Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Going to order a Fender Mike Dirnt Precision bass in vintage white on Monday. Played a used one today at a small store when I was visiting our capital city and was about to buy it until I noticed that there was some strange mixture of some heavy adhesive stuff and melted finish near the input jack of the bass. It was only one centimeter in diameter but I just couldn't stand the idea of shelling out 600 euros for an instrument with that kind of aesthetic mishap.

Anyways, at least I got to try it so I put an order up for a new one.

By the way, are the cheap Kustom heads and cabs just pure crap? I'm tentatively interested in Kustom DE300 HD and DE410H. Someone actually had some positive experiences with them at a Finnish bass forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

These Loving Eyes posted:

By the way, are the cheap Kustom heads and cabs just pure crap?

I can't speak from experience, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say "yes." I actually had no idea that the Kustom brand had been revived.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So here's a question...I'm a big fan of melodic pop basslines a la Paul McCartney, Bruce Thomas, etc., and like to use that kind of stuff in my songs when I can. This song that I wrote has some "opposing motion" in it, in that the bass note will ascend, while the chords descend or vice versa. For example, the first bit goes Dm/A, C, Bm/D, then Esus; the second part is D/A, E/G#, D/F#, then E; finally we have Em, D/F#, C/G, then B/F#

So the question (finally) is: is it possible and/or a good idea to try and put a melodic type bassline on there, or is it better to just outline the motion with simple 8th like is already on there?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

So here's a question...I'm a big fan of melodic pop basslines a la Paul McCartney, Bruce Thomas, etc., and like to use that kind of stuff in my songs when I can. This song that I wrote has some "opposing motion" in it, in that the bass note will ascend, while the chords descend or vice versa. For example, the first bit goes Dm/A, C, Bm/D, then Esus; the second part is D/A, E/G#, D/F#, then E; finally we have Em, D/F#, C/G, then B/F#

So the question (finally) is: is it possible and/or a good idea to try and put a melodic type bassline on there, or is it better to just outline the motion with simple 8th like is already on there?

I think it depends on what else you plan on adding to the track. Is it completely tracked otherwise? Because there's definitely room for it, especially in the second part.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Other than a vocal melody, that's pretty much what it'll sound like. And looking through the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book, I see that Jamerson would be able to take those kinds of chord progressions and play around with them, so I'll see what I can do (although I'm not a genius like Jamerson was).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's behind the bass tone in this song? I can't always pick out my P's and my J's, and how's he getting that 'mwah' in the slides - is it the fabled tapewound strings, or can you get that sound another way? I haven't heard that tone in any of their other songs, I think it's usually roundwounds all the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3qy_iX4ok8

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I get that sort of sound to my slides with my bass, I use D'addario XL nickel wound so maybe the bassist uses the same sort of strings in that song?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

baka kaba posted:

What's behind the bass tone in this song? I can't always pick out my P's and my J's, and how's he getting that 'mwah' in the slides - is it the fabled tapewound strings, or can you get that sound another way? I haven't heard that tone in any of their other songs, I think it's usually roundwounds all the way

Sounds like worn-in Flatwounds on a Pbass or something else with a humbucker. Maybe an EB-3.

If they're rounds, then they are nickels and are about dead and the tone is backed off on the bass.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009
I think that's a fretless bass with the neck pickup with bright flatwounds, like d'addario chromes. The notes around 0:06 sound quite fretless-y to me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

bionictom posted:

I think that's a fretless bass with the neck pickup with bright flatwounds, like d'addario chromes. The notes around 0:06 sound quite fretless-y to me.

Nah, I don't think so. Mike Watt gets identical sounds and never plays fretless. The warmth of the tone is somewhat covering up the separations in the slide produced by the frets.

If you throw some good headphones on and really listen, you can hear the separations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone have any suggestions on rhythm exercises?

I'm having a littttttle bit difficulty playing on the &'s when not in between two downbeats

E.g:

I can play:
code:
1 2&3 4
1 2&  4
1 2 3&4
All without issue.

Give me:
code:
1  &3 4
1  &3  &
1  &  4
And I loving SUCK.

Suggestions?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

I'm having a littttttle bit difficulty playing on the &'s when not in between two downbeats

E.g:

I can play:
code:
1 2&3 4
1 2&  4
1 2 3&4
All without issue.

Give me:
code:
1  &3 4
1  &3  &
1  &  4
And I loving SUCK.

Suggestions?

Do you tap your foot when you play? If so, you can think about the &s as every time your foot is up in the air. At least, that helps me. Other than that, you just have to listen to a LOT of bassists who have that great syncopated timing. Chris Wood is wonderful in that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SvyCSt9H0

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 1, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yeah; I try to. I tend to tap my foot doubletime to match the &s.

It's incredibly frustrating. But I'll just keep at it with a metronome and listen to more bass!

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

Scarf posted:

Nah, I don't think so. Mike Watt gets identical sounds and never plays fretless. The warmth of the tone is somewhat covering up the separations in the slide produced by the frets.

If you throw some good headphones on and really listen, you can hear the separations.

You are right, i can hear the clicks of the string at the end of each note now.
In one live video the bassplayer plays a thunderbird... could be the bass of the recording, no?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

baka kaba posted:

I'd say it's worn roundwounds on a Jazz with a fair amount of compression; and probably DI'ed. Nice song, btw.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Walked posted:

Suggestions?

Take the stuff you know you're having trouble with, and sloooooooooow doooooooooown with a metronome. A good rule of thumb is if you can play it three times in a row you can start to speed up gradually.

I'm just starting to practice the stuff I'm having trouble with, as oppose to practicing the stuff I'm already good at.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

Take the stuff you know you're having trouble with, and sloooooooooow doooooooooown with a metronome. A good rule of thumb is if you can play it three times in a row you can start to speed up gradually.

I'm just starting to practice the stuff I'm having trouble with, as oppose to practicing the stuff I'm already good at.

That's the plan at this point. Boring as gently caress; but gotta do what I gotta do.

Hmph.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, try this: play all eighth notes, but accent the notes you would normally be playing, for example

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

1 & 2 &3 & 4 &

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Of course, start it off slow...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Underflow posted:

I'd say it's worn roundwounds on a Jazz with a fair amount of compression; and probably DI'ed. Nice song, btw.

Ah yeah, I just got into them recently - not their most involved bassline, but I really like that mwah sound!

Thanks guys, that's pretty helpful. I might have to try some flatwounds next time, my roundwounds are pretty dead but they don't really open up when I slide (haven't tried compression though) - that recording goes from very dark to fairly nasal depending on his playing so it sounds pretty versatile.

Also, I've been daydreaming about a fretless bass, and also a 5-string - is it worth getting a 5-string fretless? I've never actually played a fretless instrument so it would be a challenge with four strings

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also, try this: play all eighth notes, but accent the notes you would normally be playing, for example

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

1 & 2 &3 & 4 &

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Of course, start it off slow...

Thanks. That sounds really helpful too.
Didnt even think to try it and thats exactly what I'm looking for.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'd like some guidance on moving to flatwounds from knowledgable folks please. I've never used them on my bass before, but played on other basses with them and not enjoyed the feel much. I dig the sound and can see how it would work with my rig (Jazz > Ashdown ABM > 210/115) but they just have too much tension for me, feels like I'm playing a toy with plastic strings or something. Are there any flatwounds that are a bit looser so I can dig in more? I do a lot of pedal whole notes too, if I go flatwound does it affect the sustain enough to be noticeable?

I'm not really sure I'm looking for flatwounds, or whether I just think I am because I associate them with classic basslines.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

darkwasthenight posted:

I'd like some guidance on moving to flatwounds from knowledgable folks please. I've never used them on my bass before, but played on other basses with them and not enjoyed the feel much. I dig the sound and can see how it would work with my rig (Jazz > Ashdown ABM > 210/115) but they just have too much tension for me, feels like I'm playing a toy with plastic strings or something. Are there any flatwounds that are a bit looser so I can dig in more? I do a lot of pedal whole notes too, if I go flatwound does it affect the sustain enough to be noticeable?

I'm not really sure I'm looking for flatwounds, or whether I just think I am because I associate them with classic basslines.

Thomastick Infeld flats are real loose, but they are pretty expensive. I have some on my Marcus Miller jazz and I love them.

PhilintheBlank
Apr 17, 2007
further explanation on foot tapping and how it can work for you. Start very slow. tap your dominant foot on the down beat 1,2,3,4 and tap your non-dominant foot on the up beats. doing this allows in slower tempos will help solidify the sixteenth note. practice scales this way.

also, don't be content to just learn right hand technique or subdivision by itself. always play scales with your left hand. Scales are the language of music. learn them.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

baka kaba posted:

I looked up some pictures and videos of the band playing live and he plays some beat up custom thing with a J-pickup setup, regular Precision, and a Reggie Hamilton Jazz (which has a P pickup in the neck position).

Here's a good video that shows it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eykJpAhLomQ
The bass - http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0138700300

That kind of tone is not hard to get, you just need something with a pickup in the P position and freshish roundwound strings. That "mwah" you hear in this song is just from hitting the strings aggressively and having them buzz on the frets as you slide. Don't turn your tone control down or anything dumb like that.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

DrChu posted:

That kind of tone is not hard to get, you just need something with a pickup in the P position and freshish roundwound strings. That "mwah" you hear in this song is just from hitting the strings aggressively and having them buzz on the frets as you slide. Don't turn your tone control down or anything dumb like that.

I have a Precision and a Jazz, both from the early '70s, and honestly: if I just DI the Jazz through a tube pre-amp and a decent compressor the Jazz sounds almost exactly like the one in the vid he posted. The Precision through the same setup sounds bassier; like the sound Sting had on "Hole In My Life" from the first Police album; similar, but more meat to it.

Anyway, like you said; the approximate tone isn't that hard to get.

darkwasthenight posted:

If you do decide to change you'll notice you get used to the different feel very quickly. When I first switched to flats it took only a few weeks to make rounds feel thin and rubbery. Thomastiks are indeed pretty loose; so much so that I only use them on my short scales. If you're worried about sustain: check out the nylon tapewounds from Rotosound. Always forget the name, but they're the black ones. The surface of the string never sees the air, so the tone remains pristine. I can point you to one or two examples if you like - strings in question last changed ~15 years ago.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Underflow posted:

I have a Precision
If you do decide to change you'll notice you get used to the different feel very quickly. When I first switched to flats it took only a few weeks to make rounds feel thin and rubbery. Thomastiks are indeed pretty loose; so much so that I only use them on my short scales. If you're worried about sustain: check out the nylon tapewounds from Rotosound. Always forget the name, but they're the black ones. The surface of the string never sees the air, so the tone remains pristine. I can point you to one or two examples if you like - strings in question last changed ~15 years ago.

TruBass 88s are Roto's tapewound. They're great strings, but have a very "woody" tone to them in my opinion. La Bella's tapewounds I've found to be smoother, "thicker" sounding.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Scarf posted:

TruBass 88s are Roto's tapewound. They're great strings, but have a very "woody" tone to them in my opinion. La Bella's tapewounds I've found to be smoother, "thicker" sounding.

Don't know why I keep forgetting the name. Actually, I do: I once had a windfall and stocked up on my favourite string brands to last me the rest of my life. And then I go and never change them anyway...

I love that woody sound, btw. The effect is even stronger on a Rickenbacker. Hit the open strings and there's that 'plunnnk' like you just smacked a couple of huge tuned wardrobes together. And with the mute down so that everything upwards from the 7th fret or so gets dampened a bit it's almost as if you have instant access to two different instruments at the same time. The only drawback is that for some songs, the sound can just be too big.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I really want to try those Rotos sometime. I really like the way Chromes sound on my "P", though, and I don't want to change strings on my Dano because it's a pain to setup. Maybe I should just buy a new bass...

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I ended up pulling the trigger on a used Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. This might have been kind of dumb since I've never played through one before, but I liked what I read and change is good, right?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TyChan posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on a used Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. This might have been kind of dumb since I've never played through one before, but I liked what I read and change is good, right?

I doubt you'll be disappointed. And even if so, you should have NO problems unloading it again.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The tone in that Land of Talk song reminds me a lot of Graham Maby from Joe Jackson's band.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Seventh Arrow posted:

The tone in that Land of Talk song reminds me a lot of Graham Maby from Joe Jackson's band.

Yeah, you're right. I was trying to recall the Precision equivalent to that tone and mentioned Sting on the first Police album, but Maby comes much closer.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Cross-posted from Gear trades...

I'm looking to buy a short scale bass neck for a wacky project. Preferably an Epiphone EB-0 neck or any Gibson-styled knockoff headstock would be cool, but really anything with a working truss rod, usable frets and non-warped...ness is good.

Also preferably something on the cheaper side...like if you have one just laying around for some reason!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Um... Hello.

Ampeg does a B15N flip-top reissue.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Um... Hello.

Ampeg does a B15N flip-top reissue.

Yes please. If I had $4000 I wouldn't spend it on an amp, if I had $4000 to spend on an amp I probably would get something a little more practical (maybe a Reeves half-stack with money left over), but owning and playing through that flip-top would make me very, very happy. Not practical at all for most people, but really awesome. I suppose it would make sense for big recording studios that drop thousands for a preamp, etc.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

Yes please. If I had $4000 I wouldn't spend it on an amp, if I had $4000 to spend on an amp I probably would get something a little more practical (maybe a Reeves half-stack with money left over), but owning and playing through that flip-top would make me very, very happy. Not practical at all for most people, but really awesome. I suppose it would make sense for big recording studios that drop thousands for a preamp, etc.

I agree completely (I'd also love to have a Reeves). It's just nice to see Ampeg try and get back to their roots a little bit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

DrChu posted:

I looked up some pictures and videos of the band playing live and he plays some beat up custom thing with a J-pickup setup, regular Precision, and a Reggie Hamilton Jazz (which has a P pickup in the neck position).

Here's a good video that shows it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eykJpAhLomQ
The bass - http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0138700300

That's some fine research! Yeah my problem at this point might be that my experience of basses is jumping on one during rehearsal breaks in a band 6 years ago, and getting my own cheap Aria a year ago and playing that through a Microcube. I think I need to hit up a music store and start auditioning their stock...

Also I think someone was asking about finding progressions to play over, I found this the other day:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_chords_jam.php
Basically you can build your own by clicking on the fretboard which is nice and simple, I started using it to learn walking bass and actually try to sight read music. Has anyone seen anything similar out there that doesn't require a download and isn't limited to I IV V7 or whatever? The timing seems a bit off on this one...

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm curious how many watts the original fliptops had...anyone know?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
I think it was 30 watts? Not entirely sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm curious how many watts the original fliptops had...anyone know?

30 watts. Ashdown have just done a fliptop too, the Drophead: http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=valve. There's a 30w and a 200w version and they look amazing.