Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Ah that makes more sense. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there much difference between US and International editions of textbooks? The international versions seem to be much much cheaper. I've never purchased one but for this current book it's roughly 1/3 of the best price I can find for the US edition.

revolther
May 27, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Some people claim "0" and use the IRS as their savings account...
I know it's not a tax thread, but could you expand on this at all as you seem fairly informed. I've claimed "0" at every job I've ever worked with a general attitude of "take what you need and leave me alone", this is about a decade and a half worth of various customer service/office/tech support gigs.

Is there some huge sum of money chilling I could theoretically claim? I don't typically file taxes, but would if the government took it all and applied it to things like unpaid court fees and other legal debts.

edit: Oh, I know how filing taxes and returns and all that work, I was just thinking savings account in a different sense than getting a big refund once a year, like it kept rolling over.

revolther fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 29, 2011

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

revolther posted:

I know it's not a tax thread, but could you expand on this at all as you seem fairly informed. I've claimed "0" at every job I've ever worked with a general attitude of "take what you need and leave me alone", this is about a decade and a half worth of various customer service/office/tech support gigs.

Is there some huge sum of money chilling I could theoretically claim? I don't typically file taxes, but would if the government took it all and applied it to things like unpaid court fees and other legal debts.

When you claim 0 they take more out of your check. To make it simpler, at the end of the year when you file your taxes you claim X number of dependents, including yourself. If that number is greater than what you had claimed during the year, you should get a decent return. If it is the same, in theory, things should balance out and you won't owe or get anything back.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

revolther posted:

edit: Oh, I know how filing taxes and returns and all that work, I was just thinking savings account in a different sense than getting a big refund once a year, like it kept rolling over.

No, just penny pincher/saver types don't like giving the irs an interest free loan. :)

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there much difference between US and International editions of textbooks? The international versions seem to be much much cheaper. I've never purchased one but for this current book it's roughly 1/3 of the best price I can find for the US edition.

I remember talking to one of my professors about this and I remember him saying that the two versions are usually not very different at all, except internationals being paperback and cheaper, since something about the way the dollar converts over makes it difficult to charge so much for these books over seas.

Usually the only things that change are like some page numbers, but the content is more or less untouched. From what I understand, this may differ depending on the textbook in question though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there any reason Camelbacks are literally double the price of everything else, other then "brand name"? Got a Kelty "Big Basin" that is essentially the same thing (chest/waist straps, several pockets - not as much as some of the Camelbacks but plenty really) and cost $20 and the equivalent Camelback was $45.

I know some of the the same "water backpack" things are really loving cheap (literally and quality) but the one I got looks and feels almost identical, no cheap hard plastic or anything of that nature.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I get my cable with an HD cable box. Can I connect the coxial cable out of the wall to a splitter, and route one connection to the cablebox, and another to a TV tuner on my PC and control it as an analog cable feed?

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 29, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rick posted:

I get my cable with an HD cable box. Can I connect the coxial cable out of the wall to a splitter, and route one connection to the cablebox, and another to a TV tuner on my PC and control it as an analog cable feed?

Possibly, but in some areas analog cable has been completely turned off, or restricted to only a handful of channels, most of which are receivable over the air in HD for free with a $20 antenna.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
e: oops already answered!

Waltzing Along posted:

Frequently the international edition will be printed on paper thin (irony coming up) paper with crappy ink quality. This is to make the texts more affordable in other countries. When I could find the international version, I always went for them. It's a bit flimsier to use but not really an issue.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Stupid question, but I recently sent an e-mail requesting eMusic to delete my account and CC info. I got this e-mail in return and it doesn't sit right with me, especially because I'm a Canadian citizen.

"e understand your concern about your personal information and we will be more than happy to delete your email address from all of our active mailing lists. You should receive no further emails from us unless such email contact is required by law (e.g.,notification of your rights, etc.). With regard to your remaining personal information, for legal reasons we must maintain certain minimal customer records within our files.

This policy is a standard policy for credit card merchants who do business online. To accommodate your desire to no longer be charged by eMusic, we have blocked your credit card on our system so that it can never be used by eMusic again. This does not affect your credit report and does not affect your ability to use your credit card with any other establishment.

However, please rest assured that this information will only be stored in accordance with (i) the terms of our Privacy Policy; and (ii) U.S. federal and state law."

Can someone explain what the heck and why won't they remove my CC info. It seems like many internet businesses keep the CC and personal info in some sort of database and I don't like it. What happened to just "delete account"? It's been replaced by cancel or inactivate account and I hate this poo poo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pr0phecy posted:

Can someone explain what the heck and why won't they remove my CC info. It seems like many internet businesses keep the CC and personal info in some sort of database and I don't like it. What happened to just "delete account"? It's been replaced by cancel or inactivate account and I hate this poo poo.

Sounds kinda like protecting their rear end against things like CC fraud. If they catch a chargeback, or if you used someone's elses CC without their permission they would like to have a record or proof of that on file.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there any reason Camelbacks are literally double the price of everything else, other then "brand name"? Got a Kelty "Big Basin" that is essentially the same thing (chest/waist straps, several pockets - not as much as some of the Camelbacks but plenty really) and cost $20 and the equivalent Camelback was $45.

I know some of the the same "water backpack" things are really loving cheap (literally and quality) but the one I got looks and feels almost identical, no cheap hard plastic or anything of that nature.

The price difference in this case (assuming the 2 packs are near identical in features) will come down to 3 things:

1) Brand recognition - as you mentioned

2) Warranty - CamelBak doesn't have any special warranty, just the typical lifetime replacement for manufacturing defects, but they may be easier to get a hold of and/or be more willing to exchange a faulty pack than some other, lesser-known brand

3) Materials - The cheaper pack may feel very similar but may use a fabric that is a different denier or a lower quality zipper/elastic/other small part. The stitching may also use cheaper thread or use a simpler stitching pattern (the order in which seams are crossed and how the fabric was held/stretched during the sewing process can make a big difference).

So if you can identify quality materials and workmanship then you'll probably be fine either way.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

fishmech posted:

Possibly, but in some areas analog cable has been completely turned off, or restricted to only a handful of channels, most of which are receivable over the air in HD for free with a $20 antenna.

Ah so I should be ok then because I live somewhere with free basic cable out of the walls.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I've got jury duty in about a week. The notice says "No cameras allowed in building." I'm assuming that includes cell phones, right?

e:V meh, I'd rather not have it confiscated so I won't risk it. It's a major metropolitan court, so they probably will. I just think it's a silly policy to maintain as ubiquitous and versatile as cellphones have become.

e2: turns out cellphones are cool

Elijya fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 22, 2011

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Elijya posted:

I've got jury duty in about a week. The notice says "No cameras allowed in building." I'm assuming that includes cell phones, right?

I've had to leave my camera-enabled phone before, yeah. But they also don't check very closely, in my experience.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Some medicine is to be taken "before a meal". I understand if it should be taken after a meal so is lands on top of what you ate and thus there is more time for it to stay in the stomach instead of rushing through. So why would anything be taken before one eats something?

\/² Thank you!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 29, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Elijya posted:

e:V meh, I'd rather not have it confiscated so I won't risk it. It's a major metropolitan court, so they probably will. I just think it's a silly policy to maintain as ubiquitous and versatile as cellphones have become.

I did Jury Duty in the UK last January, and we had lockers at the court for bags and cell phones. Your court might have that too.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Some medicine is to be taken "before a meal". I understand if it should be taken after a meal so is lands on top of what you ate and thus there is more time for it to stay in the stomach instead of rushing through. So why would anything be taken before one eats something?

Some medicine (IIRC tetracycline and milk/dairy products) is completely denatured by being taking with certain foods. (meaning the medicine's effect is completely blocked)

The idea is that if you take it before a meal, it cannot interact, and because it goes on an empty stomach it will be quickly absorbed before it can be denatured by some food. Dairy products come with most meals in the US.

njaa
Aug 20, 2007
So I'm looking for a famous game reviewer who does short videos on different games with lousy black and white animations on which he speaks humorous stuff in a very fast tempo. I think he had a british accent and somewhy I associate the colour yellow to his videos.

It might sound awfully vague but some of you are bound to recognize him as he is probably the most famous satiric pc game reviewer out there.

Thanks in advance!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

njaa posted:

So I'm looking for a famous game reviewer who does short videos on different games with lousy black and white animations on which he speaks humorous stuff in a very fast tempo. I think he had a british accent and somewhy I associate the colour yellow to his videos.

It might sound awfully vague but some of you are bound to recognize him as he is probably the most famous satiric pc game reviewer out there.

Thanks in advance!

Yahtzee's "Zero Punctuation". Was a goon.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

What's the best way to ship a box of carbonated alcoholic beverages from the US to Australia? I live in the US currently, my friends at home want me to bring back a box of Four Loko.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I have a feeling this question truly belongs in a stupid question thread, but here goes.

Let's say I have a computer that has trouble playing downloaded 1080p content, but if install a Blu-ray drive there's no problem playing it. What's the difference?

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR
Hello I got a photo of a place where it has a sign that says how distant is from some major cities and I want to confirm the excact location of the place.
I think it's in France in the northen part east of Paris somewhere but I was wondering if anyone recognises the flag or can help me out more!
Thanks in advance!

Click here for the full 538x700 image.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mongmonghi posted:

Hello I got a photo of a place where it has a sign that says how distant is from some major cities and I want to confirm the excact location of the place.
I screwed around on Google Earth a bit, and it might be somewhere in the vicinity of Chartres. Maybe take a look at a map of that area and see if anything rings a bell?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Mongmonghi posted:

I think it's in France in the northen part east of Paris somewhere but I was wondering if anyone recognises the flag or can help me out more!
Thanks in advance!

Click here for the full 538x700 image.

The distances check out as being somewhere around Paris. I can't be any more specific, because the distances and the locations from which they are measured are not precise enough. You can check the distances for yourself at http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I have a feeling this question truly belongs in a stupid question thread, but here goes.

Let's say I have a computer that has trouble playing downloaded 1080p content, but if install a Blu-ray drive there's no problem playing it. What's the difference?

I think your computer has a harder time decoding a compressed video than just receiving the uncompressed stream from the player. Video codecs need to be quite complex to get the file size down, so when you're decoding 1080p video using software alone you need some hefty processing power.

I might be way off with this, but that's how I see it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

^^ :argh: ef;b

Downloaded content is encoded in a compressed format, which means that your computer has to do fancy math to it before it can understand what it's supposed to do with the images and sound. Blu-Ray content is encoded in a simpler format, which means it takes up a lot more room on the disk than it would on your hard drive, but it can be interpreted by Blu-Ray players that don't have a terribly powerful processor in them.

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR

EricBauman posted:

The distances check out as being somewhere around Paris. I can't be any more specific, because the distances and the locations from which they are measured are not precise enough. You can check the distances for yourself at http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm.

No idea but thanks I wanted to confirm it was nearby Paris :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daemus posted:

I think your computer has a harder time decoding a compressed video than just receiving the uncompressed stream from the player. Video codecs need to be quite complex to get the file size down, so when you're decoding 1080p video using software alone you need some hefty processing power.

I might be way off with this, but that's how I see it.

Blu-Ray is not uncompressed, however, it is compressed using a much less computing intensive codec than downloaded stuff tends to be.

If Blu-Ray was uncompressed you could only have mere minutes of 1080p video on a whole Blu-ray disc!

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

fishmech posted:

Blu-Ray is not uncompressed, however, it is compressed using a much less computing intensive codec than downloaded stuff tends to be.

If Blu-Ray was uncompressed you could only have mere minutes of 1080p video on a whole Blu-ray disc!

Oh sure, yeah, I knew this. I'm just so used to thinking that there's "raw" video on the disc that I sometimes forget that it's already been encoded.

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
Ages ago I had a Firefox extension wherein you could open multiple tabs by right clicking and dragging a selection box over the desired links. (Does that make sense?) I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, does anybody know what I'm talking about?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are the Naked juices (or smoothies or whatever else there is) actually good for you? Or is it all just marketing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

Are the Naked juices (or smoothies or whatever else there is) actually good for you? Or is it all just marketing?

They're not any healthier than any other juice smoothie thing, but juice smoothies are usually not bad for you.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Astro Cake posted:

Ages ago I had a Firefox extension wherein you could open multiple tabs by right clicking and dragging a selection box over the desired links. (Does that make sense?) I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, does anybody know what I'm talking about?

The FireGestures extension has (by default) the "right, up" gesture mapped to "open all links in selection".

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

change my name posted:

The latest daily recommendation say you should eat 4-6 servings of fruits and vegetables daily. Juice counts as a serving. Whole juices (including the pulp and fiber) are best.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Juice has too much sugar, in my opinion. Fruit even has a bit much. This is coming from someone who prefers low carb so consider that as well.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Dudebro posted:

Juice has too much sugar, in my opinion. Fruit even has a bit much. This is coming from someone who prefers low carb so consider that as well.

It's not just your opinion, it's fact. Juice has all the sugar of fruit with none of the fiber, and you end up drinking far more of that sugar than you would when eating fruit because it isn't filling.

Smoothies are usually much better as they mostly contain whole ground-up fruit, so they are filling and do contain fiber. As for the Naked or Odwalla juices, they're somewhere in between. There's a reason it's a small bottle yet contains 2 servings- it's still an awful lot of sugar.

Melicious fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 30, 2011

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Flashing Twelve posted:

What's the best way to ship a box of carbonated alcoholic beverages from the US to Australia? I live in the US currently, my friends at home want me to bring back a box of Four Loko.

You can't, you must be a licensed alcohol dealer to ship alcohol in/from the USA. The USPS prohibits it and if they find out they will confiscate it and possibly fine you. UPS, FedEx, and DHL all prohibit it as well.

If you manage to get it out of the country then you might be alright, because apparently Australia Post is ok with alcohol, as long as it is less than 70% alcohol by volume and less than 5 liters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

FIlling my life with old media, and just finished Star Trek The Next Generation.

What's next?

The movies? Deep Space Nine? Voyager?