Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Pladdicus posted:

How about this, I run into 1203 and punch shoot and kick (just shoot and kick) the hussar. How's that sit with folks? Any glaring issues with the plan?

This owns. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In 3067, Caesar Steiner gives +5 init to the 2nd Donegal. Good stuff.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tempest_56 posted:

Yes. Yes it would. 8 points will blow off the head or either arm, and leave the legs/side torsos with 1 point internal left. Only a direct CT shot won't break the armor.

However keep in mind that the Hussar has no important components in the arms or side torsos. Half the mech is little more than ablative armor.

Yeah but if we get lucky with a leg crit that basically makes the thing a limping target. It's probably the best option for an initial hit on a Hussar.

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, Clan ones don't really fit in to my thing anyway. Also I picture them as the Coke commercial from The Invention of Lying ("Coke. It's very famous.")

Why do I suddenly have the image of a Clan-vs-IS commercial (like the 'Mac & PC') ones here? :D

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Bounty Hunter: g0 p0

Was there ever a story for this guy other than in the 3025 fluff? Or am I crazy and misremembering that for a while the BH was actually the Red Corsair, aka Katrina Steiner?

quote:

Jamie Wolf: g0 p0

It's always spelled Jaime IIRC and I never could figure out how it's 'supposed' to be pronounced.

quote:

Jeremiah "I cheat and everyone still thinks I'm awesome, gently caress you" Rose: g1 p2

He really, really does. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, Justin Xiang should be higher rated than K A-L, because Kai makes reference to the fact that his dad can smoke him in his family mech 'sims. And because Justin is cooler. :colbert:

This is totally true. :colbert::hf::colbert:

quote:

Well... the crossbow's an OK fire support mech if it has a close range guard, and the naga... is... a naga. I guess. I mean... sure? Why wouldn't you just mount the damned Arrow IVs on a tracked artillery platform? Seriously? Why wouldn't you do that instead? And it's not even something you can take out, no, because neither Arrow IV is part of an Omnipod. :saddowns:

Because it's the Clans and everything by definition is inferior to a mech. :colbert:

Slaapaav posted:

<REDACTED> loving owns.

I am really curious to how alternate history will handle them.

I anticipate lots of pants-making GBS threads. It will be glorious.

Defiance Industries posted:

Fun fact: back before they set a limit at 0/0, Morgan Kell was -1/-2.

You have to represent loving mech piloting zen magic somehow! :downs:

Arquinsiel posted:

Natasha Kerensky is still a pure monster though, she just gives no gently caress about your special rules, you don't have them anymore.

It took Joanna getting involved to get Kerensky killed. She's that loving hardcore.

both of them

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pladdicus posted:

How about this, I run into 1203 and punch shoot and kick (just shoot and kick) the hussar. How's that sit with folks? Any glaring issues with the plan?

Wait, I thought we'd agreed not to rambo the Hussar and instead fall back carefully? Can we not get killed? I thought this was a joke! Waahhhhh!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Wait, I thought we'd agreed not to rambo the Hussar and instead fall back carefully?

Pladdicus is our resident hot dog pilot (who's gonna get hisself killed pulling that poo poo)

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

At least the Naga has the distinction of not looking really silly unlike some other dedicated fire support mechs like oh say, the Yeoman.

Hey guys I got a great idea, lets take the concept of the Catapult, slap on even more missiles, leave it with no close-range weaponry whatsoever, and make it look ridiculous to boot! :downs:

And this is from the same people who produced the Wraith, which is a mech that is apparently somewhat amazing. So how they went from that to the Yeoman is a mystery.

This thing reminds me so much of that Korean Weapon the 'Hwacha'. Out of curiosity, because I've never seen that mech before, whats it called?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Adam500 posted:

This thing reminds me so much of that Korean Weapon the 'Hwacha'. Out of curiosity, because I've never seen that mech before, whats it called?

The Yeoman. Which is... listed in the part you quoted.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

WarLocke posted:

It took Joanna getting involved to get Kerensky killed. She's that loving hardcore.

both of them
There is another fan theory that Joanna and Natasha switched places so that Joanna could get killed and have her genes added to the Wolf Clan genepool, given that Natasha had already passed on her genetic legacy and gave no gently caress anymore. IE: Natasha is still wrecking poo poo.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

It's always spelled Jaime IIRC and I never could figure out how it's 'supposed' to be pronounced.

If it's not an issue of a "misprint that they decided to stick with" then Jamie is a spanish name so the "J" sounds like a "H". You'd pronoucne it "high-me". google translate pronunciation

WarLocke posted:

You have to represent loving mech piloting zen magic somehow! :downs:

Does anyone else in universe pull anything close to his "phantom mech" crap?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

I think Jaime/Jamie/whatever Wolf did at one point. Interestingly enough, both he and Morgan Kell pilot Archers.

Other pilots (like Phelan or Kai) are ridiculously good but don't get the magic "you can't target me" poo poo for whatever reason.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I think Jaime/Jamie/whatever Wolf did at one point. Interestingly enough, both he and Morgan Kell pilot Archers.

Other pilots (like Phelan or Kai) are ridiculously good but don't get the magic "you can't target me" poo poo for whatever reason.

Hardcore BattleTech fans kind of raged out over it, so I think the writers decided to ignore it after that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm a little confused. So, smaller numbers are good? How does that work again?:psyduck:

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

The Yeoman. Which is... listed in the part you quoted.

:doh: I swear I read the post twice and didn't see it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

paragon1 posted:

I'm a little confused. So, smaller numbers are good? How does that work again?:psyduck:

your base piloting skill is added to each attack

so it goes like this:

to hit roll: Base piloting skill + movement of you + range + enemy movement + other modifiers = number you have to roll higher than or equal too to hit the target.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Basically, your pilot and gunnery skills are numbers that modify what you need to roll to succeed at something. So if you're shooting, and the shot is a difficulty of 6, and you have a gunnery score of 3, then you need to roll above 9 to hit your target.

EDIT: e.f.b.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Longinus00 posted:

Morgan Kell, Yorinaga Kurita, and Jamie Wolf could all do it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Patrick Kell also allegedly did it during his last fight.

MonkeyDonkey
Jul 9, 2001
:milk:
Is there anyone playing pick up games of megamek or similar? It has been an age since I've played some battletech.

Also the talk of the uselessness of machine guns a few pages back reminded me that in Solaris 7 rules machine guns were brutal.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Axe-man posted:

your base piloting skill is added to each attack

so it goes like this:

to hit roll: Base piloting skill + movement of you + range + enemy movement + other modifiers = number you have to roll higher than or equal too to hit the target.

Ah, thanks. I really hope we haven't moved on to Megamek by the time my turn rolls around. I fear for any lance placed under my utter noobness.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Ah, thanks. I really hope we haven't moved on to Megamek by the time my turn rolls around. I fear for any lance placed under my utter noobness.

Luckily, Megamek handles all the math for you. It'll even give you an easy-to-figure out percentile chance for each shot!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Luckily, Megamek handles all the math for you. It'll even give you an easy-to-figure out percentile chance for each shot!

Yeah, honestly Megamek is probably the best way for a noob to get used to Battletech rules. Even the AI presents a good enough challenge for a rookie to get basic tactics into their head. It even lists the modifiers to your shots!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

To be honest, the REAL trick to learning Battletech is simple, and that is knowing your ranges. Mech movement ranges, weapon firing ranges, how much terrain affects your movement ranges... once you've got those down, it's pretty easy to figure out 'move to hex, fire when ready.'

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

To be honest, the REAL trick to learning Battletech is simple, and that is knowing your ranges. Mech movement ranges, weapon firing ranges, how much terrain affects your movement ranges... once you've got those down, it's pretty easy to figure out 'move to hex, fire when ready.'

I would agree, that the proviso that heat management is also a trick, albeit not a very complex one.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Natasha Kerensky is still a pure monster though, she just gives no gently caress about your special rules, you don't have them anymore.
Really, they should just use the mechanics for fighting Caine from oWoD for her. "You lose."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yes they should.

In unrelated news, I am in no way shape or form considering making Black Widow Company t-shirts for myself......

What I've found to be the real "trick" to Battletech specifically, is working out that point where being cautious or being aggressive is the better choice. There's a very fine line between making your own shots harder than you're making the opponant's and guaranteeing you'll get hit but also getting a good chance of a hit in yourself.

The rules are a bit of a hurdle at first, but play once a week for a month or so with Solaris Skunkwerks record sheets and get some early Megamek in and you're sailing.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
^^^^
Yeah I'm trying to find out where that limit is too, as a novice player. I find that most times I'm sitting in good cover and taking shots at long range, because any time I try to take the fight to the enemy I end up losing due to all the movement penalties. I'm sure I could be doing it differently, but somehow the bot always seems to have way better rolls than I do :(

Yeah Megamek makes it so easy that once you figure out the basic limitations of what you can and cannot do, and how to do it in the interface, you can start winning battles pretty quickly. I've never once played Battletech but out of my first 5 matches in Megamek I've come away with 3 wins. Seeing the math and percentages right there in front of you takes a lot of the intimidation factor out of a game like this.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 1, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Casualty posted:

^^^^
Yeah I'm trying to find out where that limit is too, as a novice player. I find that most times I'm sitting in good cover and taking shots at long range, because any time I try to take the fight to the enemy I end up losing due to all the movement penalties. I'm sure I could be doing it differently, but somehow the bot always seems to have way better rolls than I do :(
I've been at this for about ten years now, and sometimes I still catch myself and think "what the gently caress are you doing? FUKKEN CHARGE DAMMIT!" and then it all goes right suddenly.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
PSH! I jumpjetted into the woods, JUST TO SEE WHAT THE MECHANICS ON JUMPJETTING INTO THE WOODS WERE! I live for danger! Mostly, I live to roll melee attacks! Bring it on! I'll kick that Hussar square in the FACE :black101:

ORDERS INCOMING.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

PSH! I jumpjetted into the woods, JUST TO SEE WHAT THE MECHANICS ON JUMPJETTING INTO THE WOODS WERE! I live for danger! Mostly, I live to roll melee attacks! Bring it on! I'll kick that Hussar square in the FACE :black101:

ORDERS INCOMING.

Go with God, son. Jumping into woods and stacking as many to-hit modifiers as possible onto your mech is the way of truth and beauty.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I think the only way I can reach it is through jumpjetting. Hmmm.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

ORDERS INCOMING.

It may not be the tactically wisest maneuver, but I respect the guts.

Which may or may not be smeared across the battlefield shortly.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

It may not be the tactically wisest maneuver, but I respect the guts.

Which may or may not be smeared across the battlefield shortly.

Mostly I'm pissed he hit on an 11. That bastard must pay.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

You sir are an inspiration to us all.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Punch, kick, it's all in the mind! :black101:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Can you set your facing after jumping?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Can you set your facing after jumping?

Yes, you can choose any direction to face. Jumping owns.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I know how this will end. My mech is going to end up skewered by trees, rupturing the ammo and death. It has been foretold from the beginning, I am an agent of prophecy and the cocoon of steel and gunpowder will be my tomb!

(Unless I forgot the rules :()

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
hopefully he will fire at me sir and save you from being killed :patriot:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Aaaand, the sudden realization I lost a jumpjet sets in. Jump range means I land in the open, not the woods. While this negates the pilot check, it also gives me one number closer to be hit, by well, everything. Hmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Why does everyone assume that there is some sort of radar bending zen magic in Battletech?

Isn't it much more feasible that they just have a piece of prototype Lostec?

• Locked thread