Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Dolash posted:

Didn't they change their name back to Sea Foxes at some point in 3100, when the original sea fox species bounced back? I looked them up on that wiki, looks like the sea foxes got better.

Yup! The Diamond Sharks preserved several sea fox specimens in captivity, and through a long, slow, and troubled breeding program, reintroduced them to the seas of Strana Mechty in 3100, which is when they changed their name back. I think the Snow Ravens got pissy about THAT, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Man, you guys saying machine guns were worthless in Mechwarrior games clearly never tried them in Mechwarrior 3. I once loaded twelve to sixteen of them (don't remember the exact number) into a Vulture. Because of how light they were, I was also able to give it a maximum-sized engine (allowing me to run about 120 kph), max armor, an AMS, a targeting computer, and one of those things that disrupts missile locks.

The thing was a buzzsaw. And since it was a Vulture chassis, everyone's natural inclination was to close with it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm waiting for him to describe the PPC fire. Just say "man-made lightning" as many times as possible.

And if someone's on the comm at the time they're firing it, include something about a crackle of static.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I imagine everyone's coms would static a little...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Slaapaav posted:

Brush Off PLEASE REMOVE ALL REFERENCES TO THESE(Laser) #2 (Wolf) with Left Arm; needs 9, rolls 8 : misses.
Thunder Hawk TDK-7X (Bot1) punches itself in the HD

Totally not just an empty quote.

In fact, you, and the guy who quoted you, would probably best be served deleting the text in your posts entirely.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 31, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I saw what that actually was, and I am now dying of laughter. Good show, sir, but.... yeah, edit that poo poo, dude.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Agent Interrobang posted:

What I'm basically driving at here is that the Diamond Sharks are Clan U Mad.

Oh my loving god. :swoon:

... drat, now there's a serious contender to the Falcons for Favorite Clan in my head.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
so....what was the point for Snow Raven? Why did they want to humiliate Sea Fox? Why did they insist on fighting against a name change? What are they, the clan of incompetent trolls?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a Clan honor thing. Sea Fox did something to piss the Snow Ravens off, the Snow Ravens overreacted and popped a serious black-quadrant mad-on for the Sea Foxes. Everything else is pretty much the Clans just creating reasons to shoot at each other that aren't "I'm from the Draconis Combine, you're from the Federated Suns, let us fight!"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Clan honor thing. Sea Fox did something to piss the Snow Ravens off, the Snow Ravens overreacted and popped a serious black-quadrant mad-on for the Sea Foxes. Everything else is pretty much the Clans just creating reasons to shoot at each other that aren't "I'm from the Draconis Combine, you're from the Federated Suns, let us fight!"

Can Clan Diamond Shark be an option for next game? Please?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair to the Snow Ravens, they kind of draw the poo poo end of the stick every time there's a drawing. They've been beaten up, had their storehouse of genetic material nuked, thrown off their own world, and eventually chased out of the clans altogether. They're kind of... prickly. Still, the reaction to that Diamond Shark caper was awesome. Sea Fox/Diamond Shark is a pretty cool clan, I still just like the Ghost Bears and Nova Cats better. :3:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Can Clan Diamond Shark be an option for next game? Please?

I think it's more likely that they'll be our antagonists for the next game.

And then PoptartsNinja will troll us all so hard our eyes bleed.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, it might even happen this game. See, Clan Sea Fox(I'm guessing the Diamond Shark incident didn't happen this timeline) is one of the Reserve Clans, on standby for when the Steel Vipers gently caress upif one of the other Clans gets their poo poo wrecked in the initial invasion.

It is entirely likely we will face the Sea Foxes in battle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I'm guessing the Diamond Shark incident didn't happen this timeline.

It did. I have fluff on it. It just had an entirely different outcome.

Fun Fact: I was originally going to use Clan Snow Raven in place of the Goliath Scorpions to counter the Rasalhague's heavy fighter use. But since Rasalhague is pretty much just normal DC space, they don't even have that going for them.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Clan honor thing. Sea Fox did something to piss the Snow Ravens off, the Snow Ravens overreacted and popped a serious black-quadrant mad-on for the Sea Foxes.

For reference, the something was actually quiet minor - the Sea Foxes successfully defended a Snow Raven bid for some oil fields and insulted the Ravens a few times for good measure. A pretty minor incident.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It did. I have fluff on it. It just had an entirely different outcome.

Fun Fact: I was originally going to use Clan Snow Raven in place of the Goliath Scorpions to counter the Rasalhague's heavy fighter use. But since Rasalhague is pretty much just normal DC space, they don't even have that going for them.

Ooooh. I'd be curious to see the new fluff. If it's likely to be spoilers, though, I can wait: the Sea Foxes/Diamond Sharks are one of my favorite clans.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You don't really need a reason for fighting with the Clans. Nicholas Kerensky set up such a bad political system that everyone is constantly at each others throats, to the point that their entire society revolves around competition. Long-term cooperation is anathema to the clans. People talk about how great Clan society is for managing fighting as bloodlessly as possible, but ignore the possibility of setting up a society that doesn't fight itself constantly.

The in-universe excuse is that resources were scarce and Nicholas wanted to set up a society where things wouldn't collapse into warfare. Nicholas was a self-aggrandizing dick though. The real-world reason is of course that this is source material for a giant robot fighting game. Peaceful cooperation does not require giant robots with laser guns.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

People talk about how great Clan society is for managing fighting as bloodlessly as possible, but ignore the possibility of setting up a society that doesn't fight itself constantly.

... Are you familiar at all with the human race?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How many times have you personally been in deadly combat? Before civilization the answer would probably be at least once. Now a vanishingly small percentage of people would answer more than zero. The incidence of organized violence has been declining steadily since the agricultural revolution. By any statistical measurement modern civilization is more peaceful and bloodless than any previous state of human existence.

Cynics like to talk up the evils of civilization, but when you look beneath the "noble savage" myth you find people who spent an awful lot of time in low-level warfare. That doesn't happen any more. How many wars have been fought on the North American continent since 1776? Four? Five? There were many, many more before then.

Anyway, the point is that it's entirely possible to set up a society that doesn't fight itself constantly. It might not be possible to set up a society that eschews armed conflict entirely, but that's not the point. The Clans fight every year, every season. They barely have any of the inter-state mechanisms that we would use to peacefully resolve conflicts. Modern states, on the other hand, fight a spasmodic, draining, violent war on the average of somewhere around once a century, and even then a small percentage of their total populations actually engages in combat.

The SLDF Exodus was a mission of peace, but Nicholas Kerensky perverted it into the Clans and their institutions designed to perpetuate war forever.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 31, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

How many times have you personally been in deadly combat? Before civilization the answer would probably be at least once. Now a vanishingly small percentage of people would answer more than zero. The incidence of organized violence has been declining steadily since the agricultural revolution. By any statistical measurement modern civilization is more peaceful and bloodless than any previous state of human existence.

Cynics like to talk up the evils of civilization, but when you look beneath the "noble savage" myth you find people who spent an awful lot of time in low-level warfare. That doesn't happen any more. How many wars have been fought on the North American continent since 1776? Four? Five? There were many, many more before then.

Anyway, the point is that it's entirely possible to set up a society that doesn't fight itself constantly. It might not be possible to set up a society that eschews armed conflict entirely, but that's not the point. The Clans fight every year, every season. They barely have any of the inter-state mechanisms that we would use to peacefully resolve conflicts. Modern states, on the other hand, fight a spasmodic, draining, violent war on the average of somewhere around once a century, and even then a small percentage of their total populations actually engages in combat.

The SLDF Exodus was a mission of peace, but Nicholas Kerensky perverted it into the Clans and their institutions designed to perpetuate war forever.

Or you could remember that BattleTech is all about giant robots blowing each other to bits and get on with the game.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Sorry to drag the machine gun ammo explosion issue up again, but would it really negatively impact the game that much to house-rule (y'know, with everyone playing's consent) in that MG ammo doesn't explode? It gets hit, becomes useless, finito. I've been gnawing on the idea of hooking my friends into playing battletech so that little change might be something to propose.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Or you could remember that BattleTech is all about giant robots blowing each other to bits and get on with the game.

I mentioned that. :colbert:

The terrible truth is just that I have a degree in political science and can't shut up about this kind of thing.

edit: curse you!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyway, the point is that it's entirely possible to set up a society that doesn't fight itself constantly.

Sure, as long as it doesn't involve people.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

El Spamo posted:

Sorry to drag the machine gun ammo explosion issue up again, but would it really negatively impact the game that much to house-rule (y'know, with everyone playing's consent) in that MG ammo doesn't explode? It gets hit, becomes useless, finito. I've been gnawing on the idea of hooking my friends into playing battletech so that little change might be something to propose.

I'm kinda torn.

On one hand, its pretty reasonable and would move a lot of designs out of the "deathtrap" category.

But on the other hand, having a mech explode from a TAC on its machinegun ammo is a battletech rite of passage.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

How many wars have been fought on the North American continent since 1776? Four? Five? There were many, many more before then.

There was that whole century+ of constant low-level warfare with the Native Americans after 1775 that ended in, you know, genocides. And since the start of the 20th century there's not been a waking moment without some armed force from North America deployed somewhere around the world.

What I'm saying is you haven't thought this through very well.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Y'all are kind of silly.

Anyway.

I am pro-MG ammo blowing up, because it is as likely to save our asses as our opponents' asses, and it is always good for hilarity.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Guass Rifle ammo used to explode when it first came out. It made things interesting....

Longinus00 posted:

Could you post a summary of the story in Inception and Revenge? I played revenge when I was younger but it was way to confusing/hard for 10 year old me.

Now I wish Origin made a BT game. They had this exact mechanic in the later wing commander games since lots of the weapon projectiles had different velocities.
Sarna has a pretty good rundown of the whole thing, up to the Jihad: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crescent_Hawks

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

[edit]As an aside, this is why when I'm making a custom MG-abuse mech, I put the ammo in the Head slot.

The way I figure it, if I'm taking a critical to the Head, I'm already hosed.
My Wasp and Stinger customs do this. I refer to it as the "advanced ejector seat".

Clan Diamond Shark: Deals So Good, They're Practically Isorla
I lost my poo poo at this. Well played.

Polaron posted:

The thing was a buzzsaw. And since it was a Vulture chassis, everyone's natural inclination was to close with it.
They were all idiots either way....

I also love MG ammo explosions.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
MG explosions are a part of life. Your armor looking a bit thin? Dump the ammo or take the risk.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Incidentally, there is a Piranha variant with all the machine guns stripped out and replaced with ER Micro Lasers at 1 heat / 3 damage apiece. It has to be seen to be believed. It is lethal beyond anything you can imagine in an urban environment. So many criticals. SO MANY CRITICALS. And the heat buildup is really not all that bad either.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Incidentally, there is a Piranha variant with all the machine guns stripped out and replaced with ER Micro Lasers at 1 heat / 3 damage apiece. It has to be seen to be believed. It is lethal beyond anything you can imagine in an urban environment. So many criticals. SO MANY CRITICALS. And the heat buildup is really not all that bad either.

Yeah, that's the PRA-2. For stripping out all the ammo and suchlike they can upgrade the heat sinks to doubles. It almost NEVER overheats, and is beyond dangerous. I've seen a pack of PRA-2 Piranhas EVISCERATE assault lances.

There is nothing quite like a pair of 20-ton light mechs tearing an Atlas or Dire Wolf to pieces. :owned:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
i'm doing all the calculations right now to pm my turn and let me just say this, the best shot i can get on the that fast fucker is a 10 anything else even moving forward toward him, gives me a 11 - 12 :dawkins101:

yupe movign to where his lack of jump jets comes into play seems like a good idea :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Actually the incidence of organised violence has been on the rise since WW2. War has become steadily more and more frequent and has effected more and more people, if seldom in the 'total-war between western states' that ramped up in intensity in the run-up to that point.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Axe-man posted:

i'm doing all the calculations right now to pm my turn and let me just say this, the best shot i can get on the that fast fucker is a 10 anything else even moving forward toward him, gives me a 11 - 12 :dawkins101:

yupe movign to where his lack of jump jets comes into play seems like a good idea :v:

Nobody ever said that hitting that little bastard would be easy, but it is something that must be done. A single large laser hit might be enough to ruin it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

Nobody ever said that hitting that little bastard would be easy, but it is something that must be done. A single large laser hit might be enough to ruin it.

arghhh now i want to fire at the bastard, :argh: let me recount it

well it makes sense to get him off you both light guys so i'll be in the rear since i have the most armor, then when you are in cover i'll pull bakc and draw him in.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 31, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Yes. Yes it would. 8 points will blow off the head or either arm, and leave the legs/side torsos with 1 point internal left. Only a direct CT shot won't break the armor.

However keep in mind that the Hussar has no important components in the arms or side torsos. Half the mech is little more than ablative armor.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Axe-man posted:

arghhh now i want to fire at the bastard, :argh: let me recount it

By my math, you have three positioning options.
1) Stay where you are. 0 movement mod for you. Range 9. You shoot on a 10. He shoots on a 6. (However, you are in partial cover and so somewhat protected.)
2) Jump to 0907. 3 movement mod. Range 5. You shoot on a 11. He shoots on a 6.
3) Run to either 0707 or 0807. 2 movement mod. Range 6. You shoot on a 12. He shoots on a 7.

If you're gonna shoot, stay put and fire. But you've got about a 16% chance to hit, and he's got around 72%.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was going to write a long post with citations and everything but then I realized this is Let's Play. Sufficed to say, Kerensky's Clans fight way, way more than modern industrialized societies, warfare takes up a vastly larger part of their industry, and their institutions clearly perpetuate that. All that stuff about primitive societies was irrelevant.

And that's why Nicholas Kerensky was a dick.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 31, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, Nicholas Kerensky explicitly propped it up as a society designed to create perfect warriors. Hell, they practice selective eugenics and military training from birth. They are bred, born, and built for the explicit purpose of making war: all the other castes are made up of washouts from warrior training.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I tried to write a thing about the Hermes II. But I didn't like it so I tossed it. But now I'm posting anyway because I feel like I spent long enough looking at this I should post SOMETHING.

Agent Interrobang stole my bit and now my mojo is gone. drat YOU!!!!

(Also I didn't know how to one-up "gently caress you!" "No, gently caress YOU!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

I tried to write a thing about the Hermes II. But I didn't like it so I tossed it. But now I'm posting anyway because I feel like I spent long enough looking at this I should post SOMETHING.

Agent Interrobang stole my bit and now my mojo is gone. drat YOU!!!!

(Also I didn't know how to one-up "gently caress you!" "No, gently caress YOU!")

I sowwwwwwwwy. :ohdear:

Maybe you stick to Inner Sphere mechs, I do Clan ones? Honestly I think your Alshain writeup was way funnier than my gag. I think the idea of having a pair of FWL reps arguing about the specs of the Hermes II might be a good shtick!

• Locked thread