Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, since no one talked me out of it, I went and bought a slash. I bought a used 4x4 with all of the Platinum upgrades other than the aluminum caster brackets and steering knuckles. Also has a bunch of spare parts and tools.

He also threw in a Traxxas 2.4Ghz radio and 5-channel receiver for an extra $20.

I'm going to start heading to the track regularly for practice and see if I can manage to go fast with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Does anyone know if the Airtronics M8 (backlit version) is worth anything these days? It's in mint condition and has a FM receiver but I believe is Spectrum ready. I haven't used it since I stopped racing 1/8th scale buggies and I want to put the procedes towards a radio for my new helicopter (T-REX 450 Pro).

Yes that is a horrible choice for a noob heli but I don't care.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
The M8 was a good radio and you can still get 2.4 modules for it from either Airtronics or Spektrum. I'd say you could get $75-$100 for it.

Also, the 450 Pro is a great heli regardless of skill level. If you set it up tame (e.g. with flybar weights, expo, etc.) and outfit it with a set of training gear you'll have the perfect beginner heli.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Burn the Priest posted:

The M8 was a good radio and you can still get 2.4 modules for it from either Airtronics or Spektrum. I'd say you could get $75-$100 for it.

Also, the 450 Pro is a great heli regardless of skill level. If you set it up tame (e.g. with flybar weights, expo, etc.) and outfit it with a set of training gear you'll have the perfect beginner heli.

Maybe i'll post it for sale soon but I keep telling myself i'll get another rc car so I hang onto it. I remember how expensive and popular they were a while back.

I just finished setting up the tail and boom and head on the 450 pro and i'm impressed at how nice this thing is. I may just buy a CopterX 450 to practice on rather than wreck the Align. I still need to get all the electronics but it's looking like Hitec servos, a Spektrum DX7 and a spartan quark gyro. Motor and ESC will probably be Scorpion.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
My setup is similar to that and it's smooth as butter. I have a DX7 with a 6110E, Hitec 5065MGs, Quark gyro with an Align DS520 tail servo (tail is smooth as butter with this setup), and I'm using the stock Align motor and ESC. I've found the Align electronics actually work very well with the 450 Pro.

Mine is new as well and I haven't gotten to fly it for more than 6 batteries so far due to the weather here in the northeast. Regardless I think I'll be flying this one more than my Trex 500 because this 450 Pro is :krad:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Burn the Priest posted:

My setup is similar to that and it's smooth as butter. I have a DX7 with a 6110E, Hitec 5065MGs, Quark gyro with an Align DS520 tail servo (tail is smooth as butter with this setup), and I'm using the stock Align motor and ESC. I've found the Align electronics actually work very well with the 450 Pro.

Mine is new as well and I haven't gotten to fly it for more than 6 batteries so far due to the weather here in the northeast. Regardless I think I'll be flying this one more than my Trex 500 because this 450 Pro is :krad:

Hmmm well if the Align motor and ESC is working well for you maybe i'll save some money and go with those. I can't wait to get this thing in the air.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, took the new slash to the track today. I did the Steve Slayden setup, as close as I could (dont know what weight the diff fluid is yet, dont know the camber), and it did well. A lot of it was obviously the fact that I had never driven that car, or a slash on the track at all. Once I got a rythm, I got going pretty good though.

Anyone here racing a slash? If so, what is your setup? What weight diff fluids are you running? How about shocks? I'm running 30wt in Pro-Line Powerstrokes, and its a little thin. I'm going to try 50 and see how that goes.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
What kind of track are you running on? Still running the stock tires?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SGT. Squeaks posted:

What kind of track are you running on? Still running the stock tires?

Hard packed dirt, with the stock tires. Thinking about getting the pro-line caliber M2's

Last night I tore into it to get a baseline. The front, center, and rear diffs had some dirty oil of unknown weight in them, and the front was mostly empty, and essentially an open diff at that point. I put 7K diff oil in the front and rear, and 50K in the center.

Still have to up my shocks to 50wt

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm going to the Nuremburg Toy Fair next week, would anyone be interested in pictures from there? It's the biggest toy/hobby trade show in the EU, kind of like Shizuoka and what the iHobby show used to be like. It's trade only (think guys in suits making deals for containers of product), so no super cool product displays like at the RCX show in SoCal, it's mostly more clinical pictures of new stuff in glass showcases or on little podiums.

Sites like Red RC and NeoBuggy, etc. will probably be able to get their pictures and stuff up first, but they concentrate more on the racing end of things anyway (https://www.redrc.net love 1/8th on-road and https://www.neobuggy.net is only 1/8th buggies), so maybe I'll have some stuff they won't have. It's possible I may not be able to get close-up pictures of everything new but maybe I can give a sense of what the place is like.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'd be interested in photos of Tamiya stuff, mainly electric on road please :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
We walk past the Tamiya stand on the way in and out every day, I get lots of pictures of their models anyway. They're just around the corner, on the other side of LRP's watchtower. After last year's Sand Scorcher full-size replica hopefully they'll have something as cool there this year :)

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Well, I'm jumping in all electric this season. Selling off my Jammin x1-CR buggy and my Kyosho IGT 2 on-road. After upgrading my sc10 with lipo's and a new ESC (Still running a brushed motor), I decided to give 1/8 scale electric a try as well. Going with a Hot Bodies Ve8 running a Tekin Rx8 1900kV. I know I'm going to miss the sound of nitro, but hopefully the ease of electric will make up for it. I'm keeping my nitro engines, starter box, and all that. Just in case I switch back next year.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who has only run electric, I cant imagine ever wanting to go to nitro. It just reduces the places you can run the car, and increases all the fiddling and frustration.

Someone explain the draws of nitro to me.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well.. it "was" runtime and horsepower. Now.. I don't see much appeal at all.

but just think about it. 20 minute run times, in the age of 4 minute battery runs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Well.. it "was" runtime and horsepower. Now.. I don't see much appeal at all.

but just think about it. 20 minute run times, in the age of 4 minute battery runs.

Real men could run 8 minutes on 1400s. :smug: 1/12 supremacy.

I still haven't run my SC10 in, but I do have a shiny new DS1313 to go into it.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

As someone who has only run electric, I cant imagine ever wanting to go to nitro. It just reduces the places you can run the car, and increases all the fiddling and frustration.

I used to run 1/8th scale off-road buggies (I had an Xray XB8) and i'm not sure why someone wouldn't want to run nitro. They're like chainsaws on wheels and once you understand how a nitro engine works you've already won half the battle. It's not better than electric, it's just different and another way to have fun.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Since they just opened a nifty little indoor dirt track close to me and I just busted a rib dirtbiking, I'm considering getting into this whole R/C car business.

I've got a _tiny_ bit of experience with R/C cars but it was with a Slash, which doesn't seem to be highly regarded around here?

Basically, I want a decent, robust little truck or buggy that will let me build r/c skills and race here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fox5Nhy4ts

What the hell should I be lookign at?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

needknees posted:

I've got a _tiny_ bit of experience with R/C cars but it was with a Slash, which doesn't seem to be highly regarded around here?
Isnt this the opposite? When I was in the market Im pretty sure this thread swayed me to a slash, and it was awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slashes are rad, parts are everywhere, and tons of people have them. The slash essentially created RC short course racing.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Phat_Albert posted:

Slashes are rad, parts are everywhere, and tons of people have them. The slash essentially created RC short course racing.

Yeah, but it's popular so it's got to be hated now by all the cool kids. /sarcasm

It's a great truck.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The Strike is the only really reviled Short Courser, for a lot of reasons. High center of gravity, non-ROAR compliant size, no durability at all. All of the other SCTs seem fairly evenly matched, with a few pros and cons here and there. I have a couple of Blitzes and I'm insanely happy with them.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I love my SC-10, but it's not as durable and tough as the slash. If you just starting out the slash is the way to go. Once your fighting the limits of the truck, move up to something better.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Edit - should have refreshed before posting... ^^ That was my thought on the SC10 as well. It seemed much more fragile than the slash but was considerably lighter.

Went to the local hobby shop after work tonight to check poo poo out. They had a good selection of Traxxas stuff so that's the norm. They also had a decent selection of Team Associated and Team Losi stuff as well. Prices on the kits at least (batteries and chargers were a different story) were pretty drat competitive with the internet so I'm probably going to buy the truck there at least.

They had the Slash w/ a 2.4ghz controller for $245, and the Slash VXL for 345. How good is the Traxxas brushless motor? Would I be kicking myself for going with the standard version and not springing on the brushless one?

They also had a Team Associated SC10 brushless for 270. This didn't seem quite as sturdy as the slash but it was lighter... better for racing but probably easier to break?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Well, I'm jumping in all electric this season. Selling off my Jammin x1-CR buggy and my Kyosho IGT 2 on-road. After upgrading my sc10 with lipo's and a new ESC (Still running a brushed motor), I decided to give 1/8 scale electric a try as well. Going with a Hot Bodies Ve8 running a Tekin Rx8 1900kV. I know I'm going to miss the sound of nitro, but hopefully the ease of electric will make up for it. I'm keeping my nitro engines, starter box, and all that. Just in case I switch back next year.

Dude, did you end up moving back east? It has been another lonely winter with no sedan rug racing :smith:

Get a brushless system for your SC10 man! I don't own a single brushed thing anymore.

quote:

It was for a very long time the most competitive racing classes. Nitro sedans were king, 1/8 off road is still where most of the "Elite" racers and races are had in North America. When you know what you are doing with a nitro car, they will run forever, without headaches. My only frustration was the mess they made. 45-60 minute mains are INTENSE to race in! I love that they have stretched out electric races (Our local off road track does 6 minute quals and 8 minute mains). I have raced in a 45 minute Nitro Sedan main. It was probably equal to what a crack user gets off of a hit. It was awesome!
Now though - I don't own a single Nitro. Everything is brushless/Lithium powered, with the exception of my Baja 5T which is mixed 2 stroke. :quagmire:

To the dude looking to get something to race: Buy an SC10 if you will be racing it exclusively. If you will be doing bashing most of the time, and are okay not being super competitive when you do race, then rock a Slash! If you are going to do mostly bashing, run a 4x4 Slash. They are ridiculous, and will be competitive in the 4x4 class at your race track. Get the brushless. The Traxxas VXL system is actually smooth on a 2S LiPo, smoother than pretty much any other sensorless system, and crazy fast/durable to boot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

Edit - should have refreshed before posting... ^^ That was my thought on the SC10 as well. It seemed much more fragile than the slash but was considerably lighter.

Went to the local hobby shop after work tonight to check poo poo out. They had a good selection of Traxxas stuff so that's the norm. They also had a decent selection of Team Associated and Team Losi stuff as well. Prices on the kits at least (batteries and chargers were a different story) were pretty drat competitive with the internet so I'm probably going to buy the truck there at least.

They had the Slash w/ a 2.4ghz controller for $245, and the Slash VXL for 345. How good is the Traxxas brushless motor? Would I be kicking myself for going with the standard version and not springing on the brushless one?

They also had a Team Associated SC10 brushless for 270. This didn't seem quite as sturdy as the slash but it was lighter... better for racing but probably easier to break?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Get the 2.4GHZ brushless Slash, because those will be your first upgrades if you dont get them right away. I'd also recommend the 4x4 over the 2wd, unless you're specifically shooting to compete in a 2wd class. Traxxasssesss brushless VXL system is great, the motor is really torquey, and super reliable. A few people have had flaky ESC's, but I've had one since summer with no problems at all, even after it spent 10 minutes underwater when I flipped my Stampede into a creek. I then moved it out of the Pede and into my new Slash, and its performing just as well. Either way, Traxxas warranty support is top notch, and they'll take care of you.

The SC10 is a better race truck than the 2wd Slash, but its also a lot more fragile, and not as much of a basher. The 4x4 Slash will bash all day outside, then head inside to race on a track, and not skip a beat. I've got mine set up to race on our LHS SC track, and its not giving up much at all to the SC10's. As with any form of racing, the drivers skill does a lot to define how fast the car is.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 1, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Just bought a 2wd Slash VXL :3:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Posting from the hotel on my phone...

Prep for the big Toy Fair is nearly complete, can't see the latest from the big companies yet but the Tamiya stand has a full-size Man tractor trailer on it (last year they had the Sand Scorcher replica and the year before the matte black GT3 racing Porsche I think) so they must have a new RC tractor trailer rig coming out.

Kyosho have a slot car display (first I've heard of this) and a few small scale buggies, and I'm not a heli guy but it seems big (normal-size) helis are the thing this year, the Robbe stand across from us are showing several models from .50 to.70 size with Castle motors and speedos.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody want to buy an airtronics MX3 FHSS 3ch setup? I've got a transmitter and receiver sitting around doing nothing. I love the thing, but I only really ever use my slash, and it's just not worth bothering setting it up for the MX3.

e: also, anyone want to buy a novak 6.5 brushless setup?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hypnolobster posted:

Anybody want to buy an airtronics MX3 FHSS 3ch setup? I've got a transmitter and receiver sitting around doing nothing. I love the thing, but I only really ever use my slash, and it's just not worth bothering setting it up for the MX3.

e: also, anyone want to buy a novak 6.5 brushless setup?

I might be interested in the Airtronics TX and RX and the Novak, actually. What kind of price are you looking for? Whats the difference between the MX3 and the MX3X??

needknees posted:

Just bought a 2wd Slash VXL :3:

You'll love it, the Slash is a great truck, and the VXL system is awesome too.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 1, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

You'll love it, the Slash is a great truck, and the VXL system is awesome too.

Edit - Fuckers closed the indoor track due to weather :wtf:. Goddamn snowstorm :argh:

I can't wait! Going to head down to the track for a practice session tonight. It's going to be hilarious at best. I took the car out to our office's (more or less empty) warehouse and played around with it for a bit... much hooning was had. Only smashed into one poll!

I saw this charger and batteries listed earlier in the thread...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=7028
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9172

what else would I need to make the switch to lipo? I figured I'd just get this charger since a decent one at the hobby shop was more than 3x as expensive. Looks like I need some different plugs as well?

needknees fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 2, 2011

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Dude, did you end up moving back east? It has been another lonely winter with no sedan rug racing :smith:

Yeah, out in Atlanta. I didn't do any racing or painting at all in 2010. But I'm aching to get back out there and slap down some paint and blow dough on tires. I really wish we had some on-road though. We had the best on-road out there.

needknees posted:

I saw this charger and batteries listed earlier in the thread...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=7028
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9172

what else would I need to make the switch to lipo? I figured I'd just get this charger since a decent one at the hobby shop was more than 3x as expensive. Looks like I need some different plugs as well?

Before you order that battery give your track a call and see if they have any battery rules. My local indoor track only allows ROAR approved batteries even though it's not a ROAR track. Just one of their safety rules. I'd also get something with a little bite more than 20C. Like a 35C and up.

Also, you'll need and external power supply to run that charger. Depending on what you get those don't have to be expensive either.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I use an old ATX computer power supply to power my Accucell 6, and it works great.

What ROAR compliant hardcase battery would you recommend for a SCT? Also, I just picked up an HPI Sprint 2 to run in Vintage TA, anyone have suggestions on the batteries that best fit in those?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Phat_Albert posted:

I might be interested in the Airtronics TX and RX and the Novak, actually. What kind of price are you looking for? Whats the difference between the MX3 and the MX3X??

The MX3X appears to have some nifty settings for crawlers and stuff, but beyond that they seem pretty similar.
I was hoping for $115 for the TX/RX and $120 for the Novak setup.

email me at username at gmail.com if you're interested :)

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So myself and SFH1989 have been out of the R/C car game for a while (my first and only car is a Traxxas Bandit with a mechanical speed control). I have been thinking about fooling around with my car again however I have a few questions only currently experienced (I would consider myself old school experience) to give us a few good pointers. My car is currently missing a working battery and motor. Should I simply get a 15 turn brush motor like I used to have and get a NiMh battery? Or should I do the LiPo upgrade that every modern R/C seems to have?

Would you have to replace the speed control to use a brushless motor or a LiPo? I mean seriously, the last time I raced my car was sometime around 2000... forgive my ignorance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No matter what you do, ditch the mechanical speed control. Any electronic speed control will be worlds beyond that.

If you're going to put money into the car to get it going again, you'd be mis-spending your money in my mind if you didnt go lipo/brushless.

If you want a direct, drop-in solution, get the Traxxas VXL-3s ESC and motor, otherwise, EZRun and Novak make great systems as well, but you'll have to research which one will be appropriate for the Bandit.

For the LiPo battery, you can get them cheap from HobbyKing, who now has a warehouse in the USA (assuming you're in the US). You may as well start with a 2S 5000mah like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14988

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
In case anyone is interested about updates from the Toy Fair:

Castle is showing off their brushless-powered Baja 5T, which apparently can get up to 60mph with the right battery/pinion/spur combination. That's seriously just too fast for sanity...but it is pretty drat cool.

Can't get into the Tamiya stand yet so I can't see any RC rig so far.

Venom has their dirt bike on display, looks pretty cool.

HPI (again, for full disclosure, who I work for) have a 'mini-Savage' prototype in full 3D printing prototype coolness (a little smaller than a 1/0th stadium truck, 6-cell battery size, 540 motor size), RTR D8 and Flux brushless versions of some existing models like the Mini-Trophy, Trophy Truggy and Buggy.

I have yet to properly walk around (or scooter around, which is the fastest way to see things) but there's some cool new stuff here.

There's a few brand names missing from the main RC hall, like Corally, Kokam and some others, but a few new brands are popping in. The all-racing brands like Shephard and Velox are here as well. It seems most of the big companies have done their press releases before the show, kind of like the electronics brands with CES, but the point of this show isn't to highlight new product but to talk to distributors and make your sales targets for the next Christmas season.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Guess what was the only thing open at the mall last night :black101:

Seriously they got permission from the store to stay open, had to have either the guy running the track or a security guard come and open the mall doors to let people in... So I got to run my new truck!!! :dance:

HOLY poo poo WHAT A BLAST!

Definitely took some getting used to but by the end of the night I was doing pretty well - not flipping much and cornering pretty well. Didn't manage to break anything, only ran straight into the wall a couple times... But all in all I had a great time. I'm thinking about going again tonight and actually racing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Racing R/C cars is one of those things thats just instantly a blast.
Glad you're enjoying the Slash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Phat_Albert posted:

Racing R/C cars is one of those things thats just instantly a blast.
Glad you're enjoying the Slash!

This couldn't be truer. Even when I'm losing, I'm having a great time. When I do good, it's a total rush and incredibly exciting. My only regret is that I didn't get into it sooner!