Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

fishandcandy posted:

I don't think you can judge someone's grief on how far along they were in their pregnancy. There are women who are absolutely devasted by miscarriages at 6 weeks - like naming the baby and getting memorial tattoos.
And having a genetically defective baby doesn't make losing it any easier either.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that, but I was having trouble wording what I was saying in a way that wouldn't come across as offensive. I probably should have said that PERSONALLY, I think I'd be upset no matter what, but I would likely be even more devastated the further along I was in the pregnancy, genetic defects or not. In the case of my relative, it was terrible that she had a totally healthy pregnancy up until month 8 and then bam, spontaneous miscarriage for no apparent reason. For me that'd be even worse than spontaneously miscarrying at week 8 because I'd feel like week 8 was still in the "expected" timeframe for miscarriages, but I know that isn't the case for everyone. I hope I didn't offend anyone too much with my poorly worded post.

Alterian, the obese aunt I mentioned earlier had been told not to have any more kids after the second one because of huge health risks to her and the baby (she was also impoverished and had problems being able to adequately care for the kids she already had). She lost her third pregnancy and was very sternly told by her doctor to never get pregnant again. Cue a year or so later, my mom got a phone call from my aunt who said, "So I just had another baby this morning. I didn't tell anyone because I thought you'd all be pissed at me and my doctor is REALLY pissed, just like I expected, but you're happy for me, right? Right?" :psyduck: I don't know, when you can barely care for the kids you already have, you lost one pregnancy and were told to not get pregnant again because both you and the baby would be at a huge risk, and then you get pregnant again and don't tell ANYONE, even your doctor, until after the kid is born....I don't even know what to think. It feels so unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
The way I read it, Alterian just meant that the high possibility of first-trimester miscarriage is why people tend to wait to spill the beans to everyone they know. Posting a status update to announce before then just means you had better be comfortable with your entire social circle knowing about your miscarriage, if you have one. I don't think it's a "shameful" thing to keep secret, but I believe I'd like to keep it private if it happened to me - to each their own, though. Reading others' posts in the most inflammatory way possible seems to be the real issue, not Alterian's blatant insensitivity to someone else's loss. Just my 2c! Back to *~babydance and babydust~*.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

starshine posted:

The way I read it, Alterian just meant that the high possibility of first-trimester miscarriage is why people tend to wait to spill the beans to everyone they know. Posting a status update to announce before then just means you had better be comfortable with your entire social circle knowing about your miscarriage, if you have one. I don't think it's a "shameful" thing to keep secret, but I believe I'd like to keep it private if it happened to me - to each their own, though. Reading others' posts in the most inflammatory way possible seems to be the real issue, not Alterian's blatant insensitivity to someone else's loss. Just my 2c! Back to *~babydance and babydust~*.

Thats pretty much what I meant. I do have large personal issues with modern social technology and how people use it! Yes, I have a facebook profile, but I don't share every little private detail of my life.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
Sorry Alterian. I didn't mean to get my back up, it's just I've struggled alot with feeling like I'm allowed to be upset about my losses because they were "only" 8 and 9 weeks. I guess I just read into it negatively.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dishonesty posted:

Sorry Alterian. I didn't mean to get my back up, it's just I've struggled alot with feeling like I'm allowed to be upset about my losses because they were "only" 8 and 9 weeks. I guess I just read into it negatively.

Oh no trust me. If I had a miscarriage at that week I would be pretty upset. I just think really personal stuff like that should be sort of kept to yourself and not broadcasted to the entire world because it is a personal matter. Thats why I'd never tell anyone except really close family that I was pregnant until I was past that window. If you're depressed and want to talk to someone, thats what family and close friends are for. Not co workers that only accepted your friend invitation so you don't cause work drama because you've never even talked to the drat person at work.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Yeah work drama, UGH. I need to quietly unfriend every single one of those bitches. I got out of that snakepit for a reason.

Tomorrow morning is my u/s and possibly trigger! Kinda cool :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Good luck, Papaya!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Bah, only 1 follicle at 12mm so I'll be back on Monday for the real deal. He said my uterine lining was gorgeous. I guess that's a good thing!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I made it through the first month after my IUD without getting knocked up, which is a good thing because according to my Dr., it gives me time to build up a nice healthy uterine lining, since I hadn't been having periods for years. Hormones galores for the last month tho.

According to my little fertility app on my phone, I should be pretty drat fertile on Valentines day. How romantic :)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Papaya posted:

Bah, only 1 follicle at 12mm so I'll be back on Monday for the real deal. He said my uterine lining was gorgeous. I guess that's a good thing!

That is probably the funniest things I've heard regarding comments after looking at female parts. "Your uterine lining is gorgeous."

You made me laugh. Good luck to you on Monday!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Papaya posted:

That's hilarious. Reminds me of when my lactation consultant told me I have "really adequate milk storage capacity." (read: huge loving tits, jesus, woman, how do you stand upright?)

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

hahahaaha the poo poo we hear at medical appointments - I hope I get some adequate storage capacity, I couldn't feed a mouse on current status.

Yeah he was ultrasounding the uterus and he said, "wow look at that, your uterine lining is gorgeous, you want to see the three lines like so" and he draws a line with the machine over the image "and you have them, just perfect!"

Damnit that had better mean I'll achieve pregnancy immediately upon IUIing. I mean come on, with a lining like that!

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Good luck Papaya!

I'm not pregnant again. Unfortunately, we can't go ahead with anything this cycle because they think the cyst is too big. The issue of the cyst really seems to depend on which nurse does the ultrasound. Anyway, I have to do another round of birth control pills to try to get rid of that and if that doesn't work I will definitely be getting it drained. I'm really not sure what the issue is. They say the issue is about follicle development, but I always have good follicles even on the ovary with the cyst, so I don't understand what the issue is. I'm just so frustrated about all of this. Next month we can hopefully try again and I think we'll be doing injectables + IUI. Anyone know anything about injectables?

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008
There are so many factors that having all good levels, many mature follicles, and still negative result. With IVF you can literally put the mature eggs in a petri dish with sperm and still no embryos! So of course it could fail in the body as well. With me they had to literally inject my mature eggs with individual sperms and then hatch them. And then with all that I still went from 12 eggs to 5 actual blastocysts. And then after all that you still have like a 25% chance of miscarriage. Or lack of implantation.

When I did a round of Clomid, I ended up with 3 follicles, only one of which was mature. They moved me directly to stims after that. The stims (aka injectibles) push more follicles to mature. My first round of stims was two units of Menopur a day. They had originally prescribed a pen stim (GonalF) but I freaked out when they told me it was going to cost $1700 and I had a friend who had some leftover Menopur so my doctor let me switch. Pens (GonalF, Follistim) are the easiest and I recommend them. They're in cartridge form so you just put the cartridge in the pen, measure out your dosage, and inject. For Menopur and Bravelle, you get powder vials and liquid files and you have to mix them like a chemist. It's not hard, but it's a little nervewracking. I started on 2 powders per day ($69 each) + 1 liquid and I had 9 days of stimulation before my Ovidrel trigger.

Next cycle I went to 3 powders (8 days), then 4 powders (7 days). Then they gave up on Menopur and switched me to Follistim and a Ganirelex chaser. There are different stim protocols and I was on the Ganirelex (Antagonist) version. Another is Lupron which I'm not familiar with. Ganirelex stalls your ovulation so that you have more time for your follicles to mature. You can read more about it here: http://www.advancedfertility.com/ivf-stimulation-antagonist.htm

For IVF, I was on Follistim AND 2 powders of Menopur and I literally ended up with more than 30 follicles. Apparently the ovaries become the size of tennis balls and you have to take it easy or they can literally tear off from their weight. Read about OHSS: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Ovarian+hyperstimulation+syndrome

If you've already done more than three IUIs, I personally would move onto IVF. I know I'm biased since it worked for me, but it's a lot closer to a sure thing. I guess maybe try a couple IUIs with stims? I don't know how old you are if you are fighting against a clock, but you could save up this year and then start a good FSA account for next year if you don't have coverage. I had coverage for everything but meds and still ended up going through around $8K (mostly because of failed IUIs).

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

Bahunter22 posted:

That is probably the funniest things I've heard regarding comments after looking at female parts. "Your uterine lining is gorgeous."

You made me laugh. Good luck to you on Monday!

I went to my first OB/GYN when I was 14 because I had this large lump in my breast. In the process of feeling up my boobs, he said. "Oh man, you have GREAT birthing hips!" Seriously?! Keep your eyes on the task at hand! It turned out to be the beginning of years of suffering with marble bags for boobs ( fibercystic breast disease) that pretty much cured itself when I got pregnant the first time. At the time, though, I was scared I had cancer or something, not to mention how underage I was!

It is funny how doctors just blurt these things out and how funny they sound afterwards. Especially when we get it!

When I wad pregnant with twins, my (different) OB/GYN measured my uterus and blurted out " my god, you're going to be HUGE!!!!" I was actually quite pleased about this at the time.

Too funny.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

jota23 posted:

( fibercystic breast disease) that pretty much cured itself when I got pregnant the first time.

You're lucky. My fibrocystic breast disease has gotten worse since having my baby. :sigh:

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

Fire In The Disco posted:

You're lucky. My fibrocystic breast disease has gotten worse since having my baby. :sigh:

I went from having dozens of marble sized cysts to having half a dozen or less pinhead sized cysts. I'm not sure it could have gotten any worse. The pain was unbearable when someone accidentally brushed up against me in the halls. I'm lucky it got so much better. I do feel your pain.

LizaAbeja
Jul 3, 2007
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.
I got my first positive on an OPK this evening! I tried testing a few months ago and never saw a positive. With a sucky family history of fertility problems, I was bummed out. So the fact that I go a positive AND it is Day 14 has me really excited! So now I guess we just get to work and cross our fingers?!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Good luck!

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Sigh.

I was told ages ago that the medication I'm on for my Epilepsy increased the risk of neural tube defects during pregnancy, so I was on 10x higher the dose of Folate for the last couple of years to try and combat it.

It's only when I saw my psychiatrist towards the end of the year that he showed some concern. He was astounded that I was still on the medication while pregnant, given the risks, and couldn't believe nobody had said anything.

Matt was at that appointment, and went home and googled the medication and pregnancy. When he saw the huge % increase, and the class-action suits against the company who makes the medication he was furious. We knew there was an increased risk, but I was taking more Folate, and neither OB (we saw TWO different ones) said a single thing.

Not even "Oh, I see you're on this medication, we'll have to look into that." Nothing.

So Matt was absolutely furious that this medication may have caused my miscarriages, and the massive breakdown I had that landed me in psychiatric care in the first place, may have been preventable.

Now, I may have just been one of the many unlucky women who have miscarriages because of an abnormality that just happens. BUT, it may have been my medication, we can never know.

But regardless, I had an appointment with my neurologist the other day to discuss changing medications to one that's "safer" (as safe as they can be in pregnancy).

My two options?

Change to this new med slowwlly, and don't conceive for about 6 months to make sure I'm responding well to it and not having seizures.

OR

Go off all medication all together (since my epilepsy isn't severe), but that means no driving for 6 months.

Woe. I know the driving thing seems like nothing, but being able to get myself places and to uni and work etc is a big thing. I don't want to rely on other people who may not always be immediately available.

But then.. waiting 6 months sucks big time. I already feel so behind, not having a baby yet.

Boo. FML.

/rant

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Thank you so much for all the info, Farrah! You're so helpful :) I was planning on doing three or four more IUIs before moving to IVF. I'm 23, so I'm not fighting the clock.

Dishonesty, I'm so sorry! That just plain sucks :sympathy: I'm shocked that neither OB said anything about the medication. It seems like a HUGE oversight.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

So I cried like a bitch tonight because I'm a needle-phobe and I had to give myself the ovulation trigger shot here at home. I got all the way up to where you stick yourself (in the stomach no less) and then I broke down bawling and shaking like a dumbass. My husband was right there and removed the syringe from my grasp and just stabbed me like a pro, and I don't know how many times he told me he was done before I stopped looking away and actually began to chill out some.

SO it's done, and Saturday morning is my first IUI! Kinda neat, but I really hope more than ever I get super loving lucky on the first go because I don't want to have injections every cycle. I feel really bad for people who have gone down that path and beyond. Then again, not everyone is a big crybaby like me, so I probably just sound like a whiner ;P

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
You don't sound like a whiner! It does kind of shock me that you've mentioned working in vet clinics yet you have needle phobia. Giving injections and drawing blood every day desensitized me to needles REAL quick. Sorry you have to go through that, but it sounds like your husband is a good helper :) Good luck tomorrow!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

yawnie posted:

It does kind of shock me that you've mentioned working in vet clinics yet you have needle phobia.

poo poo I can draw blood in a heartbeat and hit a jugular on a hairy dog first stick, but you point that needle at me and I cry like it's torture :P When they broke out the fake dog legs to practice drawing blood in school, I about fainted. That part I did get over, but I still suck when it's my turn for the poking.

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008
Hopefully you never have to go on injectibles or progesterone-in-oil or Lovenox because Ovidrel is the easiest shot there is in fertility treatment. Haven't they been taking your blood to check your levels?

I didn't have to do PIO but from what I've heard it's progesterone in sesame seed oil so it's really thick and takes a long time to come out and it makes big knots in your butt.

Good luck with your IUI and may the two week wait not be too excrutiating. :)

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

Farrah posted:

Haven't they been taking your blood to check your levels?

I had blood drawn for some tests (HIV, Rubella, blood typing, even though these were done at my primary care office months ago) both Monday and Wednesday, both to my surprise, and I cried like a bitch then too. I'm such a retard concerning needles. I have an appt on the 19th for my official test, gonna cry then also.

Yeah this two week thing I guess I can finally understand, how women get all worked up by it. I have some old pregnancy tests I was going to use to see if I could catch the hcg fading from the shot like I read about online. I think I'm hoping for a positive first time not because I want my offspring but moreso because I want as few injections as possible ;)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Looks like I was right, my pack of OPKs are defective. Not all of them, but enough that I can test on one and get a very faint negative and test on another at the same time and get a very, very dark positive. One of them even had dents in the strip so it didn't develop at all. Ugh. I guess the good news is 2/3 of my tests today have been very positive for the surge, which I know is accurate since I have egg whites so I'm going with the majority. Its just kind of dumb.

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004
The ob/gyn said that it would be difficult for us to conceive naturally and would probably have to result to assisted means. He still prescribed some magic pills and injections. He also recommended that we first try naturally on certain days for the best chance.

We try October. No luck. November. No luck. So we decide to give it a break for December and January since it is quite expensive visiting a specialist several times per weeks for weeks.

She missed her period for January, but we thought it was normal since she didn't have regular periods. Nonetheless, she bought a pregnancy kit and tried it last night. We also tried a Clearblue kit this afternoon. We then went to a hospital earlier tonight since our ob/gyn returns from Chinese New Years holiday on the 10th (okay the stomach cramps this time was due to curry for lunch at my request).

All of the tests turned out positive. She is five to six weeks along. Ultrasound showed him/her at 0.68cm for the very first time.

Maybe it's just me, but you can think you are prepared all you want, but the moment you find out, nothing can ever prepare you.

I am terrified.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

Hahaa well said, Kenshi. I had my IUI today and knowing that I might actually wind up pregnant has me more worried than I have felt in the last 2.5 years.

So the IUI was uncomfortable, I guess is the best way to describe it. Obviously the speculum was annoying like it always is but actually threading the catheter into my cervix was very weird, and once he got it in place he shoved the dildocam up there to make sure it was all correct, and I got to watch on the ultrasound monitor the actual application of the sperm. That was neat. The cramps I had for the next hour were not, but whatever I whine too much.

Thanks for the luckwishing, guys. I guess we'll see how it goes!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Congratulations, Kenshi! How exciting! Best of luck to you, Papaya!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I am 6 DPO (7 if you're looking at Friday) and as of Wednesday the trigger shot was nearly entirely faded. In fact, if I wasn't keenly aware of how stark white negative tests look, I wouldn't've seen the faint mark on this last one.

I expect the test in the morning to be white as well. Now I get to hope for the positive to come back again, and then I can outsmart the RE's office by knowing before the blood test :smug: Well, I'll probably know one way or the other anyway, but of course we're hoping for the better of the two outcomes.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So exciting! YAY!

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Papaya posted:

I am 6 DPO (7 if you're looking at Friday) and as of Wednesday the trigger shot was nearly entirely faded. In fact, if I wasn't keenly aware of how stark white negative tests look, I wouldn't've seen the faint mark on this last one.

I expect the test in the morning to be white as well. Now I get to hope for the positive to come back again, and then I can outsmart the RE's office by knowing before the blood test :smug: Well, I'll probably know one way or the other anyway, but of course we're hoping for the better of the two outcomes.

Wait.

WAIT.

Are you saying you're pregnant?!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Papaya, it takes up to 10 days for trigger shots to fade out of your system. Not that I don't want you to be pregnant! I just don't want you to be severely disappointed either.

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008
I think pee-on-a-stick pregnancy tests test for a beta number 50 or higher, but blood will test for all ranges. If you look at the betabase, it'll show you the average betas based on days past ovulation: http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

dishonesty posted:

Are you saying you're pregnant?!

Not quite but maybe, who knows!

They told me it (the trigger) could be cleared as early as 7 days, as late as 16 or more. I had a cache of tests that I otherwise won't be using since all this RE bullshit is bloodwork anyway, so I figured I'd track the levels like that like a lot of people who get the shots do.

I mean if I'm getting totally white tests for a few days and then they start to get positives again, I think it's safe to say it's likely to be a true one.

edit: I guess I should clarify in case it wasn't clear, I have been using the tests every other day since 2 days post trigger; first test was super dark and they have only gotten lighter since.

Papaya fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 13, 2011

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I posted over in the pre-natal/ pregnancy thread and was directed here.... haven't read the entire thread, but I am at my wit's end and want some answers. I'm hoping I can get some help here... (or if this kind of situation has already been addressed in this thread, just direct me there and then ignore me.)

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 8 months now after having been on the pill for around 7 years. I knew that my body would need time to adjust, but even though my cycles were longer (around 40 days each) I had three "regular" cycles right after going off the pill. During this time I saw a doctor who ran some tests and said that I'm "probably" ovulating. She didn't sound too optimistic, but had no help to offer since we were still so early in the process. Currently, however, I am in my 16th week since my last cycle started with repeated negative pregnancy tests. I have called three different doctors (literally all the OBs in my rural area) and they just tell me that my body is still getting used to being off the pill and that I shouldn't come in until we've been trying for a year. I haven't really been having any pregnancy symptoms, but I'm really worried that something is wrong with my body. This can't be good or normal. Any thoughts or suggestions?

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
The husband and I officially started trying for our second child this week. It seems like a pretty good time for it - he'll be finishing school next month and getting a better job, our little girl is about to turn 4 and will be starting preschool soon. We didn't have problem number one with getting pregnant the last time. We'd been married about a year and decided we were ready so I went off the pill. As we all know there are only a couple days each month that you can actually become pregnant, so we did what newlyweds do and just had sex every day for a month to be sure not to miss it. Worked like a charm, hahaha.

Obviously we can't go that route this time, having our daughter now who loves to interfere with our plans ;) and also both of us being tired from work, and being married for almost six years now we just don't have sex every day anymore, though it would be nice. My cycle is short (24-25 days) so we most likely already missed our window for this month, but we'll see what happens!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

SassySally posted:

I posted over in the pre-natal/ pregnancy thread and was directed here.... haven't read the entire thread, but I am at my wit's end and want some answers. I'm hoping I can get some help here... (or if this kind of situation has already been addressed in this thread, just direct me there and then ignore me.)

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 8 months now after having been on the pill for around 7 years. I knew that my body would need time to adjust, but even though my cycles were longer (around 40 days each) I had three "regular" cycles right after going off the pill. During this time I saw a doctor who ran some tests and said that I'm "probably" ovulating. She didn't sound too optimistic, but had no help to offer since we were still so early in the process. Currently, however, I am in my 16th week since my last cycle started with repeated negative pregnancy tests. I have called three different doctors (literally all the OBs in my rural area) and they just tell me that my body is still getting used to being off the pill and that I shouldn't come in until we've been trying for a year. I haven't really been having any pregnancy symptoms, but I'm really worried that something is wrong with my body. This can't be good or normal. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Have you tried any kind of charting with your cycles? You can usually track ovulation by charting your basal (waking) body temperature, and also by checking cervical fluid, or by taking ovulation tests. It does sound like your body is having trouble adjusting, and if you're at week 16 with no period then you're obviously not ovulating regularly. I've heard of people having an impossible time trying to find a doctor who will see them before a year has passed, so even though that sucks :( You might want to try charting your cycles so you have a better base of information to work off of when you are finally allowed to go in.

Check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. The bible of womanly information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Papaya posted:

Not quite but maybe, who knows!

They told me it (the trigger) could be cleared as early as 7 days, as late as 16 or more. I had a cache of tests that I otherwise won't be using since all this RE bullshit is bloodwork anyway, so I figured I'd track the levels like that like a lot of people who get the shots do.

I mean if I'm getting totally white tests for a few days and then they start to get positives again, I think it's safe to say it's likely to be a true one.

edit: I guess I should clarify in case it wasn't clear, I have been using the tests every other day since 2 days post trigger; first test was super dark and they have only gotten lighter since.

Ooooh ok makes more sense now! Congrats then!

• Locked thread