Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Wait, all that's from GorillaNet? Or the rural one? You seem to be mixing up your quotes.

(As well as your point. We aren't talking about 200GB caps, here. Chop off that last zero, THAT'S what we're talking about.)

Edit: And the fact that that rural provider admits to overselling does not absolve them of overselling. If you get bumped from a flight because Air Canada oversold it thinking "all the passengers won't show up", you aren't going to be mollified when they admit to it. You're going to be PISSED. And rightly so.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Are we still doing these? I'm paying $60/mo for this, plus an $8 MSN Premium fee that they won't take off no matter what I do (never activated it, btw). The only reason I'm not switching to another provider - I think the only other here is Cogeco - is that we have a grandfathered plan which is totally unlimited. Hopefully. :ohdear:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Rand McNally posted:

Are we still doing these? I'm paying $60/mo for this, plus an $8 MSN Premium fee that they won't take off no matter what I do (never activated it, btw). The only reason I'm not switching to another provider - I think the only other here is Cogeco - is that we have a grandfathered plan which is totally unlimited. Hopefully. :ohdear:

Sounds like the exact same plan we've got - my wife got her Sympatico plan upgraded to an unlimited plan some 7 years ago and it's never changed (even after moving to a new apartment). To be honest if they took us off the plan we would just move over to Rogers since we've got cable and phone through them already...

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Rand McNally posted:

Are we still doing these? I'm paying $60/mo for this, plus an $8 MSN Premium fee that they won't take off no matter what I do (never activated it, btw).

Had the same sort of fee with bell aliant and an additional $10/month no phone line service fee. Argued and threaten to cancel and got it all waived, they still messed up the billing for two months but thankfully they fixed it all up and credited the previous billing error.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
New facebook page for this rally, just a placeholder for now.

Also, this amazingly awesome gigantic argument against UBB.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1621527~7113613720f25003c7128aa38c32efe5/CRTC-2010-802-Vaxination-Petition.pdf

One guy wrote that? Seems at least equivalent to what a parliamentary committee would come up with. I'd like to think that some MPs will read that and do the right thing, but unfortunately politicians don't give off that vibe anymore.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 31, 2011

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Dudebro posted:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1621527~7113613720f25003c7128aa38c32efe5/CRTC-2010-802-Vaxination-Petition.pdf

One guy wrote that? Seems at least equivalent to what a parliamentary committee would come up with. I'd like to think that some MPs will read that and do the right thing, but unfortunately politicians don't give off that vibe anymore.
MPs would be briefed on it by staff, presumably. Though what would REALLY happen is that either the Minister (that'd be Tony) would be briefed by Industry Minister officials, or the Prime Minister's Office would be briefed on it by someone at the cabinet minister's office.

What I'm reading of it is pretty devastating, though. Not only laying out the difference between what the ISPs get from Bell (last mile access, basically) and what end-users get from an ISP (everything else), but in pointing out that there's no difference in charge between 80GB and 300GB, which is just insane.

(As well as pointing out the Quebec/Ontario pricing difference, which could be enough to get the PMO to poo poo on this thing all on its own.)

The competition section is beautiful, too. Pointing out that the very justification given by the CRTC for allowing the indie ISPs to exist in the first place (preventing a monopoly) shows that a ITMP price-setting duopoly is anti-competitive is just brilliant, since it demostrates that the CRTC was not following the implications of its own rulings and, thus, is being anti-competitive. The "competition" question is key here; banging on THAT is just about the only way that you can possibly get the PMO to agree with you on this, since they don't want to be called "anti-competitive" and thus "anti-market". It'd alienate soft-right voters and the more lolbertarian elements of their base, and they really, really don't want that.

Edit: And holy poo poo, the measurement thing. Error rates of up to 20%? THAT'S something that could (and should) be exploited in PR on this issue. That they gently caress over Quebeckers is one thing; that they may gently caress over EVERYBODY by under- or over-counting traffic is something else entirely.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 31, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nomenklatura posted:

MPs would be briefed on it by staff, presumably. Though what would REALLY happen is that either the Minister (that'd be Tony) would be briefed by Industry Minister officials, or the Prime Minister's Office would be briefed on it by someone at the cabinet minister's office.

What I'm reading of it is pretty devastating, though. Not only laying out the difference between what the ISPs get from Bell (last mile access, basically) and what end-users get from an ISP (everything else), but in pointing out that there's no difference in charge between 80GB and 300GB, which is just insane.

(As well as pointing out the Quebec/Ontario pricing difference, which could be enough to get the PMO to poo poo on this thing all on its own.)

The competition section is beautiful, too. Pointing out that the very justification given by the CRTC for allowing the indie ISPs to exist in the first place (preventing a monopoly) shows that a ITMP price-setting duopoly is anti-competitive is just brilliant, since it demostrates that the CRTC was not following the implications of its own rulings and, thus, is being anti-competitive. The "competition" question is key here; banging on THAT is just about the only way that you can possibly get the PMO to agree with you on this, since they don't want to be called "anti-competitive" and thus "anti-market". It'd alienate soft-right voters and the more lolbertarian elements of their base, and they really, really don't want that.

Edit: And holy poo poo, the measurement thing. Error rates of up to 20%? THAT'S something that could (and should) be exploited in PR on this issue. That they gently caress over Quebeckers is one thing; that they may gently caress over EVERYBODY by under- or over-counting traffic is something else entirely.

Yeah, I read the whole document. It suggests that "You don't want to have the PR disaster if people start flipping out QC pays 2.5x for usage than everybody else" but I think anything to enrage people about this practise would be beneficial.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, the tricky part is enraging Canadians about anything. It DOES happen, as we saw with prorogation and (arguably) adscam, but its kind of unpredictable. The only fairly reliable things are regional conflicts and that general Canadian sense of fairness, which is why the whole "charge two bucks for a cent of bandwidth" and "QC gets hosed over" bits are key.

(The 20% bit might fit there, too. Canadians aren't going to like the idea of Bell charging for illusory transfers.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dudebro posted:

I opened that up to give it a quick skim through and ended up reading through. It's unbelievable how much power bell has with the CRTC to push through the regulations they did. Unfortunately that makes me wonder how much thought they will give to that petition.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Rogers is probably gleefully rubbing their hands because Netflix might pull out of Canada.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I trust Bell's ability to accurately monitor your bandwidth usage as much as I trust their tech support to not leave you on hold for 90% of your call to Bell. When I hooked up my modem 1.5 years ago, the first thing I did was check my email, then I left for a week. My modem was not connected to a PC and it was Password protected and in a basement. You couldn't get a signal more than a foot outside the house. When I got back I checked my usage and it was nearly a GB's worth. I called Bell and the tech support guy freely admitted that there is a margin of error.

If you wanted to make some money, I bet starting up a 3rd part BW monitoring service could get you some clients. I don't know if you could do it online only or if you'd need some sort of hardware, but I think it might work for people who believe they are being overcharged and fined while still under their monthly limits.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Someone here said that Teksavvy will only let you have business account if you have a Bell business line. But what about Dry DSL?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Welp. Just got an email from TekSavvy; starting in March my internet access goes from unmetered to 25GB/mo (with additional bandwidth available at $5/mo per 40GB). And I'm out in the K-W area, so I'm outside TekSavvy cable coverage.

At least dryloop is much cheaper now than it was when I signed up; I could ditch my analog phone service (which I never use), switch to dryloop, drop $5/mo to upgrade to 65GB service and still come out ahead. 65GB is a bit cramped but I can manage with that.

gently caress the CRTC and gently caress Bell, twice, with a rusty 40-port switch.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Welp. Just got an email from TekSavvy; starting in March my internet access goes from unmetered to 25GB/mo (with additional bandwidth available at $5/mo per 40GB). And I'm out in the K-W area, so I'm outside TekSavvy cable coverage.

Sucks man. Made a change to my plan last summer before the CRTC filings were pretty much public knowledge so i'm unable to be grandfathered in either. Have no idea how I'm going to fit inside the 25GB/month cap, probably just have to purchase an unmetered business plan.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I feel absolutely retarded for asking this, but does this affect cable internet in any way at all? My ISP is going to be offering 50/100mbps cable service soon with 250/500GB caps and I'm pretty much frothing at the mouth waiting for them to announce pricing so I can switch over from my 6mbps DSL.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 31, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
This will affect cable in the summer (June 1st?) once Rogers get its helpings of UBB and assuming nothing happens to UBB between now and then.

Here's the facebook link I forgot to post earlier. Monday, February 21st.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=183264541713465

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Unsurprisingly I get a busy signal trying to call TekSavvy to switch to cable. Even when Rogers goes UBB, at least it'll be faster/better service than the DSL. Hopefully the pricing will be somewhat sane.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I can't wait for TekSavvy cable to service to get out here.

Viktor posted:

Sucks man. Made a change to my plan last summer before the CRTC filings were pretty much public knowledge so i'm unable to be grandfathered in either. Have no idea how I'm going to fit inside the 25GB/month cap, probably just have to purchase an unmetered business plan.

Well, the good news is that dryloop is a lot cheaper now than it was when I signed up, and I'm in band B, so:

- switch from analog phone service to dryloop: -$10/mo
- pay to upgrade from 25GB to 65GB service: +$5/mo

Net result, I come out $5/mo ahead and with a cramped but usable 65GB internet service. TekSavvy is talking about rolling out dirt-cheap voip soon, too, so this might be a usable alternative for others.

Still loving sucks, but not quite as much as 25GB/mo with no recourse would.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bonzo posted:

Someone here said that Teksavvy will only let you have business account if you have a Bell business line. But what about Dry DSL?

That was me. Teksavvy told me that Dry "Business" DSL is also an option. Have no idea how you'd sign up for that though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

43 minute hold queue after finally getting through to TekSavvy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
^^^^ In their defense, that's not usually how long it takes. I assume everyone is calling today since the email went out of Saturday.

8ender posted:

That was me. Teksavvy told me that Dry "Business" DSL is also an option. Have no idea how you'd sign up for that though.

I've had the residential Dry DSL for about two years. I would assume you just use the their form to change services or call them up and pay the switching fee.

If it's that easy I'll just do this.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bonzo posted:

^^^^ In their defense, that's not usually how long it takes. I assume everyone is calling today since the email went out of Saturday.
Oh I'm not complaining. Just warning others. Apparently there's also a cable outage in Toronto they mention when you first connect.

Usually I never have to wait, and the person that answers solves the issue.

edit:

Anyway it's done, and I may have cable in as little as a week. I'm excited to go from 5M service to 8M, hah.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 31, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nomenklatura posted:

This part right here makes me glad a Montrealer wrote it:

quote:

106. Considering that UBB rates are not cost based , are purely arbitrary in nature and designed to affect behaviour, how can a regulator use logic to justify imposing different rates for Québec and Ontario, especially when Quebeckers would be asked to be 2.5 times more for per gig charges on a 25mbps services ? Such federally regulated rates could become a rather hot potato if the media starts to portray this as the federal government forcing francophones to pay 2.5 times more than anglophones.

No way in hell will anyone from Quebec support this.

SolidElectronics
Jul 9, 2005
I'm on Teksavvy 5M DSL with MLPPP and a 200GB limit. Rather than start paying Bell more for less I think this might be a good opportunity to switch to Teksavvy 15/1 cable and kick Bell out of my house.
Am I in for any nasty surprises if I switch? If they're still doing stupid poo poo like throttling torrents and encrypted traffic I'll just stick with DSL.

Sorry if this was already asked and I missed it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has Telus announced any of their overage costs and if they're lowering their caps?

I was planning on switching to Optik before all this happened (from Shaw) but I dunno if my online application got lost in the mad stampede.

If the caps/overages are on the same level of shittiness as shaw's I might as well switch because Telus will be cheaper per month.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

priznat posted:

Has Telus announced any of their overage costs and if they're lowering their caps?

I was planning on switching to Optik before all this happened (from Shaw) but I dunno if my online application got lost in the mad stampede.

If the caps/overages are on the same level of shittiness as shaw's I might as well switch because Telus will be cheaper per month.

http://bettween.com/telussupport/stefanz

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 31, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I was aware that Telus was planning on putting the overages in I was asking if there was an announcement on the costs per GB and/or if the caps are dropping.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
no

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Yeah I was aware that Telus was planning on putting the overages in I was asking if there was an announcement on the costs per GB and/or if the caps are dropping.

http://www.telus.com/content/internet/highspeed/compare.jsp

Same transfer as Shaw's new old caps.

Overage is $2/GB, except Lite which is five.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

http://www.telus.com/content/internet/highspeed/compare.jsp

Same transfer as Shaw's new old caps.

Overage is $2/GB, except Lite which is five.

Blurrrrgh. Well at least it isn't worse I guess.

It kind of sucks that Turbo isn't available in my `hood (Coquitlam).

Thanks!

Also, why is "online multiplayer gaming" not checked for the regular optik? Is the latency pretty bad?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

priznat posted:

Also, why is "online multiplayer gaming" not checked for the regular optik? Is the latency pretty bad?

No, it's just an attempt at upselling to idiots and 15-year-old pr0 n00b 0wnz0rZ. Unless they're actively throttling 100% of the time (oh god, don't even think about it) latency is going to be about the same regardless of your connection. Like how gas stations suggest that everyone needs premium gas to get the "best performance" out of their car, when the majority of the cars on the road will run exactly the same on 87 octane as they would on racing fuel.

:iiaca: (why do they always work so well?)

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

orange lime posted:

No, it's just an attempt at upselling to idiots. Unless they're actively throttling 100% of the time (oh god, don't even think about it) latency is going to be about the same regardless of your connection. Think of it how gas stations suggest that everyone needs premium gas to get the best performance out of their car, when the majority of the cars on the road will run exactly the same on 87 octane as they would on racing fuel.

Perhaps what Telus is selling here is "Fast Path" DSL connections instead of "Interleaved". The difference is ~100ms latency between them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Septimus posted:

Perhaps what Telus is selling here is "Fast Path" DSL connections instead of "Interleaved". The difference is ~100ms latency between them.
I don't think so.

I think why they didn't mark gaming for OHS is that depending on how many TVs are on, somebody else watching the Youtube etc. you could probably max out the service if you're in a crappy area and can only get 3 Mbps from the line.

orange lime posted:

No, it's just an attempt at upselling to idiots and 15-year-old pr0 n00b 0wnz0rZ.
This too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://tonyclement.ca/EN/3413/124561

Acknowledgement! That's the first step, i guess.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Now let's hope he gives the CRTC the finger just like he did on the WIND Mobile decision.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

http://tonyclement.ca/EN/3413/124561

Acknowledgement! That's the first step, i guess.

Our Conservative Government is focussed on the economy and creating a positive environment for job creators and business to flourish. Canadians can count on us to do what is in the best interest of consumers.”

Seems like the 1st sentence contradicts the first. :confuoot:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing.html

It's always fun reading the comments on the CBC.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

drcru posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing.html

It's always fun reading the comments on the CBC.
It's amusing how the tone has changed from the uninformed "gently caress you people downloading lots of jiggabites every month" now that they've received their notification about the impending slash to their own allocation.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Rather than spending $5 for an extra GB of internet I could get a

Five

Five Dolla

Five Dolla Footloooooooooong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

less than three posted:

It's amusing how the tone has changed from the uninformed "gently caress you people downloading lots of jiggabites every month" now that they've received their notification about the impending slash to their own allocation.

Well and theres been some good stats floating around out there like the "25gb only gets you around 25 hours of Netflix a month".

Thats 50 minutes a day! More than enough if you're not an oink oink BANDWIDTH HOG. GO OUTSIDE AND GET SOME FRESH AIR YOU FREELOADERS