Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dominus Caedis posted:

Clan Smoke Jaguar

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

He wrote this book? This is the 'better' Battletech authour? It gets worse? Oh god.

it gets much much worse.

I've read quite a few of the books, and the best ones are either the clan war or the succession wars politicing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Axe-man posted:

it gets much much worse.

I've read quite a few of the books, and the best ones are either the clan war or the succession wars politicing.

Our Hero punches out a woman then later scolds her while her jaw's wired shut about how she's the one she should be mad with about the aforementioned Hero killing fifty of her friends. If it gets worse I've a morbid curiosity to discover just how much. Why should a setting for such a math-heavy, conservative game where the best gear and tried-and-tested tactics overcome be so dramatic?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

Our Hero punches out a woman then later scolds her while her jaw's wired shut about how she's the one she should be mad with about the aforementioned Hero killing fifty of her friends. If it gets worse I've a morbid curiosity to discover just how much. Why should a setting for such a math-heavy, conservative game where the best gear and tried-and-tested tactics overcome be so dramatic?

:darkage: seriously it needs an emote, the big house struggles and massive amounts of troops and mechs moving around the characters and then fighting against them is what usually happens in said succession/clan wars dark age from what i read was really really lame.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There's a reason why I don't want too much talk about Dark Age in this thread. Dark Age is so terrible the authors pretty much just gave up and said "Ok, how much do I get paid?" then crapped out novels in like, ten minutes... and the editors didn't call them on it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's a reason why I don't want too much talk about Dark Age in this thread. Dark Age is so terrible the authors pretty much just gave up and said "Ok, how much do I get paid?" then crapped out novels in like, ten minutes... and the editors didn't call them on it.

The above is not a joke. It's pretty much dead on the money. :rimshot:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dolash posted:

In the first hundred pages, the first-person, meant-to-be-sympathetic space lumberjack protagonist punches out a college girl's jaw for asking for donations to save the space muskrats (which are described as horrible to make the Space Greenpeace sound dumb). Then later Greenpeace commandos (complete with armed APC) try to blow up his lumberjack mech and he kills fifty of them. Later still the lumberjack company fires him, he's kidnapped and hired by the leader of the space Greenpeace,
This part sounds awesome.

Dolash posted:

and gives the girl with the broken jaw a big speech about how she shouldn't be mad at him for the commando's deaths, she should be mad at herself for letting herself get hurt so she couldn't lead them.
This part not so much.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

quote:

Katrina Steiner-Davion, on the other hand, is pretty much the snakiest snake you'll find outside the Draconis Combine's royal family.

Yes. Yes she is. And that's why as a loyal Davion player for 20+ years I picked her side in the civil war.

I, like many others, joined Davion back in the day because Hanse was a bad rear end, take no poo poo, balls out motherfucker. He did what it took to win, even if it was considered insane. Gotta break a centuries old stalemate? Married into another house for personal advantage. Get hosed with by Max Liao? Take half his god damned nation. Hanse was the epitome of a Successor Lord.

What did Victor do? Ride on his daddy's coattails, surround himself with mary sues and generally putz around at the Clans while his realm (and father's legacy) fell apart. The majority of what he did was because he happened to be someone with a fancy last name who was in the right place at the right time, not because of his skill or drive. This is a man who, when confronted with the loss of the largest Successor state in existence, shrugged his shoulders and joined ComStar. The moron went as far as to not learn from the past and repeated Operation: Doppelganger on Joshua Marik and was surprised when it didn't work and he managed to lose (in a matter of weeks) nearly all the territory gained in the 4th Succession War!

Kathrine, on the other hand, looked at her lot in life and said hell no. She spent her entire life crawling upwards - doing everything she could to go forward. She planned long ahead, forming critical alliances with major players such as Vlad Ward and Ryan Steiner. She talked her sister into literally handing over control of a quarter of the Inner Sphere to her. She assassinated her own mother for personal advancement. She stole her own brother's DNA to create a child with him for the explicit purpose of loving up Victor's legacy. Up until the writers force-fed her crazy pills near the end of the Civil War to make her a comic book bad guy, she was the epitome of the backstabbing, savvy, take no poo poo leader that a Successor Lord should be.

Victor was a Steiner.
Kathrine was a Davion.
And that's why I sided with the ones who were obviously losing. Because I'm a Davion, drat it. And Victor is not.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'll be honest i always liked the Free Worlds League, the inter conflict and outer conflict made for some very fun games, only in the FWL coudl you fight capcom then have your commander try to attack you for having aspirations over his head :psyduck:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tempest_56 posted:

The moron went as far as to not learn from the past and repeated Operation: Doppelganger on Joshua Marik and was surprised when it didn't work and he managed to lose (in a matter of weeks) nearly all the territory gained in the 4th Succession War!
That was Hanse. Victor just put it into place. And it wasn't really Joshua Marik anyway, it was Joshua Halas.

Anyway, Thomas Marik is a oval office twice as cunty as Katherine Steiner-Davion ever was.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Yeah, pretty much Dark Age is when I stopped caring altogether about the storyline. I actually kind of LIKED the Blakist Jihad-era stuff, because you had cool things like the Ghost Bears working side-by-side with the Kungsarme, the DCMS Ghost(read: badass mech-piloting Yakuza) Regiments handing out some serious asskicking, Com Guards hanging out with everybody cool... sure, there was some horrible poo poo in there, but there was still the 'cool versus awesome' charm of Battletech in there.

Dark Age is more like 'trying too hard to be cool versus thinly-veiled liberal caricatures.' With no editors. And WizKids making GBS threads out horrible clicky-base toys, while the ghosts of FASA quietly wept in a corner.

Stackpole can be a good author, but AVOID the Dark Age stuff. You want something actually pretty good, try the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Agent Interrobang posted:

Stackpole can be a good author, but AVOID the Dark Age stuff. You want something actually pretty good, try the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

Seconding this recommendation. That trilogy still has its major issues, but it is charmingly fun enough to make up for them in my opinion. And it'll be really fun to compare and contrast it to this LP's Clan Invasion. :D

(Still hoping for Clints vs. Omnimechs massacre)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

She assassinated her own mother for personal advancement. She stole her own brother's DNA to create a child with him for the explicit purpose of loving up Victor's legacy.

quote:

Up until the writers force-fed her crazy pills near the end of the Civil War to make her a comic book bad guy, she was the epitome of the backstabbing, savvy, take no poo poo leader that a Successor Lord should be.

Wait, wait, that first part is not crazy? :psyduck:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I point you to only the SECOND Battletech ever released, where Max Liao created an evil twin of Hanse Davion. This is honestly not that weird for the setting. Really, the best way to think of Battletech is that it's a daytime-TV soap opera... with giant stompy killbots. And marginally fewer brain tumors.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

(Still hoping for Clints vs. Omnimechs massacre)

If by this you mean Clints massacring Omnis, then hell yes! :black101:

In my personal experience, everyone who pilots a Clint is a crazy-rear end pilot who will gently caress some poo poo up with his mech.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Really, the best way to think of Battletech is that it's a daytime-TV soap opera

I just figured out what else I remember of Battletech - that cartoon show from childhood! Looked up an episode online and got incredibly nostalgic, that stuff was great as a kid. Valuable lessons about Learning and Being A Team and Putting Aside Differences (Especially Racial Differences). Their ship was called the Katana.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dolash posted:

I just figured out what else I remember of Battletech - that cartoon show from childhood! Looked up an episode online and got incredibly nostalgic, that stuff was great as a kid. Valuable lessons about Learning and Being A Team and Putting Aside Differences (Especially Racial Differences). Their ship was called the Katana.
And "Smashing poo poo With Giant Robots", "Violence Solves Everything", "Infantry Aren't Real People" and "My Robot Has An Escalator In It's rear end".......

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arquinsiel posted:

"Violence Solves Everything"

If it doesn't, you aren't using enough of it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zaodai posted:

If it doesn't, you aren't using enough of it.

Ah yes, the Bigger Hammer rule.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

When the magic of friendship fails, the only recourse left to a pony is particle projector cannons. :black101:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Apparently according to the Battletech wiki he went on to rule an entire country? The Lyrans? Not bad for a saturday morning cartoon character.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Allegedly they got better once they decided to stop focusing on space lumberjacks and more on stuff like Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon :black101:ing the gently caress out of the Lyran Commonwealth or the reformation of the Free Worlds League.

Unfortunately that was like 15 or so books into the series, when most everyone stopped caring.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dolash posted:

Apparently according to the Battletech wiki he went on to rule an entire country? The Lyrans? Not bad for a saturday morning cartoon character.
The Saturday morning cartoon has been canonised in the main story as a propaganda piece made to rally support for the heroic AFFC defending YOUR PLANET from the evil Clans. It's kind of cleverly done actually.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

When the magic of friendship fails, the only recourse left to a pony is particle projector cannons. :black101:

Battletech: the failure of friendship

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Wait, wait, that first part is not crazy? :psyduck:

She's a Successor Lord. Assassination of family members is a completely acceptable course of action if it gets you closer to the throne. When I say 'crazy pills', I mean near the end when she started doing things like saying "Let's ignore the full scale Clan Jade Falcon invasion", "Loyalty purges within my army embroiled in a bloody military campaign is a great idea" and "My troops are using Ares Conventions banned weapons for the first time in centuries? Eh, no big deal.".

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Axe-man posted:

Battletech: the failure of friendship

When the magic of friendship fails, the only recourse left to a pony is particle projector cannons.

I'd buy those Stickers/T-Shirts/Motivational Posters.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

TildeATH posted:

I'd buy those Stickers/T-Shirts/Motivational Posters.

As would I. A unicorn pony with a PPC for a horn sounds awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

As would I. A unicorn pony with a PPC for a horn sounds awesome.

New Hell's Horses totem mech spotted. As soon as they figure how to cram an ER PPC into the head.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

New Hell's Horses totem mech spotted. As soon as they figure how to cram an ER PPC into the head.

You guys may force me to try and con my artist buddies into doing this. I make no promises, though, they're all lazy bums.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You guys may force me to try and con my artist buddies into doing this. I make no promises, though, they're all lazy bums.

Tell them some random dudes on the internet said they probably suck too hard to make a kickass mech design that happens to also be a unicorn with a PPC for a horn.

Because I kinda am saying that right now.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

You're on! I've officially put out the challenge to my artist buddies: whoever comes up with what I think is the best design gets 5 bucks, a fluff entry on the design, a personally-penned verse in the Remembrance of Clan Hell's Horses, and my undying gratitude.

Let us see what turns up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

WarLocke posted:

Torso-mounted cockpit would make room. That's a level 3 rule, though.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Tempest_56 posted:

She assassinated her own mother for personal advancement.

I think they've implied that the Word of Blake were the ones behind it, but that may have just been Blakist propaganda.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Let us see what turns up.

You do realize that no matter what they come up with, the model designation is going to be PNK-1P right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

He manages to never accomplis anything without outside help, and his granddaughter goes on to lose a third of the entire realm, INCLUDING the capital.

gently caress him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

She's a Successor Lord. Assassination of family members is a completely acceptable course of action if it gets you closer to the throne.

The typical Steiner response to this is, "What throne!? Y'all are crazy!" This line of reasoning alone proves Katrina's more Davion than Steiner. Although the Lyrans never really did have the military strength to seriously enforce a claim to the First Lordship. Maybe the strength of the FedCom finally made them into power-mad dictators like everyone else.

Arquinsiel posted:

Loki

Pshh, you create one little state-sponsored terrorist organization and all of a sudden everybody's mad at you. It's still nowhere near as bad as the other Successor States.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

The typical Steiner response to this is, "What throne!? Y'all are crazy!" This line of reasoning alone proves Katrina's more Davion than Steiner. Although the Lyrans never really did have the military strength to seriously enforce a claim to the First Lordship. Maybe the strength of the FedCom finally made them into power-mad dictators like everyone else.

Pshh, you create one little state-sponsored terrorist organization and all of a sudden everybody's mad at you. It's still nowhere near as bad as the other Successor States.

All the successor states are 'bad' in the sense you're talking about; it's just that some of them aren't led by batshit insane leaders.

Also, yes, Loki was much worse than a lot of the poo poo the other states did/do.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

Also, yes, Loki was much worse than a lot of the poo poo the other states did/do.

Loki is exactly as bad as every other state's black ops groups, in that their actions are defined by the person in charge because they are not bound by law.

So, you have a good leader like a Katrina Steiner in power? Loki is okay. They, for example, stopped a DCMS invasion at the end of the 4th War with minimal bloodshed by venting the Combine's JumpShips' coolant so they had to stop their invasion plans to resupply.

On the other hand, you have Katherine Steiner-Davion or Margaret Nin or god forbid Cladius Steiner in charge and holy gently caress.

SirJoeKCB posted:

I think they've implied that the Word of Blake were the ones behind it, but that may have just been Blakist propaganda.

She and Ryan Steiner did it. We see them do it in a novel.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

You do realize that no matter what they come up with, the model designation is going to be PNK-1P right?

Was there EVER any doubt? What kind of dorky adult child do you take me for? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

On the other hand, you have Katherine Steiner-Davion or Margaret Nin or god forbid Cladius Steiner in charge and holy gently caress.

Yeah that was kind of my point. Loki was worse if only because it was Katherine's secret police organization.

• Locked thread