Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

MariusMcG posted:

Well, you could write a PHP script that checks that email address and moves any attachments of a given MIME type to a location of your choice, then set up a cron job to run your PHP script every couple minutes. You could also use Dropbox.

How do I set up a script to constantly run? Is that possible? Or even worth it to have a script constantly checking an email box for mail? I don't want to have to do anything other than email the picture when it's done if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Substar posted:

How do I set up a script to constantly run? Is that possible? Or even worth it to have a script constantly checking an email box for mail? I don't want to have to do anything other than email the picture when it's done if possible.

You'd write the script to do a single check, then set it to run every minute or half or thirty. If you've Linux or something Unixy you should look up cron, if Windows look up scheduled tasks.

mcw
Jul 28, 2005

Substar posted:

If you've never used cron before, I think you'll be fairly pleased with what it can allow you to do. Check out this guide to get up and running with it pretty quickly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What am I doing wrong while trying to use SQLite under Eclipse/Ubuntu? I have the dev packages installed and pasted some example code into a new project, but it won't link to the library. It can see the header (the SQLite types work) but the linker thinks all the functions are undefined. Now what?

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

Thanks everyone!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

What am I doing wrong while trying to use SQLite under Eclipse/Ubuntu? I have the dev packages installed and pasted some example code into a new project, but it won't link to the library. It can see the header (the SQLite types work) but the linker thinks all the functions are undefined. Now what?

Did you tell it to actually link the library? -lsqlite3 on the linking commandline, don't know how you'd specify that in Eclipse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nielsm posted:

Did you tell it to actually link the library? -lsqlite3 on the linking commandline, don't know how you'd specify that in Eclipse.

Apparently not. I do know where to put it, just not what the command actually was. Thanks!

Goofankle
Feb 4, 2010
alright, I'm taking an object oriented programming class this semester. Our first assignment was to make this really easy java file and run it. I made the file and ran it on the campus PC and it worked fine so I submitted it. Now after trying to run it at home I am getting a couple errors. I'm not sure if I hosed up something when adding system variable or if I indeed hosed up the actual file itself. Anyway here is the code I turned in versus the code given to me in a handout.

turned in:
code:
//HelloPrinter on Notepad and commandline

public class HelloPrinter
{
	public static void main( String [ ] args ) 

// display a greeting in the console window

System.out.println("Hello World!");
code given via handout:
code:
{
	{

System.out.println(“Hello, World!”);
}
}
and finally here is the error I get while trying to run the first set of code. all help/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Goofankle posted:

turned in:
code:
//HelloPrinter on Notepad and commandline

{

System.out.println("Hello World!");
code given via handout:
code:
{
	{

System.out.println(“Hello, World!”);
}
}
These two are not the same.

Goofankle
Feb 4, 2010
I understand this, which is why I'm a bit confused as to why it isn't working on my desktop. The first set of code worked flawlessly in class, so I turned it in. Now the code does not seem to be working....

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
If you turned in what you pasted here, it could not have worked.

Edit: To be a little more helpful, the code you say you turned in clearly has a dangling block. Open-curly-braces must be matched by closing-curly-braces.

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 23, 2011

Goofankle
Feb 4, 2010
I see the difference between the two, and changed to code and tried to run it from command line again, now I have 5 errors showing up.

I have no experience in programming, just looking for a little feedback as to what the problem is. Apologies for my stupidity.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
You have fancy quotes “” instead of normal quotes "".

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

There is also a difference between straight quotes (") and curly-quotes (“”). If you look at the first error message javac outputs, it's pointing at the first curly-quote in your code. Furthermore, it doesn't look like a quotation mark anymore. This is a clue.

Goofankle
Feb 4, 2010
oh god, I'm not even sure how that happened. I changed from the curly quotes to the regular quotes and it worked fine. gently caress me. I shall resubmit. Thank you for your help.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

What's important here is developing some basic debugging skills. The first javac error is the only thing that matters. Look where javac tells you and think about what the error message says. Did you type what you meant? Are []{}() balanced? Etc. When you solve one problem, compile again and see what's next.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Goofankle posted:

oh god, I'm not even sure how that happened.

What program did you use to create your .java file? If you used a word processor or something, then that's your problem. Seeing that you're on Windows, I guess you should give Notepad++ a try.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Goofankle posted:

oh god, I'm not even sure how that happened. I changed from the curly quotes to the regular quotes and it worked fine. gently caress me. I shall resubmit. Thank you for your help.
Those quotes can be an issue when copy-pasting from Word or other MS Office programs.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

rt4 posted:

What program did you use to create your .java file? If you used a word processor or something, then that's your problem. Seeing that you're on Windows, I guess you should give Notepad++ a try.

Notepad++ loving rocks and if you should use it whenever you don't have a proper IDE. You're in Java though so maybe try Eclipse as well.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Notepad++ loving rocks and if you should use it whenever you don't have a proper IDE. You're in Java though so maybe try Eclipse as well.
totally off topic but what is your avatar from

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Orzo posted:

totally off topic but what is your avatar from

Hugh Thompson, application security consultant and all around annoying individual who had (has?) his own (terrible) talkshow through AT&T. Guy seems to know his poo poo but drat he's irritating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLJ7z2IV4Ok

So it's not entirely unrelated. But it mostly is.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn
What environment is useful for actionscript programming?

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

TheBoogeyMan posted:

What environment is useful for actionscript programming?

FlashDevelop
http://www.flashdevelop.org

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

FlashDevelop Wiki posted:

Mac OSX/Linux compatible using virtualization software (VirtualBox, VMWare, Parallels)

I don't get why they even bother to say this.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
They're proud that they haven't done a terrible enough job to break it in VMs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What do you do when you use a library and some programs need version 2.2, some need 2.3, and some old ones need 1.4?

My solution right now is keep all of them on my hard drive and just adjust the makefile of each one so that they aren't using system paths. I guess that's what you have to do but it seems ridiculous to have multiple copies of 500mb source.

Goofankle
Feb 4, 2010
I'm back with another question. Not quite sure whats causing errors this time.

code:

/**
	This program tests the Square class.
*/

public class SquareTester
{
    public static void main (String[] args)
    {
        Square standardSquare = new Square();

System.out.print("The standard square has an area of ");
        System.out.print(standardSquare.getArea());
        System.out.print(" and a perimeter of ");
        System.out.print(standardSquare.getPerimeter());

System.out.println();

double side = 13;
        Square mySquare = new Square(side);

System.out.print("The square with my input has an area of ");
        System.out.print(mySquare.getArea());
        System.out.print(" and a perimeter of ");
        System.out.println(mySquare.getPerimeter());
        System.out.println();

}

}

errors are

Goofankle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 31, 2011

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Generally if you have an error it's helpful to say what the error is.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Goofankle posted:

errors are

you need to compile Square.java and put the resulting Square.class in the same directory as SquareTester.java.

Goofankle
Feb 4, 2010
thanks! that did it. this file was trying to link to square.java? is that what I'm getting from these errors?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Goofankle posted:

thanks! that did it. this file was trying to link to square.java? is that what I'm getting from these errors?

Yes. "Symbol" is compiler-lingo for a name that is defined somewhere and is not a reserved word/keyword of the language. The name of a class, a method or a variable is a symbol. (Remember, a symbol talks about the name, not the thing itself. The compiler is telling you, "I have never heard of anything by the name 'Square'.")

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I recently got bitten with the embedding scripting language bug and have been wanting to incorporate some kind of interpreter into some stuff I'm working on for work and pleasure. The situations are slightly different, but not by much:

1. C# application into which I want to embed IronPython. It would bring up a Python console such that somebody could live in there and call all my C# stuff if they felt like. I was hoping though that the console could be a GUI control or something similar where I can add some other controls. Are there any up-to-date examples of something like this? I have not done GUI stuff in .NET and I found the text box to be pretty limiting. I don't directly figure out what was added to it, for one thing. If there aren't any good examples of this, does somebody have a good recommendation for some GUI components that would serve well as a shell where the user is typing stuff while something on the other end is spitting back results from the interpeter?

2. C++ application where I'd like to embed Mono and hopefully some shells for whatever language of choice they want to use. I was hoping not to have to implement a shell for each of these, given my fun and games I've seen with #1. I was thinking even of just offering up a socket that would bind to some specific runtime and leave it up to users to implement a shell for it. Or whatever. At the least though I'd personally want to use Python and Ruby with it, so I am trying to find a solution that is sufficient abstract to work with both. Also I am not too hard set on mono, but I want something that will work on Windows and Linux, and has good support for Python and Ruby. Parrot is supposed to do both but I've had nothing but trouble.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I loving hate build systems I hate them I hate them I hate them and yes I know that isn't a question

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I loving hate build systems I hate them I hate them I hate them and yes I know that isn't a question

This might not even remotely useful, but I've been watching redo and it looks like it could be a build system I might not hate.

As much.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
For my home projects, I've been using python and a modified version of fabricate.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

I like premake, but I've only used it for small projects (less than 4000 LOC, maybe a dozen source files) so far.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I recently got bitten with the embedding scripting language bug and have been wanting to incorporate some kind of interpreter into some stuff I'm working on for work and pleasure. The situations are slightly different, but not by much:

Maybe give http://boo.codehaus.org/ a look for your C#/CLI projects

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I'm onto using three build systems now and they all suck. SCons for development, Autoconf & Automake for Unix distribution, CMake for Windows distribution.

Kill me.

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

I rather like cmake (by comparison to every other POS I've ever had to use).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

Maybe give http://boo.codehaus.org/ a look for your C#/CLI projects

Another option would be PowerShell