Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Well, I got three more cars done for my 20th Century Limited. I know they're kinda samey, but here you go anyway:

The 20th Century Limited had two "Shore" series mid-train club-lounge cars in its post-1948 consists. These cars contained, apart from the lounge, a barber, typing services and a radio phone. They were withdrawn from service in 1958, and later sold to Rock Island.

My version currently lacks an interior, and will not get one until I determine if the locomotives can handle the extra weight.

This car features 6 double bedrooms and 10 "roomettes." Where normal sleeper cars would have a passage on one side and the rooms on the other, roomettes were small enough to have the passage in the middle and rooms on both sides. They were very, very small.

This is more of a traditional all double bedroom car.

Also, I have been working on a building for my club's city layout. I don't have the parts to finish it, so here it is 90 percent done:

It's inspired by this one on the northeast corner of 13th and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
Amazing work! I love your color choices. I don't even want to ask what you had to spend on those small dark red plates though...buying & selling on Bricklink I have a good understanding that those pieces are not generally cheap.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Shup, seriously you make my brain explode. I wouldn't even know were to begin to build on the level you do.

and yes, bricklink is an evil thing, almost as bad as ebay.

That being said I am going to pick up a 4561 set I got from trolling the local craigslist ads. Its missing 2 curve track bits but is other wise complete, Like most train guys I've got curved track in abundance.

I've also found and joined a local LUG. Its fairly new but with a little help it should grow.

e: just spent $40 on bricklink, its a sickness I swear.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 29, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Every time this thread gets re-named, it takes me forever to find it.

And who told Lego to take away identifying barcodes on the series 3 minifigure bags?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Red posted:

And who told Lego to take away identifying barcodes on the series 3 minifigure bags?

Yeah, even with the dot codes I've been wrong a couple times and I've put back a ton of packages that I couldn't even begin to identify.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Lord Gold posted:

Amazing work! I love your color choices. I don't even want to ask what you had to spend on those small dark red plates though...buying & selling on Bricklink I have a good understanding that those pieces are not generally cheap.

Thanks! I got really lucky with the 1x2 plates. I bought them on Bricklink twice for $.008 and $.006 a piece a couple years back. At that price they were, stud-for-stud, the cheapest way to buy dark red plate or brick at the time. They're much more expensive now, though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Speaking of Bricklink, I see things list New and Used. I don't care if the pieces I find are a bit old, but I'd rather they not be chewed on. I'm sure it depends on the seller and maybe I'm just paranoid, but does 'new' mean never-used or just like-new or am I going to get nomnomed pieces no matter what I do?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Generally if they're chewed up a seller will say so in the listing, or just not sell it if it's damaged enough. I would consider 'new' to mean it's blemish-free but possibly played with, and used to mean it might have a dent or discoloration.

And yeah, that is a great looking building Shup, the plates give it the perfect brick look and I can tell you're loving all those tan cheese wedges.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Shuppiluliumas posted:

It's inspired by this one on the northeast corner of 13th and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia.

Goddamn, that makes my fingertips hurt just to look at all of those 1x2 plates.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sloppy posted:

What do Lego and GTA have in common?

Parents whine about the violence

http://www.theroot.com/views/lego-prison-industrial-complex-toy?wpsrc=OB00000001&wpisrc=obnetwork

Christ, that pisses me off. I cannot believe that a grown woman with children can look at a toy and think, "Oh, well, this idolizes the prison-industrial complex."

God forbid the learns of the Wild West line, because clearly that idolizes the systematic destruction of the Native American culture and brutal frontier justice inflicted upon misunderstood card sharks and bank robbers.

I'd like to see what toys she is happy with - I bet we could come up with quite a bit of moral outrage over them.

But most of all, it pisses me off because that poor kid has to deal with it. Protecting your kids from some of the crueler realities of the world is fine. Projecting your own politics onto their playtime is pretty ridiculous.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Christ, that pisses me off. I cannot believe that a grown woman with children can look at a toy and think, "Oh, well, this idolizes the prison-industrial complex."

God forbid the learns of the Wild West line, because clearly that idolizes the systematic destruction of the Native American culture and brutal frontier justice inflicted upon misunderstood card sharks and bank robbers.

I'd like to see what toys she is happy with - I bet we could come up with quite a bit of moral outrage over them.

But most of all, it pisses me off because that poor kid has to deal with it. Protecting your kids from some of the crueler realities of the world is fine. Projecting your own politics onto their playtime is pretty ridiculous.

Perhaps the best part of it, is that this is more or less a revisit to a set made a few years ago. Why wasn't she flipping poo poo then.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

This was posted in the comments.

http://spacepolice.lego.com/en-us/products/5984.aspx

I could see why someone might make a fuss out of this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

President Kucinich posted:

Holy poo poo, Lego is awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Best $40 I've ever spent.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Yeah, so this kid is every so slightly out of his mind, but I can't argue with his results.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
That sure is a lot of dark gray. The helmet is quite convincing too.

Speaking of Halo, I keep seeing the megablock figures and (gasp) am tempted by them. But then I see the stuff from Brickarms and would prefer to buy that. But then I remember there's a bunch of stuff on Bricklink I'd rather shop for. It's a vicious cycle that means I'll never have any lego Halo stuff :sweatdrop:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

InfinEight posted:

That sure is a lot of dark gray. The helmet is quite convincing too.

Speaking of Halo, I keep seeing the megablock figures and (gasp) am tempted by them. But then I see the stuff from Brickarms and would prefer to buy that. But then I remember there's a bunch of stuff on Bricklink I'd rather shop for. It's a vicious cycle that means I'll never have any lego Halo stuff :sweatdrop:

The little Halo guys and Iron Men are actually pretty fantastic. Their set design is still kinda dicey and the piece quality feels off, but Mega Bloks doesn't suck nearly as bad as it used to.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Karma Tornado posted:

The little Halo guys and Iron Men are actually pretty fantastic. Their set design is still kinda dicey and the piece quality feels off, but Mega Bloks doesn't suck nearly as bad as it used to.

What is this poo poo? Am I hearing megablocks apologism in my lego sticklebricks thread? :stare:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The actual "bloks," if you will, have absolutely poo poo tolerances but their minifigures own.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blue Moonlight posted:

Someone should send her a link to that Lego Auschwitz and see if they can get her to believe it's an official Europe-exclusive set.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Best $40 I've ever spent.
Psh, best $22 each I've ever spent :c00lbert:

Wish I'd bought more, because it's amazing :smith:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Knormal posted:

Someone should send her a link to that Lego Auschwitz and see if they can get her to believe it's an official Europe-exclusive set.

Link me to it :)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ohhhhhhhh poo poo, I've been wanting to pick up some for a while and now I think I know what set I'll try to get.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's the same set that got me back in. Little alien space pimp is so cute.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Link me to it :)

I think this is what he means.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/11/20/nazi-death-camp-in-lego/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

No, there was an artist a while back that made mock-up boxes of Lego concentration camps. All the Jews were skeletons and he actually got to use the official Lego logo on them, which would go a long way toward convincing somebody they were official sets. I don't have a link handy, although heck it might have been in this very thread that I saw it.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Oh right, those.

http://raster.art.pl/gallery/artists/libera/libera_lego.htm

Cuting bricks? Much worse than a minifig holocaust.

It honestly kind of annoys me that the guy gave no thought to his medium here.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

PopeOnARope posted:

Perhaps the best part of it, is that this is more or less a revisit to a set made a few years ago. Why wasn't she flipping poo poo then.

Probably because her :angel: of a kid was just a twinkle in her eye or something.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

3 posted:

The actual "bloks," if you will, have absolutely poo poo tolerances but their minifigures own.

Meltman! With the power to...melt!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't believe you just made a KABLAM reference

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Oh, my goodness, there are some fun things to look at on Flickr today

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

afflictionwisp posted:

So many green robot arms.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Brothers Brick (via MTV) has the first official look at the PotC sets:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/02/01/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-sets-and-video-games-trailer-news/

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/02/01/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-sets-and-video-games-trailer-news/

That building (Whitecap Bay) looks kinda neat, as do the London and Cannibal escapes. I'm digging the minifigs, especially the mermaids. As for the ship, the skull fig heads as decoration is a nice touch, but it's no Black Seas Barracuda. Might consider picking it up if its under $80 (doubtful).

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 2, 2011

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That is an Ian McShane minifigure right there. HELL YEAH.
I'm also really digging those dark red sails, though the ship looks like a lot of style but not much substance.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Hellooo $199USD set.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I'm digging all the little accessories, like the ship in a bottle, and the globe in the Captain's Cabin set, plus it looks like one of the cheaper sets. Lots of long dog bones, and that ship comes with almost 20 skeleton heads, for anyone doing cemetary moc's.

I'm also the proud owner of 6 Admiral Ackbar's from the January sale. Why? I don't even know. I don't really like the quality on the collectible's and magnet minifigs, they are kind of polluting Bricklink with the crappier plastic parts.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I don't suppose they'd release sets based on the older movies, would they? I really want a Davy Jones minifig.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't suppose they'd release sets based on the older movies, would they? I really want a Davy Jones minifig.

If their other licenses are anything to judge, I'd say it's likely.

My boy and I watched James May's Big Ideas "Man-Machine" episode last night, and this is what my son made:

I think he nailed James pretty well, and the tethered Asimo ain't too shabby, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lord Gold posted:

I've been waiting a while for some dwarf minifigs I ordered off of Bricklink. I was hesitant to spend ~$5 a figure at first, but I love anything LEGO does that is castle-themed and I am a nerd for their fantasy themed stuff in particular - seeing the dwarf mine and troll fortress a friend had bought for his son renewed my interest in LEGO all over again.

So finally I broke down and ordered a few of these guys.
They happened to come in the mail today, just after I had picked up a couple of the impulse Ninjago sets.

And it just so happens that apparently dwarves and ninjas are mortal enemies.

These dwarves had just emerged from their cave to go hunt in the forest, one brought his tracking beast Dinoceros Rex.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

These Golden Axe screenshots are so lifelike!
Unfortunately some Ninja Scouts were ready to seize an opportunity to steal some dwarven gold.

However, despite the ninja's superior speed and reflexes, one grossly underestimated the charging speed of a full grown cave dino.

(I apologize for the blurry phone pics. Just wanted to share some childlike joy with you guys.)