention' that I can make up in about 5-30 minutes.

You're not always dealing with some prolific inventor in some cutting edge R&D department. Seriously, the idea of patents is a lot more interesting than the actual experience of procuring a patent. I'd say that the work is pretty boring, but the work-life balance is fantastic. Unfortunately, patent work really is a grind and I'd say that most patent attorneys end up burning out and go in-house where they don't have to prosecute patents anymore.

mongeese fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 27, 2011

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Harvard grades are out, I got a percentage of H's more than last year that is indeterminate because it would require me to divide by 0

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
My official transcript came in the mail, not free of course, and it's missing one of my grades (which is up online and is an A so I really want it showing!!). What the gently caress, law school.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Apparently, grades came out today (HLS). I cannot bear to check them. Literally curled up in a ball on my bed, shaking.

Advice, lawgoons? I'm thinking wait a week and check while drunk.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Jove posted:

Apparently, grades came out today (HLS). I cannot bear to check them. Literally curled up in a ball on my bed, shaking.

Why not get drunk right now and check?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Jove posted:

man up and check you're going to harvard jesus.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 17, 2011

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Jove posted:

What I did was keep a bottle of Mayflower IPA on my desk. If I did good I'd chug it to celebrate, if I did bad I'd chug it to dull the pain

(seriously check that poo poo)

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Jove posted:

There are no more LPs. People from the Class of 2011 got market-paying jobs with straight Ps. Man up.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Hey has anyone here done JAG? What was your experience with it like?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Neko Sou posted:

Do you want to work for a firm or anywhere else? If yes, judge.
Do you want to save the world or do criminal defense? If yes, either.
Do you care more about $2,500 in booze money than a slight gain to future employability? If yes, Innocence Project.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There's a good documentary about (maybe by?) the Innocence Project called After Innocence. I remember this one scene where the guy was talking about a DA who was trying to make a statute of limitations case, and the judge was like "so your position is that even if everything the defendant says is true, and he's factually innocent, he should stay in prison because of the statute of limitations?" and the DA says "yes, that is my position".

Reassuringly the judge was appalled

It's on netflix instant watch if you're interested.

This has been my vaguely law related post for the month. I'll be back when you're talking about warhammer again

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

My official transcript came in the mail, not free of course, and it's missing one of my grades (which is up online and is an A so I really want it showing!!). What the gently caress, law school.

Print out an unofficial one and use that? I think I've used my official transcript pretty much all of once. My firm required us to provide it right before we started working as associates (not for the summer, not to get an offer...) to make sure we graduated and I'm pretty sure a good portion never followed up and sent it.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

ewr2870 posted:

There are no more LPs. People from the Class of 2011 got market-paying jobs with straight Ps. Man up.

Is this actually true? How does the curve work, now, is it just a certain mandated amount of Ps? I'm considering HLS and this would go a long way toward me sealing the deal.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
e: nvm, that was unnecessarily hostile.

entris fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 28, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'ma open a restaurant what you all think

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384431

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Phil that is amazing.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

goddamn dude that is the first time I've ever saved a GWS thread

PMing you for more duckery

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I saw it yesterday about 45 minutes after lunch and started salivating.

What can you do with goat?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384111
We should have shitake by fall.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mr. Chupon posted:

This is something I totally loved about my job as a support engineer. When something new popped up and it was off to Wikipedia, textbooks and white papers.
If you're interested in what Baruch does you can apply to work as a patent examiner when the next round of recruitment happens. Like Petey says, it's ridiculously cushy. It also pays well and you would gain some perspective into whether or not you really want to lock yourself in to becoming a lawyer.

edit: It's worth mentioning that as either a patent prosecutor or a litigator you will never have time to investigate technology in depth, because clients aren't willing to pay for it. You bring the knowledge you have with you, and you'll gradually learn about fields related to your cases, but becoming an attorney would prevent you from doing any kind of substantive research.

Mr. Chupon posted:

Do you find most patents that you work on interesting? Or is it a grind to get them issued?
I'm a patent prosecutor, and spend about a quarter of my time drafting applications. I find the work interesting, but most attorneys think that it's deadly boring.

Mr. Chupon posted:

I hadn't considered the possibility that they might look at the patent attorney as an annoyance. Is this common? There are plenty of egos in R&D but it seems like a lot of those guys liked to talk about and share their work too.
Most of the engineers I work with think of the process of patenting their ideas as something that distracts them from their real work. Some are friendly about it, but many make the process unnecessarily painful, dragging the 1-2 hours of their time that I need into months worth of back and forth emails because they can't be bothered to pick up the phone.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 28, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hahahaha Joat that thread is awesome

i meant thread

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 28, 2011

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's a good documentary about (maybe by?) the Innocence Project called After Innocence. I remember this one scene where the guy was talking about a DA who was trying to make a statute of limitations case, and the judge was like "so your position is that even if everything the defendant says is true, and he's factually innocent, he should stay in prison because of the statute of limitations?" and the DA says "yes, that is my position".

I really liked it. We had the poster from the movie (signed by exonorees, IIRC) outside our office.

To the person asking about IP, I'm perfectly willing to answer questions and share experiences. It's just never seemed like something the thread was really interested in before.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Phil Moscowitz posted:

literally more impressed than anything you're mentioned relating to being a lawyer

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

lmao "joan mon" is actually..the goatman

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Linguica posted:

literally more impressed than anything you're mentioned relating to being a lawyer

if only getting fat and loving with my camera paid my student loans....

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jesus Phil, that's really impressive.

And I'm one of those pretentious assholes who are way too into food.

(Work on your plating.)

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

:golfclap: Looks awesome.

Now you just need proper taco form.

Re: Innocence Project. We got a call from the CO AG last week about a previous client of his. IP did a lot of the legwork and now the AG is looking into it. This is why you never ever ever purge files for homicides.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

if only getting fat and loving with my camera paid my student loans....

I don't know about the fat part, but loving in front of a camera can help with those student loans.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lmao "joat mon" is actually..the goatman

Not originally, but I guess I am now...

P.S. In addition to your cooking, your photography is top notch.

The Arsteia posted:

Hey has anyone here done JAG? What was your experience with it like?
That was one of the trades I was jack of, almost 10 years ago. Except for OCS and my time as a prosecutor, I loved it. Back in the late 80s they'd let anybody in, obviously. My experience may be a bit behind the times.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

HooKars posted:

Print out an unofficial one and use that? I think I've used my official transcript pretty much all of once. My firm required us to provide it right before we started working as associates (not for the summer, not to get an offer...) to make sure we graduated and I'm pretty sure a good portion never followed up and sent it.

Almost all job applications here require copies of official transcripts, and some want actual transcripts mailed in (usually governments/courts go this far). For my current round of articling apps I just used my old transcript with a printout of current grades and a note that I'll forward the new transcript when it's available, but that's gonna be delayed another week now.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Is this actually true? How does the curve work, now, is it just a certain mandated amount of Ps? I'm considering HLS and this would go a long way toward me sealing the deal.

It's hard to tell because there have been several conflicting pronouncements. But the consensus is that while there's a cap on the % of Hs, LPs are now discretionary and need only be assigned where somebody really hosed up.

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder

Napoleon I posted:

Do you want to work for a firm or anywhere else? If yes, judge.
Do you want to save the world or do criminal defense? If yes, either.
Do you care more about $2,500 in booze money than a slight gain to future employability? If yes, Innocence Project.

:shobon: Judge it is. I wouldn't have given up that opportunity for the The Innocence Project, just trying to see if it was worth having a miserable summer to cram both in. Turns out I can really only do one or the other. I actually really want to do family law so I guess being in court all day is more applicable than reading prisoner files.

Hammer of Loki
Nov 29, 2005

Now get me some nails
Well guys, this may be a dubious honor of sorts, but an indirect reference to this ongoing megathread has been published in a book. On page 7, as a matter of fact.

I had begun browsing this thread years back when publicblast was OP, but sadly I did not appreciate the multiple warnings provided about why people should consider going to law school. This thread in fact may have been responsible for getting me in, as I suspect that an excellently critiqued personal statement (thanks publicblast!) helped me compensate for an abysmal LSAT score.

I can honestly say that not knowing why I was going to law school and the experience of law school itself contributed greatly to the multiple emotional breakdowns I experienced during my time there, as well as:

- Losing my two best friends from high school
- Putting on 70 pounds
- Poor, poor job performance
- Drinking more alcohol than at any other point in my life
- Breaking a couple of laws because I was pissed at the system

By the end of it all I was so throughly disillusioned with the system I decided not to take the bar and instead spent the summer learning Arabic. I've come around a little bit and I have decided to take the bar next year, but I have no plans on ever becoming a lawyer.

Since leaving law school last May I have lost those 70 pounds (and working on another 40 as I was a fat little gently caress to begin with) and generally feel far better about myself. Realizing that it was possible to escape the world of law was one of the greatest epiphanies I ever had.

There were some good things that came out during my time there, of course. I truly bonded with my classmates, who are great people, and whom I can say are my best friends. And through a fairly random series of events, Carolina Academic Press published a book chronicling my three years of surviving that place. The title is "The Jim Report: My Life in Law School" and I am using all of the royalties I make off of it solely to pay off my law school debts, just for the irony of it.

Basically I just want to say this: This country really needs good lawyers. If you truly, truly think that law is your calling, then yes consider going to law school. If you are hesitant, then don't go. If that sounds too abrupt for you, then I suggest getting a job as a paralegal. Some who work as a paralegal decide to become lawyers, some don't. Either way I feel like they are making a far more informed decision than some confused kid who is asking his parents for career advice.

If you are thinking about law school, READ THE OP. ALL OF IT.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hammer of Loki posted:

By the end of it all I was so throughly disillusioned with the system I decided not to take the bar and instead spent the summer learning Arabic. I've come around a little bit and I have decided to take the bar next year, but I have no plans on ever becoming a lawyer.

:psyduck: You've come so far and still learned NOTHING. Go, cut the last chain and flee!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Chupon posted:

Do you find most patents that you work on interesting? Or is it a grind to get them issued?

No, but the ones that issue aren't that bad, because either they're distinguished over the prior art that I can find, or I know what they need to do to distinguish from the prior art. The grind are the cases I'm never going to allow that they won't abandon.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
warhammerchat time:

am I too old to start playing

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
people are called to be a lawyer is the same as being called to be a janitor or taxi driver

i hate that term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

warhammerchat time:

am I too old to start playing

are you a grown rear end man