Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

big business sloth posted:

What is the font used on The Jesus Lizard's Album 'Goat'?

It looks like LTR Reserve Note or Engravers MT (which are both typefaces intended to duplicate the lettering on money), though they're taller and thinner. I ran the album cover through Photoshop and filled the letters in and whatthefont.com recommends something like ITC Ultra Condensed.

vvv There's also looking at the post history of people that act like idiots to see if it's a habitual thing for them.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

PlasticPaddy posted:

You asked if Jackie O. gave her recently assassinated husband a handjob. That question is infinitely stupider than his.

You actually kept track of who asked about Jackie O jacking off her husband.

There's asking something stupid in an "Ask Stupid Questions Thread", and then there is OCD'ing about who said something stupid, then there is OCD'ing about it to the point you remember who said what two weeks later.

You did what he did, just remembered enough about it to comment about it two weeks later.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

kapalama posted:

You actually kept track of who asked about Jackie O jacking off her husband.

There's asking something stupid in an "Ask Stupid Questions Thread", and then there is OCD'ing about who said something stupid, then there is OCD'ing about it to the point you remember who said what two weeks later.

You did what he did, just remembered enough about it to comment about it two weeks later.

You do realize that you can press the little question mark under peoples names on their posts to see all the posts they've had in the thread so far, right? I suspect that's what PlasticPaddy did rather than obsessively remembering it as you're describing.

Anyway, this has all been a pretty stupid derail and I suggest people drop it before a mod comes in and hands out a few probations.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Can't we all just take a step back and read this quote together one more time?

John Q Russia posted:

You loving piece of poo poo please blow your terrible head off once you have the answer to your question about high-end electronics.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 27, 2011

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Well, obviously he wasn't being a dick about it because he clearly stated he wanted him to have his question answered, before suicide.:colbert:

I really just wanted to post about making a Oil drum/barrel into a fireplace; you should poke a few air holes along the bottom, an inch or two off the ground. It's also a good idea to toss a cinder block or two in there to keep the fire aloft a little bit and help air flow.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Slim Killington posted:

It looks like LTR Reserve Note or Engravers MT (which are both typefaces intended to duplicate the lettering on money), though they're taller and thinner. I ran the album cover through Photoshop and filled the letters in and whatthefont.com recommends something like ITC Ultra Condensed.

vvv There's also looking at the post history of people that act like idiots to see if it's a habitual thing for them.

Thanks. I tried that website but the sideways 'the' was loving it up. I think I found a good font based on your suggestion though, thanks.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Dudebro posted:

This is a really complex question, but how the hell do I start an internet start-up? I want to make money eventually (and everything is virtual, no tangible product), but I don't know how to build a website. Basically, I want to find someone who can invest money for programmers to make the website (not technically complex, I think) and to go from there. Also to help manage the site and stuff like that since I'm not a business-savvy person.

I'm a programmer at such a startup, and there are basically three phases of funding:
F3: Friends, Family, and Fools - ~ $1,000 - $10,000 ea
Angel Investors - $50,000 - $250,000 ea
Venture Capitol - $1 - $3 mil ea

If you don't have a product that you can demonstrate, a customer base that is using that product, several patents, and a business model, you almost definitely won't get past phase 1.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I just came across this Jeopardy! clue:

Group of 4 letters that sounds different within words for done, exhaustive, hack, idea, branch & coarse.

The answer is: o-u-g-h

How the gently caress does this make sense?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Abel Wingnut posted:

I just came across this Jeopardy! clue:

Group of 4 letters that sounds different within words for done, exhaustive, hack, idea, branch & coarse.

The answer is: o-u-g-h

through, thorough, dunno, thought, bough, & tough

revolther
May 27, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Had it been phrased, 4 letters that sound different within synonyms for.. it would have been a bit more obvious what they were looking for.

Hack's synonym is cough.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hello! I need to buy a watch. Preferably a nice watch...diamond fingers and gold bands don't matter that much, and I want it to be Analogue, Durable, oh, and a Woman's watch. I've gone through like 4 watches on Target, each of them drying..and them refusing to replace the battery for whatever reason, attempted to replace a few myself, and it's all gone horribly wrong. I I appear to be looking in the wrong direction when purchasing a watch? I need some Consumer Watch 101..any help or advice here? Much is appreciated.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I got my wife a Citizen EcoDrive. The face is a solar cell, so the battery never needs changing as long as you show it some light every three days or so. She's clumsy and while the watch looks like it has been worn, it's pretty sturdy and still looks nice. They run about $200 and can normally be gotten at that price or cheaper at Overstock.com or chronoshark.com.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Womens-Stainless-Steel-Watch/3858356/product.html

Currently $139. There are other EcoDrive models as well out there if this one doesn't suit your fancy.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
so I bought a nice stainless steel water bottle recently. I think it's either 500 mL or 750 mL, not sure if that really matters. Anyway, whenever I try to drink water from it, it makes this god awful whistling noise. I was wondering if anyone had the same experience, and if they fixed it somehow. I take it with me to class and it is very distracting for the people around me.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
1) is there a "Doin' poo poo on Ebay" megathread?

2) If not: I have an item on ebay for Buy it Now/Best Offer. Early on in the auction someone made a bid that I counter offered, but they chose not to accept my counter offer. Is there a way to let that person know I will accept their original offer, if they're still interested?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Aphasian posted:

I got my wife a Citizen EcoDrive. The face is a solar cell, so the battery never needs changing as long as you show it some light every three days or so. She's clumsy and while the watch looks like it has been worn, it's pretty sturdy and still looks nice. They run about $200 and can normally be gotten at that price or cheaper at Overstock.com or chronoshark.com.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Womens-Stainless-Steel-Watch/3858356/product.html

Currently $139. There are other EcoDrive models as well out there if this one doesn't suit your fancy.

Seconding this. I got an ecodrive for Christmas about three or four years ago and I've been very happy with it. There are also some watches out there that are self-winding; like just normal hand/arm movements are enough to wind up the mainspring. Don't know much about them though, but it's maybe something to consider.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Space-Bird posted:

Hello! I need to buy a watch. Preferably a nice watch...diamond fingers and gold bands don't matter that much, and I want it to be Analogue, Durable, oh, and a Woman's watch. I've gone through like 4 watches on Target, each of them drying..and them refusing to replace the battery for whatever reason, attempted to replace a few myself, and it's all gone horribly wrong. I I appear to be looking in the wrong direction when purchasing a watch? I need some Consumer Watch 101..any help or advice here? Much is appreciated.

The watch thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718348

Mostly men's watches but plenty of knowledge in there and wouldn't hurt to ask.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

I can't figure out what this scarf is called...
Usually I'll see these in ads or movies on old rich men.
It looks like a silky, thin material that they cover their neck with, but they put it under their button down shirt.
Sometimes there is a pin in the middle of it for whatever reason.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

CrunchyTaco posted:

It looks like a silky, thin material that they cover their neck with, but they put it under their button down shirt.

ascot

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

CrunchyTaco posted:

Cravat?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I sold something as-is and broken on eBay. I made it very clear that what I was selling was not guaranteed to work. The buyer is not threatening me to ruin my 100% feedback by leaving a negative feedback and filing a claim. I am not worried about him filing a claim since I know I will win. But what I am concerned about is him leaving the negative feedback. Can the buyer leave me negative feedback even before he files a claim / loses the claim?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Busy Bee posted:

I sold something as-is and broken on eBay. I made it very clear that what I was selling was not guaranteed to work. The buyer is not threatening me to ruin my 100% feedback by leaving a negative feedback and filing a claim. I am not worried about him filing a claim since I know I will win. But what I am concerned about is him leaving the negative feedback. Can the buyer leave me negative feedback even before he files a claim / loses the claim?

Yes, but you can get it removed if eBay agree that it's defamatory (which pretty much only requires you filling a defamation form and faxing it to them).

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 11, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Yes, but you can get it removed if eBay agree that it's defamatory (which pretty much only requires you filling a defamation form and faxing it to them).

I had a right bitch leave me a negative because even though the TV I sold her was in great working order and she was happy with it, her husband argued with my boyfriend when he picked it up because her husband parked in the wrong place. This according to her was enough reason to ruin my 100% rating by saying I was a terrible seller and no one should deal with me!

I got it removed but annoyingly once the bad feedback is gone, the negative score remains - so no one can see the comment but they can see that you got 1 negative in the last 12 months or however long, and you no longer have 100% positive.

Wow is that so? I have 400 feedback at 100% that I've kept at for the past 7 years.....

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Busy Bee posted:

Wow is that so? I have 400 feedback at 100% that I've kept at for the past 7 years.....

Yep. I'm on 501 positive and one negative.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 11, 2017

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is there a reliable way of telling if an apartment complex is poo poo or not? Apartmentratings.com seems to be swarmed with 1-star ratings with people commenting accusing them of being bitter ex-staff, and 5-star ratings with people commenting accusing them of being management. :/ I'm not picky, I don't care about peeling paint or dated cabinets. I DO care about bugs, safety, and heating/AC units not working well if at all.

I don't know anyone living in a complex in the area, and it'd be weird knocking on doors of current tenants or something.

edit: BBB maybe?

vvvv Not only is it a gated community, it's a very Hispanic-dominated area and I don't speak Spanish. I understand your point, I was just hoping for something a little more official than apartmentratings.com, and the BBB has very little info on anything in my area.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 28, 2011

revolther
May 27, 2008
That's not weird at all, it's called talking to other people and for thousands of years it was the only way humans communicated.

Smile, say hello, apologize for any interruption and explain you are thinking of moving into the complex, and you are looking to get the dirt on the complex.

4 doors in you'll find the old lady with the goods.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

marshmallard posted:

Yep. I'm on 501 positive and one negative. What a bitch :/

I believe your feedback percentage only takes into account transactions from the past year, so it will eventually reset.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a term in music production when they sing the last refrain/verse in a higher octave? I think I got all of the terms right, but for examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzrRAs8fdc#t=1m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nPf7w7pDI#t=3m10s

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

the posted:

Is there a term in music production when they sing the last refrain/verse in a higher octave? I think I got all of the terms right, but for examples:

It's called a transposition.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

the posted:

Modulation, not transposition, is the term. Or colloquially "key change". Octave is not the right term for the amount of modulation -- the first song modulates up one semitone, the second song goes up two semitones. Octave = 12 semitones.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

dokmo posted:

Modulation, not transposition, is the term. Or colloquially "key change". Octave is not the right term for the amount of modulation -- the first song modulates up one semitone, the second song goes up two semitones. Octave = 12 semitones.

That's pretty interesting.

Any idea on around when that started or became popular in music?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

dokmo posted:

I was debating which term to post, as I had learned both in college. I chose the wrong one. :shobon:

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

WillieWestwood posted:

I was debating which term to post, as I had learned both in college. I chose the wrong one. :shobon:

Here's another one, and a huge great slab of text to go with it: http://www.gearchange.org/muso_intro.asp

You can't have a swan song in a broadway musical without the truck-driver's gear change (ala I Dreamed a Dream, Don't Cry Out Loud etc)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

the posted:

That's pretty interesting.

Any idea on around when that started or became popular in music?

I don't know too much about the history of music. Key changes are very common in modern western popular music, I have to assume popular music in the past has used it as well. I can easily imagine opera's using key changes. The purpose of the key changes is to 1) signal a section break or change in the song, and 2) to provide a "lift" in energy. This seems ideally suited to the dramatic purposes of say opera, I'd be surprised if composers didn't explore the dramatic possiblities. Here is an article about key changes in modern popular music, written for musicians but not requiring any kind of theory background.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

dokmo posted:

I don't know too much about the history of music. Key changes are very common in modern western popular music, I have to assume popular music in the past has used it as well. I can easily imagine opera's using key changes. The purpose of the key changes is to 1) signal a section break or change in the song, and 2) to provide a "lift" in energy. This seems ideally suited to the dramatic purposes of say opera, I'd be surprised if composers didn't explore the dramatic possiblities. Here is an article about key changes in modern popular music, written for musicians but not requiring any kind of theory background.

Abrupt, obvious key changes are not remotely common in opera, though, they're really far more of a broadway/pop music thing. They're kind of tacky, like saying "THIS IS DRAMATIC, GET IT, HERE COMES THE DRAMA!!!"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Can someone please tell me who the woman in this picture with Bob Dylan is?

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Tax question. I'm not from the U.S. so I don't really understand this. On my paycheck, it says:

Taxable Marital Status: Single
Exemptions/Allowances:
Federal: 1
State: 1

I've been told that either a 1 or a 0 will get me to pay less taxes now. Is that true? Because that'd be awesome.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Rekkit posted:

Tax question. I'm not from the U.S. so I don't really understand this. On my paycheck, it says:

Exemptions/Allowances:

I've been told that either a 1 or a 0 will get me to pay less taxes now. Is that true? Because that'd be awesome.

I think 1 means the government takes less taxes from your paycheck but you may owe taxes at the end of the year. Claiming 0 means the government takes more taxes and will generally result in a refund at the end of the year.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rekkit posted:

Exemptions/Allowances:

It's the 1, which is automatic if you can't be a dependent on someone else's tax return, so you pay less taxes or even get a refund.

If you're a dependent on your father's return, say, you don't get an exemption (so it would be 0 in this case, and you'd pay the full tax, whatever that may be), but your father gets a second exemption - one for himself, one for you.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

So since I have 1's I'm already paying as little as I can? Well that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Rekkit posted:

So since I have 1's I'm already paying as little as I can? Well that's good.

If you filled out your W4 correctly and it came out to be 1 then yes.

Basically you get a $3650 deduction yearly for each dependent (1=just you) and throughout the year they adjust your tax withholding to make it to where you don't end up owing money at the end of the year. Most of the time you'll get a little bit of it back in a refund.

Some people claim "0" and use the IRS as their savings account and others claim "10" because they have a lot of write-offs and/or would rather only pay the IRS what they absolutely must in one lump sum.