Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know, it occurs to me that Jedi Knight had a very strong Indiana Jones feel. The protagonist is a stubbly, rough-around-the-edges badass who uses a unique signature weapon. He's chasing a weird evil guy who is trying to discover a mystical artifact of immense power. Along the way he visits numerous exotic locations and fights Nazis Space Nazis as he tracks the main bad guy and the artifact. He fights the bad guy's beautiful but deadly female assistant. He crashes an airplane a spaceship. Eventually they end up in an arid desert canyon and have their big showdown. All of this is set to a score by John Williams. I mean, if you told me to imagine "Indiana Jones in a sci-fi setting" it would end up pretty drat close to Jedi Knight.

Maybe it was just the pixelation, but Jedi Knight seemed closer to that grungy, worn aesthetic that made the OT so interesting, rather than the excessively clean, smooth environments from Jedi Outcast and later games. I wish it ran on Vista. :(

You know Jedi Knight is on steam and totally works on vista, right? Dark Forces as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well poo poo. It costs less than a sandwich, too. That was easy. :toot:

edit: oh man, it's even better than I remembered. So refreshingly Star Wars-y after all the prequel poo poo we've gotten in the last decade.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 31, 2011

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nckdictator posted:

Hey a excuse to post the website of the crazy guy who wrote the old Lando novels

http://www.lneilsmith.org/

This is really belated and from like sixty pages ago, but I wrote to the guy and asked him if he agreed that it was a bad thing that the one-world government had destroyed both a species and a business by running the smallpox virus out of the wild.

He agreed.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well poo poo. It costs less than a sandwich, too. That was easy. :toot:

edit: oh man, it's even better than I remembered. So refreshingly Star Wars-y after all the prequel poo poo we've gotten in the last decade.

The only thing that sucks is that it's (Jedi Knight) missing a lot of in-game music. I guess it's designed to be streamed off the CD (Red Book audio).

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Nessus posted:

This is really belated and from like sixty pages ago, but I wrote to the guy and asked him if he agreed that it was a bad thing that the one-world government had destroyed both a species and a business by running the smallpox virus out of the wild.

He agreed.
I've been wanting to claim the write-up for the Lando novels in the Book Barn thread just for this reason. Dude is creepy scary with the Libertarian crap.

Lando attempts to poison the food supply of a colony because they have the audacity to place import tariffs on useless or deadly goods.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How come pulling a Star Destroyer out of orbit is harder than pulling an X-wing out of a swamp? I mean besides the distraction of getting shot at and whatnot. Yoda clearly states that "size matters not", so in theory it should be the same? Or was Yoda just being a lying rear end in a top hat like everyone else who uses that line?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

BonHair posted:

How come pulling a Star Destroyer out of orbit is harder than pulling an X-wing out of a swamp? I mean besides the distraction of getting shot at and whatnot. Yoda clearly states that "size matters not", so in theory it should be the same? Or was Yoda just being a lying rear end in a top hat like everyone else who uses that line?

Yoda was a senile old pants-shitter that rambled on while suffering from a raging fever infection he contracted in the swamp.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

I've been wanting to claim the write-up for the Lando novels in the Book Barn thread just for this reason. Dude is creepy scary with the Libertarian crap.

Lando attempts to poison the food supply of a colony because they have the audacity to place import tariffs on useless or deadly goods.
I don't remember that part. L Neil Smith is beyond libertarian, he thinks George Washington should have been executed for putting down the Whiskey Rebellion.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't remember that part.

Lando tries to trade his cargo on the planet, but is told that it's basically worthless - he's trying to trade the equivalent of the planet's only export (leather), fishing rods (the planet has no bodies of water), and gelatin that (due to a biological difference) causes the colonists to diarrhea-poo poo themselves to near death. When he's told that there's a huge tariff on what are respectively useless items and poison, he gets pissed off. His solution is to sell the poison gelatin as fertilizer, ensuring it gets into the planet's food chain.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Was that the only really bad thing, I seem to recall the rest of the trilogy being good?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

Lando tries to trade his cargo on the planet, but is told that it's basically worthless - he's trying to trade the equivalent of the planet's only export (leather), fishing rods (the planet has no bodies of water), and gelatin that (due to a biological difference) causes the colonists to diarrhea-poo poo themselves to near death. When he's told that there's a huge tariff on what are respectively useless items and poison, he gets pissed off. His solution is to sell the poison gelatin as fertilizer, ensuring it gets into the planet's food chain.
Is he explicit about this? I mean to use an analogy, I sure wouldn't eat cow poo poo, but I might put it on my carrot patch.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Casimir Radon posted:

Was that the only really bad thing, I seem to recall the rest of the trilogy being good?
It's not completely terrible, but it does go off about how governments are terrible and should be abolished every once in a while. And that gun control and concealed carry restrictions are fascism.

...also there's a drug based on lizard poo poo.

...and a horrifically obese man in a pink speedo who has a garden full of people loving.

...and psychic Space-Manta Rays the size of Star Destroyers.

...and Space Wizards. And not like Jedi Space Wizards, actual Space Wizards.

Okay I lied, it's actually pretty terrible.

Nessus posted:

Is he explicit about this? I mean to use an analogy, I sure wouldn't eat cow poo poo, but I might put it on my carrot patch.
The gelatin is literally indigestible to the colonists due to their genetics. At best, Lando is gambling that the dangerous content won't leech into the plants or the animals that eat it. He doesn't cackle and rub his fingers together thinking about children making GBS threads themselves to death, but L.Neil Smith ain't exactly giving a good case for abolishing the FDA (The FDA is Hitler).

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 31, 2011

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Clearly you just hate freedom, forums user Slantedfloors. You were probably for coercion to remove smallpox from the natural ecosphere too!!!

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Everyone has the right to poo poo themselves to death and I'll do everything I can to make sure they get the chance to do just that.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Oh, I forgot. Lando guns down a guy in a crowded spaceport(he's attacked, but he responds to a club by shooting the guy and setting him on fire instead of, you know, calling for help) with an illegal firearm, and is then shocked that he could actually be tried for murder.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I have a geeky Star Wars question!
What exactly is the appeal of this: http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_sku=SWFRAMES&rid=SWHPFPROD

(For those too lazy to click, they're picture books of the six movies sitting in a wooden box for a grand total of $3000.00. No, that was not a typo.)

More about it here: http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/frames_starwarsshop/index.html

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What exactly is the appeal of this: http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_sku=SWFRAMES&rid=SWHPFPROD

(For those too lazy to click, they're picture books of the six movies sitting in a wooden box for a grand total of $3000.00. No, that was not a typo.)

I'm assuming the appeal comes from being able to show off just how goddamn rich you are to be able to spend 3000 bones on some pictures.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Those things make every unnecessary purchase I've ever made look reasonable.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

More about it here: http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/frames_starwarsshop/index.html

This is just beyond me. Aren't they just books with shots from the movies? What about them is supposedly worth $3000?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Admiral Goodenough posted:

This is just beyond me. Aren't they just books with shots from the movies? What about them is supposedly worth $3000?
You could say conspicuous consumption, you could say a target market of single men with professional salaries...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

The box?

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Slantedfloors posted:

Oh, I forgot. Lando guns down a guy in a crowded spaceport(he's attacked, but he responds to a club by shooting the guy and setting him on fire instead of, you know, calling for help) with an illegal firearm, and is then shocked that he could actually be tried for murder.

I want to write a whole series of sci-fi books where a libertarian hero encounters interesting alien cultures and is then shocked by their reasonable laws allowing for a fire department/providing a public transit system/banning murdering kids that used your backyard as a short cut.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I want to write a whole series of sci-fi books where a libertarian hero encounters interesting alien cultures and is then shocked by their reasonable laws allowing for a fire department/providing a public transit system/banning murdering kids that used your backyard as a short cut.
Can he be called Cato Rand?

"Cato Rand and the Perilous Border: Cato Rand discovers a fiendish plot a thousand years in the making - the Marxlosocialik Commieperium have somehow put Cato's gold under their planet's crust!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cato Rand and the Indoctrodromes: Cato Rand is stranded on Strawmanicus VI - home of the Indoctrodromes, a dread people who deny their children the value of wage-earning in favor of a system of Brain Control Centers -- funded by tax space-dollars!

e: maintaining realism

Nessus fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 31, 2011

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Is there any word on a follow-up to Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy? I thought they were a great series of games, and they got good reviews.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

LIMITED EDITION!!

I know some people who enjoy that sort of picture books, mostly in the 40+ year old segment, but none of them would pay this much. But I guess there are 1138 big enough geeks out there, or at least some, with the rest buying it in hopes that it will increase in value..

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boi Hole posted:

Is there any word on a follow-up to Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy? I thought they were a great series of games, and they got good reviews.

LucasArts just had a huge management shake up and Lucas hates the original trilogy stuff so it will be released the same time as Duke Nukem Forever.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

GodlessCommie posted:

LucasArts just had a huge management shake up and Lucas hates the original trilogy stuff so it will be released the same time as Duke Nukem Forever.

May 3rd, 2011? That seems rather soon.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Locutus Of Bored posted:

May 3rd, 2011? That seems rather soon.

Heh, yeah, guess he didn't get the memo (or is refusing to believe it). Can't really blame him for that though.

I just bought a fuckton of hard drives from Amazon. Since I already spent over a grand, I also tossed in the Rogue Squadron Omnibus's and the Thrawn trilogy. I've only ever owned one Star Wars book (Rogue Squadron, and that copy got lost :smith:) that my parents bought me as a kid; I inter-library loan'd like a motherfucker to read all of the others. Pretty pumped to have my own copies :3:

I lost my eBay auction for a set of the X-Wing books though, so I'm going to have try again. It's like $25 on eBay for all 9; shipping for 9 books via Amazon easily hits like $40 (3.99/item).

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Midichlorians:

Does any of the book stuff go into more depth on what these are?

Could someone theoretically inject themselves with midichlorians and boost force potential? Or are they just an indicator of force potential, i.e. attracted to life forms with the force?

Can one lose midichlorian count, and if so does this decrease force power?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LLJKSiLk posted:

Midichlorians:

Does any of the book stuff go into more depth on what these are?

Could someone theoretically inject themselves with midichlorians and boost force potential? Or are they just an indicator of force potential, i.e. attracted to life forms with the force?

Can one lose midichlorian count, and if so does this decrease force power?

I believe (and this could be completely wrong) that it was retconned that midichlorians don't actually grant you access, but they are attracted to and stick on to people who have high Force potential (like you said). So if you are strong in the Force, more midichlorians will be in your blood stream just because they like it there, not because they actually make you stronger. So testing how many you have in your blood stream can be a good way to measure someone's strength, but they're not actually the cause. Kind of in a "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" way.

That may be total bullshit, though, because I can't remember where I heard that. Also, even if it's true, it's still incredibly stupid. But not quite as bad.

No idea on the decreasing power if you lose, say, a limb, though. If it's true, Vader should be pretty drat weak by the end of ROTS. He was just a torso and a head at that point.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 31, 2011

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

thrawn527 posted:

No idea on the decreasing power if you lose, say, a limb, though. If it's true, Vader should be pretty drat weak by the end of ROTS. He was just a torso and a head at that point.

Can't remember the source, but Vader was supposed to have ultimately been twice as strong as the Emperor, but without his limbs he only ended up being 80% as strong.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

Can't remember the source, but Vader was supposed to have ultimately been twice as strong as the Emperor, but without his limbs he only ended up being 80% as strong.

He was only about 10% as strong as Starkiller :smug:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BonHair posted:

Because Force Unleashed is stupid drivel.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Says they're signed personally by George Lucas. I guess that's something?

GodlessCommie posted:

Lucas has next to no input at Lucasarts because frankly he couldn't give less of a poo poo about stuff he didn't personally work on. He just enjoys getting a check. The lack of OT stuff is just that all the kids these days love the prequels cause they're new so they make games catering to this.

Yeah, Yeah I know "Red Letter Media showed that they're boring to kids too!" but kids seem to love the prequels for the action bits and kinda ignore the boring stuff.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I believe (and this could be completely wrong) that it was retconned that midichlorians don't actually grant you access, but they are attracted to and stick on to people who have high Force potential (like you said). So if you are strong in the Force, more midichlorians will be in your blood stream just because they like it there, not because they actually make you stronger. So testing how many you have in your blood stream can be a good way to measure someone's strength, but they're not actually the cause. Kind of in a "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" way.

That may be total bullshit, though, because I can't remember where I heard that. Also, even if it's true, it's still incredibly stupid. But not quite as bad.

Midichlorians are retarded in general but if we must tolerate their existence, I like this explanation a lot more than "THEY CAUSE IT".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Day Job Orchestra did a Star Wars Thing! I like Day Job Orchestra, and I like Star Wars, sooo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7X6Orlc73g

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

That's ridiculous, and I refuse to accept as canon that because you lose an arm you're weaker in the Force. So I'm not going to count it. (P-canon is the way to go.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think the logic is that because he's less organic matter the Force has less for him to be a conduit for or something lame like that since The Force can't be channeled by machines.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think the logic is that because he's less organic matter the Force has less for him to be a conduit for or something lame like that since The Force can't be channeled by machines.

Judge Yoda by his size, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RagnarokAngel posted:

Which makes no sense since even inorganic objects 'have' the force in them.