Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

_areaman posted:

I only read this thread now out of habit. I graduated with a computer science degree and decided programming wasn't for me, and worked at a PR firm while I prepared for law school. I did well on the LSAT (170) and applied to law schools and then retracted everything because of this thread. I then very quickly found a job as an entry level software engineer at a start-up that has subsequently exploded. Whether this counts as 'real' engineering or not is a matter of debate but it has similarities.

It's been the best decision of my life, and I realized I actually do love programming, which is why I got a CS degree in the first place. The hours are amazing and I can work from home whenever I feel like it. It is also high paying and extremely interesting... I can't remember who said it, but a piece of advice I heard once was, "Find a job you like to do and you'll never work a day in your life". That's really the truth, I come home from work and feel really happy and fulfilled, not tired at all.

Moral of the story? Don't go to law school. I have several friends who took this route (partly why I was applying) and they are now jobless, Panera Bread, and still in school with no hope. I have two friends at North Eastern, 3L and 2L, and they are totally hosed, no hope what-so-ever.

If you can do anything else do that, and if you like computers try giving programming a shot, at least in Boston good engineers are in high demand.

You forgot to mention your model wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Hooray I get to spend three days in New Orleans*

*on document review

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I got my final grades for law school.

My GPA has moved .02 since first semester 1L year.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

HiddenReplaced posted:

i'm below median

edit: but not as low as that guy that's doing fine and that we use as an example of below median

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 31, 2011

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

HiddenReplaced posted:

If I can post this in 2-2.5 years, I will celebrate.

Alone, probably, and unemployed, but celebrate nonetheless.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Elotana posted:

Hooray I get to spend three days in New Orleans*

*on document review

You should meet Phil Moscowitz and I for drinks.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
For those of you who are unbelievably bored and/or are giant nerds, I would like to remind everyone that the world famous Shakespeare Center of LA is staging a Hamlet trial. It's presided by Anthony Kennedy, with Helen Hunt and Some Guy From Saving Grace on the jury!

http://twitter.com/shakescenterLA

http://www.lawlawlandblog.com/2011/01/to_be_or_not_to_becrazy_law_la.html

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Are Deathwing still considered like Navajo braves from Indian planet or did GW get legal counsel yet

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Are Deathwing still considered like Navajo braves from Indian planet or did GW get legal counsel yet

I just read the codex and no

they're a bunch of space pussies worried that the rest of the imperium will find out that half of them went chaos

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I only have one grade so far :(

The one grade I have is an A- :smug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/lgl/2190429044.html

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7QtRCGQmrc

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Was that Bill Nye?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Was that Bill Nye?

Yes, yes it is.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Was that Bill Nye?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6h4zLC5U8

I'm Speedwalker.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Holland Oats posted:

I only have one grade so far :(

The one grade I have is an A- :smug:
minus? heh. :smug:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
digital short subject / screenshot + youtube ad combo

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Petey posted:

digital short subject / screenshot + youtube ad combo

Great, so online law schools are only behind penis enlargement and 1 QUICK WEIRD TIP FOR LOSING BELLY FAT FOR USE ACAI BERRY ads in terms of volume.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any law student here with access to heinonline want to get an article for me in PDF?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
protip: no law students should be reading this thread because there should not be any law students if people took this thread seriously

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Yeah what's up

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: no content

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 1, 2011

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Senteded.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
So I opted to pay off my car rather than the Barbri courses and I will be avoiding private loans like the plague. I'd rather live in my car down by the river than have Sallie Mae execute on its equity.

I will be paying cash for a Feb. 2011 barbri taker's books and filled in outline. What else do I need to pass? I can comfortably spend an additional $500 on study aids.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

blar posted:

So I opted to pay off my car rather than the Barbri courses and I will be avoiding private loans like the plague. I'd rather live in my car down by the river than have Sallie Mae execute on its equity.

I will be paying cash for a Feb. 2011 barbri taker's books and filled in outline. What else do I need to pass? I can comfortably spend an additional $500 on study aids.

That's all you should need. I'd buy some practice MBA questions if you don't have any.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

blar posted:

I spent $150 for the BarBri and PMBR materials from the previous bar exam, and went to live in Mexico where I self-studied for the February bar a few years ago. Came back tan and relaxed and aced it.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Macunaima posted:

I spent $150 for the BarBri and PMBR materials from the previous bar exam, and went to live in Mexico where I self-studied for the February bar a few years ago. Came back tan and relaxed and aced it.

Excellent avatar-post combination.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

luke. XI, 52, the bible, word of god, blessed be his name posted:

“Woe unto you, lawyers!
For ye have taken away the key of knowledge:
ye entered not in yourselves,
and them that were entering in ye hindered.”

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For you copyright-minded types:

Go to http://www.displays2go.com/

Right-click.

Laugh.

(Safe link, I promise, I just ordered some stuff off there for the office.)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I got interviews with the AF and Army JAG for 1L internships. Should I tell them about my grandfathers' adventures in The Great World War Two (some of their stories are pretty cool) or should this really just be about how pretty cool I am?

(I have no military background, but both of my grandfathers flew planes and I, like everyone else, have always been interested in what they did.)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sid Meier Jr. posted:

"Why you leaving after only eight hours SMJ?"
"My brain's done."
"ah."
There's a pretty good correlation between the "time in shift" at which a line of code/script's been written the chances that it's going to have to get fixed/rewritten.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Sulecrist posted:

I got interviews with the AF and Army JAG for 1L internships. Should I tell them about my grandfathers' adventures in The Great World War Two (some of their stories are pretty cool) or should this really just be about how pretty cool I am?

(I have no military background, but both of my grandfathers flew planes and I, like everyone else, have always been interested in what they did.)

This would probably be a pretty good explanation for the inevitable "why JAG/military" question but probably best make it too focal, especially since it's more than one generation removed from you.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sulecrist posted:

I think you can tell those stories if they ask if you have any military history in your family or something, but I wouldn't use those stories as evidence of your interest in JAG. In other words, they could be a fun icebreaker or something but you don't want to be "that guy" who appears to be grasping at any military connection in order to get the position. That would just come across wrong, I think.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Just got off the phone with a very old, venerable, war horse Texas attorney who's still trying cases.

Here're three things he told me.

"Law school ain't worth a handful of poo poo."

"Everyone who doesn't try cases is a loving sissy. gently caress litigation, go be a prosecutor for two years."

"You're useless now son. Get that goddamn degree and we'll talk."

Tick tock.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2011

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

entris posted:

For you copyright-minded types:

Go to http://www.displays2go.com/

Right-click.

Laugh.

(Safe link, I promise, I just ordered some stuff off there for the office.)

I lolled.

I get what they're getting at, but I think it's funnier to think that someone has copyrighted right clicking and sent them a subpoena.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
A potential client faxed my office 50 pages worth of documents today. That's not really out of the ordinary. What is strange is that it took 50 faxes to get the documents though. Apparently in this person's world you can only send one page per fax. Thank god it didn't come with 50 cover sheets.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Tick tock.

91 days till graduation.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

91 days till graduation.

8 months until I have to live in my mom's house if I don't find a better-paying job.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

"Everyone who doesn't try cases is a loving sissy. gently caress litigation, go be a prosecutor for two years."

Ah, Texas. One of the last vestiges of the American machismo culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

8 months until I have to live in my mom's house if I don't find a better-paying job.

I'm moving back in late May. Whenever Barbri starts. In re barbri, should I do online only or go to the class?

Should I even take barbri? It's $2,700 and I'm the one paying for it.