Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DoctorJones posted:

For the prerelease, do all your cards have to share the same faction symbol or are you free to use Mirran cards from your SOM boosters/Mythics in your Phyrexia deck and vice versa?

You're free to use whatever cards you open. It's just that the Mirran/Phyrexian factions are split for the MBS packs. So yes, you can use the opposite faction's cards you opened from the SOM packs.

Also I hope that I get in a game where my opponent and I both get Consecrated Sphinxes. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Fox of Stone posted:

You're free to use whatever cards you open. It's just that the Mirran/Phyrexian factions are split for the MBS packs. So yes, you can use the opposite faction's cards you opened from the SOM packs.

Also I hope that I get in a game where my opponent and I both get Consecrated Sphinxes. :3:

It's a may effect. But deciding when to stop would be fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I should have said that I hope I get into that game with a ballsy player too. It'll be fun playing chicken with draws.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Consecrated Sphinx. Go.

Draw card. Draw two cards. Consecrated Sphinx. Go.

Draw card. Draw two cards. Two triggers on on the stack. Draw two cards. Two triggers go on the stack....... let me get my pad of paper.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Finally, a use for those 14th pick Venser's Journals :cool:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Pinwiz11 posted:

Consecrated Sphinx. Go.

Draw card. Draw two cards. Consecrated Sphinx. Go.

Draw card. Draw two cards. Two triggers on on the stack. Draw two cards. Two triggers go on the stack....... let me get my pad of paper.

The consecrated sphinx mirror: the best mirror.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm pretty sure the guy with Blue Sun's Zenith wins our magical christmasland match.

That would be loving wonderful to do, though :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nope. The guy with the blightsteel colossus wins.

Funny enough, both are phyrexian.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 27, 2011

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fox of Stone posted:

Nope. The guy with the blightsteel colossus wins.

Funny enough, both are phyrexian.

No he doesn't. You both draw most of your deck and then you blue-sun them into drawing more than their deck holds.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Vanilla Bison posted:

Just chiming in to say that I'm also watching and enjoying your videos, Imaduck. I'll throw a link to your draft playlists in the OP when I update it for Mirrodin Besieged.
Awesome!

New video up: http://www.youtube.com/luluscards . This time with marginally less sucking!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The Sphinx off is just a big game of chicken really. The "loop" ends when someone doesn't want to draw anymore.

edit: and you cannot be milled with an Infiltration Lens unless you want to be milled. Has anyone made the 6 x Screeching Silclaw.dec work? I've only seen a few of them played while wartching drafts.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 27, 2011

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bugsy posted:

The Sphinx off is just a big game of chicken really. The "loop" ends when someone doesn't want to draw anymore.

edit: and you cannot be milled with an Infiltration Lens unless you want to be milled. Has anyone made the 6 x Screeching Silclaw.dec work? I've only seen a few of them played while wartching drafts.

I've attacked with more Silclaws with Barbed Battlegear for lethal than I've ever managed to actually get a player within 4 turns of death.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Sort of, but you're drawing two cards for every one card they draw, meaning their Sphinx will then trigger twice. If they then use it, you can then get 4 draws, and so on. It adds up pretty darn fast.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Imaduck posted:

Sort of, but you're drawing two cards for every one card they draw, meaning their Sphinx will then trigger twice. If they then use it, you can then get 4 draws, and so on. It adds up pretty darn fast.

They're all "may" effects, and they're all only two at a time. So bugsy is, in essence, correct. It doesn't really matter how fast they add up, that just means you'd (theoretically) have to go "no I still don't want to draw two more" a bunch more times when you're done.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Ashenai posted:

They're all "may" effects, and they're all only two at a time. So bugsy is, in essence, correct. It doesn't really matter how fast they add up, that just means you'd (theoretically) have to go "no I still don't want to draw two more" a bunch more times when you're done.
Right, but my point is when your opponent stops, you can still draw twice as many cards as he did, if you so choose, so it's not like you can just stop your opponent from drawing when you stop.

Or maybe we're all saying the same thing and I just misinterpreted his post.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
Did a quick tally for removal cards in MBS and came up with this:

Mirran - 9:
6 - R
2 - W
1 - B

Phyrexia - 15:
4 - W
4 - B
3 - G
3 - U
1 - R

This hasn't been double checked, but it doesn't help my decision for which faction to choose for prerelease.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DoctorJones posted:

Did a quick tally for removal cards in MBS and came up with this:

Mirran - 9:
6 - R
2 - W
1 - B

Phyrexia - 15:
4 - W
4 - B
3 - G
3 - U
1 - R

This hasn't been double checked, but it doesn't help my decision for which faction to choose for prerelease.

Well, you won't actually be playing the white or red removal if you're choosing Phyrexia, whereas the W/R removal in Mirran is in the colours you'll be playing, so it's really more like

Mirran - 9:
6 - R
2 - W
1 - B

Phyrexia - 10:
4 - B
3 - G
3 - U

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Again, don't forget that Mirran's removal is skewed towards common, whereas Phyrexia's is uncommon. You're more likely to open more removal cards as Mirran, but fewer, better ones as Phyrexia.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Something to play around with while waiting for tomorrow:
http://boosterme.heroku.com/choose

Naturally doesn't take print runs into account, but anyway.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chajusong posted:

Well, you won't actually be playing the white or red removal if you're choosing Phyrexia, whereas the W/R removal in Mirran is in the colours you'll be playing, so it's really more like

You can still splash most of it.

Lunael posted:

Something to play around with while waiting for tomorrow:
http://boosterme.heroku.com/choose

Naturally doesn't take print runs into account, but anyway.

I did this, picked Phyrexia, got 2 Koths in my Scars packs :ironicat:

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Lone Goat posted:

You can still splash most of it.

I did this, picked Phyrexia, got 2 Koths in my Scars packs :ironicat:

Obviously you should pick Phyrexia tomorrow.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
That program really highlights the variance of the Phyrexian side. Sometimes, I can barely cobble together 11 infect dudes in BWG. In another, I had like 12 infect dudes in black and artifacts, and 3 Corrupted Consciences.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

It would be cool if that program actually could replicate print runs. It would also be cool if I could open Carnifex Demon, Massacre Wurm, and double Bone Hoard in real life.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just won my sealed prerelease. I wanted to go mirran, but got thrown into phyrexia and drew the following:

1 phyrexian rebirth
1 black sun's zenith
1 hand of the praetors
1 true conviction
1 argentum armor
1 necrotic ooze
3 spread the sickness
3 tine shrike
2 leaden myr
1 rust tick
1 carrion call
1 painsmith
2 flensermite
1 plague myr
1 cystbearer
1 priests of norn
1 phyrexian juggernaut
7 plains
3 forest
7 swamp

The hand of the praetor was a foil and my 7th rare was creeping corrosion - the blow up all artifacts for 2gg.

That decklist contains every card with infect on it that I pulled, I felt weird about running white without access to any revokes etc. but I just had to do it. Turns out blowing up someone's battlesphere, myrs, and other dudes and getting a big fat blocker on the board works pretty well. The rares alone nearly made me poo poo myself, but pulling 3x kill target creature, proliferate and 3x flying 2/1 infect dudes was just out of control.

I cast black sun's zenith 3 times, every single time I cast it it just felt like I was cheating. That card is so easy to set up a profitable board state for in infect it's just a little bit out of control.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
So... how many Infect dudes do I usually want for an infect deck/how many artifacts for metalcraft?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I'm going to grow old and die in this M11 8-4 queue :(

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Just got back from a Midnight Prerelease and split Top 8 (4-1-1) playing Phyrexia. Ended up putting together a straight forward GB Infect with no Rares in it. My rares were horrible:

- Black Sun's Zenith (great card, but not in Infect)
- Spine of Ish Whatevs
- Magnetic Mine (once again, useless for Infect)
- Geth, Lord of the Vault (out of mana curve)
- Asceticism
- Semblance Anvil

Beyond that, the big thing I discovered in an Prerelease Infect mirror is that card advantage is key. Anything that would net me extra cards was immediately slotted in post-board.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 29, 2011

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
It looks like you could have run Geth, Black Sun's Zenith, and Asceticism and had a late game way to generate massive card advantage??? They don't have 100% synergy, but board wipes are never 'bad'.

What was your white bringing to the table that was better?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Necronomiconomist posted:

It looks like you could have run Geth, Black Sun's Zenith, and Asceticism and had a late game way to generate massive card advantage??? They don't have 100% synergy, but board wipes are never 'bad'.

What was your white bringing to the table that was better?

I mistyped. It was GB instead of GW. (My one loss was to GW Infect.)

Since I could only really go all-in Infect with the cards that I had, I went with as many guys, removal spells, and card advantage as possible. My fear with the Zenith was that it would wipe the board and I wouldn't have anything with which to finish the game off. I probably should have considered Asceticism with I went up against Mirran decks, but I focused the deck on trying to get that last point or two of poison through.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I mistyped. It was GB instead of GW. (My one loss was to GW Infect.)

Since I could only really go all-in Infect with the cards that I had, I went with as many guys, removal spells, and card advantage as possible. My fear with the Zenith was that it would wipe the board and I wouldn't have anything with which to finish the game off. I probably should have considered Asceticism with I went up against Mirran decks, but I focused the deck on trying to get that last point or two of poison through.

When you have a Wrath effect in your deck, you hold back creatures in your hand so that when you wrath you're killing off more of your opponent's creatures than yours.

Also, after you Wrath you could play Geth, and start resurrecting your opponent's creatures. It's a sealed deck, there's no way your curve stops before 6.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Geth also plays well in the aggro Infect deck since your opponent is going to be using their removal pretty freely, making it likely they don't have a piece to handle him (since you don't put Geth into the red zone).

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Dropped from our prerelease at 2-1. After two straight RW mirrors I had bile tasting in my mouth and just didn't want to play (and frankly, I'm not too sure whether I would've went 4-2 for prizes anyway with the deck).

Pool and words:

Artifacts:

Signal Pest
Copper Myr, 2 Iron Myr, 2 Gold Myr, Perilous Myr, Necropede, Snapsail Glider, Training Drone, Myr Galvanizer, Myr Propagator, Corpse Cur, Soliton, Kuldotha Forgemaster, 2 Razorfield Rhino, 3 Hexplate Golem

Accorder's Shield, Copper Carapace, Silverskin Armor, Echo Circlet, Sphere of the Suns, Viridian Claw, Heavy Arbalest, Titan Forge, Contagion Engine

Contagion Engine was the only real bomb of the pool, and it has the obvious synergy with Titan Forge which is going to the deck no matter what if only to test it out. Forgemaster was nice to see, I've been wanting to try out deck with Forgemaster and Contagion Engine. Fortunate spread of colours on the manamyr!

Green:

Carapace Forger, Tangle Mantis, Melira's Keepers, Putrefax, Alpha Tyrranax

2 Mirran Mettle, Withstand Death, Tel-Jilad Defiance

Nothing here that would make me want to play green.

Black:

Painsmith, Blistergrup, Ichor Rats, Blackcleave Goblin, Sangromancer

Almost same here. No removal, no reason to look into fitting Painsmith and Sangromancer.

Blue:

Plated Seastrider, Mirran Spy, Treasure Mage, Scrapdiver Serpent

Twisted Image, Vault Skyward, Turn Aside, Turn the Tide, Quicksilver Geyser, Volition Reins

Blue is such a shitbin even with Besieged in. Volition Reins is obviously nice but calls for fairly heavy blue commitment, Treasure Mage could fetch me the Contagion Engine... but that's it.

White:

Ardent Recruit, Leonin Skyhunter, Gore Vassal, Mirran Crusader, Kemba's Skyguard, Ghalma's Warden, 2 Loxodon Partisan

Divine Offering, Whitesun's Passage, Arrest, Frantic Salvage

Mirran Crusader is a pretty massive roadblock for straight BG Infect, there's couple of fliers and average beef. Plus a couple of removal which makes white pretty much a no-brainer.

Red:

Goblin Wardriver, Ferrovore, 2 Koth's Courier, Blade-Tribe Berserkers, Oxidda Scrapmelter, Ogre Resister, Spiraling Duelist, Kuldotha Ringleader, Scoria Elemental, Ogre Geargrabber, 3 Gnathosaur, Kuldotha Flamefiend

Shatter, Rally the Forcer, 2 Concussive Bolt

As much as I liked seeing Kuldotha Flamefiend and Oxidda Scrapmelter, I was kinda hoping for a bit more in the removal department. Not even any of those 2/1 gobbos that ping for 1 when ETB, which by the way are pretty good.

Ended up building artifact heavy RW with the couple of the Chrome-Steed-on-Steroids in. Actually managed to roll out some 9/9s in several games!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

So apparently a draft deck with 2 Vedalken Anatomists, 2 Corrupted Consciences, Black Sun's Zenith, Strata Scythe, and motherfucking CONSECRATED SPHINX is pretty good.

Someone passed me the Consecrated Sphinx pack 1 pick 2 because he "wasn't playing blue" :rolleyes:

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
http://draft.bestiaire.org/ has MBS up for you to mock draft with.

Johflop
Aug 23, 2008

atastypie posted:

http://draft.bestiaire.org/ has MBS up for you to mock draft with.

Of course, the pack order is wrong. It's useless as is.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Johflop posted:

Of course, the pack order is wrong. It's useless as is.

Unless they fixed it since you posted, draft order is correct.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Lets Pickle posted:

Someone passed me the Consecrated Sphinx pack 1 pick 2 because he "wasn't playing blue" :rolleyes:

If he got solid card in a colour he was playing, no problem with that.

Android Thumper
Jan 21, 2005
I was born a poor Black child.
Went to a midnight prerelease, went 5-1, there was no top. (Because it was 6 AM!) Phyrexian deck with lots of solid cards, but zero bombs. My rares were:

Decimator Web (Played Clasp over this)
Magnetic Mine (lols worst rare in set?)
Phyrexian Revoker (Sweet for constructed...)
Prototype Portal (Not bad, just not good enough. Especially glad I didn't play it in face of the RIDICULOUS amount of artifact hate Mirran decks got.)
Mindslaver (too slow, especially for this sealed format. Happy I didn't play it, would have never had a good opportunity.)
Some other garbage.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Lunael posted:

If he got solid card in a colour he was playing, no problem with that.

How could he know which colors he'd be playing after only one pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

How could he know which colors he'd be playing after only one pick?

gently caress, my mistake, read that "pack 2" for some reason. Sorry.

Yeah, the Sphinx is pretty good reason to dive into the cesspool that is Mirrodin blue.