Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

the Bunt posted:

I don't think Lynch has this intent at all. To me, his work is like an aural stream-of-consciousness novel. He believes that everything comes from one unified place, even if to many people it appears like he's just pulling the rug from under everyone for the sake of loving with them. While that aspect might be intended as well, I just can't see his work as "trolling".

Well, okay, maybe Wild at Heart.

I feel like David Lynch makes 'dreams about movies' rather than 'movies'. If you've ever had a dream about a movie you've seen that's kind of what I mean. And trying to remember exactly what happened in a David Lynch movie is like trying to remember what happened in a weird dream you had. I don't think his films are always entertaining, but that's the vibe I get from his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

the Bunt posted:

I seriously doubt his girl is going to like loving Chungking Express if she thought Pulp Fiction was long and boring.

Alright then, Roman Holiday. If I were forced to choose a movie I thought would be liked by the highest percentage of people in the US, it would definitely be on my short list.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'm sure she'd be real receptive to B&W

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

What the hell is the movie where Nicholas Cage is MAD ABOUT THE ALPHABET?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Vampire's Kiss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfcJUl39iiA

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

There's a link to the list in the video description. It's Vampire's Kiss.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
That was quick! Thank you.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Going to get around to watching Blade Runner soon. The version in my Netflix queue says it has both theatrical and director's cuts - which one is recommended?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Director's cut.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
There also seems to be a 'Final Cut'... what's the consensus about that one?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uh more or less the best version, but it's not a big deal if you watch director's cut instead (I prefer DC because there's some cool subtext lost in final cut). Blade Runner is the rare instance of a movie that gets better the more the director monkeyed with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The theatrical cut was the original release, with a voiceover narration and a happy ending. The director's cut was made later on after Scott regained some creative control, and removes both those elements- the narration is gone, and the ending is now more ambiguous. The final cut is the director's cut remastered and with some effects and continuity errors cleaned up.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
If you don't know that Phillip K Dick was Gnostic and understand what that implies about his interpretation of the book of Genesis, then you don't understand Blade Runner. Alright, bye.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Does anyone know which version of 'Baby Face' netflix has on instant, the theatrical or 'director's cut?'

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Thanks for the input - apparently Netflix has the final cut as well so I'll watch that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

big business sloth posted:

Does anyone know which version of 'Baby Face' netflix has on instant, the theatrical or 'director's cut?'

Um, neither? I just looked and it doesn't show up as streaming. The dvd version they have should have both cuts, but if it doesn't it lists the runtime as 76 minutes, which is the restored version.

edit: Just realized you might be in Canada, which I think has a few different movies streaming than in the US, if that's the case the restored version is 76 minutes and the cut version is 71.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Does anyone know which version of "Meet Dave" I should watch, theatrical or director's cut?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Does anyone know which version of "Meet Dave" I should watch, theatrical or director's cut?
If it's available, try the unrated edition. The violent rape scene changes the dynamic of the movie completely.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Encryptic posted:

Thanks for the input - apparently Netflix has the final cut as well so I'll watch that.

I'd say you should definitely watch both at some point.

cheeseboy
Jun 17, 2005

cheeeeeeese
I have a quote of a disfigured man saying "frrriiiieeend" in my head. I am not sure where it's from! I was thinking it was either The Elephant Man or Sloth from the Goonies, but I have been unable to track down a fitting quote from either of those movies. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

cheeseboy posted:

I have a quote of a disfigured man saying "frrriiiieeend" in my head. I am not sure where it's from! I was thinking it was either The Elephant Man or Sloth from the Goonies, but I have been unable to track down a fitting quote from either of those movies. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

E.T.?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

cheeseboy posted:

Bride of Frankenstein.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

cheeseboy posted:

Penismightier hit the nail on the head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7BO_hqe_q0&feature=related

I've always been partial to; "Smoke gooood", myself.

cheeseboy
Jun 17, 2005

cheeeeeeese
Yay, that's it! I feel so satisfied! Thanks!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Skwirl posted:

Um, neither? I just looked and it doesn't show up as streaming. The dvd version they have should have both cuts, but if it doesn't it lists the runtime as 76 minutes, which is the restored version.

edit: Just realized you might be in Canada, which I think has a few different movies streaming than in the US, if that's the case the restored version is 76 minutes and the cut version is 71.

I dumb. you, thank

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I apologize if this was asked before, but Donnie Darko, normal vs Director's Cut. Got both in the netflix queue, One ought to go, which is the better version?

FWIW, I have seen the original version when it first came out, getting it for the wife.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

CzarChasm posted:

I apologize if this was asked before, but Donnie Darko, normal vs Director's Cut. Got both in the netflix queue, One ought to go, which is the better version?

FWIW, I have seen the original version when it first came out, getting it for the wife.

Most people seem to prefer the original, which is more ambiguous and leaves a lot more of the events up to the viewer's interpretation. The director's cut makes the film more explicitly clear, reinforcing the idea that the film is essentially a sci-fi time-travel movie with very clear rules. Does that make any sense?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I loved Donnie Darko in the original version, and I hated the director's cut.

Was anyone aware that there was a sequel (not written or directed by the guy from Donnie Darko)?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kapalama posted:

Was anyone aware that there was a sequel (not written or directed by the guy from Donnie Darko)?
Yeah, unfortunately I have. Supposedly it has no connection to the original beyond the title character (Donnie's sister), but no other characters return from the 1st movie. It's another one of those really cheap unnecessary sequels that takes one character from the original, and basically nothing else beyond maybe the primary concept. I haven't seen it, but the ratings are all terrible.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The director's cut of Donnie Darko blows. It's basically the normal version with cue cards which spell everything out that rob the movie of any ambiguity and fun.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

kapalama posted:

I loved Donnie Darko in the original version, and I hated the director's cut.

It's a direct to DVD release. It basically can be summed up as "What if a Darko Fan made a sequel" without understanding anything about what worked in the first film and blatantly copies camera styling and drops random references of the past film with no real reason into a plot that isn't much more than "Small Utah townsfolk go crazy."

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Can someone explain to me the part in New York, I Love You, where Shia LaBeouf's character kills himself by jumping out a window and the older gentleman takes over his role? Is the lady remembering a younger man who loved her? I don't quite get it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WebDog posted:

It's a direct to DVD release. It basically can be summed up as "What if a Darko Fan made a sequel" without understanding anything about what worked in the first film and blatantly copies camera styling and drops random references of the past film with no real reason into a plot that isn't much more than "Small Utah townsfolk go crazy."
Or basically it does everything all of the other direct-to-video sequels do.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Is the Denny character in The Room supposed to be retarded? He doesn't grasp social norms and seems to be under the care of Johnny and Lisa despite appearing to be in his early 20's.

Whack fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 5, 2011

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just watched The Aviator, and while I found it to be enjoyable I'm not sure what the point was. I learned a lot about a few decades in Howard Hughes' life, but there wasn't really a strong central plot and it just kind of ended at a very arbitrary point. Was Scorcese just trying to convey some biographical information or is there some underlying meaning/message that I didn't get?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Howard Hughes really liked soap.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Way of the future
Way of the future
Way of the future

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PlasticPaddy posted:

Is the Denny character in The Room supposed to be retarded? He doesn't grasp social norms and seems to be under the care of Johnny and Lisa despite appearing to be in his early 20's.

I think it just has more to do with Tommy Wiseau's complete lack of understanding of basic human interaction. Like how his idea of a bunch of guys hanging out is to stand around a few feet from each other and awkwardly throw footballs at each other.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That plays so well in slow motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PlasticPaddy posted:

Well he does have a drug problem.