Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Casao posted:

If you check the VERY top, you'll see a green bar - it extends all the way across when it's at 100%, and slowly drops as it goes down. It's incredibly easy to tell battery life at a glance.
Okay, that is pretty nice. Not as much for the thin battery line as for the precious space it reclaims in the notification bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Can anyone recommend me a rom for a Desire, My radio version is 5.11.05.27 and I'd rather have to not change it manually as I don't exactly know what I'm doing and would like to avoid creating an htc brick. Ideally I would like something as simple as possible, I'm not overly fussed about sense. I was looking at opendesire but it seems that its somewhat out dated now. Im currently using Leedroid, its not that bad it's just I dont know what half the features are for and I have no idea if its overclocking my phone or not and I would generally prefer if it didn't since I think the whole overclocking thing is somewhat pointless as I've never had any speed or lag issues with my phone before.

Also am I right in thinking that if I backup a rom through rom manager and with clockwork recovery mod installed that is a Nandroid backup? I still have s on and I dont know if that prevents a nadroid backup or what.

I hate having to ask this stuff but I have trawled the xda forums extensively and what I've been able to make sense of has been mostly unhelpful.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

Can anyone recommend me a rom for a Desire, My radio version is 5.11.05.27 and I'd rather have to not change it manually as I don't exactly know what I'm doing and would like to avoid creating an htc brick. Ideally I would like something as simple as possible, I'm not overly fussed about sense. I was looking at opendesire but it seems that its somewhat out dated now. Im currently using Leedroid, its not that bad it's just I dont know what half the features are for and I have no idea if its overclocking my phone or not and I would generally prefer if it didn't since I think the whole overclocking thing is somewhat pointless as I've never had any speed or lag issues with my phone before.

Also am I right in thinking that if I backup a rom through rom manager and with clockwork recovery mod installed that is a Nandroid backup? I still have s on and I dont know if that prevents a nadroid backup or what.

I hate having to ask this stuff but I have trawled the xda forums extensively and what I've been able to make sense of has been mostly unhelpful.

MIUI, and updating a radio is generally as simple as flashing an update.zip.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Casao posted:

Babby’s First MIUI

MIUI is a ROM developed by the MIUI team. No, we don’t know what it means. It’s just loving fancy.

I started using MIUI after CM7 nightlies started to completely freeze my device, requiring a forced restart, which also broke my alarm clocks. (Somehow it would even freeze on booting)

MIUI is pretty amazing. I am shocked at how much creative work they have invested into the ROM. I've been tinkering with it a lot and pretty happy with their fantastic work. I really do love the themes, I installed one (all are Chinese characters, so no idea what it is called) and it just makes the phone look beautiful.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
It's worth mentioning that for some reason, since the CM7 nightly #12, the battery life on my Incredible has gotten noticeably better. I have no idea why, but it's nice.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

helsabot posted:

Question semi-related to this - what are the radios part of, if anything? If I flash CM, does that affect the radios at all, or are they completely separate?

This got missed, from the last page, but i'm thinking the radio is separate, right?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

helsabot posted:

This got missed, from the last page, but i'm thinking the radio is separate, right?

That's my understanding. With my T-Mobile G2, and I think all smartphones, the 'radio' is actually a separate processor core - an ARM7 in this case - running a separate closed-source real-time operating system which handles the low-level details of talking GSM/CDMA and presenting a modem-link syntax over a serial link or whatever to the CPU running Android.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
What am not doing right on my friend's epic during the root process?

I understand I need to be on DK28 having pushed two very specific files to the phone before jumping to CM 3.0.x or whatever...

Problem I am having is it takes the root, takes the updated clockwork, says it sucessfully converted the phone to ext4... Then will not boot past the samsung screen at all.

Do I need to drop a custom rom as soon as I go ext4? Am I just a clossal gently caress up and unlucky?

damug
Jun 21, 2004
Have they gotten the 4g service on an Evo to work with different ROMs yet?

I want to make the switch and root my phone, but I don't really want to give up my precious 4g.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

damug posted:

Have they gotten the 4g service on an Evo to work with different ROMs yet?

I want to make the switch and root my phone, but I don't really want to give up my precious 4g.

4G works fine in Sense-based ROMs, like Fresh (what I'm currently using). It's really only an issue in AOSP-based ROMs, like CyanogenMod, and even then they've gotten it working pretty well now, but I think you have to install a special build and not just the regular releases.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

LastInLine posted:

There aren't a lot of 2.2-based [Captivate] ROMs because there isn't an official 2.2 release from which to derive one.

What the hell are you talking about? There's a loving ton of 2.2 ROMs for the Captivate. In fact, I don't think there's anything but 2.2 and 2.2.1 based ROMs available right now. There's 2.2 on the Rogers Captivate and the Armani Captivate and also they've been ported from the i9000 and Vibrant. There's a gigantic 2.2 dev community for the Captivate.

And as for recommendations, I'm running the ROM Kitchen XWJS3 with JK4 modem and Glitterballs OC/UV kernel. Quad of 1950, Linpack of 17.1. Battery lasts all day, and it's got a nice interface that isn't an eye-sore like the Phoenix and Andromeda BLOOD RED colors.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Does anyone know if wireless tethering works on the latest CM7? Or can I use the USB plug to share an internet connection?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Just an FYI, the OP for this thread has been banned.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

4G works fine in Sense-based ROMs, like Fresh (what I'm currently using). It's really only an issue in AOSP-based ROMs, like CyanogenMod, and even then they've gotten it working pretty well now, but I think you have to install a special build and not just the regular releases.

Here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

Alpha 3 hot off the press, connects in 15 seconds now. Flash the ROM then the kernel, and make sure the kernel flashes, you may need to disable signature checking in Amon Ra. Make sure you backup with Amon Ra 2.0+ or risk losing your WiMAX keys (you will never connect to 4G without this. Basically read the OP and check your keys.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
One thing I keep noticing is that all of these Captivate roms seem to be talking about the 19000 version in particular, which I believe is the international version.
Will it matter if I install these on my AT&T captivate at all?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The only thing really stopping me from trying MIUI out now that I can is that it's based off 2.2. Then again, the only things I'll really miss from 2.3 are the nice battery use screen and the good keyboard.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Is there any way to dual-boot ROMs? Specifically, on a Captivate. I mean, I could nandroid and poo poo, but :effort:, especially because:

ZShakespeare posted:

With Galaxy S phones you must first flash your original rom with odin, then restore the nandroid. Galaxy S nandroids do not touch the Kernel and some other lower level stuff like they do on other phones. You will want to make sure you can obtain a vanilla odin rom for your phone before you muck around with others.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I liked MIUI, but between the default launcher not supporting landscape, and no support for the Desire Z shortcut buttons I don't see a lot of point in using it over CM because I use both of those quite frequently. To be fair it's not an officially supported phone, and I can see how it would be very attractive on a slate device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Okay, that is pretty nice. Not as much for the thin battery line as for the precious space it reclaims in the notification bar.
The battery bar is the one thing that really has me interested in MIUI but when it comes to freeing space the big thing for me is getting rid of the clock.

Casao, can MIUI take the clock out of the notification bar and can I see the signal strength in digits instead of bars? I'd love to just have "-97" in the right corner of my notification bar.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Casao posted:

If you check the VERY top, you'll see a green bar - it extends all the way across when it's at 100%, and slowly drops as it goes down. It's incredibly easy to tell battery life at a glance.
How did you achieve this? I tried installing a theme and my phone started to bootloop. Don't dare touch a theme until I figure how to not break the phone 10 minutes into using MIUI.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Oh, another quick question:
my AT&T captivate came with Swype and I really dig it, but I noticed some roms saying they have X different keyboards, with no mention of swype.
Will I lose it if I flash to these roms? Would I then have to sign up for the beta version?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

ilifin posted:

How did you achieve this? I tried installing a theme and my phone started to bootloop. Don't dare touch a theme until I figure how to not break the phone 10 minutes into using MIUI.

Settings->System->Battery settings->Battery indicator style->Top-bar

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Does miui come with a2sd? I't looks amazing but if theres no a2sd I cant use it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Solly posted:

Does miui come with a2sd? I't looks amazing but if theres no a2sd I cant use it.

It does, not that it's too hard to add on if a rom doesn't.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone able to recommend a rom for an Epic 4G?

I'm considering flashing this thing out of sheer desperation - Froyo is required on more and more apps while the possibility of this thing being updated "legitimately" is getting slimmer by the hour. So, the only viable option to make use of this phone will be to flash a rom with a version of the OS that isn't old, decrepit, and quickly becoming obsolete.

I tried DK28 and while I didn't notice any problems, I did return it to the DI18 stock. So yes, I know how to use Odin.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Can I murder the MIUI music app with something? Like, remove it? Make it stop being there? It is the most obnoxiously bad thing I have ever used. I want my PowerAMP yet the Music app takes control of every remote button I try to press :argh:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Godzilla07 posted:

The only thing really stopping me from trying MIUI out now that I can is that it's based off 2.2. Then again, the only things I'll really miss from 2.3 are the nice battery use screen and the good keyboard.

Keyboard is backported.

ZShakespeare posted:

I liked MIUI, but between the default launcher not supporting landscape, and no support for the Desire Z shortcut buttons I don't see a lot of point in using it over CM because I use both of those quite frequently. To be fair it's not an officially supported phone, and I can see how it would be very attractive on a slate device.

You can use ADW instead if you need landscape. No idea about Desire Z shortcuts.

LastInLine posted:

The battery bar is the one thing that really has me interested in MIUI but when it comes to freeing space the big thing for me is getting rid of the clock.

Casao, can MIUI take the clock out of the notification bar and can I see the signal strength in digits instead of bars? I'd love to just have "-97" in the right corner of my notification bar.

No to both of these officially, though there might be modified files you could flash to remove them. I'm not sure.

ilifin posted:

Which part? I don't have that layout anymore, but it basically involved setting battery type to bar, then just using the theme manager to install the theme.

Theme formats changed since then, so older themes won't work. There's a built in theme downloader for MIUI-Dev now, which should let you download compatible themes, though it's not the best selection.

Solly posted:

It does, some people have specifically listed that it has an improved version of a2sd, but I have no idea what that means.

ilifin posted:

Can I murder the MIUI music app with something? Like, remove it? Make it stop being there? It is the most obnoxiously bad thing I have ever used. I want my PowerAMP yet the Music app takes control of every remote button I try to press :argh:

MIUI Music owns, sorry for your loss.

Settings > Programs > Default Program Settings > Preferred app

This will let you set remote control buttons. It's misnamed at the moment, gonna go note that to Mark right now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Okay, after seeing it mentioned over and over and over again... what is the difference between a2sd and the "move to SD card" option native to Android (Froyo?)?

I actually had not put anything on my SD card because I didn't really understand the process, then I saw one day in Titanium Backup that there was poo poo there anyway (I guess some apps will move to SD by default, without any user intervention) and so I started moving all kinds of poo poo over via the Applications menu (mostly stuff that I wouldn't miss if the sdcard were unavailable for any reason).

Does a2sd do something different?

Also, if I flash another ROM, what happens to the stuff I've moved to the sdcard?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

brc64 posted:

Okay, after seeing it mentioned over and over and over again... what is the difference between a2sd and the "move to SD card" option native to Android (Froyo?)?

I actually had not put anything on my SD card because I didn't really understand the process, then I saw one day in Titanium Backup that there was poo poo there anyway (I guess some apps will move to SD by default, without any user intervention) and so I started moving all kinds of poo poo over via the Applications menu (mostly stuff that I wouldn't miss if the sdcard were unavailable for any reason).

Does a2sd do something different?

Also, if I flash another ROM, what happens to the stuff I've moved to the sdcard?

A2SD is an unofficial thing. It requires you to make an ext3 partition on your SD card. It then uses Linux mounts to mount your /data partition (where apps are installed and data is stored) to this location. It means EVERYTHING is installed to the SD card, 100%.

Move to SD leaves some of it on the phone, and copies most of the app to the SD.

The original method is more complete, gives you more space. But the new one works well enough for me.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Casao posted:

Which part? I don't have that layout anymore, but it basically involved setting battery type to bar, then just using the theme manager to install the theme.

Theme formats changed since then, so older themes won't work. There's a built in theme downloader for MIUI-Dev now, which should let you download compatible themes, though it's not the best selection.

MIUI Music owns, sorry for your loss.

Settings > Programs > Default Program Settings > Preferred app

This will let you set remote control buttons. It's misnamed at the moment, gonna go note that to Mark right now.
Just themes in general, I want those square icons. I found a theme that had it, but applying the theme broke my phone. I downloaded it again after a restore and only applied the icons, success!

As for the music player; it doesn't play lossless. You know this drill; no programs will transcode lossless music to lossy music on the fly so I keep lossless music on the phone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ugh. I love CM7 (N1) but the phone/dialer lock up bug is just too much. Get a call? Make a call? Enjoy the black screen while the person on the other end waits 15 seconds to hear you. Yes, I understand it's an alpha but geez, you'd think such a horrific bug would get addressed.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Ugh. I love CM7 (N1) but the phone/dialer lock up bug is just too much. Get a call? Make a call? Enjoy the black screen while the person on the other end waits 15 seconds to hear you. Yes, I understand it's an alpha but geez, you'd think such a horrific bug would get addressed.

Does that happen with DialerOne for you? Ive got CM7#8 (G2) and I think it's only happened once for me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

deong posted:

Does that happen with DialerOne for you? Ive got CM7#8 (G2) and I think it's only happened once for me.

I don't think it would fix it. DialerOne is just a number dialing app. I don't think it handles the actual calls. The other point of my complaint is that I'd love to watch the development happen as each nightly rolls out but reading the XDA thread for it is like stabbing my brain with the broad side of an SGS. A nightly drops and it's 80 posts of "FLASHING NOW" or "WORKS FOR ME BUT NO ONE EVER CALLS ME".

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

does anyone know if this version of miui
http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?2721-MIUI-1.1.28-DESIRE-Deodexed-(Chinese)
works with the older language pack or should I just wait until the new language pack is released? I'm living in a phone limbo waiting till I can update everything to the way I want it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ilifin posted:

Just themes in general, I want those square icons. I found a theme that had it, but applying the theme broke my phone. I downloaded it again after a restore and only applied the icons, success!

As for the music player; it doesn't play lossless. You know this drill; no programs will transcode lossless music to lossy music on the fly so I keep lossless music on the phone.

There are a ton of Square icon packs, so yeah, take your pic - I like SWG, personally, but I've just decided to stick with the stock icons.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

MIUI. It's like Android Jesus personally touched me in my naughty places.

Solly posted:

does anyone know if this version of miui
http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?2721-MIUI-1.1.28-DESIRE-Deodexed-(Chinese)
works with the older language pack or should I just wait until the new language pack is released? I'm living in a phone limbo waiting till I can update everything to the way I want it.

Wait for new language pack. Always wait for new language pack. They'll be out in a few hours - they almost always are. If you ABSOLUTELY NEED IT NOW, install .26 and then you can just flash .28 and the .28 pack over it when it comes out, no wipe needed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

I'll admit that MIUI is really well put together but I really don't like any aspect of it other than the lock screen and battery meter options.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Casao posted:

Is there any way to get rid of the MIUI icons, at least for the non-MIUI apps? It puts stupid squareish surrounds around all the icons, which is one of the most obnoxious parts of iOS - it makes all the icons have the same silhouette which makes them a lot harder to visually distinguish at a quick glance. I've tried several themes but they just seem to change the overlay, not remove it entirely.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

..btt posted:

Is there any way to get rid of the MIUI icons, at least for the non-MIUI apps? It puts stupid squareish surrounds around all the icons, which is one of the most obnoxious parts of iOS - it makes all the icons have the same silhouette which makes them a lot harder to visually distinguish at a quick glance. I've tried several themes but they just seem to change the overlay, not remove it entirely.

I made an icon pack a long while back that does just this!
http://miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?219-ALL-MIUI-aosp-elements-redux

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Perfect, thank you

Edit: vvv Cheers, but think I'll stick with the theme, since it also replaces some of the MIUI standard icon set's generic blobs with the Android versions

..btt fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

..btt posted:

Perfect, thank you

There's also a phone code you can use to disable it - check my post history in this thread, I don't remember it off the top of my head but it lets you disable that and the bounce scrolling.