  • Post
Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Pope Guilty posted:

There's only one necessary kill in Deus Ex, and even that can be glitched around.

What is it?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sam. posted:

What is it?

Anna. The glitch is, hurt a UNATCO trooper near Anna until he's in panic mode, them let him run. He will open the door behind her.

Gunther is also a 'kill', but you don't have to actually fight him.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

It's not Anna, it's Howard Strong, and there is to my knowledge no way of avoiding his death.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I imagine on first playthrough, most players would generally prioritize fun and accomplishment from assuming a role (even if unaware of this) as the main character rather than adhering strictly to a pure methodology of play. If JC as they saw him generally tried to be stealthy, they would get over the rare seemingly mandatory kill and even moreso a non-lethal takedown -perhaps supposing there was an overlooked non-violent way if they gave it a second thought at all.
Most kills which seemed necessary were antagonists who perpetuated views (rather than underlings following orders) which a character playing a role adhering to non-violence would more likely see as a greater good to eliminate.

If JC didn't have his curt, dead-pan delivery and better expressed himself in options potentially expressing an iron intent to adhere to stealth, a player trying to fill that role might find seemingly unavoidable conflicts more disappointing in their experience of the game. That's the JC we could have had. What would the JC we did get think of that?
What a shame.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

stratdax posted:

That isn't what I said at all. Stealth is fine. I used it to avoid combat in a lot of places. But I'm saying that the game basically forced you into combat in some other places. I don't see how you could simply stealth your way through the entire end-game, for instance.

Sometimes you can replace stealth with Adidas-Fu. Hit the speed augs and maybe turn your skin into armor and get the gently caress out of dodge. If you can get to your goal quick enough you can avoid a lot of threats.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

newsomnuke posted:

It's not Anna, it's Howard Strong, and there is to my knowledge no way of avoiding his death.

Use a tranq dart to knock him out. In the storyline he probably dies as a missile passes by inches from his unconscious body, but gameplaywise he lives.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

newsomnuke posted:

It's not Anna, it's Howard Strong, and there is to my knowledge no way of avoiding his death.
Things could have turned out this way:

http://www.deusex-machina.com/articles/makingofdeusex.asp posted:

J.C. then could have fought through the Raiders to reach and kill Howard Strong, or, as wacky as this sounds, J.C. would have had to beat Howard Strong's killer spider bot in a battledome constructed for robot wars. This is where the spider bot actually came from.
Who run barter town?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gynovore posted:

Gunther is also a 'kill', but you don't have to actually fight him.

Gunther can be avoided.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
It's easy to forget how good the writing in this game is. A bunch of the dialogue is written and delivered near perfectly. Bob Page's speech at the very beginning is a GREAT set up for the rest of the game, very maniacal sounding, gives clues to his character, and is delivered PERFECTLY. You've all heard this so many times that you hear it in your dreams so I'll just quote the last line.

quote:

We've had to endure much, you and I, but soon there will be order again. A new age. Aquinas spoke of the mythical city on the hill, soon that city will be a reality and we will be crowned its kings. Or, better than kings... gods!

The first time I heard that I was like, "loving SWEET! Wait, this guy sounds familiar. Oh, hi Ozymandias." Granted, the villain who wants to destroy the world to save it is a pretty common trope but with Page and his speech, you really get a great taste of his vision and charisma along with his hubris.

JC, with his constantly dry tone, has some loving awesome lines as well.

quote:

Amazing when you think about it. All the hours I dreamed of working here. All the heroic fantasies when really this place is just a cinderblock bunker with a carpet.

Idealistic dreams smashed, war what's it good for? And then he gets this awesome gotcha:

quote:

I never had time to take the Oath of Service to the Coalition. How about this one? I swear not to rest until UNATCO is free of you and the other crooked bureaucrats who have perverted its mission.

Ice burn.

quote:

Is that God you're talking about? Or just a bunch of New Age crap?

Human beings may not be perfect, but a computer program with language synthesis is hardly the answer to the world's problems.

JC does not buy into your bullshit philosophy.

Gunther is so awesome you don't need me to tell you that he is. But here's a quote from him that made me sweat a bit the first time I played.

quote:

You are a small, prowling mouse... and dumb like a mouse! You keep coming, like you forget about Agent Navarre. I remember Agent Navarre. I remember for everyone.

Everrett doesn't get much screentime but he's one of the more tragic characters, in my opinion. He either really wanted to run the world to help others or was a really good liar. As per Greek tragedy, the higher you start the longer you have to fall. By the time of the game proper, he has been reduced to petty scheming. You also manage to ruin his life even more by murdering his mentor. A lot of his dialogue has a kind of melancholy but hopeful tone to it, like this.

quote:

Know what? Only that the long night is over. The crown of government is tarnished, but that will fade in time. The riots, a fever dream; the plague, a horrible nightmare; and like everything else that's happened such things will only be dimly remembered upon waking to their normal lives. In the end, all sins are forgiven. Even yours.

Finally, Morpheus. It is probably still my favorite character. I still squee (the sound a seven year old girl makes when she sees a pony) every time I get to his area.

quote:

Morpheus: "You are a planned organism, the offspring of knowledge and imagination rather than of individuals."
JC Denton: "I'm engineered. So what? My brother and I suspected as much while we were growing up."
Morpheus: "You are carefully watched by many people. The unplanned organism is a question asked by Nature and answered by death. You are another kind of question with another kind of answer."

Uh wow that was really pretty can you

quote:

Morpheus: "I am a prototype for a much larger system. The heuristics language developed by Dr. Everett allows me to convey the highest and most succinct tier of any pyramidal construct of knowledge."

Ok. Wait, what? This thing has too big a vocabulary.

Finally, what it probably my favorite line in the game.

quote:

You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.

SOMEONE has been reading too much Voltaire.

Want to know where Nethack will be by the 2050s?

quote:

"From: AGrossman//UnderNet.7823.37.908
To: WGibson//VersaLife.980.73.01
Subject: Finally Beat It

I managed to nail Nethack v54.3.1 just a few minutes ago. Made it past the Astral Plane, and _then_ back in time to work through all of history up to Nethack v3.2.3 (this, of course, has been in every version since 48.2), but after that the game jumped a thousand years into the future and I had to build an entire interstellar trading alliance (with only the Amulet of Yendor) before the aliens from the other side of the black holes showed up...took me six months to solve that part of the game, and then I finally won.

rear end in a top hat. I can barely make it to the castle.

On that note, the year 2050 is going to be super depressing. That date more than anything signifies The Future to me. By when we will SURELY be living in the Blade Runnerverse or a William Gibson novel with cyberdecks and poo poo. It's going to turn out like 2010 did/2020 will for the generation before me. No towering archologies, no virtual reality matrix. There will be somewhat better computers, more pollution, and jet packs will still be lovely and only last a few minutes on a tank of fuel. The future isn't what it used to be.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

After the shootout at Paul's apartment, I made a huge mistake. Apparently exiting through the window instead of the front of the 'Ton results in Paul dying later on. Come ooon, Eidos. :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nathilus posted:

There will be somewhat better computers, more pollution, and jet packs will still be lovely and only last a few minutes on a tank of fuel.

And also governments will either be completely useless and run by multinationals or globalisation as we know it will have broken down (or someone will have curbed the current system's degeneration and we can enjoy what we were supposed to get in the 80s but no, that's not really likely).

We might have quantum computing by then though, so it'll be a bit more than "somewhat better."

chitinid posted:

After the shootout at Paul's apartment, I made a huge mistake. Apparently exiting through the window instead of the front of the 'Ton results in Paul dying later on. Come ooon, Eidos. :smith:

Did you run like a coward or did you fight the attackers then leave? If the latter it's a bug that's fixed in Shifter/Biomod and why aren't you playing with Biomod?

Also,you can kill yourself and it counts as a capture and Paul lives.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

newsomnuke posted:

It's not Anna, it's Howard Strong, and there is to my knowledge no way of avoiding his death.

How can you avoid killing Anna without using a glitch?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
EDIT: ^ I think I misread the intent of your post, but I'll leave this up anyway.

You can't. It's the only required kill in the game because the door won't open unless you kill her (or glitch it to get a guard to open it). Also you can noclip through the wall. That'll work too. Killing her also gives you the added benefit of 200 skill points regardless of when you do it, so long as you do. Either way, the game marks her as dead and Gunther gets all weepy eyed.

The proper way to play is to do every option to see what will happen.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Nathilus posted:

It's easy to forget how good the writing in this game is. A bunch of the dialogue is written and delivered near perfectly.
Yeah, I always thought that the main characters were for the most part pretty well acted. Simons could sound pretty spiteful when he wanted to.

quote:

On that note, the year 2050 is going to be super depressing. That date more than anything signifies The Future to me. By when we will SURELY be living in the Blade Runnerverse or a William Gibson novel with cyberdecks and poo poo.
At least in Blade Runner people could live off-world on nice pristine planets :smith:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Oh come on, you're really going to trust something a blimp tells you?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

chitinid posted:

After the shootout at Paul's apartment, I made a huge mistake. Apparently exiting through the window instead of the front of the 'Ton results in Paul dying later on. Come ooon, Eidos. :smith:

Eidos is just the publisher, they didn't design anything.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh come on, you're really going to trust something a blimp tells you?

Of course? TV doesn't lie and neither do blimps.

Speaking of futuristic technology, Deus Ex was recent enough to do it right. Even Gibson is getting dated in this regard and he's the guy that really nailed the idea that information technology was going to be the next big thing. What do we see as the advanced technologies in Deus Ex? Information systems, biochemical, genetic, and molecular engineering. Which are some of the leading edges of science right now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nathilus posted:

It's easy to forget how good the writing in this game is. A bunch of the dialogue is written and delivered near perfectly. Bob Page's speech at the very beginning is a GREAT set up for the rest of the game, very maniacal sounding, gives clues to his character, and is delivered PERFECTLY.

I don't think this scene should've been the very first in the game. Before you even see JC, you already know who the bad guys are, giving you no sense of surprise when you find out about Unatco's true intentions. Perhaps redo it a bit and have it take place during JC's escape?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I thought it was great as an intro. It tells you what's going on without really spoiling anything, and gives you a bunch of clues about stuff that pops up later in the game:

Simmons posted:

Mmm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The others may not go as quietly as you think -- intelligence indicates they're behind the problems in Paris

Then when you get to the MJ13 facility under Versalife and you see the statue you realize that poo poo just got real. You're in the belly of the beast, and for the first time you have the augs to really own face.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

chitinid posted:

After the shootout at Paul's apartment, I made a huge mistake. Apparently exiting through the window instead of the front of the 'Ton results in Paul dying later on. Come ooon, Eidos. :smith:

Always kill everyone in the 'Ton, then jump out the window.

There are only two viable JC Denton ways to deal with the MIB's outside the front door:
1. LAM that poo poo up

2. Give me the GEP Gun, Paul.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Always kill everyone in the 'Ton, then jump out the window.

There are only two viable JC Denton ways to deal with the MIB's outside the front door:
1. LAM that poo poo up

2. Give me the GEP Gun, Paul.

Nope. I know Shifter fixed it, but in Vanilla no matter how many people you kill, Paul dies if you leave through the window.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That's not possible. I always leave through the window, and I always kill everyone in the 'Ton, and Paul always lives.

I haven't had a game where Paul died in 5 years.

Jumping out the window is the best option, because it's the most cinematic. It feels like you're on the run and going through back-alleys.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The script in game is just set to see if you go out the window. Nothing else.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh come on, you're really going to trust something a blimp tells you?
Why wouldn't you trust something a blimp tells you?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Momomo posted:

I don't think this scene should've been the very first in the game. Before you even see JC, you already know who the bad guys are, giving you no sense of surprise when you find out about Unatco's true intentions. Perhaps redo it a bit and have it take place during JC's escape?

They're a little cryptic, and a lot of it really only makes sense once you've played the game. I think style bookends the game nicely if you look at the style of the endings, and at the beginning it's one of the only clues you have that the plot encompasses more than just UNATCO sending JC on missions. I tried to play the game like 3 or 4 times over the years, and never finished it until just a few weeks ago. On most playthroughs I only made it as far as Hell's Kitchen which is before a lot of real crazy poo poo goes down.

If the game didn't include the intro then a lot of players might stop playing before getting past what is essentially the prologue. The first few missions of Deus Ex before the main plot really starts can be kind of a slog, and the intro was I think their attempt at remedying that.

Now that I've finished it I kind of like the slow way the story dropped hints over time, but I can't say I had a ton of fun at the time I was playing through those first few missions.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 29, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
No discussion of the Deus Ex intro is complete without this video.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And also governments will either be completely useless and run by multinationals or globalisation as we know it will have broken down (or someone will have curbed the current system's degeneration and we can enjoy what we were supposed to get in the 80s but no, that's not really likely).

We might have quantum computing by then though, so it'll be a bit more than "somewhat better."

Did you run like a coward or did you fight the attackers then leave? If the latter it's a bug that's fixed in Shifter/Biomod and why aren't you playing with Biomod?

Also,you can kill yourself and it counts as a capture and Paul lives.

I killed all of the attackers and then exited through the window. It was my first playthrough.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

When I played this game for the first time, my buddies in junior high thought it would be funny to spoil Paul's death for me. Joke was on them when I ended up massacring the attackers and saving his rear end.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've never actually let paul die. Similar thing happened to me as above. Got the game after a few mates had been telling me how great it was, then got to report what I'd pulled off a few days later. Good times.

Never ran away from Walter Simons in the submarine base either. He turns up in Area 51 if you do that doesn't he?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ben Soosneb posted:

I've never actually let paul die. Similar thing happened to me as above. Got the game after a few mates had been telling me how great it was, then got to report what I'd pulled off a few days later. Good times.

Never ran away from Walter Simons in the submarine base either. He turns up in Area 51 if you do that doesn't he?

Yes, and JC gives the best :iceburn: in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2XUR8V2VQ

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

KillHour posted:

Yes, and JC gives the best :iceburn: in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2XUR8V2VQ

What do you need to do to fight Simons at area 51? Do you just run by him on the sub base or something?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chitinid posted:

It was my first playthrough.

Why aren't you playing with Biomod installed?!

(Biomod makes the game better, get it.)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ben Soosneb posted:

I've never actually let paul die. Similar thing happened to me as above. Got the game after a few mates had been telling me how great it was, then got to report what I'd pulled off a few days later. Good times.

Never ran away from Walter Simons in the submarine base either. He turns up in Area 51 if you do that doesn't he?

wow I never knew this was even an option.

Also I know that in the PC Gamer review for this game they come right out and say that it's impossible to save Paul.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I was under the impression that there were infinite MJ12/MIB spawns in Paul's apartment, so you couldn't beat them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sam. posted:

I was under the impression that there were infinite MJ12/MIB spawns in Paul's apartment, so you couldn't beat them.

You can still leave through the front door or die trying, both of which mean Paul survives.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sam. posted:

I was under the impression that there were infinite MJ12/MIB spawns in Paul's apartment, so you couldn't beat them.

Not infinite, just a hell of a lot. The best way to beat them is to generously plant LAMs and teargas throughout the lobby and exit hall before entering Paul's apartment.

A more cheaty way to win is, just hide in the closet and let Paul do the fighting. He's hardcoded to be invincible.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sam. posted:

I was under the impression that there were infinite MJ12/MIB spawns in Paul's apartment, so you couldn't beat them.

There's the 3 MIBs who bust through the door, and if you defeat them you have to contend with a load of UNATCO troopers in the lobby including at least one sniper who can ruin your day easily.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why aren't you playing with Biomod installed?!

(Biomod makes the game better, get it.)

no don't

play it vanilla, then with Shifter, then with Biomod. Totally different experience every time, but each is for the better so you don't get spoiled by new/ improved features.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Shifter is included with Biomod, just sayin'. I'd say it's an overall improvement on Deus Ex gameplay. I feel good recommending it for a first timer, for what it's worth.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4