Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Axe-man posted:

0.34.9 downloaded from the website about 2 weeks ago now.

MegaMek v0.34.9 is more than a year old now. I'd recommend getting one of the development snapshots as the current version in SVN is 0.35.22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

MegaMek v0.34.9 is more than a year old now. I'd recommend getting one of the development snapshots as the current version in SVN is 0.35.22.

good plan. ironically everyone seems to have the old version. :v:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Longinus00 posted:

Yeah, I went with the "last stable" version which is still 34.9. I usually do that unless I have a really good reason not to.

Also, this fight is HILARIOUS. I am jumping around like a tiny, maddened gnat and demonstrating how useful a very mobile mech can be even in not-very-rough terrain, people are having massive issues trying to stand up, the dice are being wonky...

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dominus Caedis posted:

Not to derail any further but WotC is actually releasing DnD: the Gathering as an optional rule that is mandatory for certain events. Like literally trading cards that you use in a DnD game. So the grognard fears were not unfounded.

Arquinsiel posted:

What you mean they didn't?

To be fair to them, that was a fear in 1997 when the buy-out happened. This is 14 years later that they finally are, and well after WotC was bought out themselves.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tempest_56 posted:

To be fair to them, that was a fear in 1997 when the buy-out happened. This is 14 years later that they finally are, and well after WotC was bought out themselves.
gently caress fair, we're gamers.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

still using the old "last stable version," v0.34.9 MATCH HAS STARTED

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

the dice are being wonky...

Welcome to Battletech!

Also, don't assume the lasers are inaccurate. Assume battlemechs are actually a really terrible weapons platform all-around, they're just tough as a mountain so everyone uses them.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Not to mention fighting in F4 tornados

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Shiva Asori posted:

Not to mention fighting in F4 tornados

It was F5 class in the end couldn't even fire a AC only beam weapons and a +5 to all piloting rolls, at least it was a clear day :ohdear:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Welcome to Battletech!

Also, don't assume the lasers are inaccurate. Assume battlemechs are actually a really terrible weapons platform all-around, they're just tough as a mountain so everyone uses them.

You like that wonky dice? Our second battle tonight in megamek, first bloody round I take a through-armor critical straight to the gyro. I'm in a Hatchetman who relies on mobility to keep circling and hitting an enemy at point blank range from behind. First time I try to jump, gyro fails and I never get up.

And then Axe-Man scored two hits on Rhobot's head in consecutive rounds to almost, almost pull out a victory down 2-1. Wonky-rear end dice.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

What made you think this would stand up to sustained weapons fire, Mukaikubo? =P

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Arquinsiel posted:

Mechwarrior 3 did it to a limited extent. It didn't really make it much more difficult to leg a mech with four CERLarge lasers but hey....

Mechwarrior 2 did, too.

I re-installed the first Mercenaries a while back and was actually kinda surprised at how much the targeting reticle bounced around the faster you moved.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Mechwarrior 2 did, too.

I re-installed the first Mercenaries a while back and was actually kinda surprised at how much the targeting reticle bounced around the faster you moved.
I haven't managed to get it running on XP or later, so I haven't played this era of MW game since about 2003. How does one do such a thing?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Angry_Ed posted:

The corollary to this though is "until my character is horribly derailed in an expansion pack" :v:

MW4:Black Knight NEVER HAPPENED! >_<

Ian saved Joanna, and then he left to go kick Steiner rear end. He most certainly did not turn around and kill her, betraying everything he'd fought for, and hand the platter over Her Royal Bitchiness! >_<

[/rage]

PoptartsNinja posted:

Welcome to Battletech!

Then how do you explain tanks and VTOLs and infantrymen having the same crap accuracy even within their weapons' supposed effective ranges?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
'Mechs are hard targets because they stagger around and are otherwise a colossal pain in the rear end to get near. I sorta picture them flailing around with every step. For those of you who played Planetside: it was hard as hell to hit a BFR's vulnerable points for exactly that reason.

... and, to compensate, the BFRs pretty much couldn't hit you back unless you were crouching or they were New Conglomerate with their goddamned anti-everything shotgun rockets.

Anyway, waiting on a quick order clarification from a player (jumping into woods forces a piloting roll, I want to make sure that's what they want).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They all attended the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy.

Also, regarding the Black Knight thing, didn't it get retconned that the "real" story was that Ian did precisely what you said, and that anything known to the contrary was a Steiner propaganda campaign?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zaodai posted:

Also, regarding the Black Knight thing, didn't it get retconned that the "real" story was that Ian did precisely what you said, and that anything known to the contrary was a Steiner propaganda campaign?

I always viewed black knight as basically a group of mercs being backstabbed so they go against Ian, they don't care if he is bad or not, they just are pissed off. Who knows about that one guy though the old mechtech was always grumbling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zaodai posted:

Game events etc are non-canon unless specifically mentioned in a sourcebook.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yes, and that's all fascinating, except we were talking about the game continuity itself.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of the novels are canon despite not being codified explicitly in the tabletop game rules.

[EDIT]
Yes, he did. That may also have been where they retconned his betrayal into having been a smear campaign by the Steiners so that the common people would overthrow him.
VVVVV

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Didn't a Duke Ian Dresari show up in one of the novels as helping to fight off a Draconis Combine attack on Kentares? I seem to recall something like that, but dimly.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

'Mechs are hard targets because they stagger around and are otherwise a colossal pain in the rear end to get near. I sorta picture them flailing around with every step. For those of you who played Planetside: it was hard as hell to hit a BFR's vulnerable points for exactly that reason.

... and, to compensate, the BFRs pretty much couldn't hit you back unless you were crouching or they were New Conglomerate with their goddamned anti-everything shotgun rockets.

But... What about tanks and VTOLs and infantrymen shooting at each other? That's actually going to be relevant to me soon, since the scenario I'm setting up for my friend and that campaign has a bunch of mad-max style hill raiders in armed Swift Winds attacking a town and its militia...

Zaodai posted:

Actually, that explains everything, including 'mech gunnery. Imps can't shoot straight unless they're shooting a gigantic, immobile target, like a sandcrawler or shield generator.

quote:

I'd think that the old mechanic guy would have known the truth - after all, he was there. Yet he was on the rebels side again, this time trying to kill Ian.

I just prefer to block that all out. Ian saved Joanna, and went off to kick Katrina Steiner's rear end, and anything anybody says to the contrary is a drat DIRTY LIE!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Mechwarrior 4 was mentioned in the FCCW sourcebook, but it pretty much consisted of a small blurb about how Ian Dresari retook Kentares.

I think the only other game that actually exists in canon is Crescent Hawks Inception, but not necessarily Revenge. And even then I think thats more because one of the developers liked the game and decided to bring back the Crescent Hawks as a merc unit in the Jihad.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The sad part is that I actually like Black Knight as an expansion pack, just not that one major aspect of the story. The revenge tale of a betrayed Merc Regiment? Awesome. The final set of missions? Really awesome. Dresari being a two-timing douchebag as bad as the people he had fought against to liberate the planet in the first place? Not so much.

Course, I could just like it because the Wolfhound and Black Knight battlemechs are in it. :shobon:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 31, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Didn't a Duke Ian Dresari show up in one of the novels as helping to fight off a Draconis Combine attack on Kentares? I seem to recall something like that, but dimly.

No, that was his brother Col. Peter Dresari of the 4th Davion Guards. Duke Ian did reappear in the FedCom Civil War though - he fought to defend Kentares against the 3rd Benjamin Regulars and got saved by the 10th Lyran.

See though, this is one of the things I like about the current writers. They've been taking steps to bring into canon all the non-canon stuff, like the Mechwarrior games and such. I was actually pretty drat happy when I found that the Crescent Hawks are fully canonical now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
... Wow, the Griffin's luck with LRMs amazes me.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 31, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Wow, the Griffin's luck on the LRM table amazes me.

oh oh oh did he fall head first into water? :dance:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Wow, the Griffin's luck on the LRM table amazes me.

I love PoptartsNinja's tantalizing little comments. So...f5-inducing.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

oh oh oh did he fall head first into water? :dance:

Why do you assume that's good luck and not bad luck? :f5:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tempest_56 posted:

See though, this is one of the things I like about the current writers. They've been taking steps to bring into canon all the non-canon stuff, like the Mechwarrior games and such. I was actually pretty drat happy when I found that the Crescent Hawks are fully canonical now.

Oooch. If this is true, then I'd love to see Spectre and Castle appear someplace canon. It's too bad that neither of them are really well developed. :(

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Why do you assume that's good luck and not bad luck? :f5:

I was thinking, considering his luck so far has been missing just about every shot, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had a huge post here on the Crescent Hawks and how awesome they are and have always been in the books and poo poo and then I f5'd by dumb.

gently caress.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'd really love someone to take the logical brave leap in computer games and give each weapon its individual target reticule. Naturally they all wander around if the mech is moving. That'd separate newbies from legends.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

I had a huge post here on the Crescent Hawks and how awesome they are and have always been in the books and poo poo and then I f5'd by dumb.

gently caress.

Could you post a summary of the story in Inception and Revenge? I played revenge when I was younger but it was way to confusing/hard for 10 year old me.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd really love someone to take the logical brave leap in computer games and give each weapon its individual target reticule. Naturally they all wander around if the mech is moving. That'd separate newbies from legends.

Now I wish Origin made a BT game. They had this exact mechanic in the later wing commander games since lots of the weapon projectiles had different velocities.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 31, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Eh, if its anything like how AT1 did it, I'm not sure I'm interested.

The arm weapons were fine, but the developers pretty much forgot the notion that torso-mounted guns had a limited ability to traverse to account for stability, and were thus pretty much impossible to use.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oooh, 2 damage short of a forced piloting check. Oh well, crit time.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oooh, 2 damage short of a forced piloting check. Oh well, crit time.

On who? On WHO?!

drat you, PoptartsNinja!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Wow, the Griffin's luck with LRMs amazes me.

Tis not luck that guides my missiles.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The real key is, has the Hussar run away. The suspense is killing me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

Tis not luck that guides my missiles.

Then it must be faith in the Emperor! Because we know you don't have a targeting computer tucked away in there. Clearly you're a Space Marine that snuck into the Inner Sphere after murdering that planet full of birdmen (which is tucked away in the Warp, making it a gateway between the universes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zaodai posted:

Then it must be faith in the Emperor! Because we know you don't have a targeting computer tucked away in there. Clearly you're a Space Marine that snuck into the Inner Sphere after murdering that planet full of birdmen (which is tucked away in the Warp, making it a gateway between the universes).

The emperor of man is actually kerensky!

• Locked thread