Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I'm looking for some toys from when I was younger I believe they were called keymasters.

They were cars or motorcycles that had a slot for a key that when you put it in panels would fly open and it would shoot out missiles.

Also here's a weird one they make deodorant for people so their pits don't reek has some one cashed in on sweaty crotch market?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Talcum powder is for sweaty crotches.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Someone PLEASE tell me they have that Gold Bond on your balls picture.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Rekkit posted:

the only thing I can think of is this old 4chan screencap

here's some more questions

Do shock sites work on smartphones?

How can I remove the family display from under my friendslist on facebook. One of my cousins has a gross profile pic I'd rather go without the awkwardness of removing them from the family thing

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 31, 2011

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

No, it's from an old SA thread about MSPainting your balls and Gold Bond I think. And I don't know anything about facebook so, sorry I'm no help.

However:

Rekkit posted:

Who is this comedian? I've seen him on Comedy Central pretty recently.

The joke was that when you break up, you look at old happy pictures of your girlfriend which make you sad. Instead, you should take pictures of her when she's being insane and angry.

Help anyone?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rekkit posted:

Well, there's this one:

There's another one out there with a note: "Sorry. We won't endorse your balls. But we will give them that cool, tingling sensation that only hookers have perfected, but without the extra costs." That one is on an infected site.

Oh, an old SA thread about MSPainting your balls. I didn't see that thread.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

WillieWestwood posted:

Oh, an old SA thread about MSPainting your balls. I didn't see that thread.

Show me your genitals! was an MSpaint thread that got comedy goldmined.

I only remember this because mine are in there.

NWS obviously!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

wigtrade.cc posted:

Also here's a weird one they make deodorant for people so their pits don't reek has some one cashed in on sweaty crotch market?

Ever heard of Jock Itch? It's the same thing* as athletes foot, so the same medicine works on it. (As the labels on many athletes foot medicines say.) People who wear jock straps for a living have to deal with it, because, just like your feet, it's a dark wet hole of festation.

*more or less. Apparently some of the more recent foot ones are not as effective on jock itch. Cruex is marketed for balls, but it works on feet as well.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Rekkit posted:

Who is this comedian? I've seen him on Comedy Central pretty recently.

The joke was that when you break up, you look at old happy pictures of your girlfriend which make you sad. Instead, you should take pictures of her when she's being insane and angry.

Could it be Demetri Martin? That kind of sounds like something he'd say.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Moscow Mule posted:

Could it be Demetri Martin? That kind of sounds like something he'd say.

No it definitely wasn't him. I want to say he was asian though. He finished his set with this joke too, he snapped a picture of his gf when she was going crazy.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What's the proper way of pronouncing 'Johannesburg'?

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

My exgirlfriend's South African parents always pronounced it Joe-han-es-berg (say the middle two faster).

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Augmented Dickey posted:

What's the proper way of pronouncing 'Johannesburg'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNaLTvKZm70

"Johannesburg" they say twice in the first minute - how I've always herd it said.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

That's odd...I've always said "Yo-hannis-burg". Not that I have had much reason to say it aloud, but that's how I pronounced it. Well, did, before that guy in the video schooled me. :ohdear:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Probably from a German interpretation of how to pronounce Johannes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to kill someone using an electromagnet purely through the magnetic force involved (rip iron out of blood or whatever)? What would the likely method of death be and how much energy would be required?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

baquerd posted:

Is it possible to kill someone using an electromagnet purely through the magnetic force involved (rip iron out of blood or whatever)? What would the likely method of death be and how much energy would be required?

Quick answer: No.

MRIs use enormously powerful magnetic fields to check your body. If they cannot kill you through powerful magnetic fields, nothing can't.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 1, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Do Americans use 'mad' to mean 'crazy' as well as 'angry'? In the UK, 'mad' mostly means crazy/insane, although obviously we understand the 'angry' meaning as well. If I said 'are you mad?' in America, would it only mean 'Are you angry?' or could it mean 'Are you nuts?' too?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kapalama posted:

Quick answer: No.

MRIs use enormously powerful magnetic fields to check your body. If they cannot kill you through powerful magnetic fields, nothing can't.

I found this which explained basically the iron isn't free to be magnetic.

http://www.revisemri.com/blog/2006/mri-blood-iron-attraction/

So next question: are there any non-lethal to inject magnetic materials?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

marshmallard posted:

If I said 'are you mad?' in America, would it only mean 'Are you angry?' or could it mean 'Are you nuts?' too?

It's pretty much the other way around for us, though that specific phrase is usually understood as the "crazy" mad more than the "angry" mad in the proper context. Outside of that phrase and maybe a few others like "going mad", though, we generally don't use it with that meaning, but it won't confuse us if you say it.

I mean, well, most of us. Some of us are really dumb but I'm sure you know that.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

marshmallard posted:

Do Americans use 'mad' to mean 'crazy' as well as 'angry'? In the UK, 'mad' mostly means crazy/insane, although obviously we understand the 'angry' meaning as well. If I said 'are you mad?' in America, would it only mean 'Are you angry?' or could it mean 'Are you nuts?' too?

Only in particular set phrases, like 'in a mad rush', or 'mad scientist'. Outside of that people would asuume angry in speech. Media use varies since so many actors working in the US are actually from other places, and they do not know better.

(Watching 'The Mentalist' and watching Owain Yeoman struggle with his accent and idiom really brings this one home. His accent is always slipping into Welsh, and his English is idiomatically incorrect (for the US) all the time. It makes me wonder why they even have him speak American since he can't carry it out.)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It's pretty much the other way around for us, though that specific phrase is usually understood as the "crazy" mad more than the "angry" mad in the proper context. Outside of that phrase and maybe a few others like "going mad", though, we generally don't use it with that meaning, but it won't confuse us if you say it.

I mean, well, most of us. Some of us are really dumb but I'm sure you know that.

OK. So for example, there's a picture of a cat that's always floating around these forums - it's sitting in a box that says 'Free kittens' which is crossed out, and 'Mad cat' is written over the top.

I've always taken that to mean 'crazy cat' but would it actually mean 'angry cat' to someone American?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
"You mad?" became somewhat popular because of the O'Reilly gif. Just GIS "u mad". But it's pretty uncommon for people to genuinely ask "Are you mad?" They would just say "Are you crazy?" if checking for mental competence.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

marshmallard posted:

I've always taken that to mean 'crazy cat' but would it actually mean 'angry cat' to someone American?

To me, yes. I would assume the cat was angry at not being taken or something. What do you read it as? Why would the cat be crazy?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

To me, yes. I would assume the cat was angry at not being taken or something. What do you read it as? Why would the cat be crazy?

I found the actual image which might help me explain:

I just assumed the writing was warning you that the cat was crazy - I can't see why it would be angry in such an awesome structure!

Would you read that as 'angry cat' then?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yep, that cat is angry and that is why he is going to shoot you with his sweet mech. I can see how "crazy" would work too, though.

In general, in the US, we'd say "crazy" or "nuts" rather than "mad" meaning mentally unsound. Mad is almost always angry, here. "Are you mad?" means "Are you angry?" unless the person in question is, like, rollerskating naked with a duck on his head and thus clearly crazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That one in particular says "mad" because it's a nerd reference so this whole argument is somewhat academic.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

marshmallard posted:

I found the actual image which might help me explain:

I just assumed the writing was warning you that the cat was crazy - I can't see why it would be angry in such an awesome structure!

Would you read that as 'angry cat' then?

'Mad Cat' is also the name of a specific model of Mech from the Mechwarrior franchise.

edit: what he said^

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems to me that Firefox 4 has been in beta for considerably longer than 3. Is this true? If not, have they given (or has anyone else figured out) the reason(s) why?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

That one in particular says "mad" because it's a nerd reference so this whole argument is somewhat academic.

And all this time I thought it was some Inspector Gadget reference that I just wasn't grasping. :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

It seems to me that Firefox 4 has been in beta for considerably longer than 3. Is this true? If not, have they given (or has anyone else figured out) the reason(s) why?

There's been a lot more changes than 3 had compared to 2. Also it's actually only been like 7 months that it's been in beta.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Why do you twitch/spasm really hard right as you're falling asleep? Somewhere in the moments that you're actually going from awake to asleep, most people will have an involuntary leg spasm or similar, and it's always a big one. What causes this?

e: vvv Woah super-quick, thank you!

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 1, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

marshmallard posted:

OK. So for example, there's a picture of a cat that's always floating around these forums - it's sitting in a box that says 'Free kittens' which is crossed out, and 'Mad cat' is written over the top.

I'd say if there's any way that the "angry" interpretation could apply to the situation, we'd go with that one. Based on the cat's glowing eyes/expression and the fact that he's in a mock up of a death robot, I'd say we'd be much more likely to say that he's angry at something sooner than crazy.

Now if it was like a cat dancing around like a ballerina, then yeah we'd probably get the picture.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

haveblue posted:

Oh. Clearly I misunderstood the whole thing.

The picture was much funnier when I thought it was a crazy cat :(

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Whats a good place to host images off of somethingawful? I saw a thread somewhere but I can't find it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Econosaurus posted:

Whats a good place to host images off of somethingawful? I saw a thread somewhere but I can't find it.

You want this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1840176

I like imgur.com

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I'm trying to buy someone a gift card online. Ideally, it'd be like a same as cash Visa card or similar, but many of those sites seem to require actually physically sending it to the person. I don't know their home address and I'd rather not ask them, as i want it to be a surprise. Is there anywhere I can buy a gift card that they can redeem and claim using their email or a login that gets emailed to them or something like that?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

marshmallard posted:

Oh. Clearly I misunderstood the whole thing.

The picture was much funnier when I thought it was a crazy cat :(

Well, really it's a play on the Mech name, so it is both a "Mad Cat" as well as a mad cat. :)

TremendousMajestic posted:

I'm trying to buy someone a gift card online. Ideally, it'd be like a same as cash Visa card or similar, but many of those sites seem to require actually physically sending it to the person. I don't know their home address and I'd rather not ask them, as i want it to be a surprise. Is there anywhere I can buy a gift card that they can redeem and claim using their email or a login that gets emailed to them or something like that?

I just did this very thing yesterday, on Amazon. A gift card that's an email. The only problem I could see would be if the recipient didn't know it was coming and it went into the junk mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

dokmo posted:

You want this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1840176

I like imgur.com

Do most goons not use Waffle Images anymore? If not, why not?