Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

TurboLuvah posted:

Two words: Snow. Tires.

But in DC, I don't know if it snows there frequently enough (snowfall amounts are another thing) to warrant dedicated snows.

Yeah, very true story. Plus I just bought it five days ago. If I was going to put aftermarket rims on it I would put snow tires on the stockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demokracy
Jul 23, 2009

I'm not sure why I haven't posted in this thread sooner. Here's my girl:

I've noticed a lot of people from Washington post here. Does anyone go to the ORV Park past Elbe?

Shubs
Sep 27, 2008

by angerbot
70 degree weekend in Dallas - cue safari top. How do I bypass the doors so the car doesn't always think they're open though?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Pull fuse #4 behind the glove box or put some spring clips on the door triggers. If you're really motivated, you can easily wire a switch into the fuse block and have it toggle.

Demokracy posted:

I've noticed a lot of people from Washington post here. Does anyone go to the ORV Park past Elbe?

You mean Elbe Hills? I did the Busy Wild trail a few times in my YJ with no problem. Whenever I get my XJ done I plan on heading back.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Demokracy posted:

Hmm, maybe we should plan a Washington Goon Jeep trailride...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
What is some nice (semi)legal power upgrades for a 1989 4.0L? I'm going o have my engine rebuilt soon, and why not add some more power. Does have to pass a sniff test for Reno, but other than that, I think I'm good.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Crank and rods from a 4.2L. Boom. Stroker.

Oh, and a new cam.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 28, 2011

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Philip J Fry posted:

Crank and rods from a 4.2L. Boom. Stroker.

Oh, and a new cam.

Is it really that easy?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Basically, yes. There's a handful of small tweaks you can do on top of that though (even the cam is borderline optional depending on your plan).

Here's a sample list from http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

4.6L "poor man's" stroker
-------------------------
Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Sealed Power 677CP +0.020" bore pistons
9.25:1 CR
Stock 4.0 HO camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.088" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
248hp @ 4900rpm, 303lbft @ 3500rpm

Demokracy
Jul 23, 2009

Philip J Fry posted:

You mean Elbe Hills? I did the Busy Wild trail a few times in my YJ with no problem. Whenever I get my XJ done I plan on heading back.

Yep, those are the trails. I'm usually out there every weekend, or at least every other weekend.

Braincloud posted:

Hmm, maybe we should plan a Washington Goon Jeep trailride...

I'm down for that. Its getting harder and harder to find people to go with since everyone is broke and couldn't afford to fix things if they break.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Went to pick up my trailer hitch today. Big beefy uhaul for le cheap.

Then I asked the guy at the counter for Cherokee interior bits. He opened the back door and told me to go find them.

These two little guys had most of the parts I needed... and some extra goodies. None of the five or so Cherokees in the yard had rear hatches and their windows were down, so I used a glove box to shovel them out.

Rear trim piece as mine was broken to hell.

Speaker covers to replace my junky ones. Trim piece with fuse panel cover as mine didn't come with one. Visor with a vanity mirror that isn't cracked all over. Center console vent thingy as one of mine had a ton of broken fins. And my biggest find.... some speakers.

My jeep came with aftermarket pioneers in the rear, but one was blown out. I was going to try and fix it, but while I was at the yard I checked for speakers. The biggest thing I've learned about yard diving is to check for aftermarket parts. I pulled the speaker grills off of one cherokee and JACKPOT. These are fancy Alpine Type R's that are so fancy they have a crossover box. The price? Ten Dollars for both. SCORE.

Next time I go, I need to bring a sled to carry parts.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Whats the best place to sell a jeep? I've got a 07 Wrangler 4 door with 65k miles that i want to sell for what i owe the bank on it. The only thing is i have to get the windsheild replaced, its got a dent in the bumper cover, and has about 10k miles left on the tires tread wise.

I tried craigslist and all i got were horribly worded emails which im guessing are spam.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

e: nm

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 30, 2012

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I am going to be selling my cherokee. Do you guys have any idea what a 90 cherokee with 5.5" lift and 33" tires locked front and rear would go for? I know it depends on the region, but do you guys have any suggestions for a starting point?

Junction_3_15 (12) by atticus_1354, on Flickr

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Atticus_1354 posted:

I am going to be selling my cherokee. Do you guys have any idea what a 90 cherokee with 5.5" lift and 33" tires locked front and rear would go for? I know it depends on the region, but do you guys have any suggestions for a starting point?

If you have time to sell you might as well start high and lower if there's no interest. Something like $3k probably isn't too bad to start.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

mod sassinator posted:

If you have time to sell you might as well start high and lower if there's no interest. Something like $3k probably isn't too bad to start.

I'd start above $5k if you're not in a rush. $3k is way cheap for a lifted, locked Cherokee with bumpers, and a tire carrier. A plain jane 1990 Cherokee in VA seems to have an asking price of $1500.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Your biggest issue is probably going to be finding a buyer who understands/wants/is willing to pay extra for all the mods. You might try posting classifieds on naxja and JeepForum.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Thanks guys. I am going to start around 5k and be open to offers. I am not in a super rush. I just need to upgrade to a more road oriented vehicle by summer time. I am going to be slapping a for sale sign on it so maybe I will get a little interest at school.

Baldy
Apr 5, 2002

This started out as an EZ-GO golf cart. My uncle started off the project with a custom built lift kit to get around the woods and fields to check traps. Obviously it became a much larger project. There are a bunch more pictures showing the details of the build. I'll try to get a few more from him to post. Hope you enjoy!

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Veins McGee posted:

I'd start above $5k if you're not in a rush. $3k is way cheap for a lifted, locked Cherokee with bumpers, and a tire carrier. A plain jane 1990 Cherokee in VA seems to have an asking price of $1500.

Yeah I would clarify locked axles though, are they permanently locked/spooled, part time lockers like ARB, oxlocker, etc. or automatic lockers like a detroit or aussie locker? If they're part time or automatic lockers yeah I would ask more, but if they're permanently locked the car won't really be usable on the road by most people so you'll have a harder time finding a buyer.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I would clarify locked axles though, are they permanently locked/spooled, part time lockers like ARB, oxlocker, etc. or automatic lockers like a detroit or aussie locker? If they're part time or automatic lockers yeah I would ask more, but if they're permanently locked the car won't really be usable on the road by most people so you'll have a harder time finding a buyer.

Detroit rear and OX up front with manual hubs. It is very drivable on the road. That is pretty much all I have been using it for lately and the reason I am selling it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Nice, you might as well start at 5 and drop if no interest.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Where are you located? I'm trying to talk my brother out of dumping money into his and buying one that already has the work done.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Where are you located? I'm trying to talk my brother out of dumping money into his and buying one that already has the work done.

In Texas just North of Houston. I would be willing to travel a little distance to sell it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hail Mary part number / part request:
My friend got his 2000 XJ broken into, and the thief ripped the airbag wiring out of the plug that plugs into the clockspring assembly. Reference photo:

And that yellow plug shattered. Is there any place that might sell just that plug? The shop he has his Jeep at is quoting $200 for replacing things; I'm guessing the whole harness that plug comes on.

e: failing a part number, what's a good online Jeep parts store? I can't really find one, and it doesn't look like Rock Auto has anything relevant.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 3, 2011

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
Oh god, this loving Jeep...

My 1996 Cherokee Sport (4-door with the lift up the lever part time 4wd) has a bad hub bearing, according to my tire/wheel shop. Does this mean I need to replace the hub itself, just the bearing, or what? Can this be done reasonably easily? Can I get a junkyard part and call it good? I'm a bit out of my league here, and I'm liking my Jeep less and less each day. Any advice/help would be massively appreciated, thank you.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

brickswereshat posted:

My 1996 Cherokee Sport (4-door with the lift up the lever part time 4wd) has a bad hub bearing, according to my tire/wheel shop. Does this mean I need to replace the hub itself

Yes.

brickswereshat posted:

just the bearing

No. Hub and bearing are a pressed-together assembly, and are not serviceable.

brickswereshat posted:

Can this be done reasonably easily?

Depends on your skill level. Remove wheel/tire, remove brake caliper, remove brake rotor, remove axle nut, separate balljoint and pull steering knuckle away from axle, remove (3) hub retaining bolts, remove hub. It's very similar to working on a FWD car, if you've ever done that.

brickswereshat posted:

Can I get a junkyard part and call it good?

I wouldn't.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
Yeah, I told my landlord that rent would be late and made an appointment for someone else to deal with this. I only do my own auto stuff when I don't have to lay in a slush puddle or a snowbank. I used to be an "all weather" mechanic, but I realized that snow+wrenches equal frozen, achy joints.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Atticus_1354 posted:

In Texas just North of Houston. I would be willing to travel a little distance to sell it.

Ah that would be one hell of a drive to WI then, thanks anyways.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Came home this morning and noticed a big crack right down the center of my Jeep's windshield. I just can't win.

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

I'm looking to buy a 4 wheel drive SUV for less than $3000 for my job. I popped on Craigslist, and came across this Grand Cherokee:

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/2194825461.html

Does this look like a good buy, or should I keep looking?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Heous posted:

I'm looking to buy a 4 wheel drive SUV for less than $3000 for my job. I popped on Craigslist, and came across this Grand Cherokee:

Decent sounding for $1800. I actually live a few minutes from Coaldale. If it were me, I would try to lowball him down to like $1200 or maybe less. If he plans on trading it in pretty much anything you offer is going to be more than he gets as a trade in.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Shubs posted:

70 degree weekend in Dallas - cue safari top. How do I bypass the doors so the car doesn't always think they're open though?

Drop down the glovebox and pull out fuse #4. The interior lamps will still operate manually via switch, but won't stay on with the doors off, nor will the chime sound.

kimbo305 posted:

Hail Mary part number / part request:
My friend got his 2000 XJ broken into, and the thief ripped the airbag wiring out of the plug that plugs into the clockspring assembly. Reference photo:

Is there some reason he can't pull a connector from a junkyard vehicle and splice it in? Also I believe that most of these airbag connectors are standardized, at least across Chrysler vehicles. He should be able to pull it out of anything. Don't quote me on that though, it's just what I've heard.

I'm down for a Washington wheeling trip. I really miss wheeling with groups, but everybody I ever knew that I used to wheel with turned into douchebags, almost all local 4x4 forum meets are full of douchebags too. Just basically everyone I meet who is into wheeling turns out to be in one way or another a huge meathead rear end in a top hat. I think you guys are alright. If I can find a 4x4 group that isn't into comparing dick size, extreme conservative politics, and who can blast lovely heavy metal music the loudest on the trail, it would be great.

P.S. you guys with black steelies on your JKs, you're doing it right. It looks cool. I don't care for any of the stock JK rims, and I like the utilitarian, military-looking steelies. Soft 8s are OK but they're sort of overdone.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 5, 2011

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Heous posted:

Aren't the Jeep V8's (4.7, 5.2, etc.) not well regarded for reliability? You can't go wrong with something powered by the 4 liter I6. It will leak a little oil and get pretty bad mileage (13-15mpg) but will run forever.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
The 5.2 is pretty solid, I wouldn't pick it over a 4.0, but like the 4.0 it's a very old engine design and had very few quirks by the time it was put in the ZJ. The 4.7 is a totally new engine design, overhead cams, all aluminum, the works.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Aren't the Jeep V8's (4.7, 5.2, etc.) not well regarded for reliability? You can't go wrong with something powered by the 4 liter I6. It will leak a little oil and get pretty bad mileage (13-15mpg) but will run forever.

The 4.7 is not bad at at all, used in a bunch of other trucks. They're now ~12 years old and don't have any significant issues (that I've heard of anyway). Just make sure you change the oil regularly as they've had some reported oil sludging. Mines got 140k still going strong.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

incredibull posted:

Is there some reason he can't pull a connector from a junkyard vehicle and splice it in? Also I believe that most of these airbag connectors are standardized, at least across Chrysler vehicles. He should be able to pull it out of anything. Don't quote me on that though, it's just what I've heard.

Just the couple feet of snow that must be in junkyards in our area. The only question is how the wire ends would mate into the end of the a plug. Splizwarf is doing me a favor and looking in his area, since they haven't had the snow like up here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

mod sassinator posted:

It's not the engines, it's the 42RE auto trans.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, I guess my hopes for a JK are pretty much dashed. Was really dead set on getting when one I come back to the states. That was until tonight, when I talked to 3 different people who own them. All 3 said they regretted the hell out of it, that it was gutless and underpowered as gently caress, and while the Jeep itself was amazing offroad, the engine was almost scarily underpowered at times.

One actually swapped a stroker 4.0 in to his, due to blowing a HG and cracking a head on the 3.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
It really surprises me they don't put the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 in the Wrangler these days. Must be too tight a fit. :(