Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!

Kerfuffle posted:

For Hank I can definitely understand the swiss mountain dog mix guess as well with the tricolor coat. Probably mixed with lab.

Gordie I'd guess some kind of hound (first photo) or terrier (second photo) mix but with what I have no idea. He somehow looks like a completely different between those two photos. :psyduck:

Thanks! The completely irrational part of me thinks Hank looks a little bit like a skinny mini Tibetan Mastiff, but again that's just crazy talking.

That's an interesting guess for Gordon. Pretty much every vet we've talked to said he's a GSD/lab mix, but I can see the hound comparison. He's too lazy and terrified of the world to have any terrier in him haha. Does this other picture help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
Hey guys here's a bit of a reverse. I just spotted what looks like a full-fledged Harrier in the rescue kennels today. I'll update with pics and measurements, but I'm so curious if this dog is in fact a Harrier, as opposed to some beagley mix.

Macy was found by a volunteer on the highway, she was a bag of bones that jumped right into the car. Possibly a runaway or 'failed' hunting dog. All I know is, if I was short a pet right now, she'd be right with me learning to rabbit.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

New adoption puppy :3: This is Ephy, our amazing, smart, perfect mutt.

She's got soft soft ears and very concerned wrinkles all the time, and is a nice healthy 88 lbs at 18 months. The vet says she is likely to keep filling out as we work her and build some muscle.

We see Rhodesian Ridgeback immediately, but she doesn't have the ridge... Everyone else has been speculating things like GSD or Rottweiler or even a mastiff, but honestly after doing some detecting, I think she's part Shepherd, maybe Anatolan or Belgian? She's a huge girl, very smart, independent but loving. She's a bit undersocialized so we're trying to find other people with dogs who will help with introductions.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Wow, what a beauty, I definitely see female Rhodesian in that face, and her eyes, and a lot of Rhodesians are actually born ridgeless; my in-laws have two without ridges, from rescue. She's got a refined, feminine muzzle that is characteristic of RR bitches, even though she's heavier in the body, and her eyes are amber, another breed trait. I'd probably go with GSD or GSD mix as the other half; RRs can have some white on them, but the coat looks heavier and GSD like.

Either way, gorgeous girl, congrats on your adoption! :3:

ETA: Whoa 88lbs? gently caress, maybe Anatolian/Ridge is a better option.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

Wow, what a beauty, I definitely see female Rhodesian in that face, and her eyes, and a lot of Rhodesians are actually born ridgeless; my in-laws have two without ridges, from rescue. She's got a refined, feminine muzzle that is characteristic of RR bitches, even though she's heavier in the body, and her eyes are amber, another breed trait. I'd probably go with GSD or GSD mix as the other half; RRs can have some white on them, but the coat looks heavier and GSD like.

Either way, gorgeous girl, congrats on your adoption! :3:

ETA: Whoa 88lbs? gently caress, maybe Anatolian/Ridge is a better option.
Haha yeah she's huge! It's hard to capture with my crappy camera but her back hair is coarser and multicolored red/white/black and she's got a black tipped tail. Her paws are absolutely gigantic. :3:

It's been 6 days. She already knows the kitchen, garage, and walkin closet are off limits and will stop at the door and lie down. She was barely willing to sit with a treat in her face before. She will already sit and stay and wait for us to invite her through doors. She picked up "down" in about four tries. The first walk left me with an aching shoulder from how hard she pulled. We got a properly sized prong collar and she's already starting to walk nicely at our side, although still wants to pull. She's bounced from house to house because nobody could handle her. Honestly though, she isn't all THAT high energy... after 1.5 years being crated and barely walked she is exhausted after 15 minutes of rough housing and tearing around the yard.

When she's all conditioned and muscly she's going to be amazing!

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii

BOrangeFury posted:

Hey guys here's a bit of a reverse. I just spotted what looks like a full-fledged Harrier in the rescue kennels today. I'll update with pics and measurements, but I'm so curious if this dog is in fact a Harrier, as opposed to some beagley mix.

Macy was found by a volunteer on the highway, she was a bag of bones that jumped right into the car. Possibly a runaway or 'failed' hunting dog. All I know is, if I was short a pet right now, she'd be right with me learning to rabbit.

I had something like that happen at a shelter I was working at. We had a beautiful brindled hound come through. I was looking at dog pictures trying to figure out what type of hound she was most likely mixed with, and realized that if she wasn't a Plott Hound, she was damned close.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So what kind of stuff went into my mutt? Darla is around 8 months old, about 11 inches tall at the shoulder, and about 20 inches from nose to the base of the tail. She initially weighed a bit under 9 pounds (when she first came to us (stray) at the begining of this January, and in the past month she's up to 9.5 pounds with plentiful food and exercise, so I think this is probably her full grown size.

All these pics were taken shortly after she came to us and we'd had her groomed, they basically clipped her way down because her coat was all matted. Her normal outer coat is very long, straight, and smooth but not stiff, a lot like a Yorkshire or Silky Terrier. Color is black with a definite blue tint, with a white flash on her chest and with some white hairs mixed in on the legs. She has a double coat though, the undercoat is very cottony and has a texture a lot like rabbit fur. I do not know if she is going to blow her coat seasonally (hoping she doesn't). Her ears are shaped a lot like a Yorkshire Terrier's ears are, but they don't have much cartilage in them and never stand up on their own, and the flesh of the ear flap is very thin. Her head is narrow, with a long snout; if she had very short hair it'd be shaped a lot like a Dachshund's head. Her tail is about 8 inches, with a great crescent curl to it when she's excited, but with no corkscrew shape.

While I know she's not a Norfolk Terrier (I'm sure she's some kind of mutt) she has basically all the physical and mental characteristics of one except for coat color.

She is super energetic and excitable at playtime, but really easy-going and amazingly well-adjusted for a stray - we also have a 13 year old Miniature Schnauzer, and Darla is generally very calm around the Schnauzer; she's a bit jealous when only the Schnauzer is petted and shows some jealousy but otherwise is never aggressive with her. When she first joined us she tended to tear up fluffy toys and rip out their stuffing, which didn't really alarm me, but she seems to have pretty much grown out of that and just chews on things without destroying them - I work from home and can give her all the attention she can stand, which is a lot though.

Furious digger, likes to eat junk that she digs up (roots, sometimes a little tasty dirt), loud barker (very loud!) with a pretty rich tone to the bark, and some obvious guard dog behavior bred in. Very brave, very charming, very bright, very hyper without being at all aggressive. She's been to the vet and has no obvious defects (no sign of luxated patellae, hips are good, healthy breathing etc) and doesn't have any weird compulsive behaviors, just the digging and barking that I think are pretty normal for lots of dogs.

More pics:
HI I'M CUTE AND WILL NEVER TEAR UP ANYTHING I PROMISE

When she isn't looking up at me radiating cuteness she is often doing this:

Her tail loving rules:

Keep in mind these pics don't show her full coat, which is long and silky the way the tail and ears are, and also she's filled out a bit in the belly and chest. Thanks :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oops, please note the choke chain collar was all I had for the first couple of days and I bought a small harness for walkies as soon as I could get to the pet store. While she doesn't show any signs of collapsing trachea I'm already well aware choke chains are pretty bad to use on any dog, especially small ones, it was just all I had to walk her with during the first couple of days.

Captain Foxy thinks she is mostly Lhasa Apso (maybe all); I tend to think she's some sort of terrier mix. More guesses welcome!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 31, 2011

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010
This is Dexter, my brother's dog.

The shelter had Dex listed as a GSD. When he was a puppy, he might have passed as one.

Now that he's two years old (and almost 65 pounds), it's pretty clear he's got something else mixed in there.

So he's a bit of a mystery. But I'm awfully fond of this mutt.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Cristatus posted:

Now that he's two years old (and almost 65 pounds), it's pretty clear he's got something else mixed in there.

So he's a bit of a mystery. But I'm awfully fond of this mutt.

He reminds me of a Dutch Shepherd -- the general shape of the face and the brindle. They're not terribly common, so the likelihood of one being mixed with your brother's mutt is slim, but... (I'd say the other half/three quarters/whatever are American Browndog.)

They're drat fine lookin' dawgs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

So what kind of stuff went into my mutt?

Update: she has herding behavior IN SPADES.

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010

a life less posted:

I've never heard of Dutch Shepherds before -- that is an unbelievably handsome breed.

The brindle's always been what's thrown me about Dex. I've had people suggest he's part pit or greyhound because of it. I figure that American Browndog is a good enough description, though :)

LucasMedaffy
Oct 18, 2000

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LucasMedaffy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 8, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He's a handsome little booger, is that his regular coat?

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay

LucasMedaffy posted:

This is our puppy, Ben. He's a rescue (street) dog from India. They are somewhat of a breed ("Indian Pariah" or "Indian Desi") but basically a super mutt.

He's like a brindle beagle/whippet cross and he's wonderful, great temperament, ultra-social and cute.

That was him at 3ish months and he's now long, lean and a lot bigger - 35lbs on his way to (probably) 45lbs.

LOOKITTHATFACE!!

Cute mutt :) Be careful though, if you don't post more pictures he's going to explode. It's been scientifically proven.

Lady Arcadia
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't it wonderful...just like when you dream you are flying....

Flesh Forge posted:

So what kind of stuff went into my mutt? Darla is around 8 months old, about 11 inches tall at the shoulder, and about 20 inches from nose to the base of the tail. She initially weighed a bit under 9 pounds (when she first came to us (stray) at the begining of this January, and in the past month she's up to 9.5 pounds with plentiful food and exercise, so I think this is probably her full grown size.

I don't usually like smallish terrier dogs, but her eyes are the most puppy-doggish eyes ever, so cute :3:

LucasMedaffy
Oct 18, 2000

LucasMedaffy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 7, 2022

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Puppyyy. I'd guess a pitty or lab sighthound mix maybe?

LucasMedaffy
Oct 18, 2000

LucasMedaffy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 8, 2022

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Holy gently caress that is a cute puppy.

Schmoopie89
Jan 31, 2010
My German Shepherd mix, Piper, age 8, I think. She found my dad one day during a bad storm. He was coming home from work, opened his car door and this dog jut bolted into his car, shortly after we adopted her. (yes we looked for her owners, but she had no tags and was hurt and half starved when she found us.)

**Sorry I couldn't get the picture any larger.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Well, some places don't have shelters overflowing with dogs everywhere. If I was to adopt a rescue it would probably come from outside the country. (Still cheaper than buying a purebred dog though).

I'm not saying this because I'm doubting, I'm saying this from real curiosity; what areas don't have shelters full of dogs? And is it because they're euthanized immediately, or because they get adopted right away?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Mnemosyne posted:

what areas don't have shelters full of dogs?

I live in northern British Columbia, Canada. My local SPCA has 7 dogs on Petfinder. I think we have so few because the BC SPCA is good about shipping dogs south to the Lower Mainland where they have a better chance. I saw a dog a few months ago on Petfinder I was interested in, the next week she was in a rescue in Vancouver who had very stringent adoption policies. They didn't even answer my email.

Hydrogenated
Apr 9, 2010
Not the best picture but this is one of my mom and her boyfriends dog, Murphy last summer. I think he has some Rottweiler and maybe some newfie in him. Might have something else mixed in there as well. From what I understand a neighborhood dog got into the yard and got it on with the mother. I guess when he was born the owners thought he would have the shorter fur of the Rottweiler so they docked his tail.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It seems like maltese + anything makes for a pretty awesomely cute mutt:
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=maltese+mix

I understand the ethical problems with people doing this on purpose but - goddamn them's some cute puppies.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Flesh Forge posted:

It seems like maltese + anything makes for a pretty awesomely cute mutt:
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=maltese+mix

I understand the ethical problems with people doing this on purpose but - goddamn them's some cute puppies.

Maltese are cute on their own. Actually, they're cuter undiluted.

Kian
Dec 11, 2004
Right now, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
A little update/photo timeline of my almost 6 month old mongrel, 喜喜 aka xixi or double-happiness. Still not sure what blood she's got - guessing some GSD, rottweiler and pariah?

Day 1 she got to us scared shitless @ 8 weeks and Day 2 warming up

Day 2 as well and Day 3

Week ~10 and Week ~11

Week ~16 being a brat but afraid of heights and Week ~20 just chilling and watching the rain

And the most recent photo @ week ~23 around 45lbs. Going for walks on a daily basis, exploring lots and learning new smells. Still a big pussy who's scared of everything though. (I'm 6'1 for comparison sake)

Kian fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 8, 2011

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Serella posted:

Maltese are cute on their own. Actually, they're cuter undiluted.

No question there, but they do make for some pretty intensely cute mutts, that's all.

Influence Device
Jan 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jason was used as a breeder dog kept in a little cage forced to give birth to litter after litter of puppies until she was no longer profitable and abandoned at the humane society. She was incredibly fearful of people when we first got her and would often bite and snap at anyone if they approached her (especially men, she would become hysterical if she even heard a male voice, it took her years before she was comfortable around men). Now she is a wonderful and needy companion, every night she sleeps cuddling up me under the covers regardless of temperature and loves my father often approaching him to sit on his lap and watch tv.

The humane society claimed she's half Chihuahua half Pomeranian but she looks like a Papillon to me

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When I saw the mane she has I thought part-Pomeranian right away also. Papillon, maybe, but they tend to have a lot of very long hair on the ears (unless you trimmed that).

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Friends of mine found 6 puppies taped up in a box outside their neighborhood. They're currently trying to find homes for them. I'd take one in a heartbeat, but I'm not home enough to housebreak a puppy. :(

Anyway, here they are, hanging out in their...tent? Yeah. I asked about that. They said that's where they hang out when my friend's wife (stay-at-home mom) has outside time with their 2 year-old and their other 2 dogs. :raise: I hope that's true, and not where they're keeping them all the time.

This one is my favorite. :allears:

Lab mixes, maybe? I thought lab-boxer, or lab-pibble, but I googled those mixes and none of the dogs look quite like them. The black ones, maybe. It's that blonde and white that's throwing me off. Lab-beagle? I don't know. Any ideas?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
^^Puppies are near impossible to identify as breeds, just because they're all potato shaped and cute. I'd say lab/pibble (the blond and white coloration is classic pit) but since one litter can have multiple fathers, it'd be hard to identify the content of them all.

Influence Device posted:

The humane society claimed she's half Chihuahua half Pomeranian but she looks like a Papillon to me

Beautiful little girl. :3:

I see nothing but puppy mill-bred Longhair Chihuahua in that dog. People often say Chis are mixed with Pomeranians when they have longer hair because they don't realize that Chis can also be long haired, not just short coated like the Taco Bell dog :downs:.

A lot of Pom/Chi or Pap/Chi mixes in rescue are really just poorly bred long haired Chihuahuas. :eng101:

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

^^Puppies are near impossible to identify as breeds, just because they're all potato shaped and cute. I'd say lab/pibble (the blond and white coloration is classic pit) but since one litter can have multiple fathers, it'd be hard to identify the content of them all.

I actually did not know that one litter can have multiple fathers. The more you know. :eng101:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This is George:

This is George after leading me on a merry chase around the neighborhood, following a daring escape from the back yard:

sheids
Jul 1, 2007
I could catch a monkey...
This is Maggie. We got her at the SPCA about 12 years ago. She was marked as a Cocker Spaniel x Poodle cross. Which is not really that accurate, I think. She points, loves to chase birds, is very friendly, and is thin (about 24 pounds), she also has a very defined torso kinda like the shape of a greyhound in profile.
We really have no clue what she has in her. I think maybe they got the poodle part right, but other than that...

Size comparison: I'm about 5'8"

When her fur gets really long:

In short, she kicks rear end.

sheids fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 10, 2011

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jack the mutt

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

echomadman posted:

Jack the mutt

Sorry duder I can't hear your post over that LOUD rear end CARPET

cute fuckin dog though :3:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

my dog boyfriend!!! posted:

Sorry duder I can't hear your post over that LOUD rear end CARPET

cute fuckin dog though :3:

yeah this house was decorated in the 60's when everyone was on acid

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

He may well be a purebred, there are lots of breeds of tan wirehaired terrier things out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

sheids posted:

This is Maggie.

Just wanted to say, very classy pic :)

GIVE ME THE MAYONAISE OR YOUR SOUL WILL BURN