Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

DougieFFC posted:

So Channel One (formerly Virgin 1) is being closed tonight. A bit of trivia is that this is the larges channel ever to close down on British TV (Bravo holds the record as far as market share goes).

Maaan, how will I watch DS9 now?

Oh wait, CBS Action, nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

DougieFFC posted:

So Channel One (formerly Virgin 1) is being closed tonight. A bit of trivia is that this is the larges channel ever to close down on British TV (Bravo holds the record as far as market share goes).

That's cool, i'll just be watching Dave, C4 and more 4 anyway.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

DaWolfey posted:

We have everything to gain if we win

Really? I rather like the 'gently caress 'em if they can't take a joke' attitude this country has to the whole thing. Most of this country, anyway.

I quite liked Scooch

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

DougieFFC posted:

I remember when that used to be FTV. Looked hideous with awful programmes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The only good thing Bravo did to me was introduce me to The Venture Brothers.

Also, is Listers mate Peterson in Red Dwarf played by the same guy who is in those 'I'll get me coat' sketches?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, is Listers mate Peterson in Red Dwarf played by the same guy who is in those 'I'll get me coat' sketches?

Yep, his name is Mark Williams and those sketches were from The Fast Show. That was some quality entertainment when I was 10, but god I don't want to imagine how bad it's aged.

PS. He plays Arthur Weasley now in Harry Potter

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Kin posted:

That's cool, i'll just be watching Dave, C4 and more 4 anyway.
Dave might not be around for much longer. They lost a trademark battle, and if they can't win on appeal, they'll have to rename

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Steve

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Noonsaliwah posted:

Yep, his name is Mark Williams and those sketches were from The Fast Show. That was some quality entertainment when I was 10, but god I don't want to imagine how bad it's aged.

Some of The Fast Show is still very good

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Noonsaliwah posted:

He also seems to be a massive engineering nerd (like Chris Barrie and Robert Llewellyn) as he has presented a bunch of programs about the industrial revolution that regularly pop up on the cable/satellite channels.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

Paperhouse posted:

Some of The Fast Show is still very good

Dave Angel: Eco Warrior is probably one of my favourite sketches.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

King Crab posted:

Dave Angel: Eco Warrior is probably one of my favourite sketches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQ9KLrC4Us the fast show can make me cry.

(I think along with the Ted and Ralph sketches this is pretty much what the Homlmes and Watson sketch in Mitchell and Webb was riffing on)

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

DougieFFC posted:

Wasn't it only rebranded two or three months ago? Where the hell am I gonna watch endless episodes of Next Gen to combat the Sunday hangover?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What the Christ is this Gary: Tank Commander crap I've just seen on the iPlayer? It's bloody awful.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Steve Higginson posted:

Wasn't it only rebranded two or three months ago? Where the hell am I gonna watch endless episodes of Next Gen to combat the Sunday hangover?

They only rebranded it because they had to. They didn't get (and surely didn't want) Virgin's name with the purchase. Closing Virgin One / Channel One was always the plan but it takes time to wind things up so they had to spend about 5p on a new name and logo.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

What the Christ is this Gary: Tank Commander crap I've just seen on the iPlayer? It's bloody awful.

My sister's obsessed with it, but for the longest time I was certain it wasn't an actual show and she was just bullshitting me. But no, it's real. Sounds poo poo, though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Dave might not be around for much longer. They lost a trademark battle, and if they can't win on appeal, they'll have to rename

Trademark? With who? I can't think of any recognisable brand off the top of my head that's called Dave.

No-one gives a crap about the name anyway, it's got a reputation of showing the best funny bits of the BBC so calling it somethign else probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Metrication posted:

I remember when that used to be FTV. Looked hideous with awful programmes.

Ok, by the way it's being replaced with Challenge on freeview. So I hope you don't include old episodes of Krypton Factor and the Crystal Maze when you spoke of Ftn's awful programming....

Steve Higginson posted:

It was rebranded because Sky bought the company (my company) who ran ran it, and obviously it couldn't stay as Virgin 1, so it received a cheap, temporary rebrand. We didn't know it was going to close when it was changed (though we highly suspected).

You'll be able to find TNG on Sky's (ours, since I made the transition) portfolio of channels. There's this one launching soon that focuses on US programming, you may have seen a billboard/commercial.

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 31, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Kin posted:

Trademark? With who? I can't think of any recognisable brand off the top of my head that's called Dave.

No-one gives a crap about the name anyway, it's got a reputation of showing the best funny bits of the BBC so calling it somethign else probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Apparently there's a brand consultancy company called Dave who've been fighting them in a trademark battle since the channel rebranded.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

Apparently there's a brand consultancy company called Dave who've been fighting them in a trademark battle since the channel rebranded.

Ahahah, most ironic thing of the month.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's much risk of anyone confusing the two.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Hahaha, I'm sick off work with a awful cough/cold right now and watched Channel One for a while today, and they showed the penultimate episode of Voyager*, sucks for anyone who hadn't seen it the dozens of previous run throughs and was looking forward to the finale tomorrow.

*Yes I know it is terrible.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
RUPERT MURDOCH - A PORTRAIT OF SATAN
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/01/rupert_murdoch_-_a_portrait_of.html
A great post from Adam Curtis.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Paxman got handed a loving tongue twister tonight:
http://youtu.be/B5uHegwQvyM

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

Paxman got handed a loving tongue twister tonight:
http://youtu.be/B5uHegwQvyM

This video is dull except for the wonderful squeak the guy filming a TV makes

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Kin posted:

Ahahah, most ironic thing of the month.

The best bit is they are both based on Great Portland Street, so keep getting each other's post.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Does anyone else feel Episodes would be far better if it was just the Matt LeBlanc Show?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Unkempt posted:

Really? I rather like the 'gently caress 'em if they can't take a joke' attitude this country has to the whole thing. Most of this country, anyway.

That's just the thing though, we don't have that attitude to it at all. Like DaWolfey said, we seem to have the idea that we'd automatically win if we entered a good act, but if we didn't it'd be super humiliating. Even though we're facing off against the biggest artists most of Eastern Europe has to offer.

Like I said before, it's very tantrumy and I really do hate it. It's fun to take part and we need to stop only focusing on the winner.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ratjaculation posted:

Does anyone else feel Episodes would be far better if it was just the Matt LeBlanc Show?

I thought the first episode was pretty weak but it's really grown on me, it definitely is down to Matt LeBlanc though, surprisingly.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NaDy posted:

I thought the first episode was pretty weak but it's really grown on me, it definitely is down to Matt LeBlanc though, surprisingly.
Matt LeBlanc was the glue holding Friends together as well tbh

Crayfish
May 7, 2009
Children's TV still owns.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

This is so good. I wonder how the animation is done. The hand movements in particular are really detailed I'm guessing all the characters have some kind of mechanical skeleton underneath.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rastamouse is amazing.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

NaDy posted:

I am really enjoying Episodes as well. Matt LeBlanc he been brilliant in it, surprisingly brilliant.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

wickles posted:

RUPERT MURDOCH - A PORTRAIT OF SATAN
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/01/rupert_murdoch_-_a_portrait_of.html
A great post from Adam Curtis.

Reading this in the Sky offices now :)

(Edit: On my lunch hour)

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 1, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

keveh posted:

I am really enjoying Episodes as well. Matt LeBlanc he been brilliant in it, surprisingly brilliant.

He is the ultimate happy go lucky nice guy.

CrackDealer
May 12, 2001
Just some in-valid
ChannelOne is gone but at least we can watch.... Luton Airport... on Sky3 :suicide:.
I wonder if Channel One would have been worth keeping just to poo poo out Sky advertisements every 15 minutes.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Dicky B posted:

This is so good. I wonder how the animation is done. The hand movements in particular are really detailed I'm guessing all the characters have some kind of mechanical skeleton underneath.

BBC iPlayer posted:

Stop-motion series featuring a crime-fighting special agent who plays in a reggae band.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Wafflecop posted:

That is an incredible thing to read out of context, it's what got me to click the link. Didn't prepare me for the title of the series though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Charlie Brooker thing on at 10pm BBC 2.