Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
It's looking like we're not going to be able to fulfill the secondary objective, unless our Griffin can somehow torso twist and get off a PPC shot at the Hussar and hope for (another) ridiculously good roll.

The Spider is actually in a good position, the Griffin is inside min range for all its weapons (unless it wants to try to kick) and the Blackjack is carrying residual heat. Best case scenario here is the Spider misses, fails its piloting roll. If that happens the Blackjack should go all out, rack up more heat but carve that Spider up, then kick it.

Our Vulcan and Jenner need to break the duel with the Dragon (since we had no intention of honoring it, and close on the Dragon in a pincer move. Get in close and carve it up.

Edit: Oh wait, brain fart. We still get a movement phase, right? Good.

A walks to 0708 facing North - should place him in short range for both PPC and LRMs to the Hussar. Take both shots and hope for luck.

B should either walk to 0710 and turn around facing NW to carve up the Spider, or do 0710-0609 (I think it can walk this) and fire on the Hussar to hope to take it out before it gets away. I'm inclined to suggest the latter.

C should maybe jump to 3313 (I think, 2 hexes NW of the Dragon), short range for his lasers, the jump and terrain will make him hard to hit and he's too close for its big guns anyway.

D is too far out to engage this turn but I would suggest closing on the Dragon ASAP to close the pincer.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Or the Blackjack could simply walk out of the way, turn around, and kick the spider in the head when it lands.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Alternatively, the Blackjack could stand there and shoot it down (then get hit by 30 tons of falling debris).

Do it! Be the man your father wanted!! Chicks dig steely resolve in the face of dive-bombing giant robots! Do it! DO IT!!!

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The spider might do what, 6 damage?

Unless you're driving something like a Mad Cat Mk II or a Highlander, you don't DFA hoping to crush them with your mech.

You DFA hoping (against the odds) to hit them, forcing them to make a PSR they lose, while you make a PSR you succeed at, thus putting them adjacent and prone.

Or, if you're like me, you use a 30-ton mech to hop across a map and perform a Death from Above on a dismounted MechWarrior, falling on your rear end in the process but hitting him, knocking him down a three Z-level fall to splatter across the cockpit window of one of his allies' battlemechs.

(Yep, I hit him, squished him, and displaced him down 3 Z-levels onto a prone 'mech. It rolled on the punch table, hit the head - sadly did zero damage, but still! I can't imagine that did much good for the morale of the guy in the 'mech he splattered on.)

WarLocke posted:

Our Vulcan and Jenner need to break the duel with the Dragon (since we had no intention of honoring it, and close on the Dragon in a pincer move. Get in close and carve it up.

Don't do this. Stick with the duel and honor it.

Breaking the duel is an opportunity you only get once. Afterwards, nobody will trust you to honor the duel again - and if you offer, or if they offer, they will be the ones waiting to break the duel.

Besides, it never hurts to gain the Kell Hounds a reputation as honorable warriors.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 29, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or the Blackjack could simply walk out of the way, turn around, and kick the spider in the head when it lands.

Yeah I realized that and edited my post. I still think exposing back armor to the Spider's dinky weapons is worth it to try to get the Hussar out of the picture. It's risky but only if the Spider manages a critical, it's not going to trash anything on damage alone.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Don't do this. Stick with the duel and honor it.

... If we manage to kill them all then who's going to say that we broke a duel? :commissar:

Edit: If you guys want to honor the duel our Jenner can walk to 0812 which will put it within short range of the Spider for all its weapons.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 29, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I realized that and edited my post. I still think exposing back armor to the Spider's dinky weapons is worth it to try to get the Hussar out of the picture. It's risky but only if the Spider manages a critical, it's not going to trash anything on damage alone.

... If we manage to kill them all then who's going to say that we broke a duel? :commissar:

How would shooting the hussar expose your back armor to the spider unless your mech pilot is trying to get killed?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

How would shooting the hussar expose your back armor to the spider unless your mech pilot is trying to get killed?

If our Blackjack walks into position to fire on the Hussar (at least, the path I'm thinking of) its back will be to the Spider when the firing phase happens.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
The Hussar is trying to leave? Called it. (told 'em, told 'em, told 'em, millenium hand AND shrimp). Still self-appointed Intel Officer.

I favor keeping the duel. Yeah, getting the 'Hounds a reputation as an honorable unit cannot hurt if just because it preserves your ability to break it when it REALLY matters later. :ninja:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I plan on continuing the duel for now. It is more likely that the Hussar is attempting to get into a sniping position where it might actually survive for a bit and not currently fleeing. The battle hasn't been decided *yet*, although they are obviously getting desperate (DFA!). I do still think it should be the priority target for the nuggets.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lieutenant Barnes chortled into the comms. “Ha, got you now you snake bastard! Let’s see you get over the river with no leg armor!”

For the uninitiated: One of the more interesting rules of Battletech is that water is bad for parts without armor. If a mech section which has no armor on it is submerged, all parts within it are flooded and effectively destroyed. This means the Dragon, if it walks into the river, will lose the use of all four leg actuators in the right leg. This is almost 100% certain to make it fall over and never be able to stand up again. If it manages to somehow stay up, it's going to suffer so many movement penalties that it's effectively immobilized.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

If our Blackjack walks into position to fire on the Hussar (at least, the path I'm thinking of) its back will be to the Spider when the firing phase happens.

Like I said, that requires the pilot wanting to die. All he needs to do is just turn one hexside to shield his back armor...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

... If we manage to kill them all then who's going to say that we broke a duel?

Mercenaries are always bragging about the wrong things in the numerous bars and cafes of the Battletech world.

Like discussing how the Theban Sacred Band was an ancient version of McCarron's Armored Cavalry.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

I favor keeping the duel. Yeah, getting the 'Hounds a reputation as an honorable unit cannot hurt if just because it preserves your ability to break it when it REALLY matters later. :ninja:

If we're going to do this then we need to decide how hard we want to push. If we take out both lights that are in play the Dragon is likely going to try to disengage. We have speed on him but he's near the edge of the map anyway so he may still get away. So do we push to take out both the Hussar and Spider or play it safe?

If the former, the Griffin and Blackjack need to target the Hussar, with the Jenner on the Spider and the Vulcan repositioning to assist if the Spider lasts the round.

Longinus00 posted:

Like I said, that requires the pilot wanting to die. All he needs to do is just turn one hexside to shield his back armor...

Not enough movement points. Unless he runs, and the shot on the Hussar is already going to be hard. He's the only one who can get a good bead on it this turn though unless the Griffin breaks off the duel (seems like that's not happening).

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

He moved (check the map. Gray is where he fell down).

Also, yeah, there's plenty of time to get out of the way of the DFA. Alternatively, the Blackjack could stand there and shoot it down (then get hit by 30 tons of falling debris).

*thinks about it for a moment*

*looks at spider*

*looks at ground*

*looks at spider*

*Steps back one a bit and unloads with medium lasers and lets him fall in front of him a flaming heap*

:effort:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

*Steps back one a bit and unloads with medium lasers and lets him fall in front of him a flaming heap*

You have enough movement points to do this the right way (walk up hill, then turn around) and that will avoid a piloting roll for walking up an incline backwards IIRC.

Unless you're backing into 0909, but 0710 looks like it's the better spot for getting to the Hussar next turn if it doesn't flee.

Edit: You know what? Those are level 1 hills, you can fire over them, yeah do that, back into 0909, maybe turn right so the Hussar isn't on your right (hard to tell at that angle) then you can open up on either mech.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 29, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

If we're going to do this then we need to decide how hard we want to push. If we take out both lights that are in play the Dragon is likely going to try to disengage. We have speed on him but he's near the edge of the map anyway so he may still get away. So do we push to take out both the Hussar and Spider or play it safe?

If the former, the Griffin and Blackjack need to target the Hussar, with the Jenner on the Spider and the Vulcan repositioning to assist if the Spider lasts the round.

Not enough movement points. Unless he runs, and the shot on the Hussar is already going to be hard. He's the only one who can get a good bead on it this turn though unless the Griffin breaks off the duel (seems like that's not happening).

Please show me where you'd want to shoot the hussar from that exposes your backside to the spider while not having any movement points to do anything about it and is better than any other position to shoot the hussar from.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Wouldn't a Combine captain have to commit seppuku if he disengaged from an honorable one on one duel if we didn't break it for him? Or wouldn't he at least be really likely to? I dunno if he'd willingly disengage if we stuck to terms.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Please show me where you'd want to shoot the hussar from that exposes your backside to the spider while not having any movement points to do anything about it and is better than any other position to shoot the hussar from.

Walking from 0809 to 0710 (2mp) turn right (1mp) walk to 0609 (1mp).

Anyway I was being dumb, he should just step backwards to 0909 like he already decided.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Now, I think we should honor the duel. We're obviously winning, this is not a problem. However! If we're going to break it, I should point out something very important.

The Vulcan has a jump of 6. It is 6 hexes from getting behind the Dragon. The Dragon has an open leg and is next to water. There are rules for pushing mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Longinus00 posted:

Or don't, since it's immaterial and I don't want to see a two-page flamewar. Thanks.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Tempest_56 posted:

Now, I think we should honor the duel. We're obviously winning, this is not a problem. However! If we're going to break it, I should point out something very important.

The Vulcan has a jump of 6. It is 6 hexes from getting behind the Dragon. The Dragon has an open leg and is next to water. There are rules for pushing mechs.

"EVERYBODY INTO THE POOL!" :haw:

Mukaikubo posted:

Wouldn't a Combine captain have to commit seppuku if he disengaged from an honorable one on one duel if we didn't break it for him? Or wouldn't he at least be really likely to? I dunno if he'd willingly disengage if we stuck to terms.

You are correct. By the standards of the DCMS, if you issue a formal challenge, it is accepted and held to, and you disengage because things don't go your way? Either you commit seppuku, or your CO has you :commissar:'d. That Dragon pilot's choices are now 'honorable death' or 'dishonorable death that shames his family for generations.'

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 29, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Depends on the whole honor thing I guess. Is getting scouting info back to base more important than his personal honor? If we take out the lights, that becomes the important question.

Tempest_56 posted:

Don't those rules take into account the weights of the mechs involved? The Dragon is twice the size of our Vulcan, I imagine that'd give it a bonus to resist or whatever.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Don't those rules take into account the weights of the mechs involved? The Dragon is twice the size of our Vulcan, I imagine that'd give it a bonus to resist or whatever.

Nope, push is a push.

You could also jump on the appropriate side back hex and try to kick the leg out. But pushing it to rot on the riverbed sounds much more interesting.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

You have enough movement points to do this the right way (walk up hill, then turn around) and that will avoid a piloting roll for walking up an incline backwards IIRC.

Unless you're backing into 0909, but 0710 looks like it's the better spot for getting to the Hussar next turn if it doesn't flee.

Edit: You know what? Those are level 1 hills, you can fire over them, yeah do that, back into 0909, maybe turn right so the Hussar isn't on your right (hard to tell at that angle) then you can open up on either mech.

0909 has no LOS to 0304.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

That's what I figured about the honor thing, AI. This is pre-Reforms, too, so they are hardcore about that stuff. So yeah, definitely honor the duel since we're almost certainly going to win. I'd say let the DFA target play with the Spider, and have the other two start softening up the Hussar just in case.

IDEA

Someone want to challenge the Hussar to a one on one duel?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
This is what I think.

1.) Stick to the original plan of taking down the scout lance

2.) Do the du-du-dueeeelll!

3.) rape the spider with combined arms :jihad:

sand chart below for yas

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

IDEA

This might not be a bad idea. I doubt it would accept a challenge from the Blackjack though, as even the borderline-suicidal pilots of the DCMS would be unwilling to engage a mech that superior. Maybe it would accept a fight with the Jenner or Vulcan, although they will have to be wary, as that Hussar is a drat fine shot.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 29, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

WarLocke posted:

Edit: If you guys want to honor the duel our Jenner can walk to 0812 which will put it within short range of the Spider for all its weapons.

Remember, just because the 'mech (or tank) is destroyed does not mean the pilots (or crews) are dead. The DCMS will recover them eventually, and when they do you have to ask yourself: what (belated) intelligence do you want them to relay about Morgan Kell's Dogs of War?

That they're honorless mongrels who accept a duel only to break it, who have no courage and no integrity, and should be killed at all costs, never afforded any quarter or respect...

Or that they're men and women of integrity and honor, who fight like indestructible masters of war who honor their word and their foes, and if defeated should be afforded the respect due to any worthy mechwarrior?

Your name is in the mouths of others. Make sure it has teeth, but don't let it be a vile curse to be spat with disgust and absolute emnity.

WarLocke posted:

He won't. He's in a duel, he won't it break off if he's the last 'mech standing. That would be a grave dishonor, and he'd sooner disembowel himself (literally.) Win or lose, he's going to be in no shape to pull a fighting retreat, so if he does win, or if his Dragon and your Griffon get hammered to the point they're plinking at one another, you might try offering him and honorable withdraw with the survivors of his lance. He's too slow to return to his forces fast enough to bring them the intel on you that you killed the hovertanks to prevent getting back.

I think you've got this in the bag if you can mop up the lights.

Mukaikubo posted:

Only if you offered to let him go without loss of honor, and then he might or might not decide to accept it. Things like this (being able to end a battle early by offering to let the other guy leave without losing face) are the advantages of maintaining your own honorable reputation.

That will come in real handy later on when facing the Clans. Heigira, anyone?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

You could also jump on the appropriate side back hex and try to kick the leg out. But pushing it to rot on the riverbed sounds much more interesting.

Exactly. If we're going to break an honor duel, we might as well do it and finish him in the most humiliating way we can. By crippling him with a river and letting him drown when he tries to eject. (And get a free Dragon in the process!)

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

That's what I figured about the honor thing, AI. This is pre-Reforms, too, so they are hardcore about that stuff. So yeah, definitely honor the duel since we're almost certainly going to win. I'd say let the DFA target play with the Spider, and have the other two start softening up the Hussar just in case.

IDEA

That isn't a bad idea in theory? But the Hussar pilot has to ACCEPT the duel for it to be binding, and he's already rabbiting from this fight, probably on orders from the Dragon pilot since he knows the Griffin has him beaten. It's unlikely he'd accept, especially considering there's little honor to be won since we're just mercs.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That will come in real handy later on when facing the Clans. Heigira, anyone?

oh god i haven't heard that word in years but i felt shivers from it!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

oh god i haven't heard that word in years but i felt shivers from it!

Hold on, hold on: "Zellbrigen". Mmm.

Also, Draconis warriors are a tricky lot. It couldn't hurt for, say, the Jenner to challenge him, I think our Jenner could take out that Hussar. If he declines, we know he's about to bolt and can focus fire on him.

Ninja edit: And yeah, I really like the idea of helping make our mech unit be perceived as "one of the good ones." :unsmith:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Sent my orders in. Not planning on anything fancy, just keeping this perch and firing my weapons. Two stationary mechs at medium range gives my LRM a very solid chance at gimping that leg with a critical. Also, if I get really lucky and my PPC also hits that leg, we could have some good salvage after this :shobon:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

This is what I think.

1.) Stick to the original plan of taking down the scout lance

2.) Do the du-du-dueeeelll!

3.) rape the spider with combined arms :jihad:

sand chart below for yas

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

I assume that to mean I'm jumpjetting and lighting up K2?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Hold on, hold on: "Zellbrigen". Mmm.

Oh baby, talk conlang to me. :swoon:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Ninja edit: And yeah, I really like the idea of helping make our mech unit be perceived as "one of the good ones." :unsmith:

Without Wolf's Dragoons and with the Gray Death Legion having royally screwed the pooch on Helm, your only real competition is the Northwind Highlanders.

Just remember not to take any contract from the Combine. They get pissy if you decide not to renew. Speaking of which, was it even mentioned who your current contract was with? If so, I've forgotten.

There has to be one, of course. Nobody's stupid enough to go and poke a Successor State on their own for shits and giggles, least of all the Dragon.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Mukaikubo posted:

The Raven would be an entertaining next writeup, especially when done from a "Liao" perspective. Bros be crazy.

I think the Raven would be good, but the Cataphract has more potential for hilarity.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Without Wolf's Dragoons and with the Gray Death Legion having royally screwed the pooch on Helm, your only real competition is the Northwind Highlanders.

Just remember not to take any contract from the Combine. They get pissy if you decide not to renew. Speaking of which, was it even mentioned who your current contract was with? If so, I've forgotten.

There has to be one, of course. Nobody's stupid enough to go and poke a Successor State on their own for shits and giggles, least of all the Dragon.

We're fighting on behalf of the Fed Suns right now.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Right now the Kell Hounds are on drat near permanent retainer to House Davion: Morgan Kell got implicated somehow in Katrina Steiner's death, so they fled to FedSuns territory in exchange for Hanse Davion basically getting to use them as his personal poo poo-stirring squadron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

We are in bed with Hanse Davion right now. I think he will treat us well.

Pladdicus posted:

I assume that to mean I'm jumpjetting and lighting up K2?
Seems like the best chance for you to get back into the combat this turn. Look on the plus side: You really don't need to worry about heat management anymore, and can basically jump around all you want. Just remember that it will murder your accuracy, especially against fast moving light mechs.

• Locked thread