Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Every time this thread is bumped, another person reinstalls Deus Ex.

This time it's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cheezymadman posted:

Every time this thread is bumped, another person reinstalls Deus Ex.

This time it's me.

I don't know why anyone ever uninstalls it. It's become part of the regular post-reformat install chain for me. Windows, drivers, antivirus, Opera, Office, Deus Ex. And since you can remove the CD check really easily, even losing the disc is no longer an excuse.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't know why anyone ever uninstalls it. It's become part of the regular post-reformat install chain for me. Windows, drivers, antivirus, Opera, Office, Deus Ex. And since you can remove the CD check really easily, even losing the disc is no longer an excuse.

I picked it up in a Steam sale a while back, along with Invisible War (:barf:), so that's not an issue at all. Never got around to installing it until just now.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

On a really old drive left in a cupboard somewhere I've still got a copy of Deus Ex with some really weird mods I made. I remember Cluster Lams which as soon as you threw them would spawn another lam every time the lam object got updated by the game, this of course slowed the game down to a halt as soon as it exploded (and before).

It's coming back to me now, didn't you have to insert the package in the ini file and then spawn from whatever you compiled to?

I have a memory of spawning my giant rocket launching pigeons who's collision detection was a bit off because the scale factor never worked out on both. Spawn Ben.GPig or something.

Oh, and the game is crying out for HAMs and HAWs. I don't know if they really exist but why not blow up an entire level. You have to escape the blast of course.

Good times. I might have to fish some of that out.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Did you mod it so that the sound when you threw a LAM was JC saying "A bomb!"?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Cheezymadman posted:

I picked it up in a Steam sale a while back, along with Invisible War (:barf:), so that's not an issue at all. Never got around to installing it until just now.

Hey man, Invisible War had really great...

...menu music.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Invisible war was fun for a while and if you didn't enjoy throwing dead/dying people at their grieving relatives in Cairo you have no sense of fun.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Captain Novolin posted:

Invisible war was fun for a while and if you didn't enjoy throwing dead/dying people at their grieving relatives in Cairo you have no sense of fun.

I still say that, having played IW a couple years after beating Deus Ex, it's a great game on it's own terms. I personally enjoyed loving around in the world, you were too powerful but it made it pretty funny to play a complete poo poo-heel like I did.

I think I had an "always double-cross" role-playing rule, because so many situations would involve you picking a side in some dispute. Example: ruin one coffee shop, and then kill the owner of the other as he's thanking you. I always killed every NPC I could before leaving an area.

Basically, if I didn't have a use for someone, or I wasn't keeping them alive to make their deaths more ironic, then I killed them. It was great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never beaten more people to death with a trash can than in Invisible War.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I finished IW but the tiny loving levels just killed it for me. Some of the level design is really good though. I might have to play it again. It was underwhelming, not awful.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Nathilus posted:

I finished IW but the tiny loving levels just killed it for me. Some of the level design is really good though. I might have to play it again. It was underwhelming, not awful.

I agree, IW would be significantly more tolerable if it weren't for the awful, awful loading times. There were some cool moments in that game I wouldn't mind retreading but the thought of how long I'd spend just waiting puts me off every time.

Same with Thief 3! Wanna deal with those golems again.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I remember being amused that you could get through a few doors with cutting lasers blocking them with clever use of crates and barrels.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

Nathilus posted:

My biggest problem was the load times, which in Windows 7 required me to alt+tab back in for some reason. But I dealt with that and hardly remember it, so it was an engaging game.

And as a fan of the original, it's kind of hosed up that they just chose an ending for the first game and then basically made it fail. If I remember correctly JC merges with Helios, but then it doesn't really work because apparently the new Denton from the second game is needed. So they essentially just went "now THIS character has to make the exact same choice!" to give this game more meaning whilst making GBS threads all over the original.

Still, throwing bodies around Cairo was a ton of fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

androo posted:

And as a fan of the original, it's kind of hosed up that they just chose an ending for the first game and then basically made it fail. If I remember correctly JC merges with Helios, but then it doesn't really work because apparently the new Denton from the second game is needed. So they essentially just went "now THIS character has to make the exact same choice!" to give this game more meaning whilst making GBS threads all over the original.

No, they made all three happen at once, which was actually really clever.JC merges with Helios but the net explodes, meaning Helios now can't do anything. Meanwhile the collapse of global society means the Illuminati sweep in and rescue the day, and are therefore ruling the world at the beginning of IW.

If anything, that was the best part of IW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IW had the worst UI in the history of FPS games, and I'm including poo poo like System Shock 1

most of the reasons IW is a poo poo game are technical issues, but the technical issues are big enough that I can't really well ignore them because you can still gently caress around with trash cans, or something.

to it's credit, at the end of the game, I hated every faction leader, and was pleasantly surprised at the ending options.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 30, 2011

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Fag Boy Jim posted:

IW had the worst UI in the history of FPS games, and I'm including poo poo like System Shock 1

most of the reasons IW is a poo poo game are technical issues, but the technical issues are big enough that I can't really well ignore them because you can still gently caress around with trash cans, or something.

But, but you can throw them for almost 10 feet before hitting a wall sometimes!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly, I'm kinda pissed that DX3 is a prequel because the Omar owned and I wanted to see more of them.

calranthe
Jul 2, 2009
Having done a search and not seen this on the site, I thought it worthy of a mention TNM a full conversion mod for Deus Ex, seven years in the making and is pretty sweet.

http://thenamelessmod.com/real/

It is a large download for a classic game, 850mb win32 executable and 1.4gb iso.

Well worth it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

calranthe posted:

Having done a search and not seen this on the site, I thought it worthy of a mention TNM a full conversion mod for Deus Ex, seven years in the making and is pretty sweet.

http://thenamelessmod.com/real/

It is a large download for a classic game, 850mb win32 executable and 1.4gb iso.

Well worth it.

No, we've been talking about it in this thread. I say talking, it's more like half of us dismissing it off hand and the other half of us saying "no really, it's really good."

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
It's next on my list after a Shifter + Biomod playthrough.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr Snofeld posted:

No, we've been talking about it in this thread. I say talking, it's more like half of us dismissing it off hand and the other half of us saying "no really, it's really good."
Some of us can do both at once.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Some of us can do both at once.

We are Daedalus. We are Icarus. We hate TNM and we also love it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I've been doing a mostly melee/tranq/grenade run and just finished Hell's Kitchen but remember that later in the game commandos are really tough to take out with anything short of a shotgun to the face. Can I take them out with the baton/prod or am I going to have to resort to heavier weapons later on?

Also biomod has made this game awesome(r). I was so pleased to see the strength mods combined into one.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Witchfinder General posted:

I've been doing a mostly melee/tranq/grenade run and just finished Hell's Kitchen but remember that later in the game commandos are really tough to take out with anything short of a shotgun to the face. Can I take them out with the baton/prod or am I going to have to resort to heavier weapons later on?

Also biomod has made this game awesome(r). I was so pleased to see the strength mods combined into one.

They have a sweet spot (like right above the belt line or something) on their back where you can one shot them. Or just prod them twice.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Witchfinder General posted:

I love using the baton in Biomod. Or rather, Paul's Blackjack. Combined with Silent Running and the vision aug that lets you see NPCs through walls. Run out, club on the back of the head, move on.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

XausF1 posted:

They have a sweet spot (like right above the belt line or something) on their back where you can one shot them. Or just prod them twice.
Cool, thanks. Was afraid I'd have to keep finding ways to sneak around them or something.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I love using the baton in Biomod. Or rather, Paul's Blackjack. Combined with Silent Running and the vision aug that lets you see NPCs through walls. Run out, club on the back of the head, move on.
Yeah, I just picked up Silent Running, I'm looking forward to some of the other augs. I feel like in my first playthrough I used maybe 1/3 of them and never got around to some of the cooler stuff like the spy drone.

I'm really trying to limit my run-and-gun playing from the first time around and am just being a sneaky :cop:-bastard. Feels much more rewarding.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
And the tranqdarts remain viable until the end against all organic targets. Also, if you have master pistol skill and modded your 10mm pistol, it's a total beast which kills almost everything with a single headshot.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've always played rather slealthy so I'm doing the opposite this play through and loving people in the face with my rifles. And the flame thrower. Must use more flamethrower. I wish there was more inventory space.

Everybody will die. Apart from private lloyd. He was in my class at the academy. We were buddies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Commandos can be handled with Active Defense and ballistic protection, or just plain sneaking up behind them and cutting them in half with the DTS.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dr Snofeld posted:

Just chiming in again to say that the Nameless Mod is awesome. I would find it very difficult to believe that someone that likes Deus Ex would be at all disappointed with the Nameless Mod, except for the gay premise.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What was so bad about the UI of System Shock 1? The only problems I had with it was the having to click on the ammo type to reload deal and container contents display overriding my other windows, but it wasn't that annoying.

If you're talking about the non-fullscreen UI then yeah, that was pretty bad.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

God damnit thread, just started a new game with Biomod and Deus Exe. I'm digging the scaled GUI and proper widescreen.

Doing no-kill with the NSF because I'll feel bad later, but I'm gonna snipe the poo poo out of UNATCO.

It's lame how kill-centric the points/leveling system is, even though Shifter claims to help remedy this. I could have helped blow the NSF holding hostages in the subway away and gained a ton of points, but instead I sneaked onto the train and got nothing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, it's cool that there are mods that try and reward the player for things other than killing. Ideally though, in a game like Deus Ex, the only really fair way to do it seems like it would be to just give the player a set amount of xp per level or something. That way, no matter what part of the game you're playing, a player who kills everybody will be rewarded just as much as somebody who ghosts around everywhere.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 31, 2011

TyrantGuardian
Jan 26, 2011
For all the talk about how people should play it vanilla at first, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the game a lot more with the Shifter mod installed. I tried the game out vanilla at first but for some reason never got around to finishing it.

Re-Playing it from the start with the Shifter mod made me seriously unable to stop playing. I just went straight through the game within a couple of days like a madman. I think it came down to actually being awarded skill points for doing non-story related things.

Been playing a bit of TNM and it's pretty impressive with all the voice-acting even though some of it is second-rate.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TyrantGuardian posted:

Re-Playing it from the start with the Shifter mod made me seriously unable to stop playing. I just went straight through the game within a couple of days like a madman. I think it came down to actually being awarded skill points for doing non-story related things.

To be clear: you gain skill points for flushing unflushed toilets in Shifter/Biomod. It loving owns.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

androo posted:

God damnit thread, just started a new game with Biomod and Deus Exe. I'm digging the scaled GUI and proper widescreen.

Doing no-kill with the NSF because I'll feel bad later, but I'm gonna snipe the poo poo out of UNATCO.

It's lame how kill-centric the points/leveling system is, even though Shifter claims to help remedy this. I could have helped blow the NSF holding hostages in the subway away and gained a ton of points, but instead I sneaked onto the train and got nothing.
You get skill points for sneaking past guards instead of killing them, though. Not sure how much you get, though.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To be clear: you gain skill points for flushing unflushed toilets in Shifter/Biomod. It loving owns.

And it's only 2 skill points for a handful of toilets throughout the game, so it's not breaking game balance or anything. Just a silly little joke that you can easily miss entirely as I did on my first Shifter playthrough.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Supreme Court posted:

You get skill points for sneaking past guards instead of killing them, though. Not sure how much you get, though.

Honestly this is the worst part about Shifter/Biomod. You do get points for this but you get almost nothing. I'm not really sure how it calculates this. I'm fairly certain you give up your skill points if a guard is put into any kind of alert mode, even if its just "is something over there?.... guess not". You do however get the most skill points (I think) by knocking out someone who is unaware of your presence and still a decent amount of you manage to knock someone who is alert unconscious. 15 and 11 points respectively, from memory.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, Shifter really turns me into mass-murder mode for the skillpoints. You also get more for longe range kills, non-lethal takedowns, and for stronger enemies. Prodding a MiB gives you a whopping 105 points! And of course, Shifters random-loot system also makes sure MiBs have awesome rewards when they don't explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, the biomod stuff is pretty cool. I like the changes they made with regard to helping the augs work better (leave the battery one on all the time, some augs only drain when in use, etc.) but the distracting quality of the skill point system makes me want to turn it off and go vanilla. The climbing feature is sometimes OK. I wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Also, I think you can regularly get around 20 points or more when you successfully headshot a standard soldier from a distance (usually with the sniper rifle).

Samopsa posted:

Prodding a MiB gives you a whopping 105 points! And of course, Shifters random-loot system also makes sure MiBs have awesome rewards when they don't explode.

Tranq darts also work fairly well at stopping them too, although you only get about 50 points that way.