Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

IRQ posted:

I am suddenly a million less times pumped for The Heroes :(

Why? If anything Ninefingers deserves his own book focused on him, not being some background/secondary/ensemble character in a book focused on something completely different. This works for Shivers - or even Bayaz as mover of pieces - very well, but for Ninefingers? He deserves better.

And anyway, Ninefingers or not, the book is bloody amazing and there are more than enough people to bring the crazy Northener (and Southener).

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm reading Heroes now and Bremer dan Gorst is awesome, he's like a medieval Mike Tyson.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

savinhill posted:

I'm reading Heroes now and Bremer dan Gorst is awesome, he's like a medieval Mike Tyson.

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable!

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

IRQ posted:

I am suddenly a million less times pumped for The Heroes :(

Ugh, could we spoiler any discussion of actual plot developments please? Your response to the previous spoiler gave away what it said with your reaction.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Logen not appearing in Heroes isn't exactly a spoiler. Logen is gone, forever, get over it! His story ended perfectly, exactly as it began.

edit: Gosh. It's not really a big deal.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 31, 2011

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Bummey posted:

Logen not appearing in Heroes isn't exactly a spoiler. Logen is gone, forever, get over it! His story ended perfectly, exactly as it began.

I know it's not a big deal, but still. Probably safest just to stay out altogether if I want to avoid any spoilage :)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zedar posted:

Ugh, could we spoiler any discussion of actual plot developments please? Your response to the previous spoiler gave away what it said with your reaction.

I don't see how. I could have meant pretty much anything. If you were even able to deduce what I was talking about you've probably "spoiled" some things for yourself already.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bummey posted:

To be fair, his story last ended on a cliffhanger (heh) so why wouldn't his status in future books be considered a spoiler?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

To be fair, his story last ended on a cliffhanger (heh) so why wouldn't his status in future books be considered a spoiler?

Not if you're a thinking person with half a brain. As I said, his story ended exactly as it began, with him jumping over the edge of a high cliff and into a river. That's left open ended for a reason: Not so readers can expect to see more of him in the future, but to poetically leave him exactly where he started. He's either going to fall back into his old bloodthirsty ways "Aww gently caress it I'm already fat might as well keep eating", or move on to a new location and attempt to be a better man only to fail yet again. Either way, it doesn't matter. It would just be retreading ground that he already covered over the course of three books.

Logen's story ended perfectly. Just like Costa in the trilogy. It was ultimately harmful bringing him back in Best Served Cold.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I liked seeing more of Cosca. He's awesome.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bummey posted:

Not if you're a thinking person with half a brain. As I said, his story ended exactly as it began, with him jumping over the edge of a high cliff and into a river. That's left open ended for a reason: Not so readers can expect to see more of him in the future, but to poetically leave him exactly where he started. He's either going to fall back into his old bloodthirsty ways "Aww gently caress it I'm already fat might as well keep eating", or move on to a new location and attempt to be a better man only to fail yet again. Either way, it doesn't matter. It would just be retreading ground that he already covered over the course of three books.

Logen's story ended perfectly. Just like Costa in the trilogy. It was ultimately harmful bringing him back in Best Served Cold.

Your opinion appears to be speaking for a lot of people. There are those in this thread who actually wonder if Logen will be back, not if you think he should be. The answer is in spoilers for them. As for Cosca, I'm of the mind that his character is what made BSC.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Whaaat? Cosca was one of my favorite parts of BSC.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I Marathoned The Heroes awesome book and as ive come to expect from Abercrombie he writes a hell of a fight scene. I really enjoyed the book however it does feel alot like Best Served Cold where your left wanting more and that by the time you warm up to the new cast the book is over.

Also while it was a little strange I really enjoyed how the perspective would change alot mid battle with kind of a tag match between no name characters killing each other and then getting killed, the perspective following the killer each time. It was impressive that things still seemed to make sense and progress while flipping around all over the place.

I would have to disagree with that amazon review some of the characters were rather shallow but you get some cool insight into Black dow and Calder was alot more interesting than he seemed in the trilogy.

If anyone feels this is spoilerish ill edit it out.

also Cosca was awesome in BSC

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Cosca and his ex-con sidekick were my favorite parts of Best Served Cold. They should get cameos in every single fantasy book.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've been really busy this past week so I'm still not very far in The Heroes, but I just read the part where (semi-spoiler from the first 200 or so pages) It follows a Union soldier until he gets killed, then the Northerner who killed him until he gets killed, etc etc for a bunch of deaths until it gets to Gorst riding in a like a badass at the end. So loving cool, the battle scenes here are already the best Abercrombie has written, and I'm only a third of the way through the book.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
I just started it last night. In the very first chapter... someone already swallows sour spit. :( Oh well.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
No stores in Reno have broken the release date. This is a lovely 4 days.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I got mine wedensday. Really weird, since Amazon UK was originally telling me it wouldn't ship 'till the 15th or so. Just finished, haven't really had time to digest it but if you've got questions I'll try to answer 'em without spoilers.
paraphrased:
"It's the Bloody-nine!"
"No it isn't, he's dead!"
The Dogman stabs a bitch, and says "AAAAAGH it's the Bloody-Nine!" and then all Dow's skirmishers fuckin' bolt.

In conclusion the Dogman is the best. And I feel sorry for Craw. I hoped he'd quit for realsies

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I also marathoned through The Heroes. I'd agree that it's probably his weakest of the five. A lot of the book felt like filler, and in the end not much happened besides some setting up for the next big story arc. But that's not to say it wasn't a good book; I still enjoyed myself quite a lot and I really wish there was more of it to read.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I can't think of much that was new in this novel; even the cool sword that mad guy had was obviously one of Kanedias'. There was nothing like Fenris or Aulculus, and not much of the backstory was expanded on.

It's also getting tiring that Bayaz always gets exactly what he wants.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Plucky Brit posted:

It's also getting tiring that Bayaz always gets exactly what he wants.

He doesn't. Don't forget that the whole business in Styria went completely contrary to what he wanted. And even in TFL not everything went according to his plan.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Decius posted:

He doesn't. Don't forget that the whole business in Styria went completely contrary to what he wanted. And even in TFL not everything went according to his plan.

I'm convinced that all of Abercrombie's books so far are just setting up Bayaz for a really hard fall later.

e: that didn't need to be spoilered.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just started Heroes, but I'm hoping that the next trilogy is written from the perspective of the South, with the Prophet being portrayed in the right (or as close as to right as you can get in this world). It'd be nice, since you have a trilogy about Bayaz's plans, then three stand alones to establish bridging characters into another trilogy revolving around Kaneda's plans.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Woohoo! The Heroes just arrived on my kindle. :dance: I've been bookless for a week or two and it's been killing me!

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Woohoo...I've got about 100 pages left of the final Black Company book, and then it's on to The Heroes.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I finished The Heroes on the weekend. Has Abercrombie said much about what inspired him for this book? Because it read very much like The Killer Angels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Angels

Which is no criticism (although I don't think Joe will be getting the Pulitzer Prize in a hurry. Even if he was American.)

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Just finished the Heroes. I liked it quite a bit, it kind of feels like Abercrombie was just wrapping things up in the North so that whatever he does next can be somewhere else without people moaning about wanting to know what the Dogman is up to.

There is at least one answer to a question that people have asked about the end to the First Law trilogy. poor west

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bizob posted:

poor west

Oh, yes. Goddrat :smith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Oh, yes. Goddrat :smith:

I finished The Heroes about a week ago but looking back now, was there ever any mention of Glokta?

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Heroes talk here I thought the book was OK, but it was very one dimensional and I got tired of hearing Craw talk about straight edge, and the Northmen playing the stereotypical part. As well as seeing more incompetence from the Union, both of which have already been done over and over again in the other books. Someone posted an amazon review earlier in this thread, and it kind of hits the nail on the head. I think Joe could have done more with this if it was a longer period than 3 days. 3 days is not enough time to give anyone character development, except maybe Calder, but he didn't change all that much, killing Tenways, and Reachey after the battle. Too bad about Bremer too, should of stayed in the North. I'm really more interested in the Prophet and Bayaz conflict, so far we don't know anything about the Prophet, so there is some unexplored ground yet for Joe to cover.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Have I forgotten this much about what happened in BSC? What did Bremer do to deserve this?

Oh, right, it's a Joe Abercrombie book. :doh:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Bummey posted:

Have I forgotten this much about what happened in BSC? What did Bremer do to deserve this?

Oh, right, it's a Joe Abercrombie book. :doh:

Hey, guy's made an automatic balls-kicking machine. No point unless you use it to kick everyone and everything in the balls!

I guess the book's out now? I'll have to wait until payday to grab it... sigh. Oh well.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Bummey posted:

all he did was get knocked out by Shivers in that whorehouse. then he got made a scapegoat for the entire fiasco.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Destro posted:

Heroes talk here I thought the book was OK, but it was very one dimensional and I got tired of hearing Craw talk about straight edge, and the Northmen playing the stereotypical part. As well as seeing more incompetence from the Union, both of which have already been done over and over again in the other books. Someone posted an amazon review earlier in this thread, and it kind of hits the nail on the head. I think Joe could have done more with this if it was a longer period than 3 days. 3 days is not enough time to give anyone character development, except maybe Calder, but he didn't change all that much, killing Tenways, and Reachey after the battle. Too bad about Bremer too, should of stayed in the North. I'm really more interested in the Prophet and Bayaz conflict, so far we don't know anything about the Prophet, so there is some unexplored ground yet for Joe to cover.

I thought the characters very well done, although I didn't care for Craw and Bremer's inner whining was annoying (but that was probably a bit of the point). He even managed to make me feel sorry for Black Dow.
And for incompetence - we have seen just as much from the Northerners too. And incompetence or not, the Union was the clear winner in the settlement compared to the North - but of course Bayaz was the main reason for this and the main winner of the whole thing (as usual except BSC).

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 9, 2011

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Bizob posted:

all he did was get knocked out by Shivers in that whorehouse. then he got made a scapegoat for the entire fiasco.

Drunk, and busy with a prostitute prior to getting knocked out, and not for the first time. At least according to bust up at the end with the young lady who's name I've forgotten. I loved that bit, for all his anger and resentment he was as much to blame as anyone.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jekub posted:

Drunk, and busy with a prostitute prior to getting knocked out, and not for the first time. At least according to bust up at the end with the young lady who's name I've forgotten. I loved that bit, for all his anger and resentment he was as much to blame as anyone.

Finree, who was probably my favourite in the book next to (Black) Calder. Balls of Steel, standing up to and teasing Bayaz, who she knew was the most powerful man in the Union. Repeatedly. But also getting stumped by an idiot like Meed, showing that she isn't always as clever and subtle as she thinks she is (an issue I sometimes have with scheming characters is that they are too perfect at their craft).

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 9, 2011

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Bizob posted:

I think that he is actually just making an excuse to make himself feel better by saying that he was made a scapegoat. Finree says that he was drunk with a whore in Sipani, and that it had happened before. He also internally monologues that he would never let himself get weak again like he did in Sipani during one of his running sessions or something.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
A whole bookcase of Halo universe spinoffs are available, but not one copy of The Heroes is in stock at Borders.

What the gently caress

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The only thing I really didn't like about the end of Heroes was Bayaz's "this was my plan all along!!" with getting Calder in power. I thought that was dumb. I don't mind Bayaz getting what he wants, but I would have preferred if he just made use of the situation at hand rather then having orchestrated any part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Diver Dick posted:

A whole bookcase of Halo universe spinoffs are available, but not one copy of The Heroes is in stock at Borders.

What the gently caress

Same issue here, they told me none of the stores in the district received any. I just placed the order on their site since I had a gift card I wanted to use it.

I checked to see if they had any of his books and all they had was one paperback copy of BSC.