Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
That was fast. Digital Bits didnt mention a date, but blu-ray.com has it pegged for April 5, 2011. They even have the front and back cover scans. For those wondering, it seems to be the uncut version. I know that's a big point of contention with this film.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-Beyond-Return-of-the-Joker-Blu-ray/20237/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Space_Butler posted:

That was fast. Digital Bits didnt mention a date, but blu-ray.com has it pegged for April 5, 2011. They even have the front and back cover scans. For those wondering, it seems to be the uncut version. I know that's a big point of contention with this film.

That's cool, and yeah there's a scene that's completely different in the uncut version. It's so different it changes the entire point of the movie.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
According to posters on blu-ray.com, some Canadian retailers have it in their systems that Tron and Tron Legacy will be released in their various configurations on April 5. God, do I love the turnaround time on Disney releases.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Space_Butler posted:

According to posters on blu-ray.com, some Canadian retailers have it in their systems that Tron and Tron Legacy will be released in their various configurations on April 5. God, do I love the turnaround time on Disney releases.

Also according to this the price for the big pack, which includes TRON: Legacy 3D, TRON: Legacy, and TRON (with DVDs of both of them and a digital copy), is going to be $66.73 or so on Amazon, which is the price of buying the two blu-rays (+DVD) separately. So you're getting a 3D blu-ray and a digital copy for free, essentially.

It's pretty nice I guess, since who knows, I might get a 3D TV in the future.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Joe Don Baker posted:

That's cool, and yeah there's a scene that's completely different in the uncut version. It's so different it changes the entire point of the movie.

"A" scene is completely 100% different, yes, and about half of the other scenes have significant differences as well. It's definitely important.

Apparently it's in 4:3, which is the original aspect ratio even though the current DVD crops it. Like the original Justice League series they most likely laid out the shots with intent to crop to 16:9, as sort of a best-of-both-worlds type thing for Cartoon Network. Kinda came back to bite them, but oh well, it's still a better fate than a lot of other animation gets.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Since people are asking selling advice in here, how do these prices sound if shipping is included (although I would be trying to sell them 2+ at a time)? I'm kind of out of the loop and tried to use Amazon as a barometer.

(please don't quote this since I plan to edit it out after I get some advice so the thread isn't clogged up)

Bad Santa - $12
Band Of Brothers - $35
Bridge To Terabithia - $10
Carrie - $8
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (UK import) - $10
Die Another Day *sealed* - $10
Dr. No - $10
Dude Where's My Car - $8
For Your Eyes Only *sealed* - $15
From Russia With Love *sealed* - $13
Groundhog Day - $10
Live And Let Die - $10
Michael Clayton - $10
Monster's Ball - $10
Pinocchio - $17
Rescue Dawn - $5
Sleeping Beauty - $20
Snow White - $17
The Aviator - $8
The Cell (Canadian import) - $15
The General - $20
The Longest Day - $15
The Sand Pebbles *sealed* - $17
The Seventh Seal (UK import) - $15
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (tin cover)- $20
Thunderball *sealed* - $15

And I was thinking of maybe a bundle price where it would be $315-320 shipped (was originally 310 until I remembered Paypal fees) for all of them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Why are you getting rid of The General? :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Why are you getting rid of The General? :(

It makes me so sleepy :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GonSmithe posted:

Holy sweet Jesus that looks loving beautiful.

The picture quality is pretty good, but it looks like the movie is tinted red for some weird reason.

For comparison, this is what was posted on DVDBeaver:

This is a 5 second color correction done in Photoshop:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GrandpaPants posted:

The picture quality is pretty good, but it looks like the movie is tinted red for some weird reason.

Alice in Wonderland was shot in Technicolor; Technicolor has a strong red bias.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I picked up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest today. Anyone know why Blu-rays for the movies in this series have a DVD logo on the bottom? Was Music Box Films so cheap they just squished the DVD packaging down?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VoodooXT posted:

Alice in Wonderland was shot in Technicolor; Technicolor has a strong red bias.
Isn't this easily solved by changing the color temp on your TV?

edit: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind hasn't gotten reviewed yet, but Amazon just emailed to say that my copy shipped out.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 28, 2011

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
My PC's bluray drive has stopped recognizing blurays after power dvd crashed. It works fine with DVDs but if you put a bluray in it thinks its empty. Ive watched whole bluray movies before with no problem, google search just gets me similar problems but no solutions.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Carecat posted:

My PC's bluray drive has stopped recognizing blurays after power dvd crashed. It works fine with DVDs but if you put a bluray in it thinks its empty. Ive watched whole bluray movies before with no problem, google search just gets me similar problems but no solutions.

Sounds stupid, but did you try resetting your computer yet?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Sporadic posted:

Sounds stupid, but did you try resetting your computer yet?

Yeah it's been off around three times so far.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

did you try uninstalling and reinstalling powerdvd?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Steve Yun posted:

Isn't this easily solved by changing the color temp on your TV?

Yeah, but it depends on how anal you are about watching the film as it was originally intended by the cinematographer and colorist.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

For anyone who hasn't called to get the fixed copy of Sunshine yet, you need to do this! It took less than 3 minutes. All you have to do is say "hey I'm calling about the Sunshine program" and they jump right on it and take all your info. There is absolutely no verification that you actually own it so you could get a free copy if you didn't already have it haha!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ApexAftermath posted:

For anyone who hasn't called to get the fixed copy of Sunshine yet, you need to do this! It took less than 3 minutes. All you have to do is say "hey I'm calling about the Sunshine program" and they jump right on it and take all your info. There is absolutely no verification that you actually own it so you could get a free copy if you didn't already have it haha!

Encouraging people to take advantage of such programs is what gets them shut down, or never started in the first place.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Red posted:

Encouraging people to take advantage of such programs is what gets them shut down, or never started in the first place.

It doesn't work anyway. Someone on the blu-ray forums said that it happened with Gladiator. He called about the program, he gave his info, they said they'd contact him in 1-2 weeks. They called him again in 1-2 weeks and asked him specific information like what is on the blu-ray case. Then, when he got the disc, it had something say where to send his old copy to.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wow, I didn't even know 10 was coming out on Blu-Ray. dehhhhhh deh-deh-deh-deh-deh-deh deh deh-deh dehhhh

ApexAftermath posted:

There is absolutely no verification that you actually own it so you could get a free copy if you didn't already have it haha!

lol!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Santa Sangre looks pretty good, and is absolutely packed with extras. One of my favorites by Jodorowsky, although I probably won't buy it.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Fayez Butts posted:

did you try uninstalling and reinstalling powerdvd?

Uninstalled and reflashed the drive firmware, no dice.

The bluray laser could have gone which might explain it?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon has another great Disney deal going on. Buy Alice In Wonderland (the original cartoon, not the lovely live action remake) & Bambi, get $10 off the total. That makes it $34.98 for both of them.

Alice In Wonderland http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049GYXDG?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0049GYXDG

Bambi http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AKCMES?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004AKCMES

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 29, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Here is Amarcord, looking sort of drab and fuzzy. I'd like to chalk it up to the early 70s but the grain has the same blimpy look of The Leopard. Perhaps the film just looks like that, either way, FFD should be thrilled.

edit: realized that people might actually want a link...

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 30, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to gamble $12 on The Stranger. Obviously, we're not getting a Blu-Ray from vault materials owned by MGM, as seen on the excellent quality DVD. The press release does specify it's remastered from 35mm. Even a decent HD transfer from a 35mm print should look good, even if grainier.

However, I have a bad feeling it'll be another travesty like Gulliver's Travels. The CEO of the studio even said it was remastered, yet it was an upscale of the Winstar DVD with a hundred layers of DVNR added.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best Buy has a bunch of $10 Blu-Rays including Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Expendables, Apocalypse Now and more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...=3594900&loc=01

And here's a full list of their exclusive titles coming out this Tuesday. Most of them are priced at $10, and the list now includes Hotel Rwanda, the original Last House on the Left, and the original Thomas Crown Affair.

http://www.bestbuy.com/MovieExclusives

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think Gary Tooze lost his mind
(click play on the video at the top - it's not an ad)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Rules of Attraction comes out tuesday. :woop:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Is Robocop worth buying for $10 if I don't already have the DVD? There isn't some fancy-rear end version coming out in like a month, is there?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

doctor thodt posted:

Best Buy has a bunch of $10 Blu-Rays including Fantastic Mr. Fox

I'm going to crowd source this one and do whatever you guys tell me: do I buy this now, or wait for the inevitable Criterion release?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zenintrude posted:

I'm going to crowd source this one and do whatever you guys tell me: do I buy this now, or wait for the inevitable Criterion release?

Buy it now, the extras are lovely, but it's worth it for how goddamn amazing it looks in HD

also, it's the best Wes Anderson film (from a moron who has yet to see Rushmore).

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Egbert Souse posted:

I think Gary Tooze lost his mind
(click play on the video at the top - it's not an ad)

To be honest I'm surprised she kept her top on.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

Preorder for that (Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker) just popped up on Amazon.

$13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L9GM3A?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004L9GM3A

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Just an FYI

Disney sent me an e-mail yesterday saying the blu-rays for Pinocchio, Snow White and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 are going in the vault on April 30th, so buy them before it's too late.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Fantasia/Fantasia 2000

Fuuuuu...

Guess I need to finally get around to buying this, then. Thanks for the update.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just an FYI

Disney sent me an e-mail yesterday saying the blu-rays for Pinocchio, Snow White and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 are going in the vault on April 30th, so buy them before it's too late.
The first two have been out for a while, but that's really fast for Fantasia.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My dad bought The Kids are all Right on bluray and its great quality, but I'm a little disappointed since its really lacking compared to some other blurays I have (scott pilgrim/social network).

I can't wait for Blue Velvet on bluray thats gonna be awesome. Is the only other Lynch movie on bluray Dune?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sweet Smell of Blu-Ray.

Can't wait to take a bite out of that one. Like a cookie full of arsenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Ah damnit so it's probably gonna be like 8 years before Pinocchio gets a "Diamond Edition" right? Might as well get it now.

• Locked thread