Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

kapalama posted:

FIlling my life with old media, and just finished Star Trek The Next Generation.

What's next?

The movies? Deep Space Nine? Voyager?

Have you not watched any of the movies? If so, in your shoes, I would probably do it chronologically-- DS9 began in '93, Generations came out in '94, First Contact in '96, Insurrection in '98 and Nemesis in '02 (after DS9 ended).

Voyager, to me, is sort of tricky, because it's nothing like DS9, and DS9 is by far my favorite series from the whole franchise. I have heard that it is purposely not like DS9, but to me, that makes it all the worse, following DS9 as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Have you not watched any of the movies? If so, in your shoes, I would probably do it chronologically-- DS9 began in '93, Generations came out in '94, First Contact in '96, Insurrection in '98 and Nemesis in '02 (after DS9 ended).

Voyager, to me, is sort of tricky, because it's nothing like DS9, and DS9 is by far my favorite series from the whole franchise. I have heard that it is purposely not like DS9, but to me, that makes it all the worse, following DS9 as it did.

No I have not seen any of the movies, other than the reboot. (Even the old cast Star Trek ones.) I had never even seen the show before watching this time.

Should I watch all of DS9 before watching the movies?

Is the Enterprise series worth it?

revolther
May 27, 2008
I'm no super trekie, but DS9 is a really good series. The first few seasons they seemed to be stuck doing TNG style random occurrence and space phenomena type stories to build some love for the characters, but once they get into the ongoing story arcs that continue between episodes it gets pretty loving awesome.

The Sisko is one bad motha.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I've never heard anything good about Enterprise, and Voyager seemed deeply flawed from the few episodes I saw of it. The TNG movies go like this:

Generations: kinda crap
First Contact: excellent
Insurrection: Nothing special for a movie, but would have been a great two-part episode.
Nemesis: absolute crap

They all stand on their own, so you don't need to watch them in any order. The only important bits of continuity are in Generations: Data starts using his emotion chip and the Enterprise-D crash lands at the end. Subsequent movies use the Enterprise-E. After watching, you should definitely check out the Redlettermedia.com reviews of each of them. (if you're unfamiliar with RLM, there's a GBS thread about it right now)

Deep Space Nine, however, is excellent in just about every way. I only just went through it all last year. It marks a progression and a maturing for the Star Trek Universe after TNG. Issues like sex, religion, politics, war, social issues, character identities and such are dealt with much more thoroughly than in TNG, with plots that aren't as simplistic and stretch out over seasons rather than everything always being neatly wrapped up at the end of every episode (so it is definitely important to watch in order). It's not completely different though, as I'd say at least 50% of each season are independent episodes. Also, only a couple of characters are actually in Starfleet, so a lot of time is spent on other aspects of the ST universe.

I would just first say that you are going to be meeting a completely new crew, so give it a few episodes to get to know them first and get used to the slightly different tone and new characters. Quark and his family actually make Ferengis interesting (unlike all their TNG appearances), Odo takes the Data/Spock role, but frankly is way more interesting than either of them, and Sisko is without a doubt the best commanding officer from any of the series. There are also something like two dozen important recurring characters in addition to the main ones through the 7 seasons (22 of whom are played by Jeffrey Combs).

Last I checked, there was a Youtube channel with every episode up, so that should help you. And writing this has made me want to go back and watch it again from the start.

e: oh, and the TNG movies have no bearing on DS9 at all.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 30, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

Nice info for Star trek

Thank you for putting the time into this. I did watch the first tiny bit of Deep SPace Nine but I wasn't sure.

But you have convinced me to plunge into Deep Space Nine, and enjoy.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

THere was a plastic rubber repair goop that was linked here in this thread. It is a UK company, and they had all kinds of 'people tried this' on their site.

Anyone remember the name of the product? Google is failing me because I cannot remember enough about it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Elijya posted:

Deep Space Nine, however, is excellent in just about every way. I only just went through it all last year. It marks a progression and a maturing for the Star Trek Universe after TNG. Issues like sex, religion, politics, war, social issues, character identities and such are dealt with much more thoroughly than in TNG, with plots that aren't as simplistic and stretch out over seasons rather than everything always being neatly wrapped up at the end of every episode (so it is definitely important to watch in order). It's not completely different though, as I'd say at least 50% of each season are independent episodes. Also, only a couple of characters are actually in Starfleet, so a lot of time is spent on other aspects of the ST universe.

I would just first say that you are going to be meeting a completely new crew, so give it a few episodes to get to know them first and get used to the slightly different tone and new characters. Quark and his family actually make Ferengis interesting (unlike all their TNG appearances), Odo takes the Data/Spock role, but frankly is way more interesting than either of them, and Sisko is without a doubt the best commanding officer from any of the series. There are also something like two dozen important recurring characters in addition to the main ones through the 7 seasons (22 of whom are played by Jeffrey Combs).

Yep, you basically highlighted the reasons why I loved DS9 so much and was so disappointed to watch Voyager (we just did a re-watch over the past year or so of TNG, DS9 and Voyager). Also, while I knew that Jeffrey Combs played Weyoun and Brunt, I had no idea that he'd played so many characters. Crazy!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

Yep, you basically highlighted the reasons why I loved DS9 so much and was so disappointed to watch Voyager (we just did a re-watch over the past year or so of TNG, DS9 and Voyager). Also, while I knew that Jeffrey Combs played Weyoun and Brunt, I had no idea that he'd played so many characters. Crazy!

Well, 22 was an exaggeration. He played 9 characters total (depending how you count clones, mirror universe counterparts, holograms, wormhole aliens, and whatever was going on in that episode where Sisko was a sci-fi writer). Brunt and Weyoun were reoccurring DS9 characters, and he played a reoccurring Andorian on Enterprise. Everything else were one-off characters, on DS9, VOY and ENT.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I do remember seeing him on Voyager pretty recently.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

kapalama posted:

THere was a plastic rubber repair goop that was linked here in this thread. It is a UK company, and they had all kinds of 'people tried this' on their site.

Anyone remember the name of the product? Google is failing me because I cannot remember enough about it.

http://sugru.com/ ? It took me forever to find this too. Luckily I was able to go through one of the 5 sites I remember seeing it on.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Does anyone know if it would be a problem traveling through the Doha airport but actually going to Qatar with Israeli stamps in a passport?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

aricoarena posted:

Does anyone know if it would be a problem traveling through the Doha airport but actually going to Qatar with Israeli stamps in a passport?

I'm confused, isn't Doha airport IN Qatar? Your question sounds like it's just where you're catching a connecting flight. The "but actually" adds confusion to your phrasing, I think. Typically you're only required to show a passport when entering a country, but on connecting flights you don't have to leave the airport and can just hang out in an area without going through immigration. Like Tom Hanks in that movie.

Anyway, I don't know, and I'd be surprised if anyone watching this thread is familiar with the airport, but here were some google results from people having asked the same question in the past.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1722242

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294009-i3512-k3890150-Israeli_stamp_in_passport-Doha.html

Answer is inconclusive. It seems it may be policy to have you turn around, but it also seems they don't check your passport that thoroughly. Several people mentioned getting new passports.

A general question of my own on this matter: Would there be a problem with just tearing out a page from your passport in a situation like this? That may be a solution for you, unless anyone can name a reason not to. (I know it might be illegal to alter a passport, but is anyone every really going to check the page count?)

e:V If it's just a connecting flight and you're not actually entering the country, than theoretically you shouldn't have to show your passport anywhere in there. The only way you'll know for sure though is to try and find someone who has also had a connecting flight through there. I would recommend seeing if you can email the US Embassy in Qatar, as they would be very familiar with the airport and know things like this. Or don't take the lazy email route and see if you can actually call them. It might be a slight hassle, but it's the only way I can think of to make sure, and the hassle will be a lot worse if anything does go wrong.

The page ripping is just an idea, and obviously if you, or anyone were to do it, it should be done so there's no evidence that a page has been torn, which would ideally mean removing that piece of paper entirely. And that would be problematic if the stamp is on a page that has vital information in the front of the passport.

e: yes, I now realize this is stupid and don't suggest it to anyone.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 22, 2011

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Yes, it would just be a connecting flight thing. I saw those 2 links and did some googling, but as you said the answers contradict each other. Some say you can go to Qatar no problem, some say you can even get on the plane. Unfortunately getting a new passport is not an option right now.

I didn't think I should start a whole new thread in travel for this one question.

Ripping a page out of the passport will make everyone suspicious, I think they can refuse you just on that and the places that don't recognize Israel will know what you did.

Elijya posted:

I'm confused, isn't Doha airport IN Qatar? Your question sounds like it's jsut where you're catching a connecting flight.

Anyway, I don't know, and I'd be surprised if anyone watching this thread is familiar with the airport, but here were some google results from people having asked the same question in the past.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1722242

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294009-i3512-k3890150-Israeli_stamp_in_passport-Doha.html

Answer is inconclusive. It seems it may be policy to have you turn around, but it also seems they don't check your passport that thoroughly. Several people mentioned getting new passports.

A general question of my own on this matter: Would there be a problem with just tearing out a page from your passport in a situation like this? That may be a solution for you, unless anyone can name a reason not to. (I know it might be illegal to alter a passport, but is anyone every really going to check the page count?)

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Elijya posted:

Dear lord and heaven don't do this. Removing a page will render your passport void. Yes, they will notice, the pages are all numbered.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Yeah, especially in some of the Arab states where it is illegal to enter if you've been to Israel the immigration officers are obliged to literally check every page in the passport.

You can ask the Israelis to stamp a separate piece of paper instead of your passport if you explain your situation. They're quite used to this.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Any ideas on good things to do for valentines day? I'm not sure if this is worthy of its own thread or not, but I was surprised there wasn't one in A/T

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.

Mario posted:

The FireGestures extension has (by default) the "right, up" gesture mapped to "open all links in selection".

Hm, this is definitely isn't what I had. It didn't involve highlighting links at all.

Another question, Firefox is doing this:

and I've forgotten how to rectify this. Help?

Astro Cake fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 30, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Econosaurus posted:

Any ideas on good things to do for valentines day? I'm not sure if this is worthy of its own thread or not, but I was surprised there wasn't one in A/T

I did those m&ms with the custom text on them. Kinda pricey...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

TLG James posted:

http://sugru.com/ ? It took me forever to find this too. Luckily I was able to go through one of the 5 sites I remember seeing it on.

Yes, that's it! Thank you, thank you. If they would only put the words 'Plastic Repair' on their website as well as the catch phrase 'Hack' it would make it so much easier to find.

Lesson #2497 of why some people who concentrate on clever marketing ('Hack something!') instead of sales ('This will fix and repair stuff') don't do as well in business as they should.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Astro Cake posted:

Hold Shift and click Refresh

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Astro Cake posted:

Hm, this is definitely isn't what I had. It didn't involve highlighting links at all.

and I've forgotten how to rectify this. Help?

CTRL+F5

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

Hold Shift and click Refresh

Also, if you're using adblock it might be blocking the SA stylesheet.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I know TV is TV, but I am wondering about some of the apparent iPhone apps(or Android or whatever). How do law enforcement specific Apps get onto iPhones?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kapalama posted:

I know TV is TV, but I am wondering about some of the apparent iPhone apps(or Android or whatever). How do law enforcement specific Apps get onto iPhones?

A large enough organization can get Apple to create what's essentially a private app store, so they can produce and distribute in-house apps for their employees only. No idea if any law enforcement departments have actually taken them up on this, but it's not farfetched.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

haveblue posted:

A large enough organization can get Apple to create what's essentially a private app store, so they can produce and distribute in-house apps for their employees only. No idea if any law enforcement departments have actually taken them up on this, but it's not farfetched.

I know for a fact that certain alphabet agencies within the federal government have developed or contractually developed their own smartphone apps, but I doubt underbudgeted law enforcement agencies have done the same.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just tried messaging my friend on facebook and received the following:

"[friend] is using an application to access chat. To send him a message, you must change your settings to enable friends using applications to see you when you're online. To change your settings, follow this link: http://www.facebook.com/chat/set_application_settings.php?to_send=[random characters]"

That seems kinda hinky to me, and so I wonder if anyone else has encountered this, and what it's all about?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

hooah posted:

I just tried messaging my friend on facebook and received the following:

"[friend] is using an application to access chat. To send him a message, you must change your settings to enable friends using applications to see you when you're online. To change your settings, follow this link: http://www.facebook.com/chat/set_application_settings.php?to_send=[random characters]"

That seems kinda hinky to me, and so I wonder if anyone else has encountered this, and what it's all about?

I've encountered it as well, when talking to friends who are using a different client to utilize Facebook chat (Digsby, Meebo, etc). As for whether or not it opens you up to malicious applications or something, I have no idea. Knowing Facebook's record... probably.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Melicious posted:

I've encountered it as well, when talking to friends who are using a different client to utilize Facebook chat (Digsby, Meebo, etc). As for whether or not it opens you up to malicious applications or something, I have no idea. Knowing Facebook's record... probably.

Well, it seems to have resolved itself without any changes from him. The only thing I can think is that I thought to try sending him a message through the non-chat messaging (a la email) feature on facebook. Perhaps that was what fixed it, but the world will probably never know.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

EricBauman posted:

Yeah, especially in some of the Arab states where it is illegal to enter if you've been to Israel the immigration officers are obliged to literally check every page in the passport.

I was in Syria this autumn, going from Copenhagen over Vienna to Damascus. In Vienna every single passport was checked (thumbed through, essentially) for Israeli stamps. I don't know if you can get around that if you are just passing though, but it's worth checking I'd say.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I have a few boxes full of magazines from around the early 2000's sitting in my closet. Most of them are Rolling Stone, along with some car magazines. I haven't gone through them in years, so I don't exactly know what's there.

Is there even a market for magazines of this vintage? Like, Rolling Stone's with interviews with Limp Bizkit and poo poo.

I'm planning on going looking through all of these soon, and I really don't want to hang on to them anymore.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

The A-Team Van posted:

I have a few boxes full of magazines from around the early 2000's sitting in my closet. Most of them are Rolling Stone, along with some car magazines. I haven't gone through them in years, so I don't exactly know what's there.

Is there even a market for magazines of this vintage? Like, Rolling Stone's with interviews with Limp Bizkit and poo poo.

I'm planning on going looking through all of these soon, and I really don't want to hang on to them anymore.

You MIGHT find someone interested on eBay, but don't expect to get more than a few dollars (or less) per issue. Check past sales. I put up a whole bunch of old video game magazines and was still getting a few dollars per issue in bulk, but I'd imagine there's probably a better market for them than Rolling Stone (and certainly more than miscellaneous car mags)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

The A-Team Van posted:

I don't know if you can get any money for it, but a public library may be interested in them.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just got a nice waxed cotton jacket. Can I wear it whilst driving my car, or will it get wax on the seat? I'm guessing that I certainly shouldn't use the seat heaters, at least, right?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Anjow posted:

I just got a nice waxed cotton jacket. Can I wear it whilst driving my car, or will it get wax on the seat? I'm guessing that I certainly shouldn't use the seat heaters, at least, right?

I never worried about or had any problems. I don't think the heated should cause a problem either. Unless it was freshly waxed (which you should do about once a year) the cotton holds the wax well.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Has anyone ever found an online guide to learning how to hands free Taxi whistle that works?

I have watched/read a bunch of them over the years, and never gotten anywhere.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Binowru posted:

I don't know if you can get any money for it, but a public library may be interested in them.

Its worth a call, but I doubt a library would take them. It isn't worth the time to catalog those magazines which will fall apart after being circulated a couple of times.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nesbit37 posted:

Its worth a call, but I doubt a library would take them. It isn't worth the time to catalog those magazines which will fall apart after being circulated a couple of times.

It depends. Some libraries are happy to take all the books and magazines they can get, no matter how old. Of course if they're water damaged or had food spilled on them they won't be taken but it doesn't hurt to offer.

Additionally some English as a Second Language courses and programs will take old magazines and other printed material.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Pretty sure this has been asked before, but this thread is hard to sort through...

What's the most effective way of saving videos from youtube? I know there's tons of resources out there, but 90% of them look shady to me.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Cross Browser, cross platform:
http://keepvid.com/
and use the bookmarklet
works with any browser, any platform

JDownloader is also pretty effective but it requires a separate program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Who is this comedian? I've seen him on Comedy Central pretty recently.

The joke was that when you break up, you look at old happy pictures of your girlfriend which make you sad. Instead, you should take pictures of her when she's being insane and angry.