Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Yadoppsi posted:

It's been a while since I read LAoK, but in the final Logan chapter, doesn't Black Dow rattle off the ways Ninefingers is worse than him?

He did and he was completely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

Yadoppsi posted:

It's been a while since I read LAoK, but in the final Logan chapter, doesn't Black Dow rattle off the ways Ninefingers is worse than him?

Also, don't forget that the Bethod actually points out it was Logan and his blood lust (can't remember if it was Logan or Ninefingers) that made him continue to fight all the Northern Tribes.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Logen in his youth was probably every bit the monster Fenris was, but with more relish, however he seems to want to be better, and carries a whole bunch of regret around with him. a lot of the third book was caught up with how he was attempting to atone for past sins, realising he couldn't, so resolving just to try his best.

Dow is Black Dow, was Black Down and will be Black Dow. He doesn't regret anything, and wants more than he has.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Koryk posted:

Anyone else listen to the audiobooks and been annoyed by the discrepancy between the representations of...

This is why I never listen to fiction as an audiobook. In general, I don't listen to audiobooks at all. But if I do, never fiction. What I hear from the person doing the reading just never meshes with what I have in my head, ever. And God forbid it's a series and the reader changes between books. That just totally sucks.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
On Logen, The Bloody-Nine, and Best Served Cold Spoilers :

I thought the Bloody-Nine was just a personality disorder until somebody on this board said Logen might be possessed. That didn't fit well with me until Best Served Cold came along, and in that book there is a scene where the North man Shivers goes into a blood rage, and starts saying the same things the Bloody-Nine says : I am the Great Leveller and all that. Shivers even remarks that it is the Bloody-Nine's words coming out of his mouth before he starts cutting his enemies to shreds. That certainly seems to point to either a curse of the North Men, or that Logen was possessed by some kind of demon (which I guess suggests that he died before Best Served Cold) or something. It seemed to indicate that a lot of the Bloody-Nine's badness wasn't Logen's fault at all. At least to me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

PonchtheJedi posted:

I thought the Bloody-Nine was just a personality disorder until somebody on this board said Logen might be possessed. That didn't fit well with me until Best Served Cold came along, and in that book there is a scene where the North man Shivers goes into a blood rage, and starts saying the same things the Bloody-Nine says : I am the Great Leveller and all that. Shivers even remarks that it is the Bloody-Nine's words coming out of his mouth before he starts cutting his enemies to shreds. That certainly seems to point to either a curse of the North Men, or that Logen was possessed by some kind of demon (which I guess suggests that he died before Best Served Cold) or something. It seemed to indicate that a lot of the Bloody-Nine's badness wasn't Logen's fault at all. At least to me.

I agree. Also, Logen is able to communicate with the spirits, so it's already established that he has some sort of link to forces like that.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Even without the Bloody Nine going on it sounds like Logan was kind of a prick in the bad old days though. Just less ally murdering.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Look at all of you, with your regular hardcovers or even paperbacks - I just preordered my signed/numbered copy of Before They Are Hanged :smug:.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ornamented Death posted:

Look at all of you, with your regular hardcovers or even paperbacks - I just preordered my signed/numbered copy of Before They Are Hanged :smug:.

I hear those are covered in poison. You'd better have it shipped to me so I can make sure it's safe for you.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ornamented Death posted:

Look at all of you with your paper books, second hand tree genocide. I just use ebooks because I don't hate the environment. :smugdog:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bummey posted:

Look at all of you with your paper books, second hand tree genocide. I just use ebooks because I don't hate the environment. :smugdog:

I hate the environment so I purchase a separate kindle to read each book on then mail them to China to be burned in an open ditch by children for their trace amounts of precious metals.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I'd buy a Kindle today if Publishers weren't following the RIAA's example by fighting the adoption of new technology tooth and nail.

More than half the time there's a book I want to read, it's not available on eBook.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
By the way, the Kindle edition of Best Served Cold is only 2.99 right now and has been for a while.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not only do I hate trees, I also hate cows - I have several leather-bound books.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

PonchtheJedi posted:

I took this as Shivers going kind of crazy. This happens after the fake duel, maybe for a minute he thought he was Logen. He also saw Logen fight a bunch of times, so when he goes into his own crazy psychotic rage he starts talking Logen did.

I really hope Logen isn't dead, and comes back in Heroes.

THe book, not the TV show.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just got an email from Amazon that "The Heroes" will be arriving on January 27th instead of February 9th. This makes me extremely happy.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Look what arrived in my small bookstore in Norway today. :)

Brydinut
Dec 20, 2006

I ordered The Heroes from Amazon UK because I want consistent covers and I was excited to notice it shipped today.

Estimated arrival: February 15, 2011. :saddowns:

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
Oh wow, didn't realize this was out this week already. Welp, time to power read through the last half of Way of Kings. Thanks to Amazon prime, I can get this in 2 days.

Or I'll just get it instantly on my Kindle.

:smug:

But I wish I had a set with the Brit covers. Those rock.

Edit: That's what I get for being smug. Can't get it on Kindle til Feb 7th. Boo.

Khatib fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2011

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've decided to delay my purchase of the book until the 10th of February, as I'll be able to get a signed copy of it from the man himself. I can wait until then.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I ended up reading Best Served Cold first, and enjoyed it enough to grab the trilogy afterwards. It was enjoyable spotting things from BSC I hadn't understood as I read through, like (spoilered in case I'm not vague enough) who the Cripple was (a real 'I'm slow' moment), the Eastern Wind's dead brother, and the King's preference for that particular hair colour. Made the reread even better.

I should get Heroes delivered sometime tomorrow, if everything goes to plan.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Did Abercrombie say that next up will be a trilogy?
Could be about the soon to be Styria-Union war...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Barbe Rouge posted:

Did Abercrombie say that next up will be a trilogy?
Could be about the soon to be Styria-Union war...

He said that the next book will be another stand alone, followed by a trilogy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone else reading through The Heroes right now?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Hughmoris posted:

Not until February 11th, you rat bastard! :argh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hughmoris posted:

I got the ebook yesterday, but I'm trying to finish The Way of Kings first.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Hughmoris posted:

Well? Any non-spoilery things to say about how you're liking it?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Hughmoris posted:

Why would I do that when I finished it months ago :smug:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished 'Last Argument of Kings' last night.

My reaction went something like this:

:stare:
:aaa:
:aaaaa:
:tviv:
:cry:

Goddamn, what a way to turn everything on its head. Good thing I'm a 40k goon, so I like the grimdark stuff. Can't wait to read the next Abercrombie book.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I got my copy of The Heroes but I really wanna read through the trilogy again to get a recap on some of the characters. Well, that and the fact that it is completely awesome.

Maybe I should just take the plunge and read through Heroes anyhow.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

A Nice Boy posted:

Well? Any non-spoilery things to say about how you're liking it?

I finished the book at about 0230 this morning. I have a habit of powering through my first reading of a good book, then going back and re-reading multiple times to find small details and nuances that were missed. I'm not comfortable enough yet to give a full critique but I'll give you some broad strokes...

This is a great book, well worth the price of admission. You will not find any surprises in Abercrombie's writing style or themes but that is not a bad thing. He is slowly perfecting his craft and I believe it shows with the amount of polish on this book. My main non-spoiler complaint is that I wish it was longer. I think I was spoiled by his First Law trilogy.

I have a few other minor critiques but they are better left for darker discussions with those who have read the book. I will post those thoughts when I have a little time. For those who haven't yet read it and are eager to know any spoilers about characters or plots, I'll be happy to answer.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 30, 2011

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Whirrun of Bligh making sandwiches all day everyday a true hero.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

a review from amazon:

quote:

"Another war," Clod Threetimes growled, "for another king who doesn't give crap for us. Seems a bit pointless, it does."
"Maybe," Nosegay shot back, "but do you want to be the one to let Tarry Blackstool down? Tell him how pointless his throne is!"
"Or maybe you want to take his place," Chug Beerbreath added, grinning as the fire shot sparks onto the toes of his deerskin boots. "King being such an easy job in a fantasy novel and all." He spat into the flames and resumed honing the edge of his axe.
"Not me," Clod said, rubbing his hands over the fire. His fingers hurt at night, but the fire helped with the worst of it. "I'm too old for that kind of thing. I only wish..." He trailed off. What exactly did he wish? For the return of his friends from the mud? For the vigor of his youth, in his sword arm and loins? For the chance to take a good dump without worrying about getting an arrow in his back?
The youngster's snotty attitude almost roiled Clod's temper; almost, but not quite. "I only wish," he went on, "that I wasn't spending another 600 pages in something that sounds like a drat out-take."
That put Nosegay back a bit. He leaned his sword on the boulder next to him, stroked his beard, and admitted, "You speak true there, Threetimes. I picked up on that myself. For at least a chapter I've been wondering why we all keep speaking in these war-weary tones. Aye, I've grown weary of all this war-weariness, and I expect a few readers have, as well."
Clod scratched the scars along his rib cage. "Back in the old days," he mused, "a book started with a proper thumping to someone. Something that got your blood racing. Like the Bloody Nine jumping off a cliff to save his hide, or two wonder-kids getting thrown off a cliff, but not the same cliff as the Bloody Nine. Which would have been a hell of a coincidence, when you think about it."
"That's how an adventure ought to start," the Chugger agreed. "Not like nowadays, when books start with a bunch of bit players trading menacing glances and tough-guy dialog, shuffling here and there until they get lost in bloody battle scenes with no point." He looked up at the grizzled Named Character. "Do you think those days will ever come again?"
"Days don't come back," Clod said. "At least not as long as Abercrombie continues milking the same world and characters that he already used to death twice before, without adding anything new. Even Bayaz just seems to be going through the motions nowadays. He's ever tossing his staff down in undignified ways and speaking brusquely and rudely, like Basil Fawlty with a bad hangover."
"We need some new ideas," Beerbreath muttered, "we surely do, but only Abercrombie can give us them." He heaved a sigh. "Until he does, we're just a bunch of well-written but one-dimensional swordsmen, trying to convince ourselves that this big war isn't just a fistfight between two bullies, played out on a grand scale."
"Or a money-making scheme," Threetimes agreed. Chug barked harsh laughter in response.
"At least this time I'll probably get laid," Nosegay said hopefully. "And in a very detailed, even gratuitous, way, Gods willing. That's a treat, even for a fictional character. I only hope she doesn't come on to me in a stilted and unconvincing manner, as if she were being paid to tart it up like --"
His remark was cut off as an arrow pierced his right eye, sending his flopping corpse tumbling into the darkness. Screams erupted from beyond the stone ring as a squadron of Tarry Blackstool's deadliest clichés sprang their trap. Beerbreath swung his axe about his head, roaring his battle-belch, while Clod sighed and thrust his sword between the ribs of yet another opponent. If only there was a point...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Barbe Rouge posted:

a review from amazon:

That review is almost spot on. While it is a great book and I enjoyed reading it, for me its the least favorite of the 5 he has written so far. In a gist, I really didn't care about what happened to any of the main characters. Maybe it is because they are one-dimensional, or maybe it is because he tried to fit so many into one book. I'm holding my breath for his next trilogy, not so much on the next stand-alone.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Also, for those in the states, go check your local bookstore. I found The Heroes on the shelf today at a Barnes N' Noble in Florida.

tborell
Oct 23, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Also, for those in the states, go check your local bookstore. I found The Heroes on the shelf today at a Barnes N' Noble in Florida.

I just got it for my Kindle.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does Ninefingers show up? I don't want any more detail than that, just a 'yes' or 'no,' please.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Does Ninefingers show up? I don't want any more detail than that, just a 'yes' or 'no,' please.

No. I am still sad about that

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I am suddenly a million less times pumped for The Heroes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tborell
Oct 23, 2008

IRQ posted:

I am suddenly a million less times pumped for The Heroes :(

come on, shivers is nearly as good :supaburn: