Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah I think '05 was the year they fixed the crank issues as SpannerX mentioned and CubanRefugee alluded to, so I would lean that way. Unless you can find out if maybe the '03 has had work done in that area already, but at only 1700 miles it probably hasn't come up yet.

But I also think '05 had a worker's strike at the LML factory. This thread has discussion on '04 vs. '05 which might be relevant. I don't know when the strike started.

If the manufacture date on the '05 is late '04 or very early 2005 I might lean that way, but otherwise I think I'd take the '03 and pocket the dollars for future upgrades. Hell, $400 almost covers the cost (in parts) of a new kit, crank, and exhaust. If you're paranoid, go that route and start saving!

But to be totally honest I'm not as knowledgeable as I seem and I would recommend searching https://www.stellaspeed.com and deciding yourself!
Thanks for the replies Gay Nudist Dad, SpannerX, and CubanRefugee. I actually got extremely lucky and will be getting a new '09 stella for $3000 including the chrome rear rack, chrome cowl protectors, chrome front bumper, chrome legshield protectors, and the scooter lock for free. I'll be picking it up tomorrow and still need to decide on color...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

Thanks for the replies Gay Nudist Dad, SpannerX, and CubanRefugee. I actually got extremely lucky and will be getting a new '09 stella for $3000 including the chrome rear rack, chrome cowl protectors, chrome front bumper, chrome legshield protectors, and the scooter lock for free. I'll be picking it up tomorrow and still need to decide on color...

Nice!! Is that out the door? That beats the deal I got on my leftover-but-new '08 (~$2,700 OTD, but no free stuff), but that was because my dealer was going out of business and liquidating.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Adderholt posted:

I'll be picking it up tomorrow and still need to decide on color...

See, you already went through the easy part, now it's on to the hard stuff.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

BarbadosSlim posted:

Also another question that I found a hard time finding the answer to on the internet...

What is the life span of really good quality 50cc scooters like Yamaha C3 2007 scooters and Zumas? Like, if you get all your maintenance checked and major parts replaced on time can it go up to 30,000 miles? 50,000? 100,000?

Thanks guys!

Sorry this is a bit necro, but have you seen this trip?

http://scootercanada.weebly.com/

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Nice!! Is that out the door? That beats the deal I got on my leftover-but-new '08 (~$2,700 OTD, but no free stuff), but that was because my dealer was going out of business and liquidating.

OTD was $3100. Unfortunately they only had a couple of the bolt on pieces in stock, so I opted to come back next week when they get the rest and put them all on then. I was so happy picking it up and they were ridiculously nice. The only downside at the moment is that it's 25 degrees here.

CubanRefugee posted:

See, you already went through the easy part, now it's on to the hard stuff.

True, in the end I opted for.....

BLACK!

After seeing a picture of one with all the chrome on it there was no other choice. I also ordered a chrome horn casting and headset. I'm a little worried about how easy it is to spend money on it though :ohdear:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

OTD was $3100. Unfortunately they only had a couple of the bolt on pieces in stock, so I opted to come back next week when they get the rest and put them all on then. I was so happy picking it up and they were ridiculously nice. The only downside at the moment is that it's 25 degrees here.

True, in the end I opted for.....

BLACK!

After seeing a picture of one with all the chrome on it there was no other choice. I also ordered a chrome horn casting and headset. I'm a little worried about how easy it is to spend money on it though :ohdear:

Ugh yeah, soon after the bling it's performance. $150 on a Piaggio air filter, Sito+ exhaust, and new jets will tide you over for a while but not long after that you'll be craving a cylinder kit and expansion pipe. And a new seat and suspension upgrades.

But in the meantime, grats! They are a blast. Find a scooter club.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

And a new seat and suspension upgrades.

That's next on my list for mine. Right now I have the Ancilotti seat, and was considering trying out the King & Queen seat. I keep reading that they're comfortable as hell. Anyone here have one or tried one before?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CubanRefugee posted:

That's next on my list for mine. Right now I have the Ancilotti seat, and was considering trying out the King & Queen seat. I keep reading that they're comfortable as hell. Anyone here have one or tried one before?

I've been wanting a Corsa or Ancillotti myself. The K&Q probably is comfy as hell but my it is ugly. Why are you getting of the Ancillotti? Aren't they more comfortable than the stock seats?

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I've been wanting a Corsa or Ancillotti myself. The K&Q probably is comfy as hell but my it is ugly. Why are you getting of the Ancillotti? Aren't they more comfortable than the stock seats?

I've actually never sat on the stock seat before, so I don't have a good frame of reference. :v

I like the Ancilotti, but I just know there's something more comfortable out there. I've also read that the K&Q seat helps with riding posture. If I do end up going the K&Q route, I'd be more than happy to sell off the Ancilotti to you next time I'm up your way.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I've been doing a lot of scenic rides along the Mississippi River lately. It's been quite pleasant.

Day-long ride with the lady:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Starting a night ride with some friends:

Click here for the full 720x431 image.

The pictures aren't all that lovely to look at, but the ride is. We're trying to get a larger group ride together soon for another full day ride, and I'm hoping to have a decent camera by that time.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Where do you live?

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Where do you live?

Judging from that ferry sign, the placement of the dock to the river, and the buildings in the background of the three scooters, I'd have to say somewhere in the vicinity of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

CubanRefugee posted:

Judging from that ferry sign, the placement of the dock to the river, and the buildings in the background of the three scooters, I'd have to say somewhere in the vicinity of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

You would be correct. That's the Plaquemine Ferry in the daylight photo. I'm working on riding from Baton Rouge to New Orleans on River Road. That day we made it down to Geismar, but it was an impromptu ride, so we weren't planning on going too far.

Fake edit: Profile. I am a naive dolt.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Mushika posted:

Fake edit: Profile. I am a naive dolt.

:v:

That sounds like it should be a pretty awesome ride. Take plenty of pictures, and do share!

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

Mushika posted:

I'm working on riding from Baton Rouge to New Orleans on River Road.

Hey I'm in Nola and me and a bud were planning the same trip (backwards obviously). We should get up when the weather is nice again!

Last summer we rode all the way out to Port Sulfur at 40 MPH :cool:

Dead gator minus head

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Hey I'm in Nola and me and a bud were planning the same trip (backwards obviously). We should get up when the weather is nice again!
Most definitely! Meeting up halfway would be a breeze. Are you heading to Amerivespa in June?

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Dead gator minus head

Grab that thing and make some boots!

You should get an ah-oooga horn for your Ruckus.

I had one on mine before it got stolen, looked like a cannon mounted on the front rack.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Ampersand-e posted:

Grab that thing and make some boots!

I had one on mine before it got stolen, looked like a cannon mounted on the front rack.
I have one of those horn installed in my jeep. Best 20 bucks I've ever spent!

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

Ampersand-e posted:

Good sire I drive a Honda Elite 150 Deluxe with foot warmers, a automatic headlight, and pulsating neon lights. I would never be caught on a plebeian, garish Ruckus :smug:

Really though I want one so I can stop leaving my buddy in the dust :smug: :smug:

TylerC 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 29, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone think that if gas keeps going up we'll see another resurgence of scooters?

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!
I'd bet on it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a scooter for my mom and brother's birthday. Their birthdays are a day apart and my brother could use it for going to the store since he has no car. My mom has talked about getting one after seeing my neighbor ride his around and me having motorcycles.

I've been looking at Honda Spree's on craigslist and looked on their forum a bit. Is there anything wrong with these scooters aside from their 32mph top speed? I found out that there are two big bore kits for them but will that raise the top speed at all?

I'm going to call about this one tomorrow. http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/2187391779.html

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
If they can get everywhere they need to go with that sort of speed than a Spree could be a great starter. $700 seems like a lot for one, though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Yeah it seems like it should be quick enough. They all seem to be around $700 in the area unless it doesn't have a title or look like poo poo.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Good sire I drive a Honda Elite 150 Deluxe with foot warmers, a automatic headlight, and pulsating neon lights. I would never be caught on a plebeian, garish Ruckus :smug:

Really though I want one so I can stop leaving my buddy in the dust :smug: :smug:

I really love the 80's look of your elite. What does the instrument cluster look like?

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!

TylerC 2.0 posted:

He will eventually invest twice as much as he payed for it to make it go a little faster.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

Adderholt posted:

I really love the 80's look of your elite. What does the instrument cluster look like?
Not my pic as it's in storage for winter but here's one from google.

Digital speedometer and clock are the best part. This one seems to have a factory stereo which mine does not.

Ampersand-e posted:

He will eventually invest twice as much as he payed for it to make it go a little faster.

Once he destroys it we plan on putting a 600cc engine one there and making it A LOT faster :D

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Not my pic as it's in storage for winter but here's one from google.

Digital speedometer and clock are the best part. This one seems to have a factory stereo which mine does not.

That's ridiculously cool, I know what my next scooter is going to be. How do you like it overall?

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
I've ridden most styles of modernish twist and gos and it's by far the least queer (IMO) and best riding scooter out there. Getting a 150 is a must though as the 80cc Elites are under powered.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I ended up buying a 2004 Hyosung Sense for $450 last night for my mom and brothers birthday present. It had 625mi on it and rides pretty well. It's a 50cc 2T so it's reasonably quick and was able to get up to 45mph. It does start vibrating more and sounds different from about 40mph and up though. It seems really happy cruising around at 35mph. I rode it 11mi back to my house through town and didn't have any issues. I'm pretty sure a group of people in downtown Olympia laughed at me which I thought was amusing.

The guy I bought it from said that he hasn't had to do anything to it aside from change the oil. There is also a Hyosung dealer in town so I'm not too worried about getting parts or anything for it.

I'll get some pictures of it later today or probably tomorrow since it's stashed at my friends house so it wont ruin the surprise.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
drat good deal!

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Here are the pics I got of it today.

I need to take this sticker off but I thought it was funny.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I don't know much about Hyosung, but that's a pretty handsome scoot. The sticker is pretty funny as well; I'd probably leave it on, if it were mine. I get the wave most seldom from Harley riding suburban mid-life-crisis-biker-wannabes so it seems like lovely irony that you have that sticker on your front.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Don't mean to upset y'all mofos rolling on your broke rear end ruckuses and such, but my bike is looking better by the day

Awwwwww yeah :smug:

Adderholt fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 18, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

Don't mean to upset y'all mofos rolling on your broke as ruckuses and such, but my bike is looking better by the day

How's that legshield mirror? Looks great, but is it useful? (less useless than the stock mirrors?)

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

How's that legshield mirror? Looks great, but is it useful? (less useless than the stock mirrors?)
I've only ridden with it for about 35 miles, but so far I prefer it by a wide margin to the stock mirrors. It can vibrate a bit in certain RPMs, but no worse than the stock ones. I've heard some people have a problem with knocking them off, but it hasn't been an issue (yet) with mine. And it's refreshing to see something besides my shoulders in my mirror while riding.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Adderholt posted:

Don't mean to upset y'all mofos rolling on your broke rear end ruckuses and such, but my bike is looking better by the day

Nice!

Anyone hear if the 4ts are out on the road yet?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SpannerX posted:

Nice!

They aren't, and there's "still no word" on when they will be. 2-stroke versions seem to be going ever cheaper, though. Saw a dealer ad on Seattle Craigslist for new 2009 2-strokes for $2,599.

Really lovely situation, I feel bad for Genuine but especially for all the would-be buyers who already put deposits down.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpannerX posted:

Nice!

Thanks!
GND is right although my local dealer has a red one for sale for $3800, so I don't know wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Adderholt posted:

I've only ridden with it for about 35 miles, but so far I prefer it by a wide margin to the stock mirrors. It can vibrate a bit in certain RPMs, but no worse than the stock ones. I've heard some people have a problem with knocking them off, but it hasn't been an issue (yet) with mine. And it's refreshing to see something besides my shoulders in my mirror while riding.

Where'd you get that mirror anyways? I have the same issue, the stock mirrors are too drat short, so all I see is my armpit. The long stadium style mirrors I think would just look too out of place for me.