Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Default Settings posted:

Is Kölsch really as magical as they say?

Augustiner Edelstoff or :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Kopfwehbier no.1 for me

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
No poo poo, I drank a moderate amount of those last friday and had a really bad hangover given the amount I drank. We even ate some pizza in between and didn't do an all-nighter and still I felt like poo poo the next day.

vvv Manufactum much? vvv

Zwille fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 31, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
^^^ 9 km to Belgium ^^^

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

:can:

Ziir fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 31, 2011

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zwille posted:

Well [moin] is only really an universal greeting in northern Germany, so there's that. Everywhere else it is sort of considered an abbreviated "Guten Morgen", at least that's what I heard. Wikipedia, however, claims it's even only used in the morning in certain regions of northern Germany.

It's also used extensively in southern Denmark, to mean both hello and goodbye. I've never heard it's only used in the morning.

Then again, I didn't know it was a German greeting - I just thought it was another sign of South-Danish people being weird :v:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Zwille posted:

No poo poo, I drank a moderate amount of those last friday and had a really bad hangover given the amount I drank. We even ate some pizza in between and didn't do an all-nighter and still I felt like poo poo the next day.

That was pretty much my weekend too. I don't know what it is, but Augustiner (Edelstoff or the normal Helles) will always give me the worst hangover the next day. The only other beer I experience this with is a local one.

Oh and weizen. I love weizen, but trying to get drunk by drinking large amounts of weizen is also not a good idea. For me at least. I envy people who don't get a headache at all no matter what or how much they drink...

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Wrong. Augustiner Hell.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Ok, ok, serious answer is:
Budweiser Budvar

But I really like Edelstoff, too. And I never get headaches from drinking it.

Those look interesting/delicious. Are all of them beers from Belgium? And are all of them recommendable?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I'll have to check out Augustinerbräu then the next time I head out to Munich, thanks for the suggestion.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Dunkel > Hell

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Those look interesting/delicious. Are all of them beers from Belgium? And are all of them recommendable?

These are the only beers allowed to be called Trappist beer, and all but the right most is from Belgium. My favorite is Chimay Blue. Good luck finding any non-German beer in Germany though.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Ziir posted:

Good luck finding any non-German beer in Germany though.

I can get Lech, Budvar, Tyskie (or however you spell that) Heineken, Guiness,Kilkenny and a couple of other major beers in the next supermarket without any problems, if I want some more exotic stuff I'll go to one of several designated beer stores ... I have no idea what you're talking about.

vvvv :eng101: The term "Bier" is actually defined through tax laws (BierStG.) and a specific Beer Law (BierV), while the later has parts of the Reinheitsgebot in it, it was expanded to account for different kinds of beers. Beers that are not brewed in germany and can not be considered beers under german law are mostly allowed to be called beer in germany if they are defined as beer in the country they originate from. So if a recipe is changed for the german market they do it in order to satisfy the german taste in beer or because they use stuff that's not allowed under german food law.

hankor fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 31, 2011

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Well, since the term "Bier" is protected by the Reinheitsgebot, some beers you get in Germany are not exactly like their respective originals. Carlsberg and Tuborg come to mind, especially.
But yeah, Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Faxe, etc. are not hard to get at all.

china
Aug 2, 2008
was ist los hund!

hey guys, i have just signed a contract for an engineering internship for 6 months over in Germany, starting the 1st April! The company is in Manching but i have been told that i should be looking for apartments in Ingolstadt. Is anyone from around that area?

I just read this whole thread and found it interesting, cant wait to travel around. My german is non existent so ill be self learning from now on haha, (the job is all english based ofcourse)

I'm coming over from Melbourne, my uni organised the internship pretty much.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hankor posted:

I can get Lech, Budvar, Tyskie (or however you spell that) Heineken, Guiness,Kilkenny and a couple of other major beers in the next supermarket without any problems, if I want some more exotic stuff I'll go to one of several designated beer stores ... I have no idea what you're talking about.

Alright, I'll give you those. Guinness, Kilkenny (heh, they killed Kenny), Czech Budweiser, etc are pretty easy to find in either Rewe or Turkish Kiosks (for the former) but that's pretty much where it ends. Maybe it's cause I don't live in a huge city, but I'm pretty much limited to the following beers here: Kölsch, Alt, Pils, Weizen, and that girly Mix stuff that can't be legally call Bier vvvvv

hankor posted:

Reinheitsgebot

I've been to every single alcohol specialty store here to look for Belgian beer, including a ton of random kiosks, discounters (Netto/Aldi), and higher end markets (Rewe, Galeria Kaufhof, Kaufland). When I ask the liquor stores "Warum haben Sie kein Belgisches Bier?" the response is always "Weil es belgische ist! v:smug:v" and I get the distinct feeling that I just personally insulted them asking for anything non-German "because it has fruits and other stuff in it" or whatever my German friends give me for excuses. Otherwise I wouldn't take the drat 30 minute bus ride across the border just to buy a few bottles of Chimay.

I just like really dark, high percentage (9%+) beer okay??? :(

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah that's not really much of a bus ride though, I take just as long getting to Manufactum here. Haven't tried any of their beers though, what's Belgian beer like? How's it compare to, say, Guinness or other dark beers?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm not sure what happened to them, but there used to be Delhaize supermarkets in bigger cities in Germany, which carried a variety of international beer. Unfortunately they all closed in Cologne last year, but they might still exist elsewhere.

I really like Stella Artois, which contrary to Germany, is quite the hipsters' beer in the States I think :haw:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I'm wondering where one could pick up PBR in Germany. I've been meaning to try it and see how it compares to Sternburger, which, based on the people that drink it, seems to be about equivalent.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Zwille posted:

Yeah that's not really much of a bus ride though, I take just as long getting to Manufactum here. Haven't tried any of their beers though, what's Belgian beer like? How's it compare to, say, Guinness or other dark beers?

Belgian beer is often pretty sweet in taste, because of the high alcohol amount. There is also quite a fruity but strong smell. Drinking too much will make your stomach go on a moonbounce-party like never before though. Guinness is, in my opinion, more akin to eating bread in liquid form.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I'm a big fan of Kostritzer Bier. Mmmm, dunkel. Baltica #6 is good too (even if it's Russian).

To take a break from the beer discussion, what do you Germans think about Hipster Hitler?

I suppose it makes more fun of hipsters and doesn't have a whole lot to do with Nazis, but I usually laugh a good bit when I read the comics.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Everything Hitler is p funny. Hope that helps.

See:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380044

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Well I like it because it makes fun of hipsters but I hate it because the jokes often are somewhat lame & the art is pretty boring.

The t-shirts totally rule most of the time though - the only thing keeping me from buying one is the fact that I can't decide on a favorite.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Gold and a Pager posted:

To take a break from the beer discussion, what do you Germans think about Hipster Hitler?

I suppose it makes more fun of hipsters and doesn't have a whole lot to do with Nazis, but I usually laugh a good bit when I read the comics.

While the Third Reich is still a touchy subject, Hitler himself has become a staple of german comedy, Hipster Hitler doesn't really do anything for me though, the hipsters in germany aren't really that widespread or annoying.

Obligatory Obersalzberg link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4CPewSqT4

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Most American Third Reich-related humor seems to be built on the premise that Hitler is somehow inherently funny, which is not only lazy but also slightly offensive ("Reich us"? Ugh).

I really like this one: http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-4655323211378605528

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Zwille posted:

Well I don't really like Guinness. If I'm at a Irish pub with friends I'll take one if someone orders a round, but otherwise I'd prefer a Snake Bite. All of the Trappist beers in that picture have their own distinct flavor so I'm not sure how to describe it. Here's some reviews of my favorite one: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/215/2512, you can see everybody is disagreeing with each other on what they taste. When I let my friends (Germans and non) here try it they all really liked the flavor and were extremely surprised when they read the bottle and saw 9% ABV because it sure as hell doesn't taste like it.

Do yourself a favor and don't chill it, Trappist beer should be served room temperature ideally in a goblet.

FLX posted:

I really like Stella Artois, which contrary to Germany, is quite the hipsters' beer in the States I think :haw:

I drank a lot of Stella in the states at the bars, not sure why because I don't think it's particularly anything special to write home about. I'm also not a hipster.

Zwille posted:

I'm wondering where one could pick up PBR in Germany. I've been meaning to try it and see how it compares to Sternburger, which, based on the people that drink it, seems to be about equivalent.

It's a long shot but try Galeria Kaufhof's USA section. The one here has a stock of Natty Light on the bottom shelf that is completely dusted over. I ran across a website for an "English Shop" in Cologne the other day, maybe try Googling for that too. They had a "beer for the Superbowl" special.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 1, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Speaking of hipsters, tell me about record-shopping in Berlin.

And totally unrelated, is it easy/cheap to get from Frankfurt to Wiesbaden and back in one day?

kassler
Sep 3, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

And totally unrelated, is it easy/cheap to get from Frankfurt to Wiesbaden and back in one day?

Yup, it's about 45 minutes on the S-Bahn and 7€ one way.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Ziir posted:

I drank a lot of Stella in the states at the bars, not sure why because I don't think it's particularly anything special to write home about. I'm also not a hipster.

It's a long shot but try Galeria Kaufhof's USA section. The one here has a stock of Natty Light on the bottom shelf that is completely dusted over. I ran across a website for an "English Shop" in Cologne the other day, maybe try Googling for that too. They had a "beer for the Superbowl" special.

I think Stella ist the Belgian Kölsch ... and I do like Kölsch.

The English Shop is a great idea concerning foreign beer (and salt & vinegar chips). This is their website: http://www.english-shop.de/ It doesn't list PBR though, but the people there are really friendly, so you could maybe just ask them if they could get some for you. They once offered to order me a DVD box set of Arrested Development, but I convinced them to sell me their rental copy :D

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 2, 2011

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Ziir posted:

It's a long shot but try Galeria Kaufhof's USA section. The one here has a stock of Natty Light on the bottom shelf that is completely dusted over.

Ahaha, who the hell in Germany would even on a whim want to try natty? I am absolutely positive even the cheapest made-in-Germany beer has to taste leaps and bounds above natty.

edit: fffffffffffff 39.99EUR for a case of coors lite on that english shop website. god drat america.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

He said that cos I said I kinda wanna try PBR sometimes for the (hipster) hell of it. I dunno about Nattys. At the Karstadt Hermannplatz they sold a wide variety of beers, but no American beers besides the usual Miller - and "German Beer". Yup. Those exact words, in English. Wish I'd taken a picture. I wonder if it's re-imported actual German beer or something else entirely.

vvv The very same. Thanks for the info. vvv

Zwille fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 3, 2011

bavarian
Jun 30, 2007

Zwille posted:

At the Karstadt Hermannplatz they sold a wide variety of beers, but no American beers besides the usual Miller - and "German Beer". Yup. Those exact words, in English. Wish I'd taken a picture. I wonder if it's re-imported actual German beer or something else entirely.
You likely saw this one: http://www.eibauer.de/produkte/index.php?id=29

In GDR-times, breweries in Leipzig used this designation for their exports, sold for example during two annual Leipzig trade fairs or in international trains between the GDR and (then) popular holiday destinations Hungary and Bulgaria (though one would have rather expected the beer to be called "Немецкое пиво" then). Apparently, the beer also became quite popular domestically.

After the reunification, this "German Beer" was no longer produced, but a small brewery in the Oberlausitz resumed using the name for one of their products last year.

I think it tastes fairly bland, though.

china posted:

hey guys, i have just signed a contract for an engineering internship for 6 months over in Germany, starting the 1st April! The company is in Manching but i have been told that i should be looking for apartments in Ingolstadt. Is anyone from around that area?
Manching (EADS?) is a small village right next to Ingolstadt, so that's not necessarily going to be a long commute. Speaking from the Munich vantage point, Ingolstadt is a quite sleepy, rather boring town. Munich, Nuremberg and Regensburg are only 45 to 90 minute train rides away, though.

bavarian fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 3, 2011

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

bavarian posted:

Manching (EADS?) is a small village right next to Ingolstadt, so that's not necessarily going to be a long commute. Speaking from the Munich vantage point, Ingolstadt is a quite sleepy, rather boring town. Munich, Nuremberg and Regensburg are only 45 to 90 minute train rides away, though.

But it'd have to be a hell of a well-paid internship to afford living in Munich, but yes, quite possibly worth it when you're other option is small town Bavaria.

bavarian
Jun 30, 2007

Gold and a Pager posted:

But it'd have to be a hell of a well-paid internship to afford living in Munich
All too true. For that reason I'd probably chose the Ingolstadt-apartment as well, going elsewhere on the weekends.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Found some PBR: http://www.importladen.de/-c-22_45.html

Approximately 2 Euros a can though :/

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is the Lernbachhaus in Munich really closed till 2012?

Any suggestions for Stuttgart? I can only spend so much time at the Mercedes museum.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Any suggestions for Stuttgart? I can only spend so much time at the Mercedes museum.

Yes. It's being renovated. Everything is a mess right now from the looks of it.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

The city center has some interesting buildings, the Alte Schloss and the Neue Schloss with the Schlossplatz nearby, the Fruchtkasten (the oldest house there is) with the Schillerplatz (Schiller was one of the greates german poets, along with Goethe) and the Stiftskirche. There also is the Bohnenviertel, the only place in Stuttgart's center where the housings are older than the 1950s, the Markthalle which is the market in a nice Art-Nouveau building, and the Hegelhaus, the birthplace of G.W.F. Hegel (one of the greates german philosophers). Oh, and there is the Wilhelma, a very popular Zoo and botanical garden.

More contemporary are the Kunstmuseum (really interesting piece of architecture), the Fernsehturm (the first TV tower in the world, which was the inspiration for Seattle's space needle), the Carl-Zeiss-Planetarium, and the Porsche-Museum, though this one is further away.

If you go to the tourist office (near the train station if I remember correctly) they hand out city plans with tourist circuits, they should come in handy.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 8, 2011

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Maybe Porsche has a museum too!

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hungry Gerbil posted:

this and Aventinus

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

flavor posted:

A myth that never dies out but was debunked again was that of how everything is so organized over there compared to the U.S.

Yeah I found Germany to be pretty laid back, and quite a bit less rule-bound than the US. Compared with Italy it was the model of efficiency but it's way less regimented than the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It's less about rules and more about order and proper behaviour. Germans love order.