Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Only for this round, until I'm back into things. How much heat do jumpjets generate?

Edit: Quick, someone find me a picture of ponies to make this new page right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Agent Interrobang posted:

Oh baby, talk conlang to me. :swoon:

Aff, ristar. The Oathmaster has confirmed your rede; you will participate in the coming batchall.

:quagmire:

Pladdicus posted:

Only for this round, until I'm back into things. How much heat do jumpjets generate?

IIRC, 1 heat per hex jumped with a minimum of 3.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

WarLocke posted:

Aff, ristar. The Oathmaster has confirmed your rede; you will participate in the coming batchall.

:swoon: Maybe I should dig up some of those other novels I have in a box at the bottom of my closet. So much nostalgia right now...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I wouldn't screw around with dueling the Hussar; a large laser with THAT Gunnery skill is too likely to get a lucky nasty shot off on a single guy fighting him. Given how pathetic his armor is and how fast he moves, better to maximize the number of shots on him; he will pretty much go bye-bye with any kind of hits to sensitive areas. Though I wouldn't break the duel with the Dragon either; right now minus him getting a lucky shot I think your Griffen has a definite edge. He can't exactly run away himself after all; even if he had the speed he'd be massively dishonored as mentioned. Spider-man unless he has a REALLY good Pilot check is most likely about to face-plant; I can't recall a Death From Above attack ever working well, and this guy is barely gonna do above a medium laser's damage if he does hit.

And for folks who want some additional background info, check out some of the links here, particularly the House books near the top of the page, those sum up things fairly well to the present game date with a few recent exceptions.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

I assume that to mean I'm jumpjetting and lighting up K2?

Yupe thats my idea at least, the spider has paper thin armor

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
That spider jumping directly in front of me is going to take my PPC blast meant for the Dragon and we will be forever branded as dezgra mercenaries for breaking an honor duel. :smith:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

WarLocke posted:

I imagined that in the voice of Pam Grier, and it was glorious. I FIGHT AND DIE AT YOUR COMMAND, MY KHAN. :shlick:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I imagined that in the voice of Pam Grier, and it was glorious. I FIGHT AND DIE AT YOUR COMMAND, MY KHAN. :shlick:

no love for mw4:mercs? "Aff lead!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfR6w0ljrFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FayoajyRaKA

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 29, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

KnoxZone posted:

That spider jumping directly in front of me is going to take my PPC blast meant for the Dragon and we will be forever branded as dezgra mercenaries for breaking an honor duel. :smith:

Lucky for you people in the battletech universe only fire once everyone else has finished moving!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Axe-man posted:

no love for mw4:mercs? "Aff lead!"

That is one of my absolute favorite missions/results of any MW game. 8 IS mechs versus two full stars of Clan heavies. No terrain. No subtlety. Just a loving brutal all out war on the beach. And if you win, you get the best mechwarrior in the game as a free employee, and she talks purty. :3:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

God damnit. Reinstalling MW4Mercs now...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Right now the Kell Hounds are on drat near permanent retainer to House Davion: Morgan Kell got implicated somehow in Katrina Steiner's death, so they fled to FedSuns territory in exchange for Hanse Davion basically getting to use them as his personal poo poo-stirring squadron.

Well, until Caesar Steiner enlists them to rescue the REAL Hanse Davion from the CC.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

I did the same a few weeks ago, welcome to the joy :black101:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

WarLocke posted:

Also MW4 Mercs is freeware now with extra mechs.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

wargames posted:

Also MW4 Mercs is freeware now with extra mechs.

Stupidly overpowered mechs.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gothsheep posted:

Stupidly overpowered mechs.

Hunchback 2c is the best.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

wargames posted:

Hunchback 2c is the best.

Or that damned Annihilator loaded with LBX-AC/20s that you used to completely destroy everything in that multiplayer match we played....

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

We are in bed with Hanse Davion right now. I think he will treat us well.

No sweety, it's our fault, we just have to fight harder. He only hits us because he loves us. :saddowns:

That part of MW4:Mercs was awesome. Pounding through the jungle and beach with night vision on in (if you did the Solaris IV missions) a brand new Fafnir. That's usually around the part of the game where you're first really able to field a pair of heavy/assault lances, and poo poo gets real fast.

Looking back that game got pretty easy due to the ability to choose where your hits landed to a great degree. A telescopic sight and pair of Heavy Gauss Rifles were just a really unfair combination to throw at the AI. Once I got the Fafnir I would reload missions just to obliterate everything again. "Looks like I sniped your Star Commander's reactor core again trashbirth scum!" :smug:

And yeah getting the classic "Inner Sphere sucks" speech from that Jade Falcon woman made taking her as bondsman super satisfying.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Gothsheep posted:

Or that damned Annihilator loaded with LBX-AC/20s that you used to completely destroy everything in that multiplayer match we played....

We need to get a few people together to play a match,since it is free now it is even easier for everyone to get :jihad:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gothsheep posted:

That was balanced.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Axe-man posted:

We need to get a few people together to play a match,since it is free now it is even easier for everyone to get :jihad:

Oh! Yes definitely. I've been tooling around in a Marauder, loaded up with 3 PPCs, 2 Heavy Medium Lasers, and 1 ER Medium Pulse Laser for tanks and choppers. It is super fun, and relatively good at sniping holes in torsos. I'm not very good, though. Still get my rear end handed to me more often than I'd like on Regular difficulty. There isn't a thread for Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, right? I want to see what builds other people use.

Edit: I've never liked using ballistic weapons; they seem a bit too heavy for me. Plus, ammo issues are terrible since I have terrible aim in that game.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Mukaikubo posted:

That is one of my absolute favorite missions/results of any MW game. 8 IS mechs versus two full stars of Clan heavies. No terrain. No subtlety. Just a loving brutal all out war on the beach. And if you win, you get the best mechwarrior in the game as a free employee, and she talks purty. :3:

Oh man, I loving loved that fight.

I don't know what you're talking about, though. The pilots may have been from the Inner Sphere, but by the time I got there I was running two full lances of Clan Omnimechs. :)

It was a much fairer fight than the Jade Falcons would have liked. Perhaps that's why there was absolutely no effort made to adhere to Zelbreigen other than showing up at the appointed time and place for the throw-down.

(It couldn't possibly be because the coders were too stupid/lazy to include any code for 1v1 duels and challenges and poo poo, could it have been?)

The most hilarious thing is how, after you whoop her and take her as a Bondsman (and I seriously did not know that was going to happen the first time, I was just really really hoping to get a Clan Bondsman out of it,) Falcon doesn't even pay lip service to the Clan RoE.

Order everyone (including her) to focus their fire? Sure, no problem. :downs:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

No sweety, it's our fault, we just have to fight harder. He only hits us because he loves us. :saddowns:

That part of MW4:Mercs was awesome. Pounding through the jungle and beach with night vision on in (if you did the Solaris IV missions) a brand new Fafnir. That's usually around the part of the game where you're first really able to field a pair of heavy/assault lances, and poo poo gets real fast.

Looking back that game got pretty easy due to the ability to choose where your hits landed to a great degree. A telescopic sight and pair of Heavy Gauss Rifles were just a really unfair combination to throw at the AI. Once I got the Fafnir I would reload missions just to obliterate everything again. "Looks like I sniped your Star Commander's reactor core again trashbirth scum!" :smug:

And yeah getting the classic "Inner Sphere sucks" speech from that Jade Falcon woman made taking her as bondsman super satisfying.

I have a soft spot for Falcon. I always captured her Mad Cat Mk.II, rearmed it to standard specs and put her back in it.

However, I don't want to derail the thread to an MW4:Merc talk...Especially when Wargames still has a thread on that game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Order everyone (including her) to focus their fire? Sure, no problem. :downs:

She seems to always be in a foul mood when she's responding to your orders, though. Or just really really laconic.

Edit:

Gothsheep posted:

However, I don't want to derail the thread to an MW4:Merc talk...Especially when Wargames still has a thread on that game.

Wait, poo poo. Really? Oops.

I can't find it. Can someone provide a link, please? :saddowns:

2x Edit: VVVVVVVVV Is it in the archives now?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 29, 2011

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gothsheep posted:

I have a soft spot for Falcon. I always captured her Mad Cat Mk.II, rearmed it to standard specs and put her back in it.

That LP got finished, I am on new lps now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Artificer posted:

She seems to always be in a foul mood when she's responding to your orders, though.

I think she was voiced by the same actor who did the laconic southerner pilot too. Maybe you're getting them confused or the actor let them bleed together a little?

Honestly if you were a Jade Falcon Star Colonel I doubt you would be very pleased to go work for a mercenary franchise for the rest of your life.

(I thought the idea of merc franchisers was pretty amusing. Okay, you have a dropship and a lance of mechs? Cool, you're in the Gray Death Legion now. Here are some complimentary decals for your Mechs. Just don't... call us or talk to us ever. Kay?)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 29, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I think she was voiced by the same actor who did the laconic southerner pilot too. Maybe you're getting them confused or the actor let them bleed together a little?

Honestly if you were a Jade Falcon Star Colonel I doubt you would be very pleased to go work for a mercenary franchise for the rest of your life.

There's a laconic southerner pilot? Huh. Never hired her, I think. And true, I doubt she'd be pleased.

I like placing interesting sounding pilots in my lances just for their amusing comments. Claymore, Black Jack, and such.

Edit: Beat the game for the 2nd time today (once again on regular). Missed a couple missions that I did last run, maybe because I did some Steiner missions I didn't do before? In any case they wouldn't unlock for me. I miss that one fun one where you have to run in to a base after your allies distract the defenders, scan two buildings, and then run like hell while the turrets all turn around and open up on you.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Artificer posted:

Oh! Yes definitely. I've been tooling around in a Marauder, loaded up with 3 PPCs, 2 Heavy Medium Lasers, and 1 ER Medium Pulse Laser for tanks and choppers. It is super fun, and relatively good at sniping holes in torsos. I'm not very good, though. Still get my rear end handed to me more often than I'd like on Regular difficulty. There isn't a thread for Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, right? I want to see what builds other people use.

Edit: I've never liked using ballistic weapons; they seem a bit too heavy for me. Plus, ammo issues are terrible since I have terrible aim in that game.

Try it stock guys and learn the fun of rocking mechs with actual disadvantages :c00l:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Try it stock guys and learn the fun of rocking mechs with actual disadvantages :c00l:

I think the only way I managed to beat the game on regular twice was thanks to customizing mechs that fit my playstyle....and that may or may not have been completely broken. :downs:

Edit: Maybe I should do a stock only run. Perhaps on a higher difficulty. With the Highlanders, of course, since I need the extra dough to fund my constant repairs.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Artificer posted:

She seems to always be in a foul mood when she's responding to your orders, though. Or just really really laconic.

I just reckoned that the stick in her rear end was standard-issue for Clan MechWarriors and was impossible to extricate via medical or psychiatric methods.

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought the idea of merc franchisers was pretty amusing. Okay, you have a dropship and a lance of mechs? Cool, you're in the Gray Death Legion now. Here are some complimentary decals for your Mechs. Just don't... call us or talk to us ever. Kay?

That would be described as the "wrong way" to go about ensuring your mercenary outfit has a good reputation. Of course, it's understandable; they wanted the player to have freedom of mission choice and such, which a "normal" member of a mercenary company (like in MW4:BK) wouldn't have (you go where the boss tells you.)

I always thought it would be more akin to an "independent command:" IE, you're an exceptionally talented member of the unit, you get a dropship and a Lance of battlemechs and you're told to go off and raise money for the unit, send back your cut and if you roger the pooch they'll have you called back (or at the least declare you renegade if you refuse to come back.)

Either way it's kind of stupid, but I guess they couldn't just cast you in the role as the commander of one such unit, since (a) that commander was canon, and (b) you'd have no reason to go futzing around in Lights on a backwater world when you're in charge of a gigantic mercenary outfit and can just order some peons to do that for you.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Artificer posted:

I think the only way I managed to beat the game on regular twice was thanks to customizing mechs that fit my playstyle....and that may or may not have been completely broken. :downs:

Edit: Maybe I should do a stock only run. Perhaps on a higher difficulty. With the Highlanders, of course, since I need the extra dough to fund my constant repairs.

I've beaten the game on elite i usually rock veteran, it is all about rolling your torso and spreading the damage, yes you can even do this against the level 9 bots. now protecting poo poo? harder but possible.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Ah yes, Mercenaries, where an IS Mercenary can defeat 5 bloodnamed clan warriors in a Trial of Position with contemptuous ease. Suck on that, Phelan :colbert:

The game still owns

AtlantisMantis
Feb 8, 2008

aut vincere aut mori
All this MW4 talk reminds me that I still need to mod that Steel Battalion controller I have.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I kinda wish they had just had you leaving a merc unit to start up your own business. Only the commander and the adjutant are canon, so you could put in any regiment name you wanted and the game wouldn't change it at all. You can put tartan on your mechs even if you aren't in the Northwind Highlanders, so you've already got basically every advantage of being part of an established merc unit anyway.

KnoxZone posted:

Ah yes, Mercenaries, where an IS Mercenary can defeat 5 bloodnamed clan warriors in a Trial of Position with contemptuous ease.

When did that happen? The AI isn't great but it's not so bad that a 5 on 1 fight isn't murderously difficult.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 29, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

I'd be interested in this, but I have to re-teach myself how to play; I probably haven't loaded it up for a couple years now.

And it's going to suck having to play at 1600x1200 when I'm used to 1920x1080, Mercs is getting long in the tooth. :v:

Also, is there a way to patch the retail game to the free version with all the mekpacks and junk, or should I just go ahead and redownload everything?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

I'd be interested in this, but I have to re-teach myself how to play; I probably haven't loaded it up for a couple years now.

And it's going to suck having to play at 1600x1200 when I'm used to 1920x1080, Mercs is getting long in the tooth. :v:

Also, is there a way to patch the retail game to the free version with all the mekpacks and junk, or should I just go ahead and redownload everything?

go to mektek and it will actually allow you to play most of the game in 1920x1080 :v:

http://www.mektek.net/index.php/home/articles/mechwarrior4-mercenaries-downloads-r1204

if you download the client it will let you even download the whole game since it is now abandonware :legion:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I kinda wish they had just had you leaving a merc unit to start up your own business. Only the commander and the adjutant are canon, so you could put in any regiment name you wanted and the game wouldn't change it at all. You can put tartan on your mechs even if you aren't in the Northwind Highlanders, so you've already got basically every advantage of being part of an established merc unit anyway.

When did that happen? The AI isn't great but it's not so bad that a 5 on 1 fight isn't murderously difficult.

It's in the super secret mission. You fight them one at a time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KnoxZone posted:

We are in bed with Hanse Davion right now. I think he will treat us well.

... All right, but only provided he remembers to keep his drat pants on while spooning. We have to retain some dignity here. :colbert:

So with our Griffin currently engaged in his duel and our Blackjack about to play kick the can with the Spider, what are the odds on our Jenner and Vulcan geting off some shots and hopefully either crippling or outright killing the Hussar before it gets away (on the assumption that it is trying to get away)?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

It's in the super secret mission. You fight them one at a time.

which mission? i've forgotten it... or maybe never did it D:

btw i'm tooling around with the mektek changes in a LLJK-SA-AXE-MAN

password Blackjack if anyone wants to kick around the can in mercs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

which mission? i've forgotten it... or maybe never did it D:

The final Steiner mission.

You need to join Clan Wolf to give Khan Ward the location where Katrina is held. In order to join Clan Wolf you need to win a Trial of Position.

• Locked thread