Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Napoleon I posted:

Using Mr. and Esq. at the same time is a serious faux pas.

I was under the impression that you're also not even supposed to refer to yourself as esquire, ever. It's only for referring to other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

10-8 posted:

Does the patent office have credit hours for these situations? If I work an 11-hour day, I get three credit hours that are essentially extra annual leave to be used whenever I want. It essentially protects us from ever having to work any unpaid overtime.

I'm pretty sure everyone gets credit hours. I got them as a summer intern.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

I was under the impression that you're also not even supposed to refer to yourself as esquire, ever. It's only for referring to other people.

That's my understanding, yeah. I recently got a mass email from a girl I graduated with who's starting up her firm and she put Esq. right there in her email name, you know, the one that shows up in your inbox next to the subject line, there must be a name for that but I call it the email name.

Anyway the point is she's weird. Are you supposed to capitalize it? She capitalized it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

10-8 posted:

Does the patent office have credit hours for these situations? If I work an 11-hour day, I get three credit hours that are essentially extra annual leave to be used whenever I want. It essentially protects us from ever having to work any unpaid overtime.

My workweek is based on an 80-hour biweek. Anything over that, I can claim as either overtime or comp time up to a total of 40 additional hours a biweek. Overtime gets me more money in my paycheck, obviously, whereas comp time means I don't have to work those hours a future biweek.

I actually work 12 hour days usually five days a week (at home, so some goofing off is understood), but this past week, I actually did some work on the weekend, and I was actually busy all week.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
My last semester, I took some classes on the Mexican legal system that were taught solely in Spanish, and the professor would refer to people as Abogado Martinez, literally, Attorney Martinez. He'd also use the word "licenciado", as in Licenciado Martinez.

I have several clients from Mexico who often refer to me in English as Attorney Cortina, and I have some very old American clients who append Esq. to my name.

Personally, I don't use anything because I think it can look pompous.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Cortina posted:

My last semester, I took some classes on the Mexican legal system that were taught solely in Spanish, and the professor would refer to people as Abogado Martinez, literally, Attorney Martinez. He'd also use the word "licenciado", as in Licenciado Martinez.

I have several clients from Mexico who often refer to me in English as Attorney Cortina, and I have some very old American clients who append Esq. to my name.

Most of my Mexican and Filipino clients will refer to me as attorney. I guess it is a cultural thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cortina posted:

The only time I ever get mail as esq. is when my school is asking me for money

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
I'm in the office for the third Sunday in a row. As the kids say, FML.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

poofactory posted:

Woo hoo, me too. I've worked 7 days a week for the last three months straight. And I'm an engineer.

People who say engineering jobs have better work/life balance than jobs in law firms have probably never been an engineer before.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
At a law school party last night a 2L gets upset over some relationship drama, locks herself in the bathroom with a steak knife, and says she's going to kill herself. Cops are called (about ten arrive; slow crime day, I guess), and she gets sent to a mental hospital.

Don't go no jobs die in a bathroom or mental hospital.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

billion dollar bitch posted:

At a law school party last night a 2L gets upset over some relationship drama, locks herself in the bathroom with a steak knife, and says she's going to kill herself. Cops are called (about ten arrive; slow crime day, I guess), and she gets sent to a mental hospital.

that's awesome because she probably assumed it would be consequence-free attention and now she's failing background checks

WHOOPSIE

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

wait WHAT the gently caress? please facebook message me

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

poofactory posted:

Me too. I'm too old for this nonsense. I might have to hire an associate. Good thing my small firm gets dozens of unsolicited resumes a week.

Axilla_cmat
Jun 27, 2004
Why yes a bowl of dicks sounds delicious!
I haven't logged into SA for a long time, possible since before law school, but I was driving today running errands and somehow remembered this thread that I may have read part of or posted in so I wanted to give an update, especially since last post was likely an e/n post about how much I hated law school.

I went to law school at University of Mississippi, just recently passed the bar exam in Tennessee and now work as a prosecutor in Memphis.

My first year of law school I absolutely hated my life, moving to Mississippi was a huge change from where I lived (I'm from one of the most liberal places in the country). I wanted to quit, withdraw, whatever, but I kept on with it. I finally found that I loved criminal law, got an internship with the DA's office in Memphis the summer after my second year in law school. I wasn't getting paid but I realized that was the job I wanted, and the only job I wanted. I was really fortunate to get the job right out of law school (once I passed the bar) and enjoy it even more than I thought I would.

I just wanted to post this to say if you're in law school, and you hate it, don't worry because things can work out well for you if you work hard. That's unfortunately not always the case but there's no reason to give up. And if you're not in law school, don't think that going to a T14 or even a Top 100 school is the only way to succeed.

e1: The job market is bad but its not as terrible or frightening as people make it seem. Maybe if all you want to do is bill 180+ hours a month and make 6 figures, you might find yourself disappointed, but there are jobs out there .

e2: Goddammit I STILL have this profile picture or avatar or whatever. I'm gonna have to do something about that.

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder

Axilla_cmat posted:

I haven't logged into SA for a long time, possible since before law school, but I was driving today running errands and somehow remembered this thread that I may have read part of or posted in so I wanted to give an update, especially since last post was likely an e/n post about how much I hated law school.

I went to law school at University of Mississippi, just recently passed the bar exam in Tennessee and now work as a prosecutor in Memphis.

My first year of law school I absolutely hated my life, moving to Mississippi was a huge change from where I lived (I'm from one of the most liberal places in the country). I wanted to quit, withdraw, whatever, but I kept on with it. I finally found that I loved criminal law, got an internship with the DA's office in Memphis the summer after my second year in law school. I wasn't getting paid but I realized that was the job I wanted, and the only job I wanted. I was really fortunate to get the job right out of law school (once I passed the bar) and enjoy it even more than I thought I would.

I just wanted to post this to say if you're in law school, and you hate it, don't worry because things can work out well for you if you work hard. That's unfortunately not always the case but there's no reason to give up. And if you're not in law school, don't think that going to a T14 or even a Top 100 school is the only way to succeed.

e1: The job market is bad but its not as terrible or frightening as people make it seem. Maybe if all you want to do is bill 180+ hours a month and make 6 figures, you might find yourself disappointed, but there are jobs out there .

:smith: I want to believe this but I'm just waiting for the dogpile of people who are going to tell you you're wrong. My legal research and writing professor has been telling me this too but no one at my school will admit that things are anything less than rosy.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Axilla_cmat posted:

e2: Goddammit I STILL have this profile picture or avatar or whatever. I'm gonna have to do something about that.

What year did you graduate from law school?

How did you get the DA job? Was it through your internship, did you know anyone, what were your grades?

How much did you pay for law school? Full ride?

Did you work before going into law school or did you come straight from undergrad?

I think your story can be useful for 0L's considering law school, but you need to put in more of the concrete details.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought myself a Dark Angel army today

because regular Space Marines weren't gay enough for me

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Axilla_cmat posted:

Cool bro what's your student loan balance and what's your salary?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I bought myself a Dark Angel army today

because regular Space Marines weren't gay enough for me

My graduation present was the Necron phalanx. In retrospect, it was a bit of a mistake starting out that big -- I actually quit midway through assembling them because the concept of painting them seemed so daunting (and when it comes to small detail, motor control stuff, I suck on toast). So there they sit.

Obligatory "no jobs" punchline:

In retrospect, it was still a better investment than the JD.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Necrons basically you paint silver and then dob green on the eyes you could do your entire army in like 45 minutes while you masturbate this is not a reasonable excuse.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
I mean i painted 3,500 points of Bretonnians one summer in high school including hand-painted individual heraldry on every knight and they looked wicked and I am also terrible at motor control this is just beyond the pale.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Napoleon I posted:

I mean i painted 3,500 points of Bretonnians one summer in high school including hand-painted individual heraldry on every knight and they looked wicked and I am also terrible at motor control this is just beyond the pale.

"Finally, finally an excuse to use this to look down on someone!"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
my dark angels army right now is just two terminator squads and belial because belial lets you play terminators as troops

Support Are Troops

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

my dark angels army right now is just two terminator squads and belial because belial lets you play terminators as troops

Support Are Troops

Deathwing are but a shade of their former glory atm... See I did it backwards, I have about 10-11k Dark Angels that I collected BEFORE I went to law school, worked throughout middle school/high school to afford it, but now no one in my class here plays :(

But good choice. Dark Angels are stoic and mysterious...much like those that dare to partake in the legal profession... I'm also glad you're already familiar with the inspiration for the name/primarch! Be sure to include discussion of repressed homosexuality into any 40k game you play.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

"Finally, finally an excuse to use this to look down on someone!"

:smug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Colorblind Pilot posted:

People who say engineering jobs have better work/life balance than jobs in law firms have probably never been an engineer before.
Or, you work for a poo poo company :smith:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I'm using my loads of free 3L time to build a suit of terminator armour with an unemployed legal assistant friend of mine. It's going to own. Still deciding whether to go with Deathwing or Grey Knights though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

A law school classmate of mine killed himself like two months into his first job.

And he was one of the lucky ones who got a biglaw job.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

A law school classmate of mine killed himself like two months into his first job.

Where should I send my resume?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

gvibes posted:

What he went to Lewis & Clark and ended up with a firm that reps XOM?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Roger_Mudd posted:

Where should I send my resume?
Jenner & Block

Plickmann
Nov 10, 2005
YES
Had to share this, folks.

I'm currently sitting in class and the professor just asked a girl what she wants to do when she gets out (We're still 1Ls), and she said "I was thinking International Public Interest" and he said "Whoa. So in other words, you want to make completely certain you won't have any kind of a job. You're going fishing in a lake with only 1 fish."

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I can't help but find it remarkable that our profession, which had a hallmark of arrogance for such a long time, is so far from that now. I commiserate. Someone in the legal field told me recently that everyone is hurting, as a kind of consolation.

In any event, generally speaking what are your options with a law degree or as an attorney these days?

1. Through luck, work, school, or contacts having a job as an attorney.
2. Working as a paralegal or in some way in the legal field (I've heard it happens, but can't say for certain anyone I know is working in this capacity).
3. Unemployed and vainly holding out hope for the law job.
4. Volunteering and looking for the law job.
5. Working in a non-legal job and looking.
6. Military/JAG/Peace Corps/etc.
7. Hanging out a shingle.
8. Relying on mom & dad/spouse/etc. and moving back in to cultivate WoW and alcohol addictions.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Kumo posted:

In any event, generally speaking what are your options with a law degree or as an attorney these days?

1. Through luck, work, school, or contacts having a job as an attorney.
2. Working as a paralegal or in some way in the legal field (I've heard it happens, but can't say for certain anyone I know is working in this capacity).
3. Unemployed and vainly holding out hope for the law job.
4. Volunteering and looking for the law job.
5. Working in a non-legal job and looking.
6. Military/JAG/Peace Corps/etc.
7. Hanging out a shingle.
8. Relying on mom & dad/spouse/etc. and moving back in to cultivate WoW and alcohol addictions.
1. To toot my own horn a bit, I am smart, have a computer background, and am pretty good at what I do, so I am able to hang on to a job. I also think I have some exceptional patent/technical analysis and writing skills (like, the head of the best appellate practice in the country kept on coming back to me to work on any sort of technical case). But even I am still uncertain as to my long term prospects (I'm a sixth year now). Computer-ey in-house opportunities in Chicago aren't all that great, and I don't think I have the business development chops to make partner at a biglaw firm like the one I'm at now. I could probably get a prep/pros job, but that just is not enjoyable to me. Also, if I ever have kids, I don't think I could handle biglaw hours, even as of counsel or whatever. I could do partner at a smaller firm, I guess, but even then, I am uncertain how I could develop a client base.
2. My brother worked a terrible job at a PI firm, got some good trial and lit experience, and then the firm imploded, and he hung a shingle. He managed to get about 10-12 hours a week of work from the company my dad worked at (and that my brother interned at), which is enough to keep food on the table and the lights on, so I guess he is doing well enough for a new solo. So he is having some success through connections. He is a pretty smart and hardworking kid as well.

Seeing the bills we get from vendors, I wonder how much money is in that (document services and document review services).

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 31, 2011

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Or, you work for a poo poo company :smith:

I only read this thread now out of habit. I graduated with a computer science degree and decided programming wasn't for me, and worked at a PR firm while I prepared for law school. I did well on the LSAT (170) and applied to law schools and then retracted everything because of this thread. I then very quickly found a job as an entry level software engineer at a start-up that has subsequently exploded. Whether this counts as 'real' engineering or not is a matter of debate but it has similarities.

It's been the best decision of my life, and I realized I actually do love programming, which is why I got a CS degree in the first place. The hours are amazing and I can work from home whenever I feel like it. It is also high paying and extremely interesting... I can't remember who said it, but a piece of advice I heard once was, "Find a job you like to do and you'll never work a day in your life". That's really the truth, I come home from work and feel really happy and fulfilled, not tired at all.

Moral of the story? Don't go to law school. I have several friends who took this route (partly why I was applying) and they are now jobless, Panera Bread, and still in school with no hope. I have two friends at North Eastern, 3L and 2L, and they are totally hosed, no hope what-so-ever.

If you can do anything else do that, and if you like computers try giving programming a shot, at least in Boston good engineers are in high demand.

Sid Meier Jr.
Aug 9, 2003

_areaman posted:

I can't remember who said it

I did, I came up with that saying.

But yeah engineering has relatively good work/life balance. Brain fry helps to keep the hour low.

"Why you leaving after only eight hours SMJ?"
"My brain's done."
"ah."

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

_areaman posted:

"Find a job you like to do and you'll never work a day in your life".

:( That's why I went to law school in the first place. Even after everything I still love the law.

I remembered this last Friday when I was at the Criminal Courthouse watching the State awkwardly try to present a case against a pro se defendant and lose; all the while ticking off objections in my head and still a bit surprised as to what actually passes for legal practice in the field.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

law sucks, draw cartoons everyday

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Fantastic, but are the cross-examination and re-cross correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Cross examination is ok for the analogy.

But re-cross should probably be re-direct.

And the pictures for the two should be swapped.