Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I guess I just always valued accuracy and fight duration over being able to get into brawling range. If I wanted that, I'd just pack ACs and lasers and rip someone's face off.

I also think my memory is mixing in values from the video games on me which throws off the balance a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yeah, the 6th Lyran Guards are awesome. They're based off of Hesperus II, which means gently caress YEAH DEFIANCE INDUSTRIES.

Ironically, my unit is actually the 2nd Donegal Guards: Caesar's Legion.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 29, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Defiance Industries posted:

Ironically, my unit is actually the 2nd Donegal Guards: Caesar's Legion.

are you ever going to go into the mechs that GUARD defiance industries and simular mech works... you'd think an atlas or something for sure

you'd be wrong

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I should point out that can can take aimed shots at an "immobile" target, which for a 'mech usually means "pilot is blacked out."

"Target immobile" and "target prone and adjacent" stack. Since the most often cause of pilots blacking out is going prone - and since going prone (I believe) causes a 'mech to fall down, immobile usually implies prone.

It's not all that hard to hit the head under such circumstances, but usually I'll target the torso most likely to ammo-blooie if there is one, or the CT if not. And don't forget to kick!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Axe-man posted:

are you ever going to go into the mechs that GUARD defiance industries and simular mech works... you'd think an atlas or something for sure

you'd be wrong

That certainly makes sense if you figure out the kind of attacks they'd be directly responsible for stopping. Riots, sabotage, small commando raids. The planetary guard would be there for full on war attacks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Speaking of space nazis, I'm still kinda surprised that the LC choices are the GDL and Solaris stables, instead of something like the 6th "Hookers n Blow" Lyran Guards regiment.

The GDL was our only Lyran option because they're the first ones to spoiler spoiler spoiler the clans spoiler spoiler.

We'll actually be doing a new vote once the Cylene mission ends (there's a plot reason relating to the GDL, which I am not going to spoil). Our next vote will consist of a largely different group of regiments, including... well, you'll see.

Longinus00 posted:

I'm pretty sure the descriptions are mostly from battletech fluff. There doesn't really exist an "aimed shot" like mechanic in the normal rules.

Yes there does, but, guess what? Only the Clans can get it. Go Go targeting computers.

If I have my way, you will all come to hate Goliath Scorpions with pulse lasers and targeting computers.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 29, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I should point out that can can take aimed shots at an "immobile" target, which for a 'mech usually means "pilot is blacked out."

"Target immobile" and "target prone and adjacent" stack. Since the most often cause of pilots blacking out is going prone - and since going prone (I believe) causes a 'mech to fall down, immobile usually implies prone.

It's not all that hard to hit the head under such circumstances, but usually I'll target the torso most likely to ammo-blooie if there is one, or the CT if not. And don't forget to kick!

Prone just means lying down so going prone doesn't mean falling, you can lay down on the ground intentionally if you want. Immobile doesn't have to imply prone, failing shutdown rolls will make your mech immobile but you won't fall over unless something else happens.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The GDL was our only Lyran option because they're the first ones to spoiler spoiler spoiler the clans spoiler spoiler.

We'll actually be doing a new vote once the Cylene mission ends (there's a plot reason, which I am not going to spoil).

Yes there does, but, guess what? Only the Clans can get it. Go Go targeting computers.

Yea, there's that and the aimed shot ShadowDragon8685 mentioned but I think the original comment was more along the lines of the "Careful Aim" rule from Tac Ops which improves odds of hitting instead of taking a penalty to hit a specific body part.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I have my way, you will all come to hate Goliath Scorpions with pulse lasers and targeting computers.

Well, there's always zellbrigen abuse...

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 29, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Now that megamek's taught me a little of what's going on, I'll put my name in to pilot something. Maybe we'll have a tank or something I can use to distract fire from proper mechs

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Axe-man posted:

you'd be wrong

Defiance Industries does actually have a regiment-sized private army of mechs (and other stuff) that are top-quality. This is not standard operating procedure, but Hesperus II has been sieged fifteen times.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 29, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Defiance Industries does actually have a regiment-sized private army of mechs (and other stuff) that are top-quality. This is not standard operating procedure, but Hesperus II has been sieged fifteen times.

Giant factory of war equipment = Prime military target, after all.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 29, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries does actually have a regiment-sized private army of mechs (and [please remove references to this]) that are top-quality. This is not standard operating procedure, but Hesperus II has been sieged fifteen times.

This totally wasn't an empty quote.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

Giant factory of war equipment = Prime military target, after all.

Well, any factory is. DefHes is a particular target because it's the biggest single factory in the Inner Sphere, and the second-most industrial output of any system but Terra. On top of that, it's in that sweet spot in the core where it's within striking distance of any other House. The only reason Davion and Liao haven't hit it since the early Second Succession War is that their dance cards are already full.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Well, any factory is. DefHes is a particular target because it's the biggest single factory in the Inner Sphere, and the second-most industrial output of any system but Terra. On top of that, it is one jump from Terra, so it could conceivably be attacked by any of the other four Houses (though really, only Kurita and Marik try to capture the place).

Doesn't it currently belong to Steiner? I remember some missions in Mercenaries that revolved around it.

Edit: On a somewhat related note, does anyone know how to get an avatar? Like, I need someone to help me make it, since I'm not sure how.... I sort of want to get a Jenner. Or Marauder. Or something. Also, I have PM so you can PM me. :) Maybe I'll join in on the festivities on this thread later.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 29, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
As a note, though Hesperus II has been sieged that many times? It has NEVER ONCE been actually conquered, to the point that modern military thinking regards it as nearly unassailable. House Steiner has held it for as long as it has been part of the Lyran Alliance.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

As a note, though Hesperus II has been sieged that many times? It has NEVER ONCE been actually conquered, to the point that modern military thinking regards it as nearly unassailable. House Steiner has held it for as long as it has been part of the Lyran Alliance.

Sixteen times, to be precise.

The First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Eleventh, Twelfth, and Thirteenth were all against House Kurita. The Eighth Battle of Hesperus II is noteworthy for being the last battle between WarShips in the Inner Sphere, where the LCS Invincible basically destroyed the entire Combine navy by itself, and the Thirteenth was one of the few defeats Wolf's Dragoons ever suffered.

The Third, Tenth and Eleventh were against House Marik. The Eleventh Battle was won by Katrina Steiner and the Eridani Light Horse, and was one of the factors that precipitated Katrina becoming Archon.

The Second Battle of Hesperus II was actually against House Davion, believe it or not.

The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Battles were both against Skye seperatists, the Fourteenth during the FedCom breakup, which was ended by the Grey Death Legion, and the Fifteenth during the FedCom Civil War, which was ended by Caesar Steiner and the 2nd Donegal Guard.

But then around came the Sixteenth Battle of Hesperus II, where the Word of Blake successfully captured the factory. It was poo poo, but it moved Defiance's headquarters to Furillo (the best planet of all planets) and gave us the Defiance BattleMech.

e: Because I really like all the battles of Hesperus. They're generally cool.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 29, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Did it? poo poo, my memory of the Jihad Era is way off. loving Blakist tools. :argh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

loving Blakists. How do they work?

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
On the subject of Rocket Launchers there are actually 2 IS players at my local gaming store that run the Periphery variant of the Catapult the H2 because of its awesome alpha strike ability. Of course you have to be in spitting range to use it because RL-20s have the same range as an AC/20. And since I play Marian IV Legio I use the H2 Variant as well.

AtlantisMantis
Feb 8, 2008

aut vincere aut mori

I don't think even the Blakists know.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cyborgs. :geno:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The authors suddenly discovered that they had written themselves into a clear period of detente. So the villains had to get more and more outlandish. Thus, WoB.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
My orders as submitted:

Movement Orders Orders: (Whoops!)

Jenner Mech D - Walks:

* Turn to 0815
* Walk to 0815 (2 cost)
* Turn to 0814
* Walk to 0814
* Walk to 0813 (2 cost)

Fires:

* 4 x Medium Laser at the Spider Mech directly N in 0809
* 1 x SRM at the Spider Mech directly N in 0810

Commanders intent:

Kill the spider with the rest of the team.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Yeah... Tukayyid's where I stop LIKING the canon timeline, but the Blakist rebellion's where I start DISLIKING it. It's just- so damned goofy. :effort: And not in the endearingly cheesy way the rest of the setting is.

edit: Also, the Jenner should totally be blasting Kill The Spider

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 29, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yes!

Though I'd settle for just hitting it to be honest. Hopefuly one of the other guys moves directly opposite me so someone is going to be firing at the rear.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
I dunno, I actually kinda like the Jihad, it shook things up a bit, the Wobbies get hosed up in the end, and a lot of the tech 3 stuff that it introduces is really awesome.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yes!

Though I'd settle for just hitting it to be honest. Hopefuly one of the other guys moves directly opposite me so someone is going to be firing at the rear.

I'm doing some bad things to that jenner, lets just say, deliverance :banjo:

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah... Tukayyid's where I stop LIKING the canon timeline, but the Blakist rebellion's where I start DISLIKING it. It's just- so damned goofy. And not in the endearingly cheesy way the rest of the setting is.

I started reading the novels around Tukayyid and it was perfect for me, large scale battles and the clans getting their rear end kicked by long drawn out attrition heavy battles

Then i read the phelan kell story, and the whole smoke jaguar attack, and then finally the succession wars... then i read the book where birdmen worship a mech cause it looks kinda sorta like a bird and i stopped reading completely... thats when i started reading nonfiction only for a few years

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I'm doing some bad things to that jenner, lets just say, deliverance :banjo:

I started reading the novels around Tukayyid

I'm the Jenner.. he's the spider. If you're going deliverance on me I'm defecting to the snakes. :D

The outcome from Tukayyid is the only one that makes sense, despite superior technology it's inexplicable how the clans won in the first place!

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 29, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm the Jenner.. he's the spider. If you're going deliverance on me I'm defecting to the snakes. :D

right... um :downsgun: i meant the spider right.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Edited to remove stupidity.

So...ummm... how 'bout them Steiners?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, do I have bad news for you then.

Total Warfare, page 143, Pulse and Rapid-Fire Weapons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not talking about the combination of both at once (that'd be silly). I'm talking clanners with an inherent to-hit bonus. So yeah, that probably should've read and/or.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
There's something inherently sillier about technology worshipping cyborg fanatics than a bunch of genetically engineered warriors who take their animal themes very seriously?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There's something inherently sillier about technology worshipping cyborg fanatics than a bunch of genetically engineered warriors who take their animal themes very seriously?

The difference is, the Clans have a ton of foreshadowing, lots of cultural development, a well-thought-out conlang, canon connections to one of the biggest badasses in the setting, and a reasonable expectation that they would be a dire military threat.

The Word of Blake, meanwhile, kinda comes out of nowhere. They're religious fanatics who worship technology and that's about as far as they get thought out: they attack everybody simultaneously because ???, they managed to produce a massive army in secret because ???, and their ultimate motivations, besides TAKE OVER THE INNER SPHERE, are also pretty ???.

The Word of Blake exists because the writers realized they had written themselves into a corner during the Clan Invasion, and needed a new Big Villain, because even using the FedCom Civil War to revert the status quo wasn't helping them. Don't get me wrong, some of the Jihad-Era stuff is REALLY COOL, but the Word of Blake is basically COBRA from GI Joe.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 29, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Pretty much what A.I. said. Also, they're written well as an interesting villains. And interesting heroes, in some novels. They're just usually fun to read about and play with. Blakists are not.

edit: Could have been worse, the next enemy could have been Mech-piloting bird men! :v: :downsrim: :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: Could have been worse, the next enemy could have been Mech-piloting bird men! :v: :downsrim: :v:

They get as about as much development as WoB :v:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Stuff

If you don't hit with at least 3 of your 5 weapons you will be cleaning Battlemechs for a week. I am tired of you nuggets constantly missing easy targets! :mad:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Axe-man posted:

They get as about as much development as WoB :v:

Yeah. To put it succinctly, the Clans are like a bunch of disaffected soldiers declaring they're through being proxies for leaders who don't give a poo poo about them, who go off to found a new society.

The Word of Blake is more like a bunch of telecom repairmen deciding they worship the Internet, and declaring war on the entire world because they're tired of fielding tech support calls.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah. To put it succinctly, the Clans are like a bunch of disaffected soldiers declaring they're through being proxies for leaders who don't give a poo poo about them, who go off to found a new society.

The Word of Blake is more like a bunch of telecom repairmen deciding they worship the Internet, and declaring war on the entire world because they're tired of fielding tech support calls.

Also, the Clans have some really neat thought put into them. Why do they have all these batshit bidding rules and honor codes?

Answer: Because all that formed when they barely had two sticks to rub together, and they formalized warfare with the explicit goal of damaging as little hardware as humanly possible. This is literally and exactly what Bidding is all about- making sure as few mechs and tanks and planes as possible are exposed to combat to get a battle done.

When you realize that, a lot of the really bizarre parts of Clan practices start making a whole lot more sense- as it does that they steadily abandon them once they get the manufacturing resources of hundreds of Inner Sphere worlds. I don't know, I always appreciated that there was a REASON behind some of the madness.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

When you realize that, a lot of the really bizarre parts of Clan practices start making a whole lot more sense- as it does that they steadily abandon them once they get the manufacturing resources of hundreds of Inner Sphere worlds. I don't know, I always appreciated that there was a REASON behind some of the madness.

Yeah. Like how when the Ghost Bears conquered most of the Free Rasalhague Republic, after about 4 or 5 years they just said 'yeah, okay, we're opening up Freeborn Sibkos to anybody who wants to sign up, Clan-born or not.' Hell, their standing saKhan, and the Elected First Prince of the Free Rasalhague Republic, is Ragnar Magnusson, an Inner Sphere-born Rasalhague native.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

The Word of Blake, meanwhile, kinda comes out of nowhere. They're religious fanatics who worship technology and that's about as far as they get thought out: they attack everybody simultaneously because ???, they managed to produce a massive army in secret because ???, and their ultimate motivations, besides TAKE OVER THE INNER SPHERE, are also pretty ???.

Man what?

Its pretty much a culmination of the Comstar conspiracy that ran through most of the early novels up to the one where Myndo Waterley goes insane. This being the one where they believe they're destined to overthrow the successor lords and lead the sphere into some sort of utopia.

So you have a faction that's existed in one form or another since the end of the star league. They're sitting on top of an industrial base that alone probably rivals the output of a single successor state, and on top of that they have so many fingers in so many pies in another successor state's military industrial complex. The only intelligence agencies who take it upon themselves to keep a close eye on them are either riddled with moles (ROM) or slowly being whittled down in a covert war (Wolfnet).

And this is before you actually get to the actual rear end-pull elements, like the hidden worlds.

Edit: think this needs a :goonsay:

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 29, 2011

• Locked thread