Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003
I looked back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned, the EVO shift has been perm-rooted. Apparently unrevoked is also working on it but this method worked fine for me, now I just gotta wait for some ROMs!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=932153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
hooray bootloops after trying to install miui. For some reason the rom wouldn't install properly and now im left in the limbo between two roms. Going to try a different zip for miui first but hopefully i can still restore stock

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

hooray bootloops after trying to install miui. For some reason the rom wouldn't install properly and now im left in the limbo between two roms. Going to try a different zip for miui first but hopefully i can still restore stock

Be sure to wipe data, cache and dalvik cache between roms - never try to flash a new rom over an old without doing so.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

Be sure to wipe data, cache and dalvik cache between roms - never try to flash a new rom over an old without doing so.

yea I did that and I would have thought that if it had wiped properly then surely it wouldnt be able to try to boot the old rom. I think I've screwed up big time

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ralphus posted:

I looked back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned, the EVO shift has been perm-rooted. Apparently unrevoked is also working on it but this method worked fine for me, now I just gotta wait for some ROMs!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=932153

This may be a silly question, but does this root method result in wiping the current ROM? I know that part of the rooting process for EVO involved flashing a rooted ROM when finished. My wife hasn't had her Shift for very long, but I don't want wipe everything just to root it. I honestly don't even know if she'd use root for anything, so I'm contemplating just leaving it stock anyway.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

ok now I've got the rom installed but the language pack wont install, god knows why, it quits before I can see an error log. Do i have to install the language pack just after the rom, ie no reboot inbetween? if so does it matter if i flash the same rom twice?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

brc64 posted:

This may be a silly question, but does this root method result in wiping the current ROM? I know that part of the rooting process for EVO involved flashing a rooted ROM when finished. My wife hasn't had her Shift for very long, but I don't want wipe everything just to root it. I honestly don't even know if she'd use root for anything, so I'm contemplating just leaving it stock anyway.

You don't ever have to install a custom ROM. Custom recovery perhaps, but you can run stock rooted on EVO and EVO Shift as far as I can tell.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Tigren posted:

You don't ever have to install a custom ROM. Custom recovery perhaps, but you can run stock rooted on EVO and EVO Shift as far as I can tell.

The EVO was my first Android phone, so it may have just been the root process for that phone when it first came out, but I distinctly remember having to flash a rooted stock ROM as part of the process, which of course wiped out everything else. I guess my question is, does this process root the current stock ROM without wiping anything?

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

The Entire Universe posted:

Anyone able to recommend a rom for an Epic 4G?

I'm considering flashing this thing out of sheer desperation - Froyo is required on more and more apps while the possibility of this thing being updated "legitimately" is getting slimmer by the hour. So, the only viable option to make use of this phone will be to flash a rom with a version of the OS that isn't old, decrepit, and quickly becoming obsolete.

I tried DK28 and while I didn't notice any problems, I did return it to the DI18 stock. So yes, I know how to use Odin.

Personally, I would stay away from anything DK28. The couple times I've used it, I got frustrated with the UI lagginess and the random FCs.

If you really have your heart set on Froyo, I'd try Nebula Rom. I installed it the last time I played around with DK28 and it was somewhat more responsive than the stock 2.2 but much more laggy than stock 2.1. It looks like it uses a custom theme but it's pretty nice. I've also heard good things about Bonsai and Frankenstein but haven't used them personally. I think Bonsai and Frankenstein require you to convert the internal storage filesystem to EXT4 so they're a little more complicated to setup. Nebula can run either. I used it with the default RFS.

You can find threads for each of those roms on in the Epic Development forum on XDA.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Got miui working at last, I was being an idiot and was trying to flash completely the wrong file, got them mixed up somehow. This rom is simply amazing so far, it just looks so pretty. The a2sd doesn't work as well as it could but I still have enough room for all my apps so it's not too bad. I'd still like to know though if flashing the same rom twice is ok, is it just if you have a separate radio file that you flash twice thats bad.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

brc64 posted:

The EVO was my first Android phone, so it may have just been the root process for that phone when it first came out, but I distinctly remember having to flash a rooted stock ROM as part of the process, which of course wiped out everything else. I guess my question is, does this process root the current stock ROM without wiping anything?
I've been using my EVO rooted since September at least and I have never wiped data. I manually flashed Fresh and have been on it ever since, but nothing in the root process requires flashing a custom ROM, and in fact the ability to flash a ROM means you're already rooted, in general.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Solly posted:

When I viewed the latest update for MIUI on EVOs it said you need to use Calkulin's complete wipe ZIP, maybe that is the cause? I haven't updated primarily due to that.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Is it possible to install the sypwe beta on miui or will it only work on stock roms? This default android keyboard sucks.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Solly posted:

Is it possible to install the sypwe beta on miui or will it only work on stock roms? This default android keyboard sucks.

Yeah, you can install Swype on any ROM. It's just a keyboard. Heck, it's even included in one of the MT4G MIUI ports.

I tried out MIUI for a few minutes. It looked pretty polished. There was a few glaring issues though with the port. The display stopped working after a while except in camera. As soon as I would exit the camera app, the display would go off but the phone worked normally. Also, the power control in the notification bar wasn't fully translated from Chinese to English.

I'd like to try out MIUI more when I see a port that isn't bugged. MIUI feels like a ROM I'd use on the weekends with CM on the weekdays. Too bad it's a lot of hassle to do this.

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

brc64 posted:

It didn't wipe anything at all. I just followed those steps and then used root manager (paid app, worth the $2 or whatever) and removed all the crapware. There should be a custom recovery out very soon and hopefully some good ROMs, but those are optional. Gonna root my wife's shift now, I finally convinced her to get an android phone too!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok, so I got my Nook Color, and have it rooted. Everything went well, and it works fine. So, other than putting on Launcher Pro Plus, Android Comic Viewer, and the Kindle app, what are some other cool things I can do with my newly rooted device? I've had a Droid 1 for a phone for several months, so I know the basics, but this is the first time I've had something that's rooted, and I'm assuming the Nook Color acts differently than the phones in a lot of ways (3G, the actual phone part, etc.).

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, so I got my Nook Color, and have it rooted. Everything went well, and it works fine. So, other than putting on Launcher Pro Plus, Android Comic Viewer, and the Kindle app, what are some other cool things I can do with my newly rooted device? I've had a Droid 1 for a phone for several months, so I know the basics, but this is the first time I've had something that's rooted, and I'm assuming the Nook Color acts differently than the phones in a lot of ways (3G, the actual phone part, etc.).

Most games work pretty well on the Nook Color. I haven't found any so far except MiniSquadron that are even problematic at all. Fruit Ninja on a big screen is fun as hell.

For the most part, I rooted mine specifically for Comics, Games and Books. I tried facebook widgets and whatnot but it's like I have decided at least for now that the NC is my toy and my phone is for serious/social nonsense like email and twitter.

Plus the thing doesn't really work well with email sync as it doesn't have a persistent data connection and it's basically going to gently caress up a lot unless you do a manual only sync for most things. I suspect this is mostly true with all wi-fi only devices which is cool with me. Some games have issues too (you have to hit the back button to get OpenFeint games to start for the first time sometimes) but it's pretty rare. It'll be even better once there's a good 2.2 ROM out there.

Also: you guys need to be aware that the latest "OTA" update for the NC will break your root and all that so it's not a lovely idea to manually update it before you get the OTA notifitcation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I tried playing RoboDefense and it didn't work at all. Also, is there any way to install custom apks? I want to get the custom version of Launcher Pro Plus with the transparent widgets on here, but it won't let me run it, and using SQLite Editor like some other sites have said also doesn't work (it just crashes).

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Anybody know how far out the STABLE CM7 for the Incredible?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Just installed MIUI after Casao's reccomendation, and everything seems fine so far, except one thing. I'm using Launcher Pro with the 3d app draw and scrolling in the drawer is really jittery, especially when scrolling slowly. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Edit: Also, doesn't MIUI have any settings on customizing the lock screen?
Edit again: Low on storage space?! I'm supposed to have apps2sd and according to the system information thing I'm using 150mb on the ext partition, how can this be

Flyndre fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 29, 2011

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Flyndre posted:

Just installed MIUI after Casao's reccomendation, and everything seems fine so far, except one thing. I'm using Launcher Pro with the 3d app draw and scrolling in the drawer is really jittery, especially when scrolling slowly. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Edit: Also, doesn't MIUI have any settings on customizing the lock screen?
Edit again: Low on storage space?! I'm supposed to have apps2sd and according to the system information thing I'm using 150mb on the ext partition, how can this be

Yea im low on storage with miui as well, its still better than with no a2sd but its not as good as a2sd should work. I think they are working on using data to whatever, whatever that is, hopefully it will get better with new releases. I'm also noticing a terrible battery consumption on standby but I haven't calibrated the battery yet and the rom could still be adjusting itself I suppose. It's hard to tell if I like this rom or not, its full of some really useful features you cant find anywhere else (like the battery bar at the top) but it's also lacking some very basic features, like an optional app draw. I mean half my apps are widgets and I dont need an icon for that on my homescreen, so I have a redundant folder full of unused icons. However it does look absolutely beautiful and as more and more themes are released its just going to keep getting better. I dont really see why you would use launcher pro on miui though it kind of defeys the whole point of it really.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Aatrek posted:

I'm guessing only a few weeks away. They've been running nighties for about twenty days. I think it took a little over a month to get to 6.0 from the previous, and another month from the 6.1 RCs to stable.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Yeah, every cm7 nightly has been stable enough for daily use, with the exception of the one from two nights ago where the phone app would force close.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Aatrek posted:

Use the nightly, it's really solid :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Flyndre posted:

This is a common problem with a lot of ROM's and LP's 3D app drawer. No real fix last I checked.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dayne posted:

Personally, I would stay away from anything DK28. The couple times I've used it, I got frustrated with the UI lagginess and the random FCs.

If you really have your heart set on Froyo, I'd try Nebula Rom. I installed it the last time I played around with DK28 and it was somewhat more responsive than the stock 2.2 but much more laggy than stock 2.1. It looks like it uses a custom theme but it's pretty nice. I've also heard good things about Bonsai and Frankenstein but haven't used them personally. I think Bonsai and Frankenstein require you to convert the internal storage filesystem to EXT4 so they're a little more complicated to setup. Nebula can run either. I used it with the default RFS.

You can find threads for each of those roms on in the Epic Development forum on XDA.

Eh, if it's laggy I'll hold off. There's not a TON of lag on DI18, but I'll be damned if it isn't irritating do have to hit the end call button like 4 times over 3-4 seconds to make sure the drat call ended.

There's also the issue of input lag on large webpages (namely getting a bit sluggish when posting here from my phone.)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Anyone know what's up with the Captivate package designgears rom? I don't see anything but a white page when i go to download the current beta or the webpage - 0 byte HTTP 200 response though so its obv just a holder file, rest of the site works fine.

I am trying to figure out the process here but it appears this step is down for the moment?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SDK-based honeycomb is booting in the nook color: http://liliputing.com/2011/01/android-3-0-honeycomb-on-the-nookcolor-now-with-video.html

This is very good news, since it means we'll almost certainly see an AOSP-based honeycomb OS once the code is released. Nook color is best $250 tablet.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

SDK-based honeycomb is booting in the nook color: http://liliputing.com/2011/01/android-3-0-honeycomb-on-the-nookcolor-now-with-video.html

This is very good news, since it means we'll almost certainly see an AOSP-based honeycomb OS once the code is released. Nook color is best $250 tablet.

Yeah depending on how much other actual Honeycomb tablets cost and when they come out I'd seriously consider getting a Nook Color just for that.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

If the nook color screen were bigger it would be the best thing ever.

As-is, I'm getting tired enough of the small screen that even with Honeycomb I feel like I need bigger.

Still awesome as gently caress for $250 though hands down.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I installed a custom kernel that I'm not too thrilled with. I made a nandroid backup before, can I just do a full restore and clear the caches or do I need to Odin/Heimdall a stock rom and flash from there?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Asked this a few pages back, but got no response:

Does anyone have a working link to Odin One Click (Captivate) for Mac?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Casao posted:

Oh man, I'm excited for this.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Ok I think miui is going to have to go, last night with the phone on standby it managed to use 75% battery somehow. I mean there's poor battery consumption but that's just daft. Can anyone recommend another rom for desire? Something with a better battery life and more stability would be nice.

If I just want to put stock back on is it as simple as wiping the cache, dalvik and data then just running the backup I made of stock?

Solly fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 31, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've got a couple questions:

Is installing a custom boot animation the same process for all phones? Put the animation zip file in the tools folder in adb then run:

code:
adb shell
#mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
#exit

adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media/
adb reboot
Is it the same for all devices?

Also, I tried running z4root on a friends Droid 1. I selected Permanent Root, and it takes a really long time - but it doesn't root it. He uses a task killer after repeatedly explaining why he doesn't need it. He also uses a live wallpaper. I know, but any suggestions on how to get z4root to work or to root his Droid 1?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I flipped S-off on my Evo and flashed the pre-rooted stock roms and new radio updates. Now my 3G speed is WAY faster at home and at work. In South Phoenix I would be lucky to hit 100k during the day time, and Chandler would strain to be in the 200kbps range. I saw Mbps speeds for the first time since I got the thing last night in Chandler, and despite Phoenix's congestion, am pulling down ~200kbps there now. Would new PRLs, radios, and other updates really have this much an effect, or am I just brimming with confirmation bias?

Also, how do I actually toggle between Sype and the standard sense keyboard?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Turnquiet posted:

I flipped S-off on my Evo and flashed the pre-rooted stock roms and new radio updates. Now my 3G speed is WAY faster at home and at work. In South Phoenix I would be lucky to hit 100k during the day time, and Chandler would strain to be in the 200kbps range. I saw Mbps speeds for the first time since I got the thing last night in Chandler, and despite Phoenix's congestion, am pulling down ~200kbps there now. Would new PRLs, radios, and other updates really have this much an effect, or am I just brimming with confirmation bias?

Also, how do I actually toggle between Sype and the standard sense keyboard?

Wow. Glad I have TMobile. I was pulling down 6 megs last night in Chandler with an N1.

Keyboard toggle, long press a text box and select Input.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I know, Tmobile looks enticing. It will take a minor miracle to get me to renew a contract with Sprint since the second they dropped their Nextel spectrum 3G speeds on our shiney, new Evos went from like 2mbps to its current crap level. :smith:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I just installed Rubix Focused 1.9.7. First thing I did was downloaded Titanium backup Pro (already purchased). It installed it but it's not showing up in the app drawer. Where is it?

Edit: Duh, sorry, Pro is just the key. I downloaded the regular Titanium backup and now I see it. Sorry.

Edit2: Ok now my problem is trying to get Swype working. It's installed but I can't get it as an input method. It installed the GB keyboard and I can seem to get it back to Swype...

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Solly posted:

Ok I think miui is going to have to go, last night with the phone on standby it managed to use 75% battery somehow. I mean there's poor battery consumption but that's just daft. Can anyone recommend another rom for desire? Something with a better battery life and more stability would be nice.

If I just want to put stock back on is it as simple as wiping the cache, dalvik and data then just running the backup I made of stock?

I absolutely love Cyanogenmod 7 nightlies on my GSM HTC Desire. It's perfectly stable, quite speedy compared to stock and so on.

Only thing I think you'll miss is HTC Sense if you care about that.

If you have a GSM Desire: http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/bravo/cm_bravo_full-21.zip is the latest
If you have a CDMA Desire: http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/bravoc/cm_bravoc_full-20.zip is the latest

I think you'll also need a pack of Gingerbread Google Apps, this one works for me on my Desire: http://phones.crackflashers.com/bravo/google-apps/gingerbread-gapps-12302010.zip

You'll want to install that from recovery after you install the ROM itself, and you'll need to first make sure you go to the partitions menu in recovery and mount /system and /data before you install it from zip.