Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I think a dark bronze with a patina on it would look good. Maybe put a little white down below the hawk turquoise so it has lighter borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Potentially stupid idea... basecoat it, then use white as Guest says, then turquoise, then sponge on the basecoat colour with more attention paid to the flat areas.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The correct answer is, always, 'basecoat Tin Bitz'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Dwarf Napoleon?

I'm deeply confused by the splash of blue on his belly. It's like someone wanted to do bounce lighting, but forgot to bother anywhere else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Napoleon wasnt actually short! He was average height for the period!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do Forgeworld dread arms fit regular non-AoBR dreads?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Fyrbrand posted:

Do Forgeworld dread arms fit regular non-AoBR dreads?

Yeah, the peg size in forgeworld and GW dreadnought arms are the same for all GW and forgeworld dreads, the AoBR is the only one with weird pegs.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chenghiz posted:

Yeah, the peg size in forgeworld and GW dreadnought arms are the same for all GW and forgeworld dreads, the AoBR is the only one with weird pegs.

Sweet, now to plan my order... :clint:

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.
I have a stupid question. I have some pictures I recently took and I want to post them here. But the images are too large for waffleimages, how do I shrink down the file sizes?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cthulhudreamt posted:

I have a stupid question. I have some pictures I recently took and I want to post them here. But the images are too large for waffleimages, how do I shrink down the file sizes?

Use imgur

Waffleimages is almost constantly down lately. Its miles better. But if you want a free image editing package, get irfanview. Its perfect for just resizing/brightening pictures.

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.

Bhyo posted:

Use imgur

Waffleimages is almost constantly down lately. Its miles better. But if you want a free image editing package, get irfanview. Its perfect for just resizing/brightening pictures.

Many thanks!

Ok this is something I recently did for my friends new gaming store, whenever something new comes in it seems I'll be asked to paint them from now on.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Ok I've read a hundred different "brush care" guides all with conflicting opinions about the best way to take care of brushes. I've got some Windsor and Newton Series 7s coming and I don't want to ruin them. Is there a de facto guide on the best way to take care of brushes?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Rabbi posted:

Ok I've read a hundred different "brush care" guides all with conflicting opinions about the best way to take care of brushes. I've got some Windsor and Newton Series 7s coming and I don't want to ruin them. Is there a de facto guide on the best way to take care of brushes?

Get "The Masters' Brush Cleaner and Conditioner". Follow directions. Done.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

stabbington posted:

Best advice. Also, keep the little plastic tube thing that comes on the tip of the brush as well.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
But don't put it on too tightly, ecspecially if you might get changing temperatures and the resulting shrinkage. I once pulled off the metal thingie from one of my series 7 instead of just the plastic tube :v: (but good super glue plus surface primer for the wood part will fix that)

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

Aside from "more light", no. I have the same problems, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem is just that I am using a basic point-and-shoot camera instead of a nicer DSLR where I can actually control the settings and that has a higher quality CCD.

From your photo though, I think more light would help.

Click here for the full image.

I took all of the above with a little P&S camera and lighting definitely helps. Feel free to group your models closer together too, the wider apart they are the harder it may be to get them in a shot where you can still make out detail.

The biggest suggestion I can give for anyone wanting to show off models in picture form is to get a background. Not only does it isolate the model from what would be a crowded and sometimes more interesting background, but the color choice of background will help bring the detail out even more. That's why you see all the different backgrounds on pictures from companies. Something as simple as a piece of paper (without lines :mad:) does wonders:

Also, don't ever use the flash directly on the model. If you don't have enough light, then for the love of god put a piece of paper over the flash so you don't completely wash the model out.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The thing you have to understand with taking photos of models is that it is all voodoo and witchcraft. You will never ever reliably get a good and accurate picture.

*runs away crying*

I have a batch of mini pics that beg to differ. :colbert:

Edit: gently caress your tables.

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 30, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is that a

Why is that a

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Is that an Avatar of Khaine as a Bloodcrusher?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Is that an Avatar of Khaine as a Bloodcrusher?

Nope, used just as an Avatar.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Asmodai_00 posted:

Nope, used just as an Avatar.

Why?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Why?

khorne and khaine are pretty much the same thing right??? :downs:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Actually, that's debateably true.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Terrain image dump incoming:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Yup. Pretty sure that terrain rules.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
What did you use to make the slime?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

stabbington posted:

Adding a vote for this. One of my wifes W&N fell off a table while no one was looking. When I found it the brush was all frayed out and wouldn't hold a tip. Did a quick treatment of the Masters, rinsed it out, then did a real thick lather of the Masters, shaped the point, and let the soap dry, holding the bristles back in place. 2 days later rinsed it out and it was like a brand new brush.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Iron gob is the little spider painted red on the base. OSTRAYLIA.

if anyone makes me I'll get some better pictures up tomorrow, during the day when there's sun and light.

Any criticism / critique?

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 30, 2011

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wish people would stop using waffle images to be honest.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Frybrand can you throw on 4 small turtles and a rat onto that slime piece? TIA.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Why?

Why not?

It came up randomly in a conversation, that player liked the idea, so made it happen.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Feeple posted:

Frybrand can you throw on 4 small turtles and a rat onto that slime piece? TIA.

If someone can point me to the models I'll make this happen. I think the new hellpit abomination has rats I could use, but I need the turtles.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Fyrbrand posted:

If someone can point me to the models I'll make this happen. I think the new hellpit abomination has rats I could use, but I need the turtles.

http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/cp/Turtle_Pewter_Collectable

http://www.thebeadcagebeads.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_102_106&products_id=983

Do eet!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Those both seem pretty big but imma keep searching, this needs to happen.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/IronbackSpitter.png

Worth it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fyrbrand posted:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/turtle/latest/02848

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/turtle/latest/P02848B

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/rat/sku-down/65047

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/rat/sku-down/02399#detail/02399_w_1

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

So I ended up doing the Washed Bone and Red armor, I think it turned out fairly well. Wash is still drying so should lighten up a bit more.

Again, sorry about poor camera shots.

edit* I know about the feet.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That looks really good man.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Spent this weekend at a painting class, working on blending, fleshtones, and metals. It's WIP, but here's how far I got:

Figured I'd post it now because there's no way in hell I'm going to be touching this thing again for months. It's ok for ogres to be a little :downs:, yeah?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did you mix a little purple into the skin too? It looks really good either way, your paintings come on a hell of a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's actually kind of a deep red, yeah.

• Locked thread