Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
10 O'Clock Live was a definite improvement on last week. The only real weak section was Mitchell's interview with Campbell. Hopefully they'll let Mitchell develop his interviewing against easier guests.

What was the 'Police Afraid of the Dark' bit about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Paperhouse posted:

The mobility wheelchair thing was shite, even worse is I remember that the last time they introduced a new cast in the first ep there was a similar thing where a guy was being chased while riding a skateboard :negative:

on the whole though I actually didn't think it was that bad, better than I expected tbh. And yes, it appears that some of the characters might be a bit more normal and not all have some huge issue that causes them infinite angst

Was it genuinely funny at some points? That's what was great about the first series, there was actually quite a lot of comedy.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 28, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
also something funny about the new cast, my brother was an extra for some of Skins and apparently the rich girl is a bit of a diva irl. Something about her throwing a tantrum because nobody would go and get her a packet of crisps :lol:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Rarity posted:

10 O'Clock Live was a definite improvement on last week. The only real weak section was Mitchell's interview with Campbell. Hopefully they'll let Mitchell develop his interviewing against easier guests.

What was the 'Police Afraid of the Dark' bit about?

Saying somewhere is "a bit dark" is an old fashioned way of saying there are a lot of black people there. So the headline comes off as saying the police are afraid of black people.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Paperhouse posted:

also something funny about the new cast, my brother was an extra for some of Skins and apparently the rich girl is a bit of a diva irl. Something about her throwing a tantrum because nobody would go and get her a packet of crisps :lol:

Is that the girl who was in The Golden Comapass movie?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Saying somewhere is "a bit dark" is an old fashioned way of saying there are a lot of black people there. So the headline comes off as saying the police are afraid of black people.

Fair enough, but what does the headline actually mean?

edit: ^^^ Yes, that's Lyra.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
I think Skins has the potential to be good. As long as it steers clear of already trodden ground but keeps it somewhat realistic (A revolver taken straight from Dirty Harry being owned by a teenager, who somehow knows how to shoot it, with bb pellets as ammunition) then it should be okay.

e: can't spell

Cokeysmoke fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 28, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Fair enough, but what does the headline actually mean?

Something about police refusing to patrol some places at night.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Psybro posted:

More people have seen the Brass Eye Paedophile special and understood what it said about news media than think Chris Morris trivialised child abuse. British youth are taking sides, and this show can capture the zeitgeist if they have the bollocks, which is all Channel 4 has ever aimed to do. Think of all the wonderful comedy that came out of the Thatcher years, well, we're back there. This has legs if it keeps improving.

I agree, honestly, and I know at the end of the day it's a bunch of popular comedians riffing on things what happened. Littlejohn doesn't care about dragging stuff into the limelight by the collar and giving it a good shake in front of an audience, though; he'll complain about these liberal comedians scoring points in front of the scabby students for cheap laughs and not letting the man finish his sentences :argh:

'Police afraid of the dark' is about their reluctance to patrol certain parts of a park past 8PM. Could be dogwhistle, though, and I'll bet the author knew it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cokeysmoke posted:

I think Skins has the potential to be good. As long as it steers clear of already trodden ground but keeps it somehwat realistic (A revolver taken straight from Dirty Harry being owned by a teenager, who somehow knows how to shoot it, with bb pellets as ammunition) then it should be okay.
completely agree with this, I think skins is guilty of covering the same ground a number of times and also of being too melodramatic and just not like how real people act or are. Obviously it's not going to be hugely realistic but some of the stuff that's happened in previous series was just loving stupid and smacks of bad writing

Psybro
May 12, 2002

spincube posted:

Littlejohn doesn't care about dragging stuff into the limelight by the collar and giving it a good shake in front of an audience, though; he'll complain about these liberal comedians scoring points in front of the scabby students for cheap laughs and not letting the man finish his sentences :argh:

Let Littlejohn be Littlejohn. Labour spent 12 years worrying about the Littlejohns.

quote:

A senior officer told stunned councillors there would be no patrols after 8pm at newly-built Waterlees Park in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, for health and safety reasons.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I thought skins was shite, completely boring.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
10o'clock was good, still needs work but an improvement on last week. Surprise surprise.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I thought 10 O'Clock Live was substantially better this week. I don't think that David Mitchell needs to do a Paxman to interview someone. Slimy shits like Campbell and that Professor do a good enough job of showing themselves for the vile people they are without needing to have someone shout at them and creating any kind of sympathy for them, and it's completely fine to do what they did tonight and make snarky jokes about them afterwards. The timekeeping and pacing seemed a lot better this week too.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

it's completely fine to do what they did tonight and make snarky jokes about them afterwards.
Letting the person you interview dominate the proceedings, spout outright lies and patronise you and your other guests without any resistance, followed by a few meek jokes being their back is 'completely fine'?

I'm glad we've sunk to this incredible low.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Quite enjoyed Skins, and I hated series 3 and 4. I'll take Franky over Freddie or Cook or any of those other dickheads from the last lot. I can't even remember the girls (apart from batshit Effy). Hopefully this one will be more like the first two series.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

eating only apples posted:

Quite enjoyed Skins, and I hated series 3 and 4. I'll take Franky over Freddie or Cook or any of those other dickheads from the last lot. I can't even remember the girls (apart from batshit Effy). Hopefully this one will be more like the first two series.

To be honest I'm finding it both better and worse than the last group at the same time. Some of these kids are just awful actors and none of it particularly excited me but at least there weren't any fart jokes.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Skins has always had a few in it who were not good actors though. At least based on the first episode these characters may be way less annoying than the ones from the previous cast

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Korendian Leader posted:

Letting the person you interview dominate the proceedings, spout outright lies and patronise you and your other guests without any resistance, followed by a few meek jokes being their back is 'completely fine'?

I'm glad we've sunk to this incredible low.

If it's obvious that nobody is buying it (as I thought it was), they can feel free to spout whatever obvious bullshit they want it only paints them in a bad light. If you do a Nick Griffin on Newsnight and just constantly take the piss out of someone and barely let them get their disgusting views out for everyone to see you just end up with a martyrdom complex. I would wager that most people watching 10 O'Clock Live know Campbell is a detestable lying poo poo, they don't necessarily need someone to shout at them. There's multiple ways to interview people.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

I don't care if he wants to do ad-work. It's just... it's Go Compare. That opera singer is just terrible.

I've always thought that guy looks like a fat David Mitchell anyway, so it's kind of appropriate.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dammit, the ending of Skins won it at least one more episode. The whole finding your true friends was cheesy yet adorable (also, way better than skanky Effy/Cook sex) and the music at the end was awesome. Why don't I have it in me to let this show go? :argh:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Paperhouse posted:

my bad, the girl in question was actually the one playing Frankie, who was the girl in The Golden Compass. Not the bitch girl.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Once again I think Adam & Joe summed up Skins perfectly-

Digital skateboard turd spliff text trilby swearing indie-rock community police ponce pub lady

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Tsaedje posted:

If it's obvious that nobody is buying it (as I thought it was), they can feel free to spout whatever obvious bullshit they want it only paints them in a bad light. If you do a Nick Griffin on Newsnight and just constantly take the piss out of someone and barely let them get their disgusting views out for everyone to see you just end up with a martyrdom complex. I would wager that most people watching 10 O'Clock Live know Campbell is a detestable lying poo poo, they don't necessarily need someone to shout at them. There's multiple ways to interview people.

Case in point the terror expert. He managed to hang himself with his own words without anyones input.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
In Question Time, who was that wildly ignorant oval office, wearing the 80's shoulders and the smug look of dim witted superiority, on the far right of the panel? Every time she spoke or was in shot of the camera I really just wanted to punch her face in, and that's not sexist because i'm going by her rules so she's loving earned it.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

It's almost as if you can challenge the assertions of the person you are supposed to be interviewing without shouting at them or ridiculing them.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Kin posted:

In Question Time, who was that wildly ignorant oval office, wearing the 80's shoulders and the smug look of dim witted superiority, on the far right of the panel? Every time she spoke or was in shot of the camera I really just wanted to punch her face in, and that's not sexist because i'm going by her rules so she's loving earned it.

She was on T'Apprentice a few years ago.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Ratjaculation posted:

Digital skateboard turd spliff text trilby swearing indie-rock community police ponce pub lady

METAL AS gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TngiQ9XwBP0

Skins : the Kuuenbu episdoe.

Melche
Apr 29, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Seriously, I think this is a terrible opinion, and this kind of thinking is the major problem with the show.

Letting someone paint themselves in the best possible light, then having your carefully chosen audience jeer at him because they all already disagree with him is not enough. You don't necessarily have to be aggressive, but you do have to be interrogative - find the hypocrisy and bring it to light, confront them the poo poo they try to gloss over, etc. Letting them talk and then saying "well very nice, but everyone watching knows you're a poo poo anyway" is a massive cop out. Why bother with the interview then?

That approach might work if you want to bring on absolute clowns like Nick Griffin and play poke-the-retard, but not with anyone remotely interesting. Cambell is loving professional PR man, he's not going to hang himself if you give him some rope, he'll do the exact opposite. The professor was enough of douche to look awful on his own, but honestly no one did a particularly good job of really showing the problems with his viewpoint. And someone completely impartial would think Cambell looked great. Honestly, there's probably a massive queue of politicians wanting to get on this show - you look ballsy as gently caress for coming on an "edgy lefty satire show", then come out of the world's easiest interview smelling of loving roses. Coulson'll probably be on next week.

Tl,dr: letting someone paint themselves in the best possible light and counting on the audience already being on your side is not good enough. The producers think it is, which is why "Funny and liked by the audience" is seen as impeccable credentials for an incisive political interviewer.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
On another note, it seems to be Whale Hunting Month on the BBC. First a Sperm Whale on Human Planet: Oceans, then a Bowhead on Bruce Parry then a Narwhal on Human Planet: Arctic.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Ratjaculation posted:

There's a clip here. Anyone who does not like Adam and Joe is wrong.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I miss Adam and Joe on 6music :smith:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I miss the Queen presenting Blinda Data on a Saturday night. :smith:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kin posted:

Everything she said was complete drivel. Pointing out that control orders only apply to people we don't really like and using that to dismiss criticism of them is just bollocks. People care about control orders BECAUSE they apply to people we don't really like.

At least we got a decent performance out of Will "Oh gently caress the lot of you" Self.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I miss the Queen presenting Blinda Data on a Saturday night. :smith:

If you were Santa, what kind of Santa would you be?

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Paperhouse posted:

completely agree with this, I think skins is guilty of covering the same ground a number of times and also of being too melodramatic and just not like how real people act or are. Obviously it's not going to be hugely realistic but some of the stuff that's happened in previous series was just loving stupid and smacks of bad writing

I was impressed with last night's episode of Skins, it played everything pretty straight and didn't seem like it was trying to outdo previous seasons in terms of craziness and drama. More normal people in it, as others have said.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
If 10 O'Clock is just going to have interviews where experienced PR men walk circles around the interviewer, and pull in a pantomime crowd performance with people shouting over eachother for the terrorist detention discussion, then they may as well give up. They can't have it both ways; it's either a politics discussion show or it isn't.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Embarrassing Bodies is simultaneously horrifying and hilarious.

I bloody love it :unsmith:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

King Crab posted:

Embarrassing Bodies is simultaneously horrifying and hilarious.

I bloody love it :unsmith:

I have no idea why these people talk about being too embarrassed to go to their GP with their terrible bisected vaginas/prolapsed rectums/warty penises, but will quite happily go on national telly and flash them to the world.

It's baffling. I don't understand why or how they live with these problems for years. Especially the bloke walking about with a hernia the size of a newborn baby hanging off his abdomen :stare: Surely the first time you saw it poking out and wobbling gently you would be like "Welp, time to see a surgeon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Irisi posted:

I have no idea why these people talk about being too embarrassed to go to their GP with their terrible bisected vaginas/prolapsed rectums/warty penises, but will quite happily go on national telly and flash them to the world.
They must get paid, surely. Otherwise it makes literally no sense, at all.