Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
goddamnit

my new 60D came with a 'free' lowepro slingshot 102AW.

I've never really even thought about camera bags - I had a lowepro nova mini that my parents bought me like 15 years ago when I first got a camera, and just have been using that. So the concept of a 'sling' bag (and one that holds a tripod, no less!) is really cool and somehow new to me.

so I'm digging the bag and like pretty much everything about it, but then I was thinking about actually using it while traveling or something as like a day pack, and I realized I'd just have to have my netbook with me. so out of curiosity I google 'slingshot hold netbook' and find their 'slingshot classified' thing, which basically looks pretty much the same, but can hold a netbook and is...

$120 MORE expensive than the 'free' $60 bag I got.

damnit :(

can anyone recommend a similar, cheaper bag? I just want it to hold a DSLR, maybe a flash, wallet and small poo poo, and then a small netbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
Anyone else here use a wrist strap / hand grip? I would always just wrap the neck strap around my hand until one of my photography buddies pointed out that they existed. I've just got a cheap one and am thinking of upgrading. Anyone got one they love?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

anabatica posted:

Anyone else here use a wrist strap / hand grip? I would always just wrap the neck strap around my hand until one of my photography buddies pointed out that they existed. I've just got a cheap one and am thinking of upgrading. Anyone got one they love?

I have the Opteka professional grip strap and it's been great. Keep in mind this basically demands you shoot horizontally because getting to portrait orientation can be a little awkward.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Paragon8 posted:

If you're on your feet for any length at all I strongly recommend getting a backpack no matter how dorky it looks. As neat as messenger style bags are they can really murder your back.

I have a backpack that I wear when I ride my bike to work. I also have that bigass Burton backpack that I schlep out to locations.
I really just want a messenger bag to hold my random things when I'm out on the town not necessarily shooting. My Contax plus an extra lens weighs barely a pound. I just want a protective area in a general-use bag for tossing it in so I have it with me if I see a decisive moment. I'm still just amazed that no one makes a storage bag with a small protective compartment. It seems so obvious, but I guess there's no demand for it.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

mindphlux posted:

goddamnit

I've never really even thought about camera bags - I had a lowepro nova mini that my parents bought me like 15 years ago when I first got a camera, and just have been using that. So the concept of a 'sling' bag (and one that holds a tripod, no less!) is really cool and somehow new to me.

so I'm digging the bag and like pretty much everything about it, but then I was thinking about actually using it while traveling or something as like a day pack, and I realized I'd just have to have my netbook with me. so out of curiosity I google 'slingshot hold netbook' and find their 'slingshot classified' thing, which basically looks pretty much the same, but can hold a netbook and is...

can anyone recommend a similar, cheaper bag? I just want it to hold a DSLR, maybe a flash, wallet and small poo poo, and then a small netbook.

I can't recommend a replacement, but I'd happily buy that off of you for $60. We can move this to the centralized gear buy/sell thread to track, but I've been looking to get the 102 anyway and if I can help a fellow goon get something they'd rather have at the same time, why not? (If you don't want to sell, not a problem too)

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

anabatica posted:

I always used to wrap the neck strap around my hand too. :hfive: To be honest, I didn't look that much, but it seems like all of the not-cheap ones go around the hand instead of the wrist, which I'm not a fan of. It looks less secure and more restricting. So I just got a cheapo wrist one. It gets the job done and no more getting tangled in the useless neck strap!

Fake Edit: Apparently canon makes an official wrist strap, but I like mine better, it's a stretchy material and has a clasp so you can easily detach it from the camera if you need to put it in a strange position.

vikingtravels
Jul 13, 2006
Experienced life-enjoyment executive

Kiri koli posted:

I always used to wrap the neck strap around my hand too. :hfive: To be honest, I didn't look that much, but it seems like all of the not-cheap ones go around the hand instead of the wrist, which I'm not a fan of. It looks less secure and more restricting. So I just got a cheapo wrist one. It gets the job done and no more getting tangled in the useless neck strap!

Fake Edit: Apparently canon makes an official wrist strap, but I like mine better, it's a stretchy material and has a clasp so you can easily detach it from the camera if you need to put it in a strange position.

What kind of wrist strap are you using?

I'm doing a bit of alpine-skiing photography with my neck strap around my arm, and it's not working too well. Haven't dropped the camera yet, but I have a feeling I will soon..

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

I have a backpack that I wear when I ride my bike to work. I also have that bigass Burton backpack that I schlep out to locations.
I really just want a messenger bag to hold my random things when I'm out on the town not necessarily shooting. My Contax plus an extra lens weighs barely a pound. I just want a protective area in a general-use bag for tossing it in so I have it with me if I see a decisive moment. I'm still just amazed that no one makes a storage bag with a small protective compartment. It seems so obvious, but I guess there's no demand for it.

Ah, I get you. Have you looked into maybe just getting a padded bag/pouch as an insert?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HPL posted:

Look into top-loading holster-style bags like the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW. If you use a medium-sized lens, you can fit another lens in the bottom of the bag and have the camera on top of it. Or if you're using a 70-200, you can have the camera with that on it in the bag, and attach a side bag for another lens. Think Tank has their digital holster series as well but you'll probably have to buy a belt for that.

Keep in mind that these kind of bags aren't really much smaller than a regular bag since a gripped camera with a 70-200 can only fit in a bag so small. Of course there are smaller models if you're not using a 70-200.

I still kinda want a satchel/shoulder bag. A holster is like the fanny pack of the camera world. Yeah, it would suit my purposes, but I have to keep some sense of style. :(

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

vikingtravels posted:

What kind of wrist strap are you using?

I'm doing a bit of alpine-skiing photography with my neck strap around my arm, and it's not working too well. Haven't dropped the camera yet, but I have a feeling I will soon..

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/OpTech-6701062-Wrist-Strap-Black/dp/B00137NMMW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296160108&sr=8-4

It's nice and cheap, but I'm not sure if it could possibly rip if jolted really hard. I didn't plan on skiing or anything with it, just hiking. I lean over rivers and waterfalls a lot.

Glancing around amazon, there seem to be some leather wrist/hand hybrids that might suit your purposes.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Ah, I get you. Have you looked into maybe just getting a padded bag/pouch as an insert?

I've looked at a lot of inserts, but even those seem to be for camera-specific bags. Have you seen any with a sealed top? I wouldn't want to just toss a camera into something and have it fall out because I'm an idiot. I can just see the situation in which I'd pick up a messenger bag with the flap open and my Contax comes tumbling out of an unsealed insert.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

McMadCow posted:

I've looked at a lot of inserts, but even those seem to be for camera-specific bags. Have you seen any with a sealed top? I wouldn't want to just toss a camera into something and have it fall out because I'm an idiot. I can just see the situation in which I'd pick up a messenger bag with the flap open and my Contax comes tumbling out of an unsealed insert.
I've ordered one of these ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170518115936#ht_8223wt_907 ), because it looks decent enough for the money. There are a lot of similar in different sizes on eBay.

I haven't recieved it yet though, so it might be complete poo poo.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

sensy v2.0 posted:

I've ordered one of these ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170518115936#ht_8223wt_907 ), because it looks decent enough for the money. There are a lot of similar in different sizes on eBay.

I haven't recieved it yet though, so it might be complete poo poo.

Man, that's really close. I'll have to check their store to see if they have anything more custom-fitted to a rangefinder. Thanks!

vikingtravels
Jul 13, 2006
Experienced life-enjoyment executive

Kiri koli posted:

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/OpTech-6701062-Wrist-Strap-Black/dp/B00137NMMW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296160108&sr=8-4

It's nice and cheap, but I'm not sure if it could possibly rip if jolted really hard. I didn't plan on skiing or anything with it, just hiking. I lean over rivers and waterfalls a lot.

Glancing around amazon, there seem to be some leather wrist/hand hybrids that might suit your purposes.

Thanks for the input and the link, that should fit the bill perfectly.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

vikingtravels posted:

Thanks for the input and the link, that should fit the bill perfectly.

Seconding that one. I picked up a couple last year and they are much stronger than they look and won't cut off your circulation.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
For those looking for bags, the Crumpler 7 million dollar home is on Amazon right now for ~$100 in either black or grey/red: http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Million-Dollar-Photo-Black/dp/B001TINMRA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296222194&sr=8-4

About a $40 savings and ships free with Prime. I'm probably going to order it, just doing some last minute size estimating and the like.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ouhei posted:

For those looking for bags, the Crumpler 7 million dollar home is on Amazon right now for ~$100 in either black or grey/red: http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Million-Dollar-Photo-Black/dp/B001TINMRA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296222194&sr=8-4

About a $40 savings and ships free with Prime. I'm probably going to order it, just doing some last minute size estimating and the like.

Hot drat that is awesome. Are the straps on Crumplers long enough to wear across the opposite shoulder?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

DJExile posted:

Hot drat that is awesome. Are the straps on Crumplers long enough to wear across the opposite shoulder?
Yeah, that's how they're normally worn, Amazon just has weird pictures.

I'll be placing my order as soon as I decide on a color, haha.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mindphlux posted:

goddamnit

I fit a 10" netbook in my Slingshot 200 by putting it in the camera compartment, on top of the padded dividers. Generally only did that when I was flying and using it as a carry-on though, I didn't like the added weight for walking around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RE: Crumpler 7 Million, are they water proof/resistant?

EDIT: Oh it says they're resistant. Awesome :toot:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 28, 2011

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can also fit an ipad or a netbook at the front mini pouch of the 7 million.

I'm thinking of going to the states this summer but it has been a while for me. I know that TSA restrictions are a pain and that even a tripod can be considered as a "weapon".

Are carry on dimensions and restrictions strict for air travel? Since I'm only allowed to carry 1 bag, does that mean I can't carry an extra bag of duty free booze or bag? Since some airlines charge for check luggage for domestic flights, am I better off carrying a maximum carry on with my clothes and photo gear? And do I have to do the up in the air dance each time I transfer?

Still worth visiting B&H and trying different bags! And look forward to a China town bus, how are the baggage restrictions?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

caberham posted:

I'm thinking of going to the states this summer but it has been a while for me. I know that TSA restrictions are a pain and that even a tripod can be considered as a "weapon".

Are carry on dimensions and restrictions strict for air travel? Since I'm only allowed to carry 1 bag, does that mean I can't carry an extra bag of duty free booze or bag? Since some airlines charge for check luggage for domestic flights, am I better off carrying a maximum carry on with my clothes and photo gear? And do I have to do the up in the air dance each time I transfer?

Still worth visiting B&H and trying different bags! And look forward to a China town bus, how are the baggage restrictions?

Carry on restrictions sometimes depend more on the airline than anything. I just flew southwest and they allow "One carry-on and one personal item". For many this meant one small rolling bag (presumably with clothes) and something like a backpack or purse.

I'd carry on all that you can, depending on airline. Southwest gives you your first two checked bags free, which is awesome, but I'd MUCH rather carry photo gear than check it, unless I had some very good padding on my bag. Security seems to give no poo poo about cameras, lenses, and batteries, if Detroit Metro and LAX were anything to go by. I doubt they'll let you take the tripod, however.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Ordered the grey/red Crumpler, should be here Tuesday, can't wait!

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

caberham posted:

Most airlines are one bag carry on plus one personal item. However, depending on the airport, I regularly carry a carry on (small suitcase size gets put in the overhead bin) plus backpack with laptop (goes under the seat) AND a really small camera bag (when I had a large p&s). You could do the same with a purse or small handbag I would imagine. Just make sure you can stuff it into one of the bigger bags because some of the larger airports will give you poo poo about it. Once you're past security you can pop it back out and I've never had a problem just putting it on my lap in the plane.

Most airlines charge for checked bags now (Southwest seems to be one of the few holdouts), but unfortunately if you want a tripod, it'll have to go in checked luggage. Same with booze. Airlines are very strict about their no liquids over 3 ounces rule, so if you want to bring bottles of any sort (shampoo, even toothpaste), you need to check them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ouhei posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession with gear bags. I already have 3 generic laptop backpacks, 2 generic shoulder computer bags, a Timbuk2 bag, a Canon bag, a new Kata DR-467i, and I now I want this and an Ona bag. :smithicide:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've brought my tripod in a carry-on before with no problem. Had to disassemble center column and take the feet off to get it to fit though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

EDIT: Oh it says they're resistant. Awesome :toot:
I have a few made of the same stuff. Spray some ski jacket water repellent stuff on it and forget about water and rain covers. It's awesome.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession with gear bags. I already have 3 generic laptop backpacks, 2 generic shoulder computer bags, a Timbuk2 bag, a Canon bag, a new Kata DR-467i, and I now I want this and an Ona bag. :smithicide:
hahaha welcome to the club. Girlfriend and I own about a grand worth of crumpler bags, between the photo and computer bags.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've been wanting to get serious about backpacking (like out in the woods over night type backpacking) and since I'm a photographer, I would love to have a legit hiking backpack that accommodates a SLR.

I found one (and only one) and I've had my eye on it for over a year now. The Naneu K5. I couldn't many reviews on it but what information i did find, seemed positive. The main difference between this bag and normal hiking bag is that it has a removable insert/bag that can hold a large SLR, 70-200 2.8 along with a couple more lenses and a flash. In addition, it also has a tripod strap on the back. That's about all I'd ever want to lug out into the middle of the woods.

The other thing I liked about this bag, is that if I take the insertable bag out, it seems to be a perfectly good and normal hiking backpack. This is great because I don't plan on carrying around a SLR on every trip I go on and I'd hate to have to buy another bag. Which brings me to the main point of this post...

The thing that's been holding me back from buying this bag is the price. I see it go for $250-$300, which is about average price for a normal high end hiking backpack. it's a fair price, I just haven't had the money for it. That is until today. I just found a deal here for $97.99 plus $10 shipping. I've never heard of thenerds.net but they seem to have a lot of great reviews on google so I went ahead and ordered it. If anyone else wants to order it, I found a coupon code "bargainen" for $5 off $50.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I would definitely not take the 70-200 f/2.8 hiking.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

OneZeroSix posted:

Someone posted this bag in the Canon thread:

Ona Union Station Bag

I thought it'd make a good post here because of how nice it looks; and to ask if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative that can keep up with its styling? This is the only camera bag I've seen that doesn't scream "Steal my expensive camera stuff!" It's $280 so if I can't find something similar I may have to try modding a cheaper shoulder bag (or buy it, it's so nice).

e: added a pic of interior

This is exactly the type of bag I've been looking for. I bought Lowepro's Classified 250 - and while a great bag, still a bit too big for me for an everyday bag. I might have to sell it off and get this instead.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah not on a walking all day hike but I there are times where I'd like to make it to a base camp and hang out for a day or two while I shoot photos.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Haggins posted:

I've been wanting to get serious about backpacking (like out in the woods over night type backpacking) and since I'm a photographer, I would love to have a legit hiking backpack that accommodates a SLR.

I found one (and only one) and I've had my eye on it for over a year now. The Naneu K5. I couldn't many reviews on it but what information i did find, seemed positive. The main difference between this bag and normal hiking bag is that it has a removable insert/bag that can hold a large SLR, 70-200 2.8 along with a couple more lenses and a flash. In addition, it also has a tripod strap on the back. That's about all I'd ever want to lug out into the middle of the woods.

The other thing I liked about this bag, is that if I take the insertable bag out, it seems to be a perfectly good and normal hiking backpack. This is great because I don't plan on carrying around a SLR on every trip I go on and I'd hate to have to buy another bag. Which brings me to the main point of this post...

The thing that's been holding me back from buying this bag is the price. I see it go for $250-$300, which is about average price for a normal high end hiking backpack. it's a fair price, I just haven't had the money for it. That is until today. I just found a deal here for $97.99 plus $10 shipping. I've never heard of thenerds.net but they seem to have a lot of great reviews on google so I went ahead and ordered it. If anyone else wants to order it, I found a coupon code "bargainen" for $5 off $50.

I have done numerous backcountry expeditions with my gear, anywhere from long weekends to 15 days in the mountains. My best recommendation is don't bother with a specialty camera pack. Get a specialty hiking backpack and you will have plenty of room for your gear. For padding, wrap your equipment in your clothes. Just don't throw your pack 10 ft away (done it, broke some lens filters) and you'll be fine.

The motto of hike-in hike-out places is do not bring anything unless it has 2 or 3 jobs. Obviously camera gear doesn't quite qualify, but as long as you already have lots of things that can be used as padding, why bother bringing a specialty pack that will just add a lot more weight

Last bit of advice? An ounce in the morning is a pound at night. I brought 20 pounds of camera gear on my last trek and that was on top of the 40 pounds of normal gear I had to carry for a week long excursion. I do not recommend that much gear at all, and I would encourage you (and the younger me) to be very very picky what you bring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This, and really just get a backpack that fits *you* then put photo stuff and a photo bag in there.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Or if you do, take something out that weights the same amount. I've taken 70-200 2.8's hiking before and got some great shots that way. I also packed in a full bottle of asprin that wasn't full when I got back...

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Its doable. Ive taken a 70-200 2.8 IS on a 30D and a 24mm up linville gorge for a 3 day trip. About 2k feet change in elevation in about 2 miles or so. It sucked but id probably do it again.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Pansies, I took my 70-400 G on several hiking trips this summer. :colbert:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Ouhei posted:

Just to update, this arrived today and it's pretty sweet. Looks smaller in person than it does in pictures (always looks big on people, I'm 6' and it looks like a normal sized bag on me). I currently have my gripped D90 with the 18-105 mounted, 1 SB-600, 2 Yongnuo 560, 2 radio receivers and a trigger, and the 50mm 1.8 in there and it has some room to spare. I could fiddle things to get a netbook/ipad in there with all of this stuff.

I normally won't be carrying the 2 Yongnuo flashes with me (I'm going to get a dedicated off camera lighting bag/case to put them in with the stands and stuff). So you could easily fit a few more small lenses or a big lens (70-200 2.8 would fit nicely) in there.

I'll post up pictures tonight.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Haggins posted:

:words: The Naneu K5 :words: here for $97.99
:words:

Well i got my shipment today. Turns out they sent me the wrong bag, instead they sent me the Sahara 115 by Naneu. Had a feeling it was too good of a deal to be true. Oh well, at least I didn't order a tent and sleeping bag to go with it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My $7mil arrived today. Man you could beat someone to death with this thing. It feels very solid.

It fits my lenses and flash very well, but I'm surprised the secondary pocket doesn't have any setups for dividers, smaller pockets, pen/business card sleeves etc. Small complaints but they seem to be the standard on a lot of other bags. Fits very nicely though and I've already popped on the velcro silencers because good LORD is that loud.

Very well padded, looks quite durable, and water rolls right off it. Overall I'm pretty happy for the money.

• Locked thread