Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My only complaint for Republic Commando is that it was too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
And that there was no sequel.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

My only complaint is that it wasn't followed by Imperial Commando.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

movax posted:

Oh good, they put him as General Kargin on the cover now. But yes, the Japanese art is way better.

The Japanese covers for all of the NJO are loving amazing. Seriously, http://www.theforce.net/books/bookcovers/jpn_njo.asp

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SeanBeansShako posted:

I actually thought the length was just about right. It was clearly starting to lose development steam towards the end of Kashyyyk ("gently caress it, let's throw in another room of super battle droids"), and I think if they had dragged it out more it would have gone downhill. It's like Portal; long enough to get familiar with the gimmick and have some fun with it, but not so long that it gets tedious. A sequel would be pretty rad, though.

I was also a little surprised that at the end, they don't all get killed to show that, badasses though they are, they're ultimately still considered expendable and replaceable.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Japanese covers for all of the NJO are loving amazing. Seriously, http://www.theforce.net/books/bookcovers/jpn_njo.asp

The art may be nice, but they fail to meet the Lando quota. :colbert:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Derek Dominoe posted:

The art may be nice, but they fail to meet the Lando quota. :colbert:
What's with all the pictures of Lando being in that pose with the blaster rifle?

"I've been doing this same drat pose for thirty years. I did other things in the movies, guys. Have me running or something."

Poor Billy-Dee.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Republic Commando was a fantastic game and I have no idea why it didn't sell more or get better press. I blame the complete glut of Star Wars merchandise/games in that time period.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Republic Commando was a fantastic game and I have no idea why it didn't sell more or get better press. I blame the complete glut of Star Wars merchandise/games in that time period.

That and it's a prequel property. I think that alone kept a lot of older casual Star Wars fans away from it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

And that there was no sequel.

Well that too, obviously. We want to play patriotic dumb as bricks Stormie Commandos!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just finished playing "The Force Unleashed" parts 1 and 2. Every bit as silly, over-the-top, and hyperbolic as I'd heard, but pretty fun for all of that, and neither one was long enough to get really boring.

The part that surprised me was that, for all of its ridiculous, over-powered shenanigans, the games still had better story, more character, and deeper emotion than the prequels. I know that's setting the bar pretty low, but I was impressed despite myself.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Phylodox posted:

The part that surprised me was that, for all of its ridiculous, over-powered shenanigans, the games still had better story, more character, and deeper emotion than the prequels.

I absolutely agree the prequels lacked emotion and characterization and story, but let's not get carried away here...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, they shelved that awesome looking Indiana Jones game they were making with the same tech for Force Unleashed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, they shelved that awesome looking Indiana Jones game they were making with the same tech for Force Unleashed.
And made some mediocre Wii/PSP game in it's place. It's probably going to be another 5 years of so until we get another Indy game, poo poo.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well that too, obviously. We want to play patriotic dumb as bricks Stormie Commandos!
Bonus level where on a routine patrol on Tatooine, a drunken husband-wife pair of moisture farmers pull knives on you while screaming incoherently about how their good-for-nothing nephew stole their car and droids.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

Bonus level where on a routine patrol on Tatooine, a drunken husband-wife pair of moisture farmers pull knives on you while screaming incoherently about how their good-for-nothing nephew stole their car and droids.

That would be so sweet.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Slantedfloors posted:

Wasn't this the plot of that fan film that was doing the rounds a decade ago? It was like an episode of "Cops" but with stormtroopers.

edit: Troops, but its take on things was a little different.

that awful man fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 30, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

that awful man posted:

Wasn't this the plot of that fan film that was doing the rounds a decade ago? It was like an episode of "Cops" but with stormtroopers.
It's entirely possible. I try to avoid fanfilms as a general rule, but 10-years ago me was not so discerning. It might just be me half-remembering something.

But seriously, Owen and Beru shot first. And those Jawas were pulling drive-bys in Anchorhead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yes, it was from TROOPS.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes, it was from TROOPS.

Looking at that article...I can't believe Troops is 14 years old now. drat.

Also the guy who wrote/directed Troops went on to write Tag and Bink as well as stories/episodes for Star Wars Tales and the Clone War cartoon.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chairman Capone posted:

I absolutely agree the prequels lacked emotion and characterization and story, but let's not get carried away here...

Yeah seriously Force Unleashed in a way is everything wrong with the prequels minus the "Being dull" part. It certainty is...interesting but it's a total Jedi power fantasy like the prequels, focused on FASTER AND MORE INTENSE.

It's hard for my explain but in TFU2 I liked the exchange, corny as it was "They're NOT real!" "They're real to me!". I think the delivery was good despite the cheese somehow. I dunno.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah seriously Force Unleashed in a way is everything wrong with the prequels minus the "Being dull" part. It certainty is...interesting but it's a total Jedi power fantasy like the prequels, focused on FASTER AND MORE INTENSE.

Agreed 100%, but so is the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon and that was awesome.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That and it's a prequel property. I think that alone kept a lot of older casual Star Wars fans away from it.
Bingo. There are quite a few good FPSes and I don't have time to play them all, and I wasn't going to waste my time and money shooting annoying battle droids or those bug things from episode 2. Maybe I'll pick it up next time it's a Steam special.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's hard for my explain but in TFU2 I liked the exchange, corny as it was "They're NOT real!" "They're real to me!". I think the delivery was good despite the cheese somehow. I dunno.

TFU actually explored interesting Star Wars universe concepts that people WANTED to see more of.

Specifically, they wanted things like Darth Vader tearing things up during a Clone War.

Does anyone remember a single existential or philosophical or interesting concept from the prequels about cloning?

I mean, it was basically Dragonball Z : Star Wars, but at least TFU actually talked about what being a clone meant.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

TFU actually explored interesting Star Wars universe concepts that people WANTED to see more of.

Specifically, they wanted things like Darth Vader tearing things up during a Clone War.

I never asked for this. In fact the less I know about Vader the happier I was :(

dadsdementia.jpg
Jul 17, 2010

by Ozma

Gammatron 64 posted:

Because of Star Wars, I wanted to be a pilot. Because you need at least 70 hours of flight time at $200 an hour, I didn't become a pilot. :smith:

Actually, it's only 40 hours, and you can find rentals and instructors that bring the cost to about $150 an hour...

So go become a pilot. :)

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't see the problem with this. I always thought Jedi would act like this. It doesn't make bounty hunters or storm troopers or Rogue Squadron or guys like Han and Lando less cool when you make Jedi awesome.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When you get right down to it, The Force Unleashed is a game, though. Unlike movies where everything serves the story, in a game everything serves the gameplay. Using the Force in more subtle, restrained ways might have been more in keeping with how it was presented in the original trilogy, but it might have hampered the play. I enjoyed the game on its own terms, trying not to judge it by film criteria, and that might have been why I was able to enjoy it more than some.

I don't think that The Force Unleashed represents everything that's wrong with the prequel trilogy. The excessive, overblown uses of the Force and lightsabers in the prequels was as terrible as it was because it was gratuitous. It served no purpose in the story. There were no emotions behind any of it, it was just flashy imagery without a good story or characters to back it up.

Say what you will about The Force Unleashed (and I won't deny that it does present the Force in the same exaggerated way the prequels do), but it had itself a more coherent story and better characterization than the prequels. Also, I think Sam Witwer did a pretty good job as the apprentice. I certainly liked him a lot more than I liked Anakin, the supposed protagonist of the prequels.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

dadsdementia.jpg posted:

Actually, it's only 40 hours, and you can find rentals and instructors that bring the cost to about $150 an hour...

So go become a pilot. :)

Depends on the kind of private license you're getting, IIRC. The bare minimum is 40 but people rarely do it in 40. I might try for a pilot's license again once I'm in a financially stable situation. At the moment, I don't have a real job and I can't even afford a place to live in.

I have flown a plane though, and that's something not a lot of people can say. It got an otherwise extremely nerdy guy laid.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phylodox posted:

When you get right down to it, The Force Unleashed is a game, though. Unlike movies where everything serves the story, in a game everything serves the gameplay. Using the Force in more subtle, restrained ways might have been more in keeping with how it was presented in the original trilogy, but it might have hampered the play. I enjoyed the game on its own terms, trying not to judge it by film criteria, and that might have been why I was able to enjoy it more than some.

I'm on the last level now, and I must say, I very much enjoyed pulling a loving Imperial Star Destroyer out of low orbit. Insane yes, but also very fun.

But gently caress the game and it's effect on canon, I choose to ignore that part.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

movax posted:

I'm on the last level now, and I must say, I very much enjoyed pulling a loving Imperial Star Destroyer out of low orbit. Insane yes, but also very fun.

But gently caress the game and it's effect on canon, I choose to ignore that part.

Honestly, if you worry about cannon with anything outside the original trilogy you're just begging for an aneurysm or something. I try to just enjoy whatever supplementary Star Wars media I choose to inflict upon myself as stand-alone or alternate-universe fare.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah but then you miss out on the fun of watching wookiepedia try and make sense of it all, like a puzzle where none of the pieces fit.

Also I should clarify I thought Force Unleashed was fun as a game too, just saying it's "more emotional" or a "better plot" than the prequels is stretching it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but then you miss out on the fun of watching wookiepedia try and make sense of it all, like a puzzle where none of the pieces fit.

No, you don't. You can watch other people give themselves aneurysms all you want without having to do it as well. Schadenfreude, thy name is "Star Wars Expanded Universe".

quote:

Also I should clarify I thought Force Unleashed was fun as a game too, just saying it's "more emotional" or a "better plot" than the prequels is stretching it.

I don't think it is at all. I think you're looking at this the wrong way: my statement wasn't meant so much as an endorsement of the game so much as a scathing indictment of the prequel trilogy. Honestly, they set the bar so low and fail on so many fundamental levels that you would have to try really, really hard to do worse.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My big complaint with TFU's plot is the same complaint others have at the NJO, or KJA's Dark Jedi of the week plots, and stuff like that. Its ridiculous one-upmanship devalues the movie characters and the struggles they went through.

Luke was the last Jedi? Well looks like the Rebel Alliance had a Jedi general as their main strategist all along!

Luke is the only one powerful enough to defeat Vader? Vader himself had his own ultra-powerful apprentice who could not only defeat Vader, but could take on Palpatine single-handedly!

Luke struggled to learn how to lift an X-Wing out of a swamp? Here's a guy who can pull a loving star destroyer out of space!

The Rebel Alliance fought for years to slowly be strong enough to take on the Empire? Starkiller single-handedly made the entire Rebellion himself and then won a ton of major victories for them.

Vader is a figure that strikes fear into the hearts of the Rebels? They loving beat his rear end and arrested him only a year or so beforehand!

Just every single plot development in the game screamed, "Let's show how Starkiller can one-up anyone from the movies because he's so BADASSSSSS!" Haden Blackman's comments in interviews don't really help dispute this point.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Just every single plot development in the game screamed, "Let's show how Starkiller can one-up anyone from the movies because he's so BADASSSSSS!"

This was 100% the entire point of the TFU games

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I don't think it is at all. I think you're looking at this the wrong way: my statement wasn't meant so much as an endorsement of the game so much as a scathing indictment of the prequel trilogy. Honestly, they set the bar so low and fail on so many fundamental levels that you would have to try really, really hard to do worse.

That's not even trying though to think critically, it's just labeling anything as better because "it's more X than the entire prequel trilogy" has become a bit of a meme here. They're both really awful just in different ways. It's certainty more entertaining than the prequels but the difference between entertaining and good is very broad.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
You know, it occurs to me that Jedi Knight had a very strong Indiana Jones feel. The protagonist is a stubbly, rough-around-the-edges badass who uses a unique signature weapon. He's chasing a weird evil guy who is trying to discover a mystical artifact of immense power. Along the way he visits numerous exotic locations and fights Nazis Space Nazis as he tracks the main bad guy and the artifact. He fights the bad guy's beautiful but deadly female assistant. He crashes an airplane a spaceship. Eventually they end up in an arid desert canyon and have their big showdown. All of this is set to a score by John Williams. I mean, if you told me to imagine "Indiana Jones in a sci-fi setting" it would end up pretty drat close to Jedi Knight.

Maybe it was just the pixelation, but Jedi Knight seemed closer to that grungy, worn aesthetic that made the OT so interesting, rather than the excessively clean, smooth environments from Jedi Outcast and later games. I wish it ran on Vista. :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Honestly, if you worry about cannon with anything outside the original trilogy you're just begging for an aneurysm or something. I try to just enjoy whatever supplementary Star Wars media I choose to inflict upon myself as stand-alone or alternate-universe fare.

Most of Zahn, Stackpole and Allston's stuff I accept as canon with no worries. It's just really ridiculous or retarded stuff I have an issue with (like Chairman Capone said, ridiculous one-upmanship)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's not even trying though to think critically, it's just labeling anything as better because "it's more X than the entire prequel trilogy" has become a bit of a meme here. They're both really awful just in different ways. It's certainty more entertaining than the prequels but the difference between entertaining and good is very broad.

Well, I wasn't posting about my critical opinion of the games, I was saying that I was surprised by a combination of how good they were and how terrible the prequels were. That's the thing about the prequels, you never really reach the bottom of how awful they were, you just keep realizing new ways in which they suck.

As for judging The Force Unleashed on its own merits, that opens the topic up to things like personal taste. In my opinion, I don't think it was awful at all. It had is merits and its flaws. Did it succeed at what it intended to do? As a Jedi power fantasy? Yes. As a tonally and logically consistent continuation of the original Star Wars trilogy? Not so much. While the Force was, as everyone agrees, portrayed as pretty over-the-top and ridiculous (which was a function of the gameplay) and the romantic subplot seemed a tad perfunctory, I think Starkiller himself was handled pretty well. His almost godlike powers aside, I think he was a relatable and likeable protagonist who undergoes a clearly defined character arc. His relations with the other characters flow logically from his personality and motivations, and, as I said earlier, Sam Witwer does a pretty good job as the voice actor.

This really is more than in depth than I intended to get into this subject, but I don't think it's fair to lump these games in with the prequel trilogy and just label them all "awful". While they may not be perfect, The Force Unleashed games work on some levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This was 100% the entire point of the TFU games

Yeah. And why I can't stand them.