Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you go through again to max out all the weapons, make sure you have something useful in addition to the loving flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Alpha Protocol

I've been spoiled a bit, so I know I should probably max out pistols + chainshot and the lockpick / hacking skills to avoid annoying minigames...

What else? Would the recruit difficulty be too annoying for a first playthrough?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Alpha Protocol

I've been spoiled a bit, so I know I should probably max out pistols + chainshot and the lockpick / hacking skills to avoid annoying minigames...

What else? Would the recruit difficulty be too annoying for a first playthrough?

Clearly someone wants the unlockable class. It'll be annoying any playthrough. Normally you don't have a lot of points and the game doesn't get rolling until you leave Saudi Arabia. Playing on Recruit basically means you have to wait an extra zone. It also means you'll probably have to leave and switch between zones so you're strong/equipped/skilled whatever enough to get through some of the difficulty spikes.

You cannot 100% stealth, every chapter ends with a forced boss fight. The end of the game has basically 0 stealth and a lot of shooting. If you're not prepped you're liable to get screwed over.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Alpha Protocol

You'll be fine with pistols. The combat in that game is piss easy, and chainshot is hilariously broken.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Xander77 posted:

Alpha Protocol

Pump stealth until you get passive awareness, then you can keep using it if you want or not. Being able to see enemies through walls is always useful.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
I can't believe I have played it yet, but God of War III if you guys please.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Xander77 posted:

Alpha Protocol

Don't flip out over picking the wrong conversation choice. And sometimes Mike will say something other than what you expected him to say based on the prompt. Roll with it. Don't worry if you kill someone you think you weren't supposed to kill or vice versa. There are no "mistakes" in conversation, only choices. That said, if you want to min/max your relationship with someone, check out their intel page and you can probably figure out what kind of things they do and don't like to hear. I would say that recruit on easy or normal difficulty wouldn't be too hard, but you wouldn't get to play with as many different skills and that is part of the fun.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Sir Xiphos posted:

I can't believe I have played it yet, but God of War III if you guys please.

The game's story takes place literally moments after where GoW II left off, and doesn't stop. If you want to know why everyone hates each other, you're going to need to either play the first two games or read a plot summary.

Take a thorough look around the area whenever you kill a boss. You'll find some sort of trophy that unlocks cheats you can gently caress around with on replays. The exception to this is one found extremely early in the game that you acquire without mass slaughter, it can be found in the room with Gaea's Heart, high up on the right hand side.

If you have played either of the other two God of War games you'll be very familiar with the combat system, this one isn't that new.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can get through AP without putting a single point into weapons and killing everything with assault rifles which is the most balanced weapon. All weapon skills do is give you special abilities (and ever so slight accuracy bumps) so aside from getting chain shot for pistols you're better off putting points in everything else but weapons. I cruised through recruit killing everything in sight on normal then played Veteran on hard for some real fun.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just grabbed Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition off the Impulse Sale. I played the hell out of Sim City 3000, but I've heard 4 is very different. Any advice?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

I just grabbed Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition off the Impulse Sale. I played the hell out of Sim City 3000, but I've heard 4 is very different. Any advice?

The Sim City 4 thread has a ton of great resources and add-ons. The only caveat is that you should play through the tutorial before installing anything because the re-done algorithms for land/road placement make the tutorial uncompleteable. Also, if you're on a really old computer some of the new systems can really hog your resources.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I have Disgaea 3 coming. I haven't played the other two so I don't know what I'm getting into.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Pump stealth until you get passive awareness, then you can keep using it if you want or not. Being able to see enemies through walls is always useful.

This is handy even if you don't plan to be stealthy. I always spend the 30 AP to get it no matter what I'm doing.

Also don't feel compelled to max the hacking/lockpicking skill - in order to get the highest level you have to specialize in sabotage, and it's really not worthwhile. The first bonus plus an armor mod is enough to deal with anything in the game (though some of the later ones can get tricky, if still manageable)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Alpha Protocol

Technical stuff

Hit the Alpha Protocol thread, make the INI fixes listed there to improve both performance and graphics.

Never use Reload Last Checkpoint when you die - instead go through Load Game. Reload Last has a nasty bug associated with it.

Gameplay stuff

Stealth 5 is always worthwhile for Master Awareness no matter what kind of class you're playing. Higher levels of stealth are great if you're playing a stealth character but not that useful otherwise.

You will need to be combat capable. Pistols are straight up broken once you have Chain Shot, assault rifles give you a nice balance between close and long range capability, shotguns are brutal asskickers at close range. I haven't figured out what SMGs are good for yet.

One point in sabotage so that you can bypass hacking, lockpicking and keypads with EMP grenades is useful even if you don't plan to upgrade sabotage any further.

You get a chance to respec once at character creation and once when you finish Saudi Arabia, so don't stress overmuch.

It's impossible to ghost the game, but it is possible to ghost some levels. Stealth is generally the harder way to play because you need to be good at both sneaking and combat, so you might want to save that for Veteran and play as a combat wombat when you're playing as a Recruit.

General advice

Reinforcing what gohuskies said - there are no mistakes, only choices. Don't flip out and spend ages reloading

For reference, my first playthrough was with a normal character, Normal difficulty, Stealth/Pistols/Sabotage, Professional demeanor, aiming for stealthy and nonlethal approaches. I'm currently most of the way through as a "shotgun rear end in a top hat" character - Easy difficulty, Recruit, Shotguns/Endurance/Technical, Aggressive demeanor, going for maximum body count. The second has definitely been easier so far but both were fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

Just bought J'Eanne D'Arc, what should I know about it?

Also hoping for something on this. Specifically, I'd like to know whatever characters won't be sticking around/aren't worth leveling for whatever reason.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Incidentally, I've started adding things to the wiki as they're mentioned here (Such as all these Alpha Protocol tips), so there are more games going up whenever they get requested.

This is far more manageable than going through the thread, and much easier to keep up with.

http://www.anthonyhobday.com/misc/wsik

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
So I picked up Rogue Galaxy recently, it's pretty cool, and there are some good tips going on in the wiki. But for six times now I got my poo poo wrecked by mother. loving. Mimics. I managed to kill one and was like :hellyeah: but then I ran into another one and it blew through my fuckin items supply like no other and wrecked my party :mad: Is there some kind of magic trick to approaching a treasure chest and knowing it's gonna be a Mimic, or is the game really trying to make me hate it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

my dog boyfriend!!! posted:

So I picked up Rogue Galaxy recently, it's pretty cool, and there are some good tips going on in the wiki. But for six times now I got my poo poo wrecked by mother. loving. Mimics. I managed to kill one and was like :hellyeah: but then I ran into another one and it blew through my fuckin items supply like no other and wrecked my party :mad: Is there some kind of magic trick to approaching a treasure chest and knowing it's gonna be a Mimic, or is the game really trying to make me hate it?

Judging from my experience with the game, it is actively trying to make you hate it. The game started off enjoyable for me at the beginning but towards the middle, I got aggravated and pissed off at all the grinding that I seemed to have to do, so I quit.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

If I remember correctly, As you open a mimic chest, you will actually be able to move and thats a clue. I also remember Mimic chests looking different (I think it was like a different colored lock on the front or something) but I might be bullshitting that.

Some other tips would be that you can use the one gun that makes platforms that you used on the first boss on mimics and you can goomba stomp them to death. I don't think it actually does any meaningful damage though.

Also, if you haven't learned it yet, the block really stupidly effective. You can make an attack that will almost kill you in one hit (This is basically every enemy attack by the way) deal like 10 damage by blocking.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Mimics have different colored locks than other chests. As for fighting them, the tactics I recommend are those I mentioned the last time someone asked, which boils down to "dodge fireball, return a few shots, repeat, and keep everyone the hell out of melee". There's a few other tips there if you're interested, I'm mostly pointing it out because I guess we're supposed to to aid the wiki and I'm still pretty amused by my angry rant about the Jungle Planet.

(gently caress the Jungle Planet)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So uh, I'm starting up Suikoden 2 and I just want to know if there's anything I should know before hand. Anything important? Anything at all? :unsmith:

blackguy32 posted:

Judging from my experience with the game, it is actively trying to make you hate it. The game started off enjoyable for me at the beginning but towards the middle, I got aggravated and pissed off at all the grinding that I seemed to have to do, so I quit.

Holding out on a sequel on the PS3 that fixes all the problems with the original myself :colbert:

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Skeezy posted:

So uh, I'm starting up Suikoden 2 and I just want to know if there's anything I should know before hand. Anything important? Anything at all? :unsmith:

If you want the true ending, you'll probably want to find a guide to recruiting all 108 stars.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Just started The Last Remnant for the PC, and have managed to get to Dillmoor with a Battle Rank of 3. Is there anything to know early game that will help me through the rest of the game?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thwack! posted:

Just started The Last Remnant for the PC, and have managed to get to Dillmoor with a Battle Rank of 3. Is there anything to know early game that will help me through the rest of the game?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post379326487

The battle rank stuff is the most important thing to know since you can get stuck if you grind too much.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post379326487

The battle rank stuff is the most important thing to know since you can get stuck if you grind too much.

To add to the battle rank thing, I disregarded this when I played through and did a moderate amount of grinding. Though I did almost get stuck once, the worse issue I had with too much grinding early is leveling up characters you get later on. The higher your battle rank compared to an enemy's, the more XP union members get from a fight, so I ended up wanting to add some new characters in near the end game, and found it almost impossible to boost their stats since my BR was so high compared to all the monsters I met.

I also made an uber post about this game:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=172&perpage=40#post385404897

It's not as comprehensive as Gwyrgyn Blood's, but it has a few extra tips if you get a bit OCD about the game like I did.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 30, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cbouncerrun posted:

Don't buy the flamethrower, it's awful.

This is probably the best advice. I reccomend between 2-3 guns you really like, 4 is too many and I find plasma cutter only pretty dull to play. Do NOT make flamethrower one of these.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Holding out on a sequel on the PS3 that fixes all the problems with the original myself :colbert:

I thoroughly enjoyed Rogue Galaxy, and I think it may be one of only two JRPGs I've finished.

The other was Tales of Symphonia, and both contain systems whereby you can upgrade your battle ability (Weapons in RG and spells in ToS) by fighting. I think this sort of thing just grips me.

My addiction to the weapon upgrade system in Rogue Galaxy may be the reason for my beating the game and then trudging through the end-game dungeon, which is 99 floors of monotony.

Incidentally, I used a pair of rubber bands to upgrade my weapons in Rogue Galaxy, so here are some tips for that:

Use this guide for weapon recipes:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/929240-rogue-galaxy/faqs/46872

To upgrade weapons on auto-pilot, go to a corner on the planet Rosa (I used a large square with houses in the middle, exits on either side and a save point near one of the exits), and attach rubber bands to your controller so that your character is running around in tight circles.

You'll get into fights, and if you're sufficiently levelled your friends will kill the enemies in one hit. Leave the game for ten minutes and your current weapon should be upgraded.

Note that if you're just starting out, you won't be strong enough to just leave it like this. Wait until later in the game.

It's ludicrous the amount of times I did this, but it would have been more ludicrous actually fighting all those battles.

Of course, all of this is a bit silly if you don't want the ultimate weapons, but I did.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Skeezy posted:

When you return to your home village at the beginning of the game, don't enter Nanami's home just yet. First, you need to turn around a big tree located at the north of the house. You'll gain one of the stars. Otherwise, you can gain it later but it's much longer and random.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Just started playing Tales of Destiny (The PSX version).

Is there anything I should know?

Mary just joined my party, and she's not attacking unless I basically force her to (Let the enemies get really close and run away so she's directly in front of them. How do I get her to run in when the battle starts and hit them?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Centipeed posted:

Just started playing Tales of Destiny (The PSX version).

Is there anything I should know?

Mary just joined my party, and she's not attacking unless I basically force her to (Let the enemies get really close and run away so she's directly in front of them. How do I get her to run in when the battle starts and hit them?

It's been a while but there should be a menu option to set your character's position and tactics. You should also turn off the option that forces you to automatically run away after attacking. The game has really weird difficulty spikes where everything is going easy but suddenly it gets butt loving hard. Grinding is generally slow and useless so you'll just have to tough out the harder fights and change your tactics up.

Don't sell any equipment until after a certain point. Midway through you'll reach a part where you think the game is ending but it's only an intermission. You lose all your money at this point but keep your items and after that you can start selling poo poo.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Nick Buntline posted:

Mimics have different colored locks than other chests. As for fighting them, the tactics I recommend are those I mentioned the last time someone asked, which boils down to "dodge fireball, return a few shots, repeat, and keep everyone the hell out of melee". There's a few other tips there if you're interested, I'm mostly pointing it out because I guess we're supposed to to aid the wiki and I'm still pretty amused by my angry rant about the Jungle Planet.

(gently caress the Jungle Planet)

:woop: Thanks duder. I peeped the wiki earlier and I'm already dreading the endgame bosses :smith:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Anything worth knowing for inFAMOUS?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

:woop: Thanks duder. I peeped the wiki earlier and I'm already dreading the endgame bosses :smith:

You should be dreading the entire second half of the game because every single part of it is loving awful except for maybe the island planet.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Muppetjedi posted:

Pick a side at the beginning and follow it. Good powers tend to do less damage but be a bit more efficient whereas Evil Powers tend to do lots of collateral damages (for example, Good grenades = Sticky grenades, bad grenades = cluster grenades).

If you want the trophy, be sure to consciously do the skillshots or whatever they're called as soon as possible. After you take control of a district, there won't be any enemies that spawn there, so in the end, you're stuck with a big city full of no one to beat up.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

As a counterpoint, I ignored all the BR stuff and was completely fine. It's not likely that it'll cause many problems unless you habitually stand in a zone grinding for 3 hours. So while you should maybe be aware of it, I wouldn't obsess over it.

Also, wasn't there some fan patch or some such for the PC version that allowed you to directly mess with your party member's equipment and junk?

Visti
Apr 26, 2010
So, this is sort of an odd one, but does anyone have any tips on Omikron: The Nomad Soul? I haven't fired it up yet and it has been years since I last saw it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Megaflare posted:

As a counterpoint, I ignored all the BR stuff and was completely fine. It's not likely that it'll cause many problems unless you habitually stand in a zone grinding for 3 hours. So while you should maybe be aware of it, I wouldn't obsess over it.

Also, wasn't there some fan patch or some such for the PC version that allowed you to directly mess with your party member's equipment and junk?

Yeah it's not that big of a deal, especially on the PC version. The most important thing is to just not grind on weaker enemies a lot and you should be fine.

Messing with your party member's equipment is just an .ini setting. Unfortunately, weapons/shields can still get overwritten when they upgrade so it's a little flaky. http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaking

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Messing with your party member's equipment is just an .ini setting. Unfortunately, weapons/shields can still get overwritten when they upgrade so it's a little flaky. http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaking

I really think they dropped the ball a bit on the party member equipping stuff. It's pretty handy for upgrading so many people at once, but on the other hand you shouldn't need to hack the game to give a party member the enormously overpowered doom weapon you just picked up. It's even more annoying when you come across shops full of weapons that Rush can't use, without using the wiki you have no idea what you should buy, and how you should upgrade it for a character to pick it up.

Also, the way you have no way of telling how many of a particular item they need to upgrade got on my nerves too. I reached a point near the end when everyone decided they needed some kind of dragon scale thing that was a 15% drop from a dragon. I ended up having to harvest 30 of the stupid things, it took nearly 4 hours :( Especially aggravating was that cat headed, 4 arm general idiot, who demanded like 8 of the drat things and then went ahead and demanded 4 more immediately afterwards :argh:

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 30, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Last Remnant turned me off because even after looking through a wiki, asking questions on forums, and searching Google, it was difficult to understand exactly how the game behaved under the bonnet.

Hiding mechanics from players and not having them easily explained surely means that players are just going to be unpleasantly surprised when something doesn't go the way they expect it to, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Muppetjedi posted:

It's far, far easier to play as an evil character. Good characters have to take care not to hurt civilians, and they have to try to humanely restrain enemies instead of killing them. Evil characters can literally just blow up everything in sight.

If you're playing evil, the arc lightning ability will be one of the most useful. It won't be lethal to the higher level enemies, but it will stun most foes in a mob once you've upgraded it.

Collecting the blast shards can make the game much easier. Pushing in the L joystick will reveal nearby ones on your map (the blue dots). It's really worth detouring to find them, especially during story missions where the levels are a pain to revisit.

One of the most useful abilities for any character is being able to recharge energy by riding power lines/train tracks. Since upgrades don't have prerequisites and you can buy them out of order, you should buy this as soon as you get the chance.

You may want to speed through the story missions to the point where you get certain abilities, like hover and the bullet shield. They make some of the side missions unbelievably more manageable.