Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Yakuza 3 is apparently a cross between Final Fantasy and River City Ransom, wherein men with animal tattoos can light their shoulders on fire, teleport short distances (less than 3 feet), and headbutt each other through walls. Also sometimes they golf.

If this is the total sum of my Yakuza 3 knowledge, am I good to go?

You have infinite time. No matter how much the game tries to pressure you to do something RIGHT NOW you can dick around for as long as you please. As insane as that might be.

There is a NG+ and a Continue mode that let you faff about to your hearts content, going so far as to turn off the ridiculous random battles.

Learn block breakers. Level up the skills that give you more block breakers. If you don't fights are boring and slow as enemies just ignore all your damage and interrupt you to lay on the pain.

Pawn Shops sell what most games would consider "armor/accessories." Don't worry about money until you regain access to the city you start the game in. There will open up a bounty-hunting service which pays fat cash.

Your daughter's love-o-meter is basically frilly nonsense as the gifts she gives you are garbage and having an E, D, or whatever rating doesn't change a drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Saint Freak posted:

Yakuza 3 is apparently a cross between Final Fantasy and River City Ransom, wherein men with animal tattoos can light their shoulders on fire, teleport short distances (less than 3 feet), and headbutt each other through walls. Also sometimes they golf.

If this is the total sum of my Yakuza 3 knowledge, am I good to go?

You can also pick up chicks in fast food restaurants for sidequests. Don't bother with their heart meter, it's a remnant of a cut feature. Similarly, jewelry does absolutely nothing. So always go Karaokeing on a date.

Also, there's 4 secret food items in restaurants. To unlock them, you need a "Tokyo Ishukan" magazine in your inventory. It's only useful if you want to complete the "dining" list.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I have been playing Final Fantasy VII of late. When is the best time to start doing sidequests? Are there any that can't be done after a certain point? Are there any that are best done after a certain point? I've just gotten to the part where Tifa is charge of the party--are there any that I'll miss if I don't do them now, rather than wait until that pre-Very Definitely Final Dungeon point that every Final Fantasy game has?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

Uhhh cover rules in GTA4 and entire missions are built around going from cover to cover.

The main problem with cover in the PC version, using keyboard and mouse, is that popping out of cover moves your aim. To pop out of cover, you have to shoot. Since you don't lock on using keyboard and mouse, you line up a good headshot, and click the shoot button, only to have your aim move and have your shot miss. It's the loving worst. And your aim moves differently depending on the type of cover you're behind so it's hard to get a feel on how you have to compensate before shooting.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Portfolio posted:

I have been playing Final Fantasy VII of late. When is the best time to start doing sidequests? Are there any that can't be done after a certain point? Are there any that are best done after a certain point? I've just gotten to the part where Tifa is charge of the party--are there any that I'll miss if I don't do them now, rather than wait until that pre-Very Definitely Final Dungeon point that every Final Fantasy game has?

I'm pretty sure that almost all side-quests can be done right at the end of the game. The only missable things that spring to mind are Barret and Cait Sith's ultimate weapons, both of which are picked up on your return to Midgar.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Any advice for Vanquish? I just picked it up from a fellow goon.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Party Boat posted:

I'm pretty sure that almost all side-quests can be done right at the end of the game. The only missable things that spring to mind are Barret and Cait Sith's ultimate weapons, both of which are picked up on your return to Midgar.

Ditto for Aeris' ultimate weapon/final limit. You might still be able to get them, but you're way past the point where they can be useful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mr E posted:

Just got GTA IV complete edition for cheap, anything I should know about it? I know that the pigeons are pretty much worthless to shoot.
Go drinking with Dwanye the man deserves it. :3:

Gay Tony:
Yussef Amir is the best.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm playing Episodes From Liberty City before GTA4 because I bought it before the steam christmas sale, when it was in the rockstar sale for $7.50. It's making me wish I waited until christmas and got it and GTA4 for $10.

I'm mostly just wondering how much content is in here, I'm not really sure where to set my expectations, since these were both DLC. I'm 7 or 8 missions into The Lost and the Damned, I just did the political assassination one (wow, what an opening cutscene that one had). Is it going to end soon or is there still a lot of content left? Is the city eventually going to populate with more stuff to do, or not because this is just DLC?

Also, how do I make money?

edit: Basically I'm asking if Episodes is played solely for the missions and if I wont miss anything noteworthy if I just blitz through all the missions.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 24, 2011

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

TheTofuShop posted:

First of all, don't skip the tutorial. There are many ways to trigger bullet time; the one you should be using most of the time is roll+aim. If there's a handrail in the way, use the heavy machine gun's melee and aim in mid-air.
If you use grenades while sliding, you will drop them rather than throw them.
Melee is extremely powerful, but it will overheat the suit.
When using the assault rifle's melee attack, mash circle as fast as you can.
The LFE gun can shoot through walls and stun the bigger enemies.
If you pick up a gun you already have and if the ammo for the weapon is maxed out, you will get a 1/4 upgrade. Also, for every ~40 enemies you kill, you'll get a full upgrade in the form of a big green chip. If you die, all weapons you have on you will lose one level, but this penalty is only applied once per mission.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

TheTofuShop posted:

First of all, it's fantastic and you should savor every moment of it.

Otherwise, keep in mind that you can slow down time at nearly any point, including when you're in mid-jump. Use this to your advantage and experiment a bit.

If you see a big robot with drill arms, for the love of god, don't shoot off its legs.

The $2 DLC pack of weapons is actually pretty awesome and worth the money.

If you tap the boost button while dodge rolling, you'll roll a bit faster and pick up some invincibility frames. This isn't important on the lower difficulties, but is absolutely essential for God Hard and the later challenges.

If you're playing the Xbox 360 version, I'd recommend NOT installing it to the hard drive. I had several areas or enemies fail to load up, and these errors didn't occur when I was playing from the disc.

If you see a big floating cross above a fallen ally, you can revive them and get some extra ammo or grenades.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Just a heads up: Obviously the thread contains more information than the Wiki does, so I've edited the front page of the wiki to contain the string you can use in Google to search through this thread:

http://anthonyhobday.com/misc/wsik/

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm playing Episodes From Liberty City before GTA4 because I bought it before the steam christmas sale, when it was in the rockstar sale for $7.50. It's making me wish I waited until christmas and got it and GTA4 for $10.

I'm mostly just wondering how much content is in here, I'm not really sure where to set my expectations, since these were both DLC. I'm 7 or 8 missions into The Lost and the Damned, I just did the political assassination one (wow, what an opening cutscene that one had). Is it going to end soon or is there still a lot of content left? Is the city eventually going to populate with more stuff to do, or not because this is just DLC?

Also, how do I make money?

edit: Basically I'm asking if Episodes is played solely for the missions and if I wont miss anything noteworthy if I just blitz through all the missions.
Both are about 20mission storywise; gay tony adds replay but tying to 100% missions (tedious in some honestly, but it has some great missions and being able to replay at will rocks)
You unlock turf wars/drug wars in the respective storyline's and 2-3 other things, but GTA4 didn't have a lot of minigames to start with. The game is a lot more focused around story as opposed to the GTA3 era.
Vanilla GTA4 did have more of them though with assassination missions, vigilante, criminal chasing, etc.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
A big hint for Napoleon: Total War is to constantly build militia. Put them in cities you just conquered to free up your main armies. They get a big bonus to suppression, so it's also a lot cheeper. Plus, in the really big cities you need militia to avoid rebelion. Your fully-stacked napoleon deathball does not generate enough suppression to shut up the discontent.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

I, uh, prefer the cutscenes from MGS, but I dig the voice acting from MGS Twin Snakes.

You *dig* the voice-acting from Twin snakes? That one boggles my mind. Its essentially the same script but you can tell the actors arn't having as much fun with it. Y'know, like how if you compare a recent Simpsons episode with one from the glory years of 10 seasons ago you can hear in the actors voices how flat and un-enthusiastic they are.

It killed a lot of Twin Snakes for me. The classic delivery of lines like "...A Hind D". or "Metal GEAR" are lost in the remake.

I don't know why they didn't use the original audio files because it was a fuckton more polished than the tripe of the remake.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They had to record new dialogue for some new content and control prompts so they probably just decided to do the whole drat thing.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

They had to record new dialogue for some new content and control prompts so they probably just decided to do the whole drat thing.

Really? After I posted my opinions I had a brief memory flash that suggested I'd read somewhere they wanted to use the old audio files but they had deleted them/lost them in a fire/somesuch bullshit. Which is a crying shame.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The audio files weren't lost. They didn't go with them because the accents were really poorly done. They weren't even good bad movie accents, they were just poo poo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The audio files weren't lost. They didn't go with them because the accents were really poorly done. They weren't even good bad movie accents, they were just poo poo.

OH I CANT BELIEVE IM BEING HIT ON BY THE FAMOUS SORID SNAKE ^-^

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Ramagamma posted:

Really? After I posted my opinions I had a brief memory flash that suggested I'd read somewhere they wanted to use the old audio files but they had deleted them/lost them in a fire/somesuch bullshit. Which is a crying shame.

The audio from the original MGS was recorded in like some dudes van parked in his driveway. They were really low quality and had to be rerecorded because the sound processor on the Gamecube supported 16 bit 48 khz audio and the background noise from the non soundproofed original recordings were audible. You can't hear it in the original game because the PS1 used a much less powerful audio processor.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that makes more sense than them simply "being lost". Disagree about the accents being poo poo though. Far more character than in the original.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2011

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I picked up the DLC for Borderlands (except the arena). Is there a set level to attempt them, or do they scale to your level?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

I picked up the DLC for Borderlands (except the arena). Is there a set level to attempt them, or do they scale to your level?

It's pretty silly how they did it. The zombie island one does scale to your level, the armory of general thingy does not, you should be ~35 when you try it (or the level you end the OC with). I did the zombie one first, then the armory and quit because I was so overleveled (at 40) it was silly. I never got round to trying the Claptrap DLC I'm afraid, so I don't know if it scales.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Ramagamma posted:

Well, that makes more sense than them simply "being lost". Disagree about the accents being poo poo though. Far more character than in the original.

David Hayter actually asked for them to cut his salary for the re-recording so they could afford to bring back all the original actors. Which is pretty awesome of him.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ramagamma posted:

"Hello Snake, did you like my sun-glar-sis?!"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Which has heavy accents, Twin Snakes or the original? I never noticed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

Which has heavy accents, Twin Snakes or the original? I never noticed.

Orginal by far. Mei Ling is the most obvious, she had this really cheesey generic Asian accent that's almost non-existent in Twin Snakes.

Her actress was American so it's not like she just got better at English or anything.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Orginal by far. Mei Ling is the most obvious, she had this really cheesey generic Asian accent that's almost non-existent in Twin Snakes.

Her actress was American so it's not like she just got better at English or anything.

The only thing I didn't like about the TTS was whatever they did to Grey Fox's voice. It sounded less crazed and maniacal.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually they re-recorded the whole thing for digital surround sound. When the original PSX audio was converted it was horrible. It was apparently recorded in somebody's living room and you could hear traffic in the background if you listened.
I don't know why they dropped the accents though, at least Naomi's. Mei-Ling's accent made no sense at all.

So they had to re-record it regardless of prompts (otherwise you could just have Hayter voice over the control changes "So, if I press down+A I can use the codec!?") and the fact that they got the original cast to rerecord everything (except for Gray Fox who is voiced by someone different) is amazing. Rumor has it that hayter insisted on having them return, even if it meant a pay cut for him. (I have no idea if this is true)

I preferred the Twin Snakes more overall, as I loved the retardedness of MGS2 and TTS was so much more fun and seemed to fit better in the universe overall.

Why could they use the recordings from Twin Snakes in MGS4? But not the visuals for the flashbacks? I know it was a nintendo exclusive, but how were they able to secure the rights to the audio recordings?

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 28, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

(otherwise you could just have Hayter voice over the control changes "So, if I press down+A I can use the codec!?")

Well I didn't know about the other stuff and it makes sense, I don't think this is true. If Hayter re-recorded those lines only they'd stick out as sounding different, for a host of reasons ranging from audio quality to Hayter just not being in the same mindset (tone, pitch etc) as when he recorded the original 10 years before.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just bought J'Eanne D'Arc, what should I know about it?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well I didn't know about the other stuff and it makes sense, I don't think this is true. If Hayter re-recorded those lines only they'd stick out as sounding different, for a host of reasons ranging from audio quality to Hayter just not being in the same mindset (tone, pitch etc) as when he recorded the original 10 years before.

True, but it still would have been the cheapest way, if the original recordings were usable. It would have definitely sounded off though.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Any suggestions for Ogre Battle 64? I started playing a little while ago on VC and want to get everything I can out of it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the most powergamey solo class for Neverwinter Nights 2 OC?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the most powergamey solo class for Neverwinter Nights 2 OC?

Wizard, Cleric, or Druid to 20. Personally I recommend cleric because the campaign is very undead heavy and Cleric is versatile. If you like playing as a mage or a warrior, it can do either just as well.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
In anticipation of it's sequel I have decided to play through the original Dead Space. Anything I should know before starting? I'll be playing on PS3 if it makes a difference.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alris posted:

In anticipation of it's sequel I have decided to play through the original Dead Space. Anything I should know before starting? I'll be playing on PS3 if it makes a difference.

Always keep one extra power node on yourself at all times. In pretty much every chapter there will be 1 door that requires a node to open it. Doing so nets you rewards which far, far exceed what you put into the door.

The game spawns vastly more ammo for guns you carry than guns you don't. Therefore try and pick your favorite 2 guns to keep the ammo flowing.

Alternately, only use the starting gun. Its absurdly powerful for being the intro gun, it works in 90% of situations, and its ammo is plentiful and cheap unlike other guns.

When you upgrade a gun, blank nodes do nothing. Your goal should always be to keep the amount of empty nodes to the absolute minimum.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

When you upgrade a gun, blank nodes do nothing. Your goal should always be to keep the amount of empty nodes to the absolute minimum.

To add to this, there is no benefit for filling every single node on the gun (meaning all the blank nodes too). Once you get all the powerups you want, stop putting nodes on the gun, there's nothing more to gain.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Stomp every corpse you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Don't buy the flamethrower, it's awful.