Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
cmorrow, I'll send you an email.

wallofwords posted:

I figured you sold it or something. My DRZ could use a few of those pieces.

What are you looking for? The only other cheap/easy hop up I have at the moment is a set of E cams, I think. Oh, an E model exhaust as well, if you want more flow without too much noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, those two things would work. I was also looking at the FCR, the SSW battery kit and the low seat. I might be getting over my head with cost+shipping to South Texas though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

If cmorrow doesn't take the kick start I will, that is one thing I wish the previous owner would have installed.

The battery is about 9 months old, it just has been sitting for a while. I was out of state for 6 months sick and I think it only got ridden twice during that time. Hopefully the battery isn't hosed from sitting so long and getting discharged. I'll see if I have an extra set of battery tender plugs laying around and just keep a tender on it.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Sent you an email back Z3n. If NitroSpazzzz has money now, I won't be upset if you sell the kick start to him, otherwise I should have money in a few weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Kickstart has been sold, sorry guys :(

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Pff what winter.. I love my DRZ.

Only bike on the road (not counting two vespas but scooter owners are a special breed)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Post that without a location?

Is that a loving castle or lighthouse or something?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Cabot Tower - St. John's, Newfoundland (Canada)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabot_Tower_(Newfoundland)

We should be blanketed in snow this time of year, maybe global warming ain't so bad after all.

Niven fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 9, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh. So it's just purely for aesthetics. Not so exciting.

Can you send me some poutine?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Here's a tire update. I've been running Conti Supermoto tires during the winter months here in Connecticut on my KTM 625SMC. After about 2,200 miles my front looks brand new and my rear is just reaching the top of the wear bars. I'm running the tires semi-hard with frequent wheelies (or accidental burnouts because of the cold asphalt + rubber temps) but I've been running a conservative 30psi in the rear, so nothing too crazy low.

Overall I think their grip is good, turn-in feels sharp despite the flat profile of the rear, and they did well in both dry and wet conditions. However, the wear is just a little too insufficient for the amount of riding I do so I'm going to go back to Pilot Powers and see how long they last me on my KTM. If it's a similar amount, then I'll chalk it up to having a single cylinder semi-powerful bike, but I'm hoping to get at least 3,500 out of the rear of a Pilot Power, especially since I'll be hitting more backroads in the spring as the snow goes away as opposed to just getting my kicks doing wheelies everywhere.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Here's a tire update. I've been running Conti Supermoto tires during the winter months here in Connecticut on my KTM 625SMC. After about 2,200 miles my front looks brand new and my rear is just reaching the top of the wear bars. I'm running the tires semi-hard with frequent wheelies (or accidental burnouts because of the cold asphalt + rubber temps) but I've been running a conservative 30psi in the rear, so nothing too crazy low.

Overall I think their grip is good, turn-in feels sharp despite the flat profile of the rear, and they did well in both dry and wet conditions. However, the wear is just a little too insufficient for the amount of riding I do so I'm going to go back to Pilot Powers and see how long they last me on my KTM. If it's a similar amount, then I'll chalk it up to having a single cylinder semi-powerful bike, but I'm hoping to get at least 3,500 out of the rear of a Pilot Power, especially since I'll be hitting more backroads in the spring as the snow goes away as opposed to just getting my kicks doing wheelies everywhere.

That's pretty surprising you only got that kind of life out of your Contis. I put a set on my 625 and immediately went to the track with them... I got around 3500 street miles and four trackdays on them, sounds like they're worn to about the same level as yours. My front still has some life in it but the center of the rear is pretty well shot (fuckin iowa and its boring straight roads :arghfist::( ). I'm not exactly easy on them either -- tons of wheelies and stoppies, the aforementioned trackdays at a decent pace, and lovely iowa commuting.

I haven't tried them myself, but I've heard true sportbike tires don't perform quite as well on a sumo (especially in a track environment) because the bikes don't have enough weight or speed to get heat in the tires.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
No one understands my DRZ, and I love it. My roommate rides an R6 with fiat-gp replica plastics, so when we roll up to gas stations etc. the DRZ stands out that much harder.

Even the people who ride don't get it. As horribly pretentious as it sounds, only the people I know who ride track days and dirt are excited by it. All of our supersport friends are just baffled.

This is easily the most enjoyable street bike I've had. It's also the most likely to get me in serious trouble. I've been keeping my stoppie/wheelie shenanigans to a minimum by pulling off into just about any open parking lot I find and tearing poo poo up. The corners by both my house and the office are coated with slide marks, and I've been scoping stair cases to severely hurt myself on. There's also a very nice rail road crossing that I'm getting more air off each time... I have no idea what I'm going to say when a cop eventually sees me doing that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hibajubwa posted:

No one understands my DRZ, and I love it. My roommate rides an R6 with fiat-gp replica plastics, so when we roll up to gas stations etc. the DRZ stands out that much harder.

Even the people who ride don't get it. As horribly pretentious as it sounds, only the people I know who ride track days and dirt are excited by it. All of our supersport friends are just baffled.

This is easily the most enjoyable street bike I've had. It's also the most likely to get me in serious trouble. I've been keeping my stoppie/wheelie shenanigans to a minimum by pulling off into just about any open parking lot I find and tearing poo poo up. The corners by both my house and the office are coated with slide marks, and I've been scoping stair cases to severely hurt myself on. There's also a very nice rail road crossing that I'm getting more air off each time... I have no idea what I'm going to say when a cop eventually sees me doing that.

Supermotos are safer in terms of physical harm but so much less safe in terms of legal reprecussions. Especially when you start getting into the more powerful ones (or heavily modded DRZs).

And the correct response to an officer catching you catching air over railroad tracks is "HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE THAT?"

:v:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I know someone who was charged with dangerous riding after he pulled a 75+m wheelie. He was taken to court and when the judge asked him to explain his actions he just said (something to the effect of):

"Your Honor, it was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the road was empty and I was overcome by the simple joy of motorcycling."

Got off with a warning. So it's worth a try :)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

needknees posted:

I haven't tried them myself, but I've heard true sportbike tires don't perform quite as well on a sumo (especially in a track environment) because the bikes don't have enough weight or speed to get heat in the tires.

I thought about this but there are people on SMJ who run them without issues. Also, our KTMs are pretty heavy and not really legit racing motards, so I'm thinking a slightly aired-down Pilot Power will be just the ticket for street/track duty. Not to mention they're cheaper, even moreso than the already-affordable Contis.

I figure 27/30 for street use and 27/27 for track use or something. I just checked the Conti Supermoto page here on motorcycle-superstore.com (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/409/6025/ITEM/Continental-ContiForce-SuperMoto-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch) and the first review sounds similar to me. Couple thousand miles of commuting and they're done.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 20, 2011

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
Guys, im tempted to build up a WR450 or 525EXC SM as a daily rider.
I've never touched these bikes due to their race reputation, and racking up big miles.
Recently i've heard more and more people getting huge miles out of the motors without touching em'
One local guy has 55,000 miles on his WR450F and ive heard of quite a few 30000 mile + KTM RFS motors.

Anyone owned one of these long term as their daily rider? any thoughts?

I've owned two DRZ400s in SM trim and while they are fantastic workhorses, they lack the fun power the enduros put out.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I thought about this but there are people on SMJ who run them without issues. Also, our KTMs are pretty heavy and not really legit racing motards, so I'm thinking a slightly aired-down Pilot Power will be just the ticket for street/track duty. Not to mention they're cheaper, even moreso than the already-affordable Contis.

I figure 27/30 for street use and 27/27 for track use or something. I just checked the Conti Supermoto page here on motorcycle-superstore.com (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/409/6025/ITEM/Continental-ContiForce-SuperMoto-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch) and the first review sounds similar to me. Couple thousand miles of commuting and they're done.

Huh. I must have a freak set of tires or am not nearly as hard on them as some people. Mine stuck loving GREAT and stood up to commuting decently well. They definitely wore fast in the middle but even at trackdays didn't get torn up too bad. Even at pretty fuckin low, low pressures I had trouble keeping heat in the front tire at big tracks.

The rear was perfectly happy around 22-23 cold, had a decent increase in pressure cold to hot. I'd see around 27 hot off the track with the rear. The front though... drat. There was only one track I was really getting a fair bit of heat into it - Blackhawk Farms. I think this is because it's a fairly high speed track and has 3 hard braking zones from high speed into pretty tight corners.

I tried running the front at those pressures and it just never came up to temp. The rear was nice and warm, tacky and stuck great. The front would be just barely warm and would push in tight corners. I was only seeing a pressure increase of 3psi, so I kept dropping it down. Finally started seeing some heat get into the tire and good pressure increases... the next morning I checked the pressure cold and it was like 18psi :v:

Anyway, I don't think there is anything WRONG with running sportbike rubber but I just don't know how it would perform, especially in the front. I wonder how the bike would do with a conti front and PP or Q2 rear?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That's basically what I'm going to run for a bit, the Conti front with a PP rear, since my Conti front is still perfectly fine. Won't have it out on the track for a good long while, unfortunately. They don't even start around here until April and even then, I probably won't get it out until July.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Myself, I wouldn't even consider it unless you're rich and own 2 or 3 bikes, or like rebuilding heads. IIRC KTM have a low-stress schedule for engines not in race use and it's still saying tear down in something like 3,000 miles max.

Yautja posted:

I've never touched these bikes due to their race reputation, and racking up big miles.
Recently i've heard more and more people getting huge miles out of the motors without touching em'
One local guy has 55,000 miles on his WR450F and ive heard of quite a few 30000 mile + KTM RFS motors.

I've owned two DRZ400s in SM trim and while they are fantastic workhorses, they lack the fun power the enduros put out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yautja posted:

The big thing for me would be making sure the transmission gearing is appropriate for street use.

Honestly, it seems like for the cost you'd spend on all of that, you'd be better off finding a husky or a KTM 690 or something. I don't know what your market is like though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just had my first real super moto date through the twisties

:neckbeard: is all

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Here was my first motard date in October. This occurred within five minutes of us riding around town and on backroads. The police officer said "I clocked the first guy doing 69 in a 25. I clocked the second guy doing 69 in a 25....on one wheel."

He let us off with a verbal.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Here was my first motard date in October. This occurred within five minutes of us riding around town and on backroads. The police officer said "I clocked the first guy doing 69 in a 25. I clocked the second guy doing 69 in a 25....on one wheel."

He let us off with a verbal.

Heh, yeah. I remember your post.

A bunch of dudes on sumos is pretty much the worst thing ever. It's like a biker gang from Mad Max or something. Terrorizing cities, revving at chicks, pissing off cars, taunting other motorcyclist, and just being hooligans.

Just sans the whole rape and pillage part.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Yautja posted:

I have an XC4 EXC that I have daily ridden for a few months at a time, and it's got about 4500 miles and 110 hours on its motor now. It's an awesome platform but know what you're getting into with an Austrian racing bike even if it is "street legal" from the factory. It will melt its own turn signals off, it will require an add on radiator fan, it will be finicky to start if the weather is too cold or too hot, the motor only holds 600cc of oil so I wouldn't do too much highway traveling, the headlight bulb and high beam/turn signal indicators will blow out from vibration every couple hundred miles, there is no cush hub, and a bunch of other little poo poo will continuously happen to ensure that it can never be relied upon as your only means of transportation.

Although mine is still pulling pretty strong, at 110 hours of use I am 10 hours past the book's "non-racing" interval for replacing the piston.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Christoff posted:

Heh, yeah. I remember your post.

A bunch of dudes on sumos is pretty much the worst thing ever. It's like a biker gang from Mad Max or something. Terrorizing cities, revving at chicks, pissing off cars, taunting other motorcyclist, and just being hooligans.

Just sans the whole rape and pillage part.

This is pretty accurate. It's exacerbated more by the fact that Connecticut is full of Harleys and squids on sportbikes, so a group of guys in full leathers riding troll bikes is a sight to behold.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Anyone ever try the Bridgestone sumo slicks? I'm thinking about running them on the KTM for trackdays, or at least a front. I think a conti rear and a softer front would work pretty well...

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
So, I think I've gotten bit, and I've got it bad. At least 50% of my time at work is spent watching youtube videos or looking at pictures of DRZs.

Speaking hypothetically, of course - if one were looking to pick up a DRZ400SM, what are the right questions to ask about these bikes? Any common problems / warning signs?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The right question to ask yourself is "why am I not getting a KTM?"

Just sayin' :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

The right question to ask yourself is "why am I not getting a KTM?"

Just sayin' :v:

The answer is:

LC4:
Vibration, burping the frame, cost, engine that likes to blow bearings all the drat time, expense, frequent oil changes.
690:
You can buy 2 DRZs for the cost of one 690.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
With the prices you have in the US everyone should be buying Husqs SM510Rs (and the necessary 7 or 8 spare top-ends to ride it for a year) and never think about anything else. :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone should be buying DRZs and putting an FCR, cams, and an MRD exhaust on it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Primo Itch posted:

With the prices you have in the US everyone should be buying Husqs SM510Rs (and the necessary 7 or 8 spare top-ends to ride it for a year) and never think about anything else. :colbert:

From what I've seen, the SM450R apparently has a better track record of reliability. Either that or it just looks that way cause everybody buys the 510.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Tales of the LC4's vibration are greatly overstated :colbert:. The oil change is quirky, yes, but after you do it a couple times it doesn't take very long at all. The thing that pisses me off about it is lack of reasonably priced aftermarket tanks :(

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Oh my, look what I've done. :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

toolshed posted:

Oh my, look what I've done. :ohdear:

It's on now! KTM vs. Suzuki war! (Husky is Switzerland)

This is why you should buy a DRZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

This is why you should buy a Husky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEXI5GHoUI

This is why you shouldn't buy a KTM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzCb1H5sdfk

Edit: Also they make KTM pacifiers.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 27, 2011

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Z3n posted:

This is why you should buy a Husky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEXI5GHoUI

Your Honour, I rest my case.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

This is why you shouldn't buy a KTM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzCb1H5sdfk

If he had a Husky this never would have happened (he would've been at home heli-coiling stripped threads).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

If he had a Husky this never would have happened (he would've been at home heli-coiling stripped threads).

If it was an Aprilia or a Husaberg he'd be at home dealing with the 5th stroke of those engines.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DRZ: All the performance 1990 could handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

DRZ: All the performance 1990 could handle.

Still manages to keep up with the KTMs :v:

• Locked thread