Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

wiegieman posted:

Why does everyone assume that there is some sort of radar bending zen magic in Battletech?

Isn't it much more feasible that they just have a piece of prototype Lostec?

nullsig devices do exist and existed in the Star League era, but at the time, no one ever heard of it, and it was a true deux ex machina.

oh Hey a new page! I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHz1P5Obm0I&feature=related

just to keep the theme.

and yes that is what you think it is... that seems... ponderous

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Pladdicus posted:

Aaaand, the sudden realization I lost a jumpjet sets in. Jump range means I land in the open, not the woods. While this negates the pilot check, it also gives me one number closer to be hit, by well, everything. Hmmmm.

Gives the enemy a chance to see his doom as it descends upon him.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Axe-man posted:

It's an ARES!

I remember looking at one of those in the local hobby shop, counting the guns and realizing that it has the same amount of guns as a 2 legged model.

I can only hope that it's just a prototype and that the other tripods actually have the guns to justify bringing a third leg. Also, why didn't they just make it a quad?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Veyrall posted:

I remember looking at one of those in the local hobby shop, counting the guns and realizing that it has the same amount of guns as a 2 legged model.

I can only hope that it's just a prototype and that the other tripods actually have the guns to justify bringing a third leg. Also, why didn't they just make it a quad?

in battletech you could only have 4 limb locations, so to have a quad meant that you couldn't have weapons on the arms, all the designs and stuff like that is fluff, all the mechs we have shown and talked about have the same internal and extranal base. This tripod mech simply couldn't be made with the old style ruleset.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Gives the enemy a chance to see his doom as it descends upon him.

Aaaand. I'm convinced. Let's let the dice roll.

may god help me :ohdear:

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 1, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wiegieman posted:

Why does everyone assume that there is some sort of radar bending zen magic in Battletech?

Because Morgan Kell literally figures it out mid-battle, and Yorinaga Kurita sits in a monastary in exile until he Zens into it.

It *was* tried to be retconned as potential targeting confusion with updated tracking software trying to reconcile their unseen mechs with the reseen modern versions, but that kind of died a death.

Veyrall posted:

Because Whizkids were OMFG DIFFRNET AND BETTAR! WE HAZ MOAR LEGZ AND MORE GUNZ AND MOR TUNS OF STUFF!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Axe-man posted:

in battletech you could only have 4 limb locations, so to have a quad meant that you couldn't have weapons on the arms, all the designs and stuff like that is fluff, all the mechs we have shown and talked about have the same internal and extranal base. This tripod mech simply couldn't be made with the old style ruleset.

here is a picture that may help explain.

EVERY mech uses a external and internal structure simular to the ones below, no matter what the picture looks like, in the cold hard numbers, this is what it looks like on paper on the outside.

inside is where the location of the guns and ammo/engine and heat sinks etc are.

Click here for the full 847x797 image.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wiegieman posted:

That explanation only works if you never cross swords with ComStar or the Clans. Unfortunately Kell and Wolf both did that.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Axe-man posted:

here is a picture that may help explain.

EVERY mech uses a external and internal structure simular to the ones below, no matter what the picture looks like, in the cold hard numbers, this is what it looks like on paper on the outside.

inside is where the location of the guns and ammo/engine and heat sinks etc are.

Click here for the full 847x797 image.

That's an armor diagram. You can get official record sheets from directly from catalyst games (these are the older style versions).
mech
quad mech

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 1, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

That explanation only works if you never cross swords with ComStar or the Clans. Unfortunately Kell and Wolf both did that.

Not really, there could have been some kind of one-off wonderbox that wasn't mass-produced and which the Clans and Comstar never saw.

Happens all the time.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

That's an armor diagram. You can get official record sheets from directly from catalyst games.

yeah i wanted to just show a fluffy version of it, without getting to into the numbers and stuff :3:

edited your quote
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 1, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Axe-man posted:

yeah i wanted to just show a fluffy version of it, without getting to into the numbers and stuff :3:

I just realized that the combined record sheet might spoil some stuff so I edited it to the individual record sheets.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Not really, there could have been some kind of one-off wonderbox that wasn't mass-produced and which the Clans and Comstar never saw.

Happens all the time.

Jaime Wolf's Archer was second-line Clan hardware that he won in a fight with it's previous pilot. Dude didn't just find it; it was in active field use by a more advanced society than the Star League in terms of hardware. Even if the Clans hadn't seen one before, they would be able to examine and reverse engineer it.

Phantom mech really doesn't work beyond the 3025 setting, hence why it is quietly ignored.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 1, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pladdicus posted:

Aaaand. I'm convinced. Let's let the dice roll.

may god help me :ohdear:

What the gently caress. It's game over man, game over!

I guess I might have to move forward and give these guys some backup. Unfortunately there is no obvious location to move to that has me totally screened from fire.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 1, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What the gently caress.

What particular retarded plan are you going to do. You might need some back up out there.

In the end, they can only target me with a large laser and a medium(plus some long range MG's I'm not too worried about), jumpjetting+moving+them running gives me a substantial chance to avoid, figuring they're targetting me, you guys will be safe and I can absorb the, hopeful, misses. Either way, the Hussar has to take damage, and point blank 2xMedium Laser, Machine Gun, Flamer and Kick(I have no idea the hit chance on this, to be honest, but I figured I should toss it in) will do at least -something-

I hope anyway. The alternative was sitting in the woods at medium range while he pops me with a short range large laser shot again, and I'm getting tired of those hitting. Or, the other alternative of hiding behind the hills and getting an almost assured miss.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I've got his back, i'm standing and firing. presenting a better target i hope.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I've got his back, i'm standing and firing. presenting a better target i hope.

Fyeah! We have them 3-2 (discounting duel)

We should go in guns blazing to take them out with superior fire power, not hiding behind rocks! They have -really- piss poor firepower, to the point where the Vulcan overpowers both of them. (even after losing my two guns)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

You could jump jet to 1013, then he cannot even see you, and neither can the spider.

We can all break line of sight this turn -

B) Jumps to 0913
C) You jump to 1013
D) I jump to 1215

Then they are shooting at air. Why are people taking a bullet that we don't have to risk?

I appreciate that we have them outgunned, but we don't have to kill them this turn - we can wait a turn, then take them when we are virtually assured a kill. Bear in mind I cannot even shoot this turn - if I jump jet in to attack, I am absolutely unable to hit the Hussar at all!

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 1, 2011

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pladdicus posted:

In the end, they can only target me with a large laser and a medium(plus some long range MG's I'm not too worried about), jumpjetting+moving+them running gives me a substantial chance to avoid, figuring they're targetting me, you guys will be safe and I can absorb the, hopeful, misses. Either way, the Hussar has to take damage, and point blank 2xMedium Laser, Machine Gun, Flamer and Kick(I have no idea the hit chance on this, to be honest, but I figured I should toss it in) will do at least -something-
Ah, the "gently caress It, We'll Do It Live" strategy.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
This is actually getting tense. That Hussar, with that kind of gunnery skills, is actually lancing straight through perfectly good BattleMechs. :gonk:

I wonder how the luck's holding out. I hope its holding! :ohdear:

Anyway, I mentioned it several pages back, and I can tell that this is driving some people into a BattleTech frenzy that Poptarts' update schedule cannot sate, so I went and made that thread about a MegaMek campaign: FCEF.

And yes, I know the Federated Commonwealth hasn't actually been constituted as of 3028. There's a good reason for the campaign being called what it is that you'll find out if you play it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

Ah, the "gently caress It, We'll Do It Live" strategy.

In Final Fantasy 9, there was a fight early in the game that allowed you to use a special command called, I believe, SFX. Now, these moves were overly flashy magic type attacks that did no damage, served no other purpose than to amuse.

I used every single one of those moves, because I have a drea-

Ah screw it. I did it cause it's cool :)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Revised orders submitted. I'm really worried pladicus is going to die when both the spider and the Hussar unload on him :ohdear:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Revised orders submitted. I'm really worried pladicus is going to die when both the spider and the Hussar unload on him :ohdear:

Me too, friend, me too.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

No guts, no glory!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

It will all be fine. You can always eject. I just need one more hit on the leg and we will have a relatively pristine Dragon for salvage that you can pilot in future battles. :shobon:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

No guts, no glory!

In the trite aphorisms stake I prefer "there are old men and bold men, but no old bold men."

More seriously the rambo plan doesn't much sense from a mission context, but it is pretty watchable!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

In the trite aphorisms stake I prefer "there are old men and bold men, but no old bold men."

More seriously the rambo plan doesn't much sense from a mission context, but it is pretty watchable!

My reasoning was thusly, if they're between us and the dropship, and they run, what gets discovered?

I don't know if that's a bad thing, but well, that's the way I figured it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If the dropship gets discovered I'm pretty sure it's well-armed enough to fend off most mech-based assaults, especially just a Hussar which it could probably leave as a scorch mark on the ground before it has a chance to radio in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

wiegieman posted:

Because it is literally described as radar bending zen magic.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Because it is literally described as radar bending zen magic.

It also doesn't help that the only visual representation we've had of Null Sig is in Mech Assault which decided it was a goddamn cloaking device.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

If the dropship gets discovered I'm pretty sure it's well-armed enough to fend off most mech-based assaults, especially just a Hussar which it could probably leave as a scorch mark on the ground before it has a chance to radio in.

Right, but then the mission is all messed up because their entire job is to keep the scouts from reporting the location of the dropships so that the enemy can't send a big wave of assault mechs to kill them.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Angry_Ed posted:

It also doesn't help that the only visual representation we've had of Null Sig is in Mech Assault which decided it was a goddamn cloaking device.

to be fair to mech assualt (hey i like the combined arms approach of mechassault 2 honestly i wish all mechwarrior games were like that) there are Dark Age mechs the WoB has that DO HAVE CLOAKING DEVICES... NO I AM NOT JOKING :suicide:
edit for example:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raptor_II

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Void_Signature_System

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I liked the combined-arms stuff of MechAssault 2 as well. Also I didn't know that the WoB Dark Age mechs had cloaking.

The more I learn about Dark Age the worse I feel for having enjoyed it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Right, but then the mission is all messed up because their entire job is to keep the scouts from reporting the location of the dropships so that the enemy can't send a big wave of assault mechs to kill them.

This was pretty much my worry.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Axe-man posted:

to be fair to mech assualt (hey i like the combined arms approach of mechassault 2 honestly i wish all mechwarrior games were like that) there are Dark Age mechs the WoB has that DO HAVE CLOAKING DEVICES... NO I AM NOT JOKING :suicide:
edit for example:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raptor_II

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Void_Signature_System

Don't worry. Poptarts will keep us safe. He has a lot of experience killing things with cloaking devices, after all. Here, have some :11tea: and calm your nerves. The invisible battlemechs won't get us.

That unstoppable Hussar will kill us all first.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's only unstoppable because nobody's fired a single shot at it yet.

This is a Hussar

HSR-300-D Hussar
Weight: 30 tons (Class)
HD A(S): 3/3 (3/3)
LT A(S): 3/3 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 1/1
CT A(S): 4/4 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 1/1
RT A(S): 3/3 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 1/1
LA A(S): 2/2(5/5)
RA A(S): 2/2 (5/5)
LL A(S): 2/2 (7/7)
RL A(S): 2/2 (7/7)

It has two defenses: Speed, and people not shooting at it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

i have two :greatgift: just for him! :supaburn:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This must be how the "Phantom Mech" phenomenon works in the novels.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is a Hussar

HSR-300-D Hussar
Weight: 30 tons (Class)
HD A(S): 3/3 (3/3)
LT A(S): 3/3 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 1/1
CT A(S): 4/4 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 1/1
RT A(S): 3/3 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 1/1
LA A(S): 2/2(5/5)
RA A(S): 2/2 (5/5)
LL A(S): 2/2 (7/7)
RL A(S): 2/2 (7/7)

It has two defenses: Speed, and people not shooting at it.

I want to shoot it so badly. It would be so amusing if after all the angst I smack it with a single PPC and shear off a leg and put an end to all this madness. Sadly, there is another leg that I wish to shear off right now. One that would be far more hilarious (The Blackjack).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

I want to shoot it so badly. It would be so amusing if after all the angst I smack it with a single PPC and shear off a leg and put an end to all this madness. Sadly, there is another leg that I wish to shear off right now. One that would be far more hilarious (The Blackjack).

You know i can DFA you right? :v:

• Locked thread