Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrBling posted:

Fess up, which one of yous did this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Alvarez ?

Does someone actually love Brent or is the whole thing fake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They de-push everybody who is coming up now at least once, so it's definitely some sort of policy even if it isn't a response to Brock (and maybe even Lashley).

What's really funny is they were in the beginning stages of doing it to lashley (Putting him in a TATANKA feud!) until he got shipped over to the ECW brand.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
By most peoples definition of the "de-push and humble", it happened to Bret in 1995 when he had to feud with Issac Yankem, Haukushi, Lawler and JP Lafette.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

By most peoples definition of the "de-push and humble", it happened to Bret in 1995 when he had to feud with Issac Yankem, Haukushi, Lawler and JP Lafette.

That wasn't so much de-pushing Bret as it was they really didn't have anything for him to do since they had Diesel as the top babyface at the time. The fact that he took 6 months off instead of getting caught in more bad midcard acts in 96 when HBK was the top face kinda supports this. I wonder how different things would have been had he turned heel in 95.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

That wasn't so much de-pushing Bret as it was they really didn't have anything for him to do since they had Diesel as the top babyface at the time. The fact that he took 6 months off instead of getting caught in more bad midcard acts in 96 when HBK was the top face kinda supports this. I wonder how different things would have been had he turned heel in 95.

It wasn't Bret who needed to turn heel, it was Lex Luger.

Rumble '94 ended with Bret and Lex both winning as the 1A and 1B babyfaces of the company. At Wrestlemania X, Lex fell short and Bret became the hero of the company. There was a lack of WWF heels at the time so they had to continue the Bret/Owen program as a main event program when Owen was little more than a midcard heel. Turning Lex Luger and running Lex vs. Bret, maybe with Lex now the ace of the Million Dollar Corperation was sitting right in front of them. Instead, Lex stays a babyface, works with Tatanka for a bit, starts a "Don't know what the gently caress to do with these guys" tag team with British Bulldog then bolts to WCW.

Lex would have been a perfect foil for Bret Hart in 1994 and could have been a credible heel WWF World Champion. Not only that, but he would have been the perfect guy for a Royal Rumble *winning* Diesel to face at Wrestlemania XI.

For those who say this program would have sucked, Bret Hart and Lex Luger had a drat good match, albeit forgotten now, on an episode of WCW Thunder for the US Title.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Lone Rogue posted:

For those who say this program would have sucked, Bret Hart and Lex Luger had a drat good match, albeit forgotten now, on an episode of WCW Thunder for the US Title.

In 1994, I don't know many people Bret COULDN'T get a decent to great match out of, so I don't think there's any question the matches would have at least been alright. The problem is actually building and executing the feud itself. That's pretty questionable when Luger is on one side of the mic and Bret Hart is the guy who has to pick up his slack.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

It wasn't Bret who needed to turn heel, it was Lex Luger.

Rumble '94 ended with Bret and Lex both winning as the 1A and 1B babyfaces of the company. At Wrestlemania X, Lex fell short and Bret became the hero of the company. There was a lack of WWF heels at the time so they had to continue the Bret/Owen program as a main event program when Owen was little more than a midcard heel. Turning Lex Luger and running Lex vs. Bret, maybe with Lex now the ace of the Million Dollar Corperation was sitting right in front of them. Instead, Lex stays a babyface, works with Tatanka for a bit, starts a "Don't know what the gently caress to do with these guys" tag team with British Bulldog then bolts to WCW.

Lex would have been a perfect foil for Bret Hart in 1994 and could have been a credible heel WWF World Champion. Not only that, but he would have been the perfect guy for a Royal Rumble *winning* Diesel to face at Wrestlemania XI.

Luger had only turned face in the summer of '93. I'm generally not a fan of turning a guy so quickly like that.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
As a stupid foreigner who just noticed a channel started running WWE RAW wrestling or something like that, I just have to ask...

I did know wrestling was a weird "sport", but is all of it like the aforementioned series/tournament/whatever?

I mean it's like a horrible soap opera coupled with the most stupid form of choreographed "fighting" I have ever seen (only seen one episode but drat it was horrible.)

A friend of mine and myself who saw that one episode can't figure out one thing though, how much of it is choreographed and does the people watching know? What is the point of it? I mean it makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I could probably find something if I looked hard enough I but found this thread, and :effort:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

KillerKatten posted:

As a stupid foreigner who just noticed a channel started running WWE RAW wrestling or something like that, I just have to ask...

I did know wrestling was a weird "sport", but is all of it like the aforementioned series/tournament/whatever?

I mean it's like a horrible soap opera coupled with the most stupid form of choreographed "fighting" I have ever seen (only seen one episode but drat it was horrible.)

A friend of mine and myself who saw that one episode can't figure out one thing though, how much of it is choreographed and does the people watching know? What is the point of it? I mean it makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I could probably find something if I looked hard enough I but found this thread, and :effort:

Most of the matches is made up on the fly, and the degree to which they're planned changes match to match, wrestler to wrestler.

Wrestling exists in this weird bubble, for probably the last 15 years, where it's trying to work out what to be, between pure 'sport' (pretending it's real, crowd acts like it's real, cheer for things) and theatre (admits it's fake, crowd admits it knows it's fake, what the gently caress happens to cheering).

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

KillerKatten posted:

The outcomes and the big happenings during each match are planned out, however the rest of the time it's usually improvisation. The opponents will talk to each other during the matches, letting them know what is coming. The refs also act as a timekeeper, telling when to finish up the match.

It's not all going to be like the Royal Rumble, but there will always be storylines like the ones above.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

KillerKatten posted:

That it's scripted is well known by just about everyone except kids. For a while wrestlers had to keep mum about it in public, but now they only have to keep up the act on the shows themselves. It's basically a silly action movie with deliberately over-the-top dramatic story stuff thrown in. So kinda like a soap I guess.

Matches usually aren't planned blow-by-blow (though they can be), but they know in advance who has to win and how and when. Every wrestler knows how to do certain set-ups and how to react to the opponent's moves to make it look like they got hurt worse than they did. It's not entirely stage-fighting- they take a few bumps and bruises, and it can really wear down a body in the long term (hence problems with abuse of painkillers.) I'd say it's closest to movie stunt work, in that you can really get hosed up if something goes wrong, so you have to know what you're doing.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the quick replies!

Just one more fast one:

How big is it compared to other sports of the same nature; boxing, MMA etc?

Oh, and another one: I do get the feeling it is most popular in the south, is this correct?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

KillerKatten posted:

Just one more fast one:

Oh, and another one: I do get the feeling it is most popular in the south, is this correct?

Less popular than MMA, I think more than boxing nowadays.

Also, the South isn't as big a wrestling area as it used to be. The East Coast is a very big wrestling area nowadays since that's where all the 'big' independant promotions start (ROH, ECW, etc)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

KillerKatten posted:

Just one more fast one:

Not very. Had a big run in the late 90s, when the two major companies- WWE and WCW (now defunct) both had shows on Monday prime time and the competition really pushed them forward- but since then WWE's lost most of the guys who were big stars then and only have a few guys who are known outside the fandom. MMA's cut into their market share too. It probably doesn't help that their only competition is, well, not much of one. (The less you know about TNA the better.)

quote:

I'm sure that was true before but I'm not sure how much it is now. WWE itself is based in New York (EDIT: Connecticut, I am dumb) but they go all around the country, and there a lot of regional promotions now gaining exposure via the internet, from places like Portland in the Northwest and Los Angeles, California.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 1, 2011

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

KillerKatten posted:

Just one more fast one:

MMA is the 'hot' sport right now. It's doing outragesly well on PPV every month. It's what wrestling was during the late 1990's. Boxing, well, it's dead basically. Every year you might have a Pacqiuo fight, which draws big, but other than that it's gone. So in-between those two.

Nope, not true. Wrestling has always been popular in several places. WWE is a northeastern-based company, so it has had more popularity there in the past than other companies.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

KillerKatten posted:

I'm curious as to what country you're from if you've never seen pro wrestling before.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KillerKatten posted:

Just one more fast one:

MMA is massively bigger than wrestling right now and into the foreseeable future, as much as wrestling fans hate to admit that. MMA is pretty much hijacking the wrestling audience and the one really respected newsman in wrestling spends at least as much time covering MMA. Boxing has been on a downward slide for years due to many issues.

It's difficult to describe it as something that is particular to a region these days, setting aside your thinly veiled disdain for it and its audience. The days of it being a regional phenomenon are long over. Minnesota actually produced many of the last few decades' most celebrated wrestlers.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not very. Had a big run in the late 90s, when the two major companies- WWE and WCW (now defunct) both had shows on Monday prime time and the competition really pushed them forward- but since then WWE's lost most of the guys who were big stars then and only have a few guys who are known outside the fandom. MMA's cut into their market share too. It probably doesn't help that their only competition is, well, not much of one. (The less you know about TNA the better.)

I'm sure that was true before but I'm not sure how much it is now. WWE itself is based in New York but they go all around the country, and there a lot of regional promotions now gaining exposure via the internet, from places like Portland in the Northwest and Los Angeles, California.

I don't think you could say it's "not very big" compared to boxing and MMA. While boxing and MMA can do better PPV numbers, in boxing it has to be a fairly huge fight, and big boxing PPVs only happen a couple of times per year. UFC has them beat on PPV, and has much more mainstream success right now, but it has to be noted that RAW is still consistently one of the highest if not THE highest rated show on cable television each week. Business is down from the huge heights of the 90s, but it still has a huge audience.

But it's also not a "sport" like MMA or boxing. Like has been said, everyone is aware it's a staged drama, not a competitive contest.

Also, WWE is based in Connecticut, not New York. I'm not sure if this whole series is a troll or what, but if you're wondering about wrestling demographics, they trend more towards the Democratic Party in the US than the GOP.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Wrong thread

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I'm curious as to what country you're from if you've never seen pro wrestling before.

I'm from Norway.

There was something on in the 90's sometime, I think, but I was pretty much a kid in the 90's and didn't care much about wrestling I guess. (Or possible weren't allowed to be awake when it aired)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

El Duke posted:

I don't think you could say it's "not very big" compared to boxing and MMA. While boxing and MMA can do better PPV numbers, in boxing it has to be a fairly huge fight, and big boxing PPVs only happen a couple of times per year. UFC has them beat on PPV, and has much more mainstream success right now, but it has to be noted that RAW is still consistently one of the highest if not THE highest rated show on cable television each week. Business is down from the huge heights of the 90s, but it still has a huge audience.

True. I didn't actually know how badly boxing was doing until this question. To quote Niles Crane, I didn't even know it was boxing season.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

KillerKatten posted:

I'm from Norway.

There was something on in the 90's sometime, I think, but I was pretty much a kid in the 90's and didn't care much about wrestling I guess. (Or possible weren't allowed to be awake when it aired)

http://www.wrestling.no/

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
RAW hasn't been the top show on cable in a long time, and it doesn't make the top 5 most weeks, although it's usually in the top 20 somewhere towards the middle or bottom. In addition to football it also regularly gets beat by stuff like Jersey Shore, Pawn Stars, and random Disney shows now.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

RAW hasn't been the top show on cable in a long time, and it doesn't make the top 5 most weeks, although it's usually in the top 20 somewhere towards the middle or bottom. In addition to football it also regularly gets beat by stuff like Jersey Shore, Pawn Stars, and random Disney shows now.

You're right, it hasn't been number one in a while, I didn't realize how long, but most weeks it is in the top 10 or right under, not the bottom of the 20, as long as it's not a weird week like BCS bowl week or something.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Maxwell Lord posted:

and there a lot of regional promotions now gaining exposure via the internet, from places like Portland in the Northwest

Tell me more.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

http://www.wrestling.no/

Please go and watch / videotape this, so that you can tell us if it's anywhere near as magical as we all imagined it to be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The A-Team Van posted:

Tell me more.

Hmm, I may have been wrong on that one, Internet says PNW collapsed a while back.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hmm, I may have been wrong on that one, Internet says PNW collapsed a while back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Wrestling#The_.22New.22_Portland_Wrestling

That has some confusing poo poo, but there is literally nothing of note here. I found something that has a Myspace page that is "friends only." I posted some videos from them in the video thread, and they are utterly horrible.

I wish we had something here.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
How did JBL's big push happen?

I'm pretty sure no one would have ever predicted Bradshaw main eventing singles matches in 1999/2000.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

How did JBL's big push happen?

I'm pretty sure no one would have ever predicted Bradshaw main eventing singles matches in 1999/2000.

smackdown ran out of heels and was in damage control mode from losing Lesnar. It was only supposed to be a short feud with Guerrero, but Eddie lost confidence in himself when ratings and buyrates weren't doing too well and asked to drop the belt. There really wasn't anyone else for the belt to go to (Taker was only working part time then) so JBL got his big break.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The A-Team Van posted:

Tell me more.
I saw Bryan Alvarez wrestle last summer in Tulalip, Wa. and they put nearly all of their matches on the internet, though their site resembles a fourteen-year-old's Geocities page.

http://www.tulalipchampionshipwrestling.com/sep7.html

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

smackdown ran out of heels and was in damage control mode from losing Lesnar. It was only supposed to be a short feud with Guerrero, but Eddie lost confidence in himself when ratings and buyrates weren't doing too well and asked to drop the belt. There really wasn't anyone else for the belt to go to (Taker was only working part time then) so JBL got his big break.

Also his tag team partner retired at the same time and he had a gimmick change after doing really well with stocks in real life, even releasing a book about it. He also got a bit of attention for goosestepping at a house show in Germany.

Kurt Angle, Big Show, Booker T, RVD, and Rey Mysterious were also on the Smackdown roster at that point btw, so they weren't really that desperate. JBL was excellent on the mic and decent in the ring (kinda like an old fat Miz) and a venerable lockerroom leader/bully.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

This sounds familiar, I must have all ready asked this question in this thread, oops. Thanks anyway.

How did the transition from Bradshaw of the APA to JBL happen?

How long had the JBL character been around before he got a title shot?

I totally missed the JBL run, my interest in wrestling came back right after he lost to Mysterio at Mania, it would be great if anyone could recommend some matches from the JBL period, because from what I've seen he was fantastic.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jbl's best period was when he was color commentator on smackdown

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

This sounds familiar, I must have all ready asked this question in this thread, oops. Thanks anyway.

How did the transition from Bradshaw of the APA to JBL happen?

How long had the JBL character been around before he got a title shot?

I totally missed the JBL run, my interest in wrestling came back right after he lost to Mysterio at Mania, it would be great if anyone could recommend some matches from the JBL period, because from what I've seen he was fantastic.

JBL lost the title to Cena. Rey won the next year from Angle (by pinning Orton).

One week he refused to stand up to Paul Heyman with Faarooq, the next week he interfered in the main event, then he was JBL the week after that and started kissing babies and defending the border from Mexicans.

His first PPV match as JBL was a a wwe title match, whch he won via DQ. He won the title on the next ppv.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Web Jew.0 posted:

JBL lost the title to Cena. Rey won the next year from Angle (by pinning Orton).

One week he refused to stand up to Paul Heyman with Faarooq, the next week he interfered in the main event, then he was JBL the week after that and started kissing babies and defending the border from Mexicans.

His first PPV match as JBL was a a wwe title match, whch he won via DQ. He won the title on the next ppv.

Heyman punished The APA by making them have a match and the loser was fired. A few days later Ron Simmons was fired for real.
He cut a promo somewhere during all this stating how he was all American. I seem to remember him slowly added more texas back into his ring attire before dropping tights altogether and wearing trunks.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Web Jew.0 posted:

Don't forget defending the world from the horrors of Godzilla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8hWJ1zbxs

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Gonna need to ask about this:

Critical posted:

The Muta Scale - A scale to measure how much blood is in a match. Named after a match in japan where the Great Muta bladed too deep and proceeded to bleed profusely all over his opponent. Rates 0.1-1.0, with 1.0 being the worst. There have been worse incidents, such as ... when Undertaker did the same and accidentally bled into Brock Lesnar's open mouth. Yummy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atticus Finch posted:

No Mercy 2002, Hell in a Cell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Atticus Finch posted:

Was that the time Brock smeared blood across his chest on purpose or is that another crazy blood incident? I vaguely remember him doing that at some point unless I'm imagining it.